PDA

View Full Version : Week 2 Thoughts

Chidi29
09-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Could've been a more convincing win but anything to help ease the pain of the Baltimore game.

First Half

- Kickoff times: 4.15 (2), 4.35 (OZ), 4.24 (OZ), 4.07 (-8, TB), 3.4 (-5)

- Starting o-line: Scott, Foster, Pouncey, Legursky, Gilbert

- Sanders long catch and run on the first drive. Excellent matchup against the 6'4 Brandon Browner. Big corners like that aren't going to be as fluid in their hips or as quick-twitch. And Sanders did an excellent job of beating Browner's inside leverage on the slant.

- Same formation as we saw last week. This time, we faked the WR sweep, faked the inside trap (RG pulled instead of RT) and threw deep to Wallace. Pass interference put us on the one.

- Broke out the Bronko package on the goalline. Essex came in to play RG.

- 4th and goal stuff on Mendenhall. Legursky and Johnson are too focused on the LBers and miss Earl Thomas come darting in. You have to pick up the first guys to fill that gap. Plus, I don't understand the motion of Johnson from weakside to strongside. Thomas motions with him but Johnson fails to pick him up off the snap. No one has him. Why motion defenders into the play? Who is supposed to pick him up?

- Someone upstairs needed to alert Tomlin not to challenge the spot. Used two timeouts for this play and were left with one five minutes into the game. Luckilly didn't come back to bite us.

- I am really loving Mike Wallace. I was excited to have him in the past, but now I'm head over heels. He's becoming a complete receiver able to run the full route tree (my prediction/hope coming into the year). He's now able to use his speed to his advantage even when not going deep. Perfect example from early in the game. Wallace on a curl a few yards past the sticks. Lined up wide outside the numbers with a hard outside release. Marcus Trufant thinks it could be a streak and not wanting to take any chances of getting burned, turns his hips and starts getting upfield. Wallace simply gears down, runs his curl, and it's an easy pitch and catch. Picture that helps show this.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2eckqpu.jpg

Obviously a bit tough to see, but this is the beginning of Wallace coming out of his break. Trufant is turned, expecting the deep ball. Wallace gets a ton of separation and like I said, it's an easy first down.

- Great throw by Manny Sanders. On the money to Ward.

- On the following play, he tries to cut the WR downfield. He wasn't able to put him on the ground and the DB helped make the tackle. You can see him upset at himself which I really like to see. Not many WRs are going to get upset over run blocking; a lot of them treat it like a chore. Not this group, not when you have Hines Ward on this team.

- You can see the difference between goalline stops and TDs. All about the push by the line off the ball. On Mendenhall's TD, it's a great push (the spin to help shed contact and fall forward helped too). Doesn't matter who is in at running back, you need to have a line that will create enough of a gap for the RB to get through.

- Looks like Battle and Mundy were the wedgebusters.

- Gay read the QB/WR really well. Got out of his backpedal and closed quickly. Even forced Jackson to throw the ball away in one instance late in the 1st. Of course, it helps knowing Seattle doesn't have any vertical threats and run the WCO.

- Antonio Brown took advantage of Seattle's poor coverage unit with a long punt return.

- Part of why Ben's throws were sailing was a result of the pocket collapsing. Wasn't able to step into his throws and led to them being high.

- Great pull by Foster on Redman's TD.

- Keisel with another pass deflection as he did multiple times last season. Though it was negated by a Titans' penalty.

- I think "Ace" is an audible for a hitch route. Heard Ben say it and that was the play run.

- Legursky was a bit gimpy after being partially rolled on mid-way through the second quarter. Gilbert also tweaked his knee later in the game.

- Wes Saunders getting a little extra playing time. In addition to goalline like last week, we used some 3 TE sets outside of the goalline where he was in. Didn't look that good as a blocker thoguh. Whiffs and on the ground too much.

- Gilbert beat on inside spin on Ben's injury.

- Gay was the outside CB in our base and then kicked inside with Lewis out when we went to sub-packages.

Second Half

- Like Ben said in a post-game interview, I've never seen a QB hit on a screen to the WR. Happened early in the 3rd, and this one was a cheap shot. DT, without being tripped or pushed, hit Ben low.

- Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen were the starting gunners.

- Wrinkle in formation audibles. Went from I-Form to 5 wide in one instance. Looked like it was supposed to be a screen to Mendenhall, but Ben hit Wallace on a slant (probably depends on coverage/matchupss). The motion of Mendy from the offensive's left to right moved the LB and opened up the slant.

- 3rd and 2 toe tap catch by Ward: Ben calls off Arians, runs his own play. Did a great job of going through his progressions, keeping the play alive.

- Troy on near/dropped INT: Reads Jackson the whole way. Sees narrow splits from the WRs, both inside the hashes I think. Good chance of combo routes underneath and little threat of the deep ball especially with Seattle's vertically challenged offense. Against the TE, Troy knows there's even less of a chance of something deep. The route combo turns out to be an out/curl and Troy jumps the curl.

- Curtis Brown losing his cool on one play. After the whistle activites is a good way to find yourself inactive come gameday.

- Put backups in later in the game. Heyward (though Keisel was injured somewhere around this point), Hood, Foote, McClendon (now #90).

- Bad idea for Sanders to field a punt inside the five with his momentum carrying him backwards.

- Curtis Brown replaced Lewis as a gunner later in the game and made his presence known with a tackle.

- McClendon with his first career sack. Big hit on Jackson running a stunt the next play.

- Seattle wasn't in our territory until mid way through the 4th quarter.

- Ran an end around to Brown late in the game.

- Gilbert looked ok out there. Not much different than what I saw from him coming out of Florida. Did get a lot of help from the TE/RB chipping or staying in altogether, but he moves well laterally and can push the end upfield. Still want to see him as a nasty run blocker. He's decent, but I want to see that fire especially from a guy as big as he is.

- Foster played well. Better first step and leg drive than I've seen in the past. Finishes his blocks, too.

- Aaron Smith looked better but against inferior competition (rookies Moffitt, Carpenter).

- Defense did a really good job of shutting down the run. Not that Seattle was a big threat there, but ZBS always make me nervous. Shut down gaps and forced the backs to run East/West. Always a good combo.

Sacks

- 2nd and goal: 11:32 left in the 1st. 23 personnel. I'm actually going to blame Arians here. I know, I know, some of you think I couldn't do that but I am objective as I can be with every player. Just a bad playcall. Gilbert is asked to down block for a moment and then try to pull and pick up a blitzing CB. Doesn't stand a chance and Ben gets rocked. That's putting Gilbert in a position to lose.

Didn't like running the play to the left. Ben is at his best to his right, and I don't want to run it to the nearisde. Go farside where things are a bit more open. You're already squished being near the goalline.

- 1st and 20: :46 left in 3rd. Shotgun, 11. Pocket collapses on Ben. Scott and Redman start off double-teaming end but Redman peels off to block LB on blitz/cover assignment on him. Scott is driven back into the pocket.

Sack Counter (Game)

Bruce Arians: 1
Jonathan Scott: 1

Sack Counter (Season)

Ben Roethlisberger: 2
Jonathan Scott: 1.5
Good defensive scheme: 1
Willie Colon: .5

------------

Forgot to post the formation recordings like I did last year, comparing the number of FB to 5 wide sets. I'll start with last weeks followed by this weeks.

FB: 3
Pony: 0
Empty: 14

FB: 11
Pony: 0
Empty: 5

-----------

Injuries

Brett Keisel has a Grade 1 PCL sprain.

tube517
09-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Sack Counter (Season)

:chuckle:

Great stuff, Chidi :salute:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Sack Counter (Season)

:chuckle:

Great stuff, Chidi :salute:

Who did you pin the Sack/Fumble in the 1st quarter Ravens game on?? To me that was Kemo doubling over with J. Scott and not staying in his position to see the twist. Kemo is on the hook for 1 sack from that game.

Chidi29
09-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Who did you pin the Sack/Fumble in the 1st quarter Ravens game on?? To me that was Kemo doubling over with J. Scott and not staying in his position to see the twist. Kemo is on the hook for 1 sack from that game.

I took a different approach. I blamed it on Ben. He called slide protection to the right on that play, and I think it is tough to anticpate a stunt (which is tough enough as it is against Suggs, especially since there wasn't any indication at least in terms of his positioning that would show stunt) when you're expecting an overload blitz to the right and everyone sliding over, not thinking it's going to come from up the A gap.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2011, 04:47 PM
I took a different approach. I blamed it on Ben. He called slide protection to the right on that play, and I think it is tough to anticpate a stunt (which is tough enough as it is against Suggs, especially since there wasn't any indication at least in terms of his positioning that would show stunt) when you're expecting an overload blitz to the right and everyone sliding over, not thinking it's going to come from up the A gap.

If he called a slide protection to the right, then why the hell was Kemo moving over to the left to double the guy over Scott and leave a wide open lane to the QB that Terrence Cody could have driven a golf cart thru??

