PDA

View Full Version : Anyone miss Kemo yesterday?

zulater
09-19-2011, 06:16 AM
I was a little surprised that Ramon Foster started at left guard yesterday. I knew Kemo was out, but I thought they'd slide Legurskey over to left guard and put Foster in at right guard where he started much of last season. Anyway as it turned out I thought Foster had a pretty good game over there. I'm not sure how he'll grade out overall? Our short yardage offense failed in a couple instances, and we couldn't chew the clock up with the ground game in the fourth quarter, as I'd hoped. But I didn't really see any of those failures tracing directly back to Ramon. Again I saw some missed assignments, and confusion along the line, but I didn't see any glaring mistakes by Foster, either mentally or physically.

I'd say we probably got our best overall game from the left guard position in quite a while. Going back through my memory I can't remember the last game where Kemo didn't commit a stupid penalty or two, get blown up physically for a sack or pressure that negatively influenced the game, or just flat out got himself confused and left his man with a clean run into the backfield to greet Ben or the ball carrier for a loss of yardage.

Perhaps it was the competition, maybe it was just my perception, and I missed something? But regardless, there was certainly no drop off in play from Kemo to Foster. Given Kemo's penchant for putting his head up his ass for 6-10 plays a game, I think the coaching staff should seriously examine staying with this lineup even after Kemo is ready to come back. I know you're not supposed to lose your job to injury in the NFL, but with Kemo if he hasn't figured things out by now, when will he? Maybe a seat on the bench for a couple games will give him pause for self reflection and he'll reach down deep to improve his erratic play and questionable decision making?

All I know it was nice for the left guard not to be noticed for the wrong reasons for one game finally!.

HollywoodSteel
09-19-2011, 08:38 AM
No, but I still missed him more than I missed B-mac. :heh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-19-2011, 09:15 AM
I missed him, because that meant that Legursky could not have been replaced by Foster on the RG spot.

Legursky did OK against Mebane for the most part, but Alan Branch was just blowing him up and pushing him into the backfield. One play Branch pushed Legursky so far back into the backfield, that Redman actually ran right by Branch into the hole that he vacated.

Legursky did a serviceable job against a poor team, but never got any push in the run game and had to leave his feet a few times rather than take on Clemons head up on a trap block. I like the guy as a utility guy, but Foster is a better OG than Legursky.

zulater
09-19-2011, 10:31 AM
I missed him, because that meant that Legursky could not have been replaced by Foster on the RG spot.

Legursky did OK against Mebane for the most part, but Alan Branch was just blowing him up and pushing him into the backfield. One play Branch pushed Legursky so far back into the backfield, that Redman actually ran right by Branch into the hole that he vacated.

Legursky did a serviceable job against a poor team, but never got any push in the run game and had to leave his feet a few times rather than take on Clemons head up on a trap block. I like the guy as a utility guy, but Foster is a better OG than Legursky.

Here's my premise. Use Foster to light a fire under Kemo's ass and get him to play up to the level he's capable of. Once that's done go ahead and put Foster in over Legurskey at right guard. My problem with Kemo is that he's regressed, and sometimes a shove from behind is what it takes to get a player back on track. I think a couple years back that's exactly what happened with Max Starks. He really didn't raise his level of play until he was benched for a few games. Now in Kemo's case i don't think he was lazy like Max was. But he doesn't keep focused through an entire game ever. He used to stay focused better, so I know he's capable. Back in 08 and 09 I can find games where he virtually went mistake free, I honestly thought he was on the verge of being a Pro bowl level player at the time. So I think he still has it in him, it's just that his feet haven't been held to the fire after his mental breakdowns. Maybe if he feels he could be permanently benched that would get his focus where it needs to be? It's worth a try imo.

86WARD
09-19-2011, 11:06 AM
No. Didn't miss McFadden either...

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Here's my premise. Use Foster to light a fire under Kemo's ass and get him to play up to the level he's capable of. Once that's done go ahead and put Foster in over Legurskey at right guard. My problem with Kemo is that he's regressed, and sometimes a shove from behind is what it takes to get a player back on track. I think a couple years back that's exactly what happened with Max Starks. He really didn't raise his level of play until he was benched for a few games. Now in Kemo's case i don't think he was lazy like Max was. But he doesn't keep focused through an entire game ever. He used to stay focused better, so I know he's capable. Back in 08 and 09 I can find games where he virtually went mistake free, I honestly thought he was on the verge of being a Pro bowl level player at the time. So I think he still has it in him, it's just that his feet haven't been held to the fire after his mental breakdowns. Maybe if he feels he could be permanently benched that would get his focus where it needs to be? It's worth a try imo.

I think somebody other than an UDFA or 6th round pick is needed if you want that. It will probably come next season.

Kemo is injured, but otherwise an above average OG IMO. He isnt the best pass blocker or great at recognizing stunts and since we pass more...that shows up. I think our best options at OG so far are Kemo and Foster. I was hoping Chris Scott would take the RG spot, but he still has 1 more year to prove he belongs.

Just think....in 2008 the Steelers could have picked Early Doucet, Cliff Avril and Carl Nicks instead of Sweed, Bruce Davis and Tony Hills. That would have solved the OG problem and more.

oneforthetoe
09-19-2011, 11:59 AM
I think somebody other than an UDFA or 6th round pick is needed if you want that. It will probably come next season.

Kemo is injured, but otherwise an above average OG IMO. He isnt the best pass blocker or great at recognizing stunts and since we pass more...that shows up. I think our best options at OG so far are Kemo and Foster. I was hoping Chris Scott would take the RG spot, but he still has 1 more year to prove he belongs.

Just think....in 2008 the Steelers could have picked Early Doucet, Cliff Avril and Carl Nicks instead of Sweed, Bruce Davis and Tony Hills. That would have solved the OG problem and more.

Sacrilege.

BigNastyDefense
09-19-2011, 01:07 PM
I think Kemo is am above average guard and he's also a good run blocker because he has a mean streak. Once he comes back and Foster (hopefully) replaces Legursky at RG, our run game should pick up.

O'Malley
09-19-2011, 01:11 PM
I think Kemo is am above average guard and he's also a good run blocker because he has a mean streak. Once he comes back and Foster (hopefully) replaces Legursky at RG, our run game should pick up.
^This^

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Sacrilege.
I know......

I actually wanted Jeremy Zuttah or Early Doucet in the 2nd that year. I was OK with the Sweed pick, because his stock was down due to injury. Bruce Davis and Tony Hills picks were just frustrating.

Here is more sacrilige.......Pretty safe to say that the Steelers front office had a poor draft in 2008!! :bolt:

steel striker
09-19-2011, 01:42 PM
I think Kemo is a better run blocker than pass blocker and, let's hope this group gets better it's still ealy in the season. Hey our o-line looks better than the bears does at this point.

Chidi29
09-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Remember that thse replacements always look good for a game or two. Then their flaws start to shine through.

I like Foster more than Legursky, but really view both as stop gap backups.

Steeldude
09-19-2011, 02:15 PM

i doubt kemo is smart enough to know if he is on fire :grin:

zulater
09-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Remember that thse replacements always look good for a game or two. Then their flaws start to shine through.

I like Foster more than Legursky, but really view both as stop gap backups.

Like I said, I just want to nudge Kemo into being all that he can be. Maybe if he thinks his starters job is on the line he'll start playing more consistent and knock off the boneheaded mistakes that he's far to prone to.

zulater
09-19-2011, 02:34 PM
i doubt kemo is smart enough to know if he is on fire :grin:

:yup: