PDA

View Full Version : Goodell: Young suspension unlikely

polamalubeast
06-28-2010, 10:14 AM
:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5335515

Updated: June 28, 2010, 9:49 AM ETGoodell: Young suspension unlikely

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Sunday he will meet with Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young in the next few weeks to discuss his involvement in an altercation at a Dallas-area strip club, FoxSports.com reported.

Young

Goodell, who was speaking at the NFL's rookie symposium, also said the league is "still gathering the facts" about a shooting last week outside a birthday party for Michael Vick involving one of his co-defendants in his dogfighting case, according to the report.

Goodell said Young, a first-time legal offender who received a misdemeanor citation for assault, was unlikely to be suspended, as he is a first-time legal offender, according to the report.

Earlier this year, Goodell conditionally suspended Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for six games after police investigated Roethlisberger on sexual assault allegations in Georgia. Roethlisberger was not criminally charged following the investigation, but Goodell said he was suspending the two-time Super Bowl winner for behavior that "undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs or players."

Asked if Young had also put the league's reputation at risk and whether that would inform his decision, Goodell said he reviews each case individually, according to the report.

"The intent of the [personal conduct] policy is to intervene so you help some individuals make a better decision and avoid these troubles. So when I sit down and look at all the facts around Vince or any other player, you want to make sure they understand that and what the policy was designed to do and more importantly understand the responsibility [of being an NFL player,]" he said, according to the report.

Goodell said the league was told by Virginia Beach, Va., police that Vick is not a focus of their investigation into the shooting outside a birthday party held for the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback.

Quanis Phillips, one of Vick's co-defendants in his dogfighting case that led to a 21-month federal prison sentence and a lengthy NFL suspension, was hospitalized after the confrontation and shooting, which did not involve Vick. However, Vick could be in violation of his probation and the terms of his reinstatement to the NFL if he's found to be associating with Phillips.

According to media reports, it was not clear if Phillips was invited to the party or had any contact with Vick. Eagles team sources said they believed Vick had left the party before the incident, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

"Obviously, we've got to look and see whether there was any violation of policy," Goodell said, according to FoxSports.com.

vasteeler
06-28-2010, 10:19 AM
art II needs to be in the comish's ear every day

BigNastyDefense
06-28-2010, 10:35 AM
No suspension when it's on camera that he's assaulting someone? I thought you could be suspended for alleged incidents thanks to Ben Roethlisberger!

And Goodell proves himself to be even more of a :jerkit: than before.

fansince'76
06-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Why was this asshat's contract extended again?

Wallace108
06-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Why was this asshat's contract extended again?

His wife worked for Fox News ... Fox News controls the Republican Party ... it's Bush's fault!!!

Nadroj 20
06-28-2010, 12:19 PM
See fansince76's signature.....thats all i have to say right now.

st33lersguy
06-28-2010, 03:31 PM
This bigot deserves to be cleaning toilets at a fast food restaraunt

steeldawg
06-28-2010, 04:26 PM
What an absolute joke!! where is the players association on bens behalf?

steelerdude15
06-28-2010, 11:26 PM
where is the players association on bens behalf?
Yeah, where are those jerkoffs at? I say at least a one to two game suspension for him and they have the evidence to suspend him!

Wallace108
06-28-2010, 11:38 PM
What an absolute joke!! where is the players association on bens behalf?

Yeah, where are those jerkoffs at? I say at least a one to two game suspension for him and they have the evidence to suspend him!

In my opinion, it's all PR at this point. Ben needs to convince everyone that he's learned from his mistakes and is trying to change. You don't do that by challenging your punishment, even if the punishment is too harsh. Challenging the suspension in any way would make it look like he sees nothing wrong with his behavior and isn't guilty of anything, even if all he's guilty of is poor judgment. He needs to think about his image and the rest of his career, not just the first six games of the upcoming season.

SteelCityMan786
06-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Wow, what a freakin Hypocrite. Sexual Assault gets Ben 4 Games (if he behaves like a Choir boy), but Young gets nothing for assaulting a person on camera? Wow I really don't understand. THIS is a complete double standard. Assault in my book is just about as bad as Sexual Assault. Give me a freaking break Roger.

CantStop85
06-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Assault in my book is just about as bad as Sexual Assault. Give me a freaking break Roger.

Not even close, IMO.

(Not alluding to Ben's guilt or innocence, just speaking in general.)