As a guy that played O line, coached highschool O line and still plays 7-man flag O line...you drop in pass protection, keep happy feet, have your head on a swivel and keep your butt between the QB and the LOS. O line is the "nail" in pass protection and Kemo left his assignment to be the "hammer" on the RDE. It was a selfish play and Kemo blew it!!!!

HollywoodSteel
09-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Great stuff, Chidi. Just an edit you might want to make -- Colon did not start at RT, obviously it was Gilbert.

Chidi29
09-21-2011, 05:55 PM
If he called a slide protection to the right, then why the hell was Kemo moving over to the left to double the guy over Scott and leave a wide open lane to the QB that Terrence Cody could have driven a golf cart thru??

As a guy that played O line, coached highschool O line and still plays 7-man flag O line...you drop in pass protection, keep happy feet, have your head on a swivel and keep your butt between the QB and the LOS. O line is the "nail" in pass protection and Kemo left his assignment to be the "hammer" on the RDE. It was a selfish play and Kemo blew it!!!!

I don't know if the slide protection aplies from a certain point down. It could be form just the center over. I imagine not everyone is going to slide down, leaving the backside end with a clear path to the QB. Personally, I think Pouncey would've been able to pick up the stunt had he not been crashing to his right on the slide cal.

Chidi29
09-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Great stuff, Chidi. Just an edit you might want to make -- Colon did not start at RT, obviously it was Gilbert.

Whoops, my bad.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2011, 06:07 PM
I don't know if the slide protection aplies from a certain point down. It could be form just the center over. I imagine not everyone is going to slide down, leaving the backside end with a clear path to the QB. Personally, I think Pouncey would've been able to pick up the stunt had he not been crashing to his right on the slide cal.

If they are gonna slide half the line to the right, then it gives the entire left side rush a wider lane to rush thru. Kemo does this a few times a year and gets burned. No doubt that its on film that he does not recognize that twist from the inside and teams draw it up.

You are correct that Pouncey could have picked it up, but that is why teams slant the NT into the A-gap between C and RG. If Pouncey doesnt double the NT, then Legursky gets blown up by the NT. Its a good defensive play, but easily thwarted by a LG that stays home and trusts the technique.

That was on Kemo IMO, not Ben. To win you have to first beat the man across from you....not the man across from your teammate.

Chidi29
09-21-2011, 06:35 PM
If they are gonna slide half the line to the right, then it gives the entire left side rush a wider lane to rush thru. Kemo does this a few times a year and gets burned. No doubt that its on film that he does not recognize that twist from the inside and teams draw it up.

You are correct that Pouncey could have picked it up, but that is why teams slant the NT into the A-gap between C and RG. If Pouncey doesnt double the NT, then Legursky gets blown up by the NT. Its a good defensive play, but easily thwarted by a LG that stays home and trusts the technique.

That was on Kemo IMO, not Ben. To win you have to first beat the man across from you....not the man across from your teammate.

Obviously, they're watching a lot more film than me, but I think it's tough to see the stunt. There's little that gives away that happening, especially from Kemoeatu's view from the other side of the line. Maybe having a new DC in Chuck Pagano (know he was with the team but as the DBs coach, not the DC) gave us some looks we hadn't seen before? A point mentioned by Tomlin in the week leading up to the game.

What I see on the play, and you can go back and check it out if you'd like in the link I'll leave at the bottom (around the :35 mark), is a blitz heavy look. Ray Lewis is right up in the -A gap. I'm assuming that's the first place Kemoeatu will be looking for a blitz. Can't have Ray Ray up the A gap, especially knowing that Pouncey won't be able to help because of the slide protection.

Lewis then backs off after the snap. With the DL coming around to the outside, Kemoeatu is helping out Scott. Which is what lineman are taught to do. If there's no one to block, help your tackle out.

Plus, while it is the RE that Kemoeatu goes after, it's hard to fault him. That's Pernell McPhee, the DE/DT hybrid. He's lined up in the B gap off the snap. It's not like he was playing the 4 tech way over in the C gap. It wouldn't make sense to run after him then because it's clearly Scott's guy and he has little chance to contribute anything. He sees the end start outside and not knowing if Kruger is coming, has to respect the possibility that he is and go with the end in case Scott goes with the weakside linebacker.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d822289d5/Steelers-vs-Ravens-highlights

Austin87
09-22-2011, 06:24 AM
Good stuff as usual Chidi.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Lewis then backs off after the snap. With the DL coming around to the outside, Kemoeatu is helping out Scott. Which is what lineman are taught to do. If there's no one to block, help your tackle out.

