PDA

View Full Version : Heart attack!

polamalubeast
09-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Remember the last time the Steelers play in Indianapolis?!It was in 2005 playoff!

The Colts were 14-2 and he was largely favored to win the Super Bowl and no one believed the Steelers would win this game, especially since experts say that the Steelers had won against the Bengals because of the injury to Palmer.:coffee:

But the end game may have been the most stressful of the history of the steelers.Here are the images of the late game against the Colts in 2005!

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/153/920/poy02_display_image.jpg?1265763107

http://images.cbssports.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img9167282.jpg

http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/PHO/AAGX074_8x10-2006ImaculateTackle.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/nfl/03/23/vanderjagt.cowboys/p1_vanderjagt.jpg

http://sportige.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/mike-vanderjagt.jpg

http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/PHO/AAGV028-05AFCGame.jpg

stillers4me
09-20-2011, 05:45 PM
That game sure did test my heart health!! Better than a stress test.....

ALLD
09-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Vandershank!!!

Now Vinateri is losing his accuracy.

SteelerFanInStl
09-20-2011, 06:54 PM
I still can't believe that Bettis fumbled that ball...

XxKnightxX
09-20-2011, 06:59 PM
I will never forget that moment. Someone actually did pop the Big One on that fumble If im right in a bar. I can still remember the premature celebration I was having and my tanned skinned self turning PALE and speechless for about 3 minutes lol. Ill never forget that great coverage by Bmac on Reggie Wayne, that would of been a TD. Now Bmac sucks lol.

steel striker
09-20-2011, 08:17 PM
I'll never forget that moment and, I over a friends house. After Joey sacked Manning most people went to get more food & Beer. I started yelling NOOOOOOOOOOO! My heart dropped seeing Nick Harper picking up that ball and, then watching the biggest shoe string tackle in steelers history by Big Ben. Funny how the biggest tackle of the season is made by the QB. This is one of my favorite steeler games because, as we all know no one gave us a chance in hell of winning that game. That was some game and, I felt like I lost a few years of my life.

BlastFurnace
09-20-2011, 09:35 PM
My worst loss was the San Diego AFC Championship game, but had the Steelers lost this game, this one would have topped that.

I was numb after the Indy playoff game. Better yet...exhausted.

tihmtahm
09-20-2011, 10:24 PM
I hate to say it, but I called that fumble... Had some friends over and they're all cheering saying how it's a done deal, and I said it's never over til it's over... anything can happen... then of course Bettis fumbles and my friends called me the jinx... to this day if I try to say anything during a crucial play my friends all tell me to shut the hell up. lol

GutterflowerSteel
09-20-2011, 10:59 PM
I had serious heart palpitations, & I think I began to hyperventilate when I saw Bus fumble - screaming NOOOOOOOO, almost crying - then Big Ben was there to save the day. When Vanderjagt missed the field goal, I SCREAAAMED!! I'll never forget that game - or the AFC Championship against Denver :tt02:

steelerdiva
09-20-2011, 11:04 PM
I was feeling bad for Bus....

I kept thinking to myself, "Please God, no....don't let him go out like this."

Divine favor was on the Steelers' side that day.

fansince'76
09-20-2011, 11:18 PM
I still can't believe that Bettis fumbled that ball...

I still can't believe Troy's INT getting overturned. "After the interception....incomplete pass." WTF? But yeah, the refs are always in the "STEALERS" pockets. :rolleyes:

tihmtahm
09-20-2011, 11:59 PM
I still can't believe Troy's INT getting overturned. "After the interception....incomplete pass." WTF? But yeah, the refs are always in the "STEALERS" pockets. :rolleyes:

Ya... that was a bogus call. Even the refs couldn't stop fate. The Bus was meant to win a ring in his home town!

Craic
09-21-2011, 12:24 AM
I was at a Steeler bar in Louisville that day. We had spent pretty much the whole season together in that bar watching all the games. When Bettis fumbled, my buddy jumped up out of his chair, and then stood there in utter shock staring at the TV--and it had already gone commercial if I remember right. I had to swat him on the arm a couple times to get him to come around.

Then Vanderjagt missed it. We were all just speechless.

Hindes204
09-21-2011, 12:34 AM
It is a game that I will never forget...I was watching it in the wee hours of the morning out of a tent in the middle of Iraq. I remember cheering, and then standing there in disbelief as our season flashed before my eyes when the ball popped out. I couldn't believe that very well could be Bettis's last carry in the NFL. I think I bit every nail off over the course of the next few minutes.

steelreserve
09-21-2011, 01:41 AM

I was about to say that. That's the first thing I always think of when I see anything about this game.

polamalubeast
09-21-2011, 01:52 AM

http://activerain.com/image_store/uploads/8/5/5/0/5/ar122956729750558.jpg

:rolleyes:

Galax Steeler
09-21-2011, 04:31 AM

That one stuck in my mind as well what a terrible call.

polamalubeast
09-21-2011, 04:57 AM
My worst loss was the San Diego AFC Championship game, but had the Steelers lost this game, this one would have topped that.

I was numb after the Indy playoff game. Better yet...exhausted.

His was the worst loss in the history of steelers if they would have lost this game and the fumble by Jerome Bettis would be compared to Bill Buckner's gaffe in 1986.And the winner of this game was going to win the super bowl.

polamalubeast
09-21-2011, 05:03 AM
Man's heart stops after Bettis fumble

For die-hard Steelers fans, Jerome Bettis' fumble as he tried to score from the 2-yard line was a heart-pounding moment in Sunday's game against the Indianapolis Colts.
For Terry O'Neill, of Rinne Street in Arlington, it was a heart-stopping moment -- literally.

O'Neill's heart stopped seconds after the crucial play in the final moments of Sunday's divisional playoff game.

"Jerome is my hero," O'Neill, 50, said Monday from his bed at UPMC Presbyterian hospital in Oakland, where he was in stable condition.

"I wasn't upset that the Steelers might lose," he said. "I was upset because I didn't want to see him end his career like that. A guy like that deserves better. I guess it was a little too much for me to handle."

O'Neill credits two city firefighters who also were watching the game at Chupka's I tavern at 27th and Jane streets on the South Side for saving his life.

"If it wasn't for Tommy Herbster and Dave Grady, I probably wouldn't be alive today," said O'Neill, an engineer with Local 95 of the International Union of Operating Engineers. "I'm very thankful that they were there."

Grady, of Carrick, who works as an instructor at the fire academy, said he and Herbster, a firefighter at Engine Company 22 in Arlington, began performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation after seeing O'Neill on the floor.

"He was out," said Grady. "We called 911 and started working on him until help arrived a few minutes later, and they were able to use a defibrillator to get his heart started again."

O'Neill, a former weight lifter, said he did not believe he was seriously at risk of a heart attack, but doctors at Presby diagnosed him with hypertension, or high-blood pressure, which runs in his family, and an erratic heart beat.

When asked yesterday how he was feeling, O'Neill said: "The Steelers won the game and I'm still alive, so I guess I'm doing pretty good."

O'Neill said doctors who are treating him have prescribed medication to deal with the hypertension, and he is scheduled to undergo a procedure this week to have a pacemaker implanted to regulate his heartbeat.

Even though O'Neill likely will be out of the hospital before Sunday's AFC championship game against the Denver Broncos, he plans to take in the game in more relaxed environs.

"If I can, I'd like to go down to Chupka's to thank the guys who helped me, but for the most part I guess I should probably take it easy and watch the game at home."

Read more: Man's heart stops after Bettis fumble - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_414153.html#ixzz1Ya1MB72O

HometownGal
09-21-2011, 06:07 AM
Not only did I have heart palpitations, I came close to a bout of the dysentery. :horror:

Vis
09-21-2011, 06:44 AM
As I mentioned in another thread, I went to that game with my son. I admit I thought it would be Bettis' last game. I have the photo shown in the OP of the handshake signed by Manning and Ben on my office wall. The crowd kept leaving and coming back to their seats those last few minutes. I've been to quite a few games but none stand out like this one.

suitanim
09-21-2011, 08:21 AM
As several others have mentioned, that INT that wasn't an INT but really WAS an INT was just...I don't know, I'm still speechless.

The fact was, the game wasn't as close as the score (meaning the Steelers really put a lickin' on 'em), and I have wondered to this day if perhaps the Colts weren't "supposed" to win that game.

Mamaduck43
09-21-2011, 11:50 AM
It was early in Hawaii - - My son and I were watching in my part of the house... We had done everything right - - Rolling Rock Beer; Kielbasa; Terrible towels; lucky shirts and all.... And then the fumble happened.... I was so upset that I said the "F" word in front of my son.... Not as bad as it sounds since he was 40 at the time..... Thank goodness we had made so much noise during the game, we had scared the grandkids away...... But I knew in my heart after we pulled that one out, that SB XL was ours.... No way were we going to lose that game......

Craic
09-21-2011, 03:27 PM
It was early in Hawaii - - My son and I were watching in my part of the house... We had done everything right - - Rolling Rock Beer; Kielbasa; Terrible towels; lucky shirts and all.... And then the fumble happened.... I was so upset that I said the "F" word in front of my son.... Not as bad as it sounds since he was 40 at the time..... Thank goodness we had made so much noise during the game, we had scared the grandkids away...... But I knew in my heart after we pulled that one out, that SB XL was ours.... No way were we going to lose that game......

You were 2 years old when you had him??????? :wink02:

SteelerEmpire
09-22-2011, 10:25 AM
I listening to that game on the radio while helping a friend of mine fix his diesel freightliner ... I could not believe Bettis fumbled that ball either, but I did have confidence we'd pull it off as the team did have that "magic" that year.

PalmerSteel
09-22-2011, 10:44 AM
i wasnt at this game, but the steelers played at Indy that same season and i was there. we got beat up bad. i remember all the colts fans around giving me all kinds of crap. at this point in the season most people had already written off the steelers to even make the playoffs. just remember last thing i said to them at the stadium."maybe we will meet again in the playoffs because we will make it in the playoffs. if that happens it will be a whole different ballgame". they were all laughing. i hope they remembered my face at this game to add a little more sting :)

Mamaduck43
09-22-2011, 04:00 PM
You were 2 years old when you had him??????? :wink02:

Ah, yes, Preacherman..... You did the math!!!!! Tee hee.......