NCSteeler
06-29-2010, 01:15 AM
85, is right it's not even close, but it does look like one can be proven without a doubt and the other is mostly here say and two drunks gettin it on.
Roger is really discrediting himself. Vince maybe happy, the titan players maybe happy, but the majority just wants even handed punishments that can be measured not judgmental situations where you never know what your gonna get or what will roll out of Roger's bag of tricks.

steeldawg
06-29-2010, 05:30 AM
Guys you have too remember ben was not suspended for sexual assualt. Ben was not charged with sexual assault , Ben was suspended for drinking in a bar and buying drinks for young girls, which is clearly more serious than trying to rip someones head off.

Butch
06-29-2010, 05:39 AM
Guys you have too remember ben was not suspended for sexual assualt. Ben was not charged with sexual assault , Ben was suspended for drinking in a bar and buying drinks for young girls, which is clearly more serious than trying to rip someones head off.

Ben was not charged with anything it was an allegation. As for the age of the girl she was in a bar where you have to be 21 to drink so is Ben supposed to card her before he attempts to hit on her?

I'll give you that Ben needs to use his brain a little more in those situations but maybe it's a little damaged from all the hits he has taken just like Chris Henry.

SteelerSal
06-29-2010, 07:07 AM
I'm wondering if Goodell will consider lifting Ben's suspension?:noidea:

vasteeler
06-29-2010, 10:13 AM

i think that would only happen if he played for the *'s

steel striker
07-03-2010, 10:20 AM
So I guess this news is not damaging to the NFL shield give me a break here! Steeler bias again Goodell is not only on the cheats payroll now he is on the titians as well.

SteelCityMan786
07-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Not even close, IMO.

(Not alluding to Ben's guilt or innocence, just speaking in general.)

I consider assault(To the degree he was doing) one of the worst things you can do to a person. Only things I can really say are worse are rape/sexual assault/sex crimes and murder.

Ben was not charged with anything it was an allegation. As for the age of the girl she was in a bar where you have to be 21 to drink so is Ben supposed to card her before he attempts to hit on her?

I'll give you that Ben needs to use his brain a little more in those situations but maybe it's a little damaged from all the hits he has taken just like Chris Henry.

That is also one more reason why he wasn't charged. Because if he was charged, the girl would have to have been charged to. She lied about her age to get into the club in the first place and consumed alcohol while under age.

The odds of that happening are about as good as the chances that a Pittsburgh team will have the same number of championships as the Yankees do by the end of this year(I am talking league, not combined).

i think that would only happen if he played for the *'s

The funny thing is, Dan Rooney was one of his biggest advocates. I wonder what he is thinking right now. He doesn't deserve an extension.

So I guess this news is not damaging to the NFL shield give me a break here! Steeler bias again Goodell is not only on the cheats payroll now he is on the titians as well.

Goodell sure as hell isn't living up to his predecessor. Man do I miss Commissioner Tagliabue's leadership right now. At least the NFL was going in the right direction with keeping the league cleaned up. Goodell has done nothing.

steeldawg
07-03-2010, 03:21 PM

You completely misread my my post and just restated exactly what i said. My post said he was not charged or suspended for sexual assault. the point being if the assault didnt take place what exactly is he suspended for.

BigNastyDefense
07-04-2010, 08:21 AM
You completely misread my my post and just restated exactly what i said. My post said he was not charged or suspended for sexual assault. the point being if the assault didnt take place what exactly is he suspended for.

That's exactly what I would like explained. Because some drunk girls accused him of raping their friend, not letting her get a word in edge wise when talking to the cop?

IMHO, when her story went from "I was not raped" to "I said we shouldn't be doing this, but he said we should" to "I was sort of raped" (I'd like her to explain this "sort of" thing, it still intrigues me that something as cut and dry as consensual sex and unconsensual sex can be "sort of") to I was raped.......the case should have stopped being investigated right there.

Ben is being suspended because of how the media spun the entire thing and how the prosecutor went on and on in his announcement that Ben Roethlisberger would not be charged, but still calling the skank a "victim" through the entire thing. The prosecutor was completely unprofessional, IMHO, and I would hope that he never wins a case again.

steeldawg
07-04-2010, 02:54 PM
That's exactly what I would like explained. Because some drunk girls accused him of raping their friend, not letting her get a word in edge wise when talking to the cop?

IMHO, when her story went from "I was not raped" to "I said we shouldn't be doing this, but he said we should" to "I was sort of raped" (I'd like her to explain this "sort of" thing, it still intrigues me that something as cut and dry as consensual sex and unconsensual sex can be "sort of") to I was raped.......the case should have stopped being investigated right there.

Ben is being suspended because of how the media spun the entire thing and how the prosecutor went on and on in his announcement that Ben Roethlisberger would not be charged, but still calling the skank a "victim" through the entire thing. The prosecutor was completely unprofessional, IMHO, and I would hope that he never wins a case again.

I have asked this question time and time again and have yet to get an answer on what specific conduct ben was suspended for