Link: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d822289d5/Steelers-vs-Ravens-highlights

Thanks Chidi, the vid wont play, but no worries...I watched it at least 5 times on my DVR.

If you could please let me know who teaches O linemen to vacate their lane to help another lineman, I would appreciate knowing?? Its has to be something new. Especially if the pocket is sliding right and he helps to the left. I have attended coaching clinic by Joe Tiller (former Purdue HC and O line coach at Montana, Washington, etc.) and countless others but have not heard of this practice. I have not heard Bob McKittrick, Howard Mudd, Bob Wiley, Pat Ruel or any other O line coach suggest this.

Below is a hilight from an O line pass protection description. Kemo didnt have his head on a swivel and find the escaping rusher, which was Suggs on the twist.

14. When not covered by a rusher, put “head on a swivel” and find possible escaping rusher.
Then, really STICK HIM!

Chidi29
09-22-2011, 12:52 PM
It's really more of the "head on a swivel" approach. If you're not covered, look around and find someone to block. I've seen when we face defenses that rush three, the guards/centers help the tackles. Kemoeatu didn't see anyone coming straight at him and he looked around to see who he could pick up or help block.

And again, don't forget all the other points I made. Kemoeatu has no idea off the snap if Kruger is rushing or dropping back. If he's coming, then McPhee is Kemo's guy. Same with Ray Lewis.

O'Malley
09-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Good stuff as usual Chidi.
^This^

crcsnail
09-22-2011, 03:05 PM
nice read chidi , as always :) also nice points gonzo . interesting stuff :)

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-22-2011, 03:12 PM
It's really more of the "head on a swivel" approach. If you're not covered, look around and find someone to block. I've seen when we face defenses that rush three, the guards/centers help the tackles. Kemoeatu didn't see anyone coming straight at him and he looked around to see who he could pick up or help block.

And again, don't forget all the other points I made. Kemoeatu has no idea off the snap if Kruger is rushing or dropping back. If he's coming, then McPhee is Kemo's guy. Same with Ray Lewis.

Chidi, I know the points that you made and that Kemo doesnt know off the snap who is coming or not. I have put my hand in the dirt as an offensive lineman, coached it and gone to dozens of clinics to listen to coaches teach about it.

The basic premise is that you set in pass protection, block the man over you and if there is nobody over you, the lineman stays in the lane and keeps alert for a blitz/loop/stunt. If nothing is coming he helps out on the rusher nearest the QB. Always protect the threat closest to the QB.

Kemo left his lane and went away from the QB to make a block, which left a free lane for the sack and fumble. That sack is all on Kemo for bad protection....not on the QB for calling a slide protection or holding it too long.

Chidi29
09-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Chidi, I know the points that you made and that Kemo doesnt know off the snap who is coming or not. I have put my hand in the dirt as an offensive lineman, coached it and gone to dozens of clinics to listen to coaches teach about it.

The basic premise is that you set in pass protection, block the man over you and if there is nobody over you, the lineman stays in the lane and keeps alert for a blitz/loop/stunt. If nothing is coming he helps out on the rusher nearest the QB. Always protect the threat closest to the QB.

Kemo left his lane and went away from the QB to make a block, which left a free lane for the sack and fumble. That sack is all on Kemo for bad protection....not on the QB for calling a slide protection or holding it too long.

And at the moment, McPhee seemed like the biggest threat. Like I said, if Kruger blitzes and Kemoeatu looks for the stunt instead, McPhee is also going to come in free.

I know as an offensive lineman, you need to be able to digest a million things at once, but it's too much to ask of him to look for the MLB blitz, watch what the DE/OLB is giong, and pick up any possible stunt at once.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-22-2011, 03:47 PM
I know as an offensive lineman, you need to be able to digest a million things at once, but it's too much to ask of him to look for the MLB blitz, watch what the DE/OLB is giong, and pick up any possible stunt at once.
Not really that much. 1-Know the count, 2- know where the play is going, 3-know your first step. In pass protection its simple...especially if nobody is over you. I this case Kemo's first step should be to the right and then point his butt to the QB. Then stay there with "happy feet" until a rusher comes free.

The toughest think about pass blocking is staying set and not being the aggressor by lunging to the defender. Its a retreat block where you need to move you feet like a point guard playing defense and for the most part, absorbing the rushers aggression to protect the QB. Its why run blocking is more fun, you can be the hammer and not the nail.

Chidi29
09-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Not really that much. 1-Know the count, 2- know where the play is going, 3-know your first step. In pass protection its simple...especially if nobody is over you. I this case Kemo's first step should be to the right and then point his butt to the QB. Then stay there with "happy feet" until a rusher comes free.

The toughest think about pass blocking is staying set and not being the aggressor by lunging to the defender. Its a retreat block where you need to move you feet like a point guard playing defense and for the most part, absorbing the rushers aggression to protect the QB. Its why run blocking is more fun, you can be the hammer and not the nail.

But there was someone over him. McPhee. And he is going to Kemoeatu's left. So his first step should be to go with him. He has to be your main priority, not a stunt that may or may not exist.

86WARD
09-23-2011, 11:16 AM
No mention of Ike Taylor? Has only given up one pass for 9 yards in two games. He's been well worth the money so far...lol.

Chidi29
09-23-2011, 03:49 PM
No mention of Ike Taylor? Has only given up one pass for 9 yards in two games. He's been well worth the money so far...lol.

You're right. He's playing very well, as always. And for as much "swagger" as he has which rubs some people the wrong way, he's one of the hardest working and most professional guys on the team. Tomlin called him the "blueprint" for younger players.

86WARD
09-23-2011, 03:52 PM
I'd take the bonehead swaggin' play every once in a while for another guy like him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2011, 10:10 PM
But there was someone over him. McPhee. And he is going to Kemoeatu's left. So his first step should be to go with him. He has to be your main priority, not a stunt that may or may not exist.

Chidi, here is an instructional video from former NFL O Lineman Tom Nutten. Take a look at it where he shows that the O lineman's first step is always to protect the QB. Also Nutten mentions the O lineman should not step such as to "open the gate" to the QB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K078QNzDIQ&feature=relmfu

You state that Kemo's first step should be to "go with him (McPhee)", but that in fact is away from protecting the QB and "opens the gate" to the QB. It is fundamental O-line play and both you and Kemo seemed to forget the fundamentals on that play.

Chidi29
09-23-2011, 11:50 PM
If the video would be able to play for you, you could see Kemoeatu does not immediately take a step to his outside. There is a short moment where he looks up the middle to see if Lewis or anyone else is coming at him. I guess Suggs' hadn't come into view yet and not knowing whether or not Kruger is coming and knowing that McPhee is rushing, he then opens the gate and turns to block him.

Chidi29
09-24-2011, 12:07 AM
It's a grainy picture, as all of mine are, but you can see Kemoeatu look straight ahead and not open the gate for a moment after the snap before attacking the DE.

http://i52.tinypic.com/15d1lc6.png

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-24-2011, 11:34 AM
but you can see Kemoeatu look straight ahead and not open the gate for a moment after the snap before attacking the DE.

http://i52.tinypic.com/15d1lc6.png

Exactly!! Kemo attacks and chases the defender. As an O lineman you never chase the defender in pass protection. He should have stayed in position, keeping a pocket around Ben.

Even the coach in this video points out that "sometimes the OG is just waiting for the LB in pass protection......"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ieahnubR7M

Chidi29
09-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Exactly!! Kemo attacks and chases the defender. As an O lineman you never chase the defender in pass protection. He should have stayed in position, keeping a pocket around Ben.

Even the coach in this video points out that "sometimes the OG is just waiting for the LB in pass protection......"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ieahnubR7M

But if he ignores McPhee and Kruger rushes, the end is going to come in free and clobber Ben just like Suggs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-24-2011, 09:31 PM
But if he ignores McPhee and Kruger rushes, the end is going to come in free and clobber Ben just like Suggs.

The correct play would have been for Kemo to set, make his intial steps and be in a position to punch...NOT CHASE MCPHEE. Then once he saw McPhee go wide, he would pass him along to Scott and wait to see if another threat was rushing (ie a LB or CB blitz or interior line stunt.)

If Kruger had rushed outside and Kemo set the same, he would be in positioin to block McPhee(if he rushed the B gap. You cant chase a man or assign an man in pass blocking. If that was the case, then it would have been Legursky's job to follow Suggs around the interior loop and pick him up.

Again, you state that Linemen are taught to help out the linemen next to them, but I would appreciate if you could tell me where linemen are taught to vacate their protection and double team a rusher, so that it opens a lane for an opposing blitz or stunt?? Leaving your position so that the QB gets sacked and fumbles is bad technique, no matter how you try to spin it.

I'll watch for this same stunt in the upcoming weeks and find a lineman that plays it correctly so that the QB doesnt get sacked and fumble. Then I'll post it.

Psycho Ward 86
09-25-2011, 01:13 AM
who the heck is ZBS?

fansince'76
09-25-2011, 01:43 AM
who the heck is ZBS?

Zone Blocking Scheme. :)