PDA

View Full Version : A" WIN "- but NOT impressed.

Moose
09-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Okay, we got a win, and a win is good no matter how it comes about. But, sorry, I'm not impressed with this win at all. I feel we left at least 14 points on the field that we should have scored. If Wallace wasn't playing who knows how the game would have turned out. He made some awesome catches and had some awesome runs....and Ward made a fantastic catch with his toes barely in bounds. But, I just feel the team looked out of sync yet. NO emotions. Ben didn't look like he had good timing....with throws high or wide. The defense didn't look that great either. On the first series when we had only 1 yrd to go and come up short.....come on !! Redman could've scored with 2 tries, I'm not sure, but I would've tried him. It just looks like there is no desire, emotion, aggressiveness...whatever --on this team so far. Seattle is terrible and as good as we are 'supposed' to be, it should have been at least 28 - O the first half, and another 14pts or so tacked on in the 2nd half. Batch should have been playing at least the last 5 minutes of the game....what was Ben still doing in there ? I hate to sound down on a team after a WIN....but I personally think something needs adjusting. The way this team is playing right now I can see some major upsets ahead from teams we should trounce. I feel Wallace was the only one playing at 100% enthusiastic. Just my opinion. Only 1 game ball from me....to Wallace.

HometownGal
09-18-2011, 05:11 PM
I love you to pieces, Moose, but imho - you've earned this . . . . .

http://www.roflcorner.com/wp-content/gallery/facepalm/facepalmjesus.jpg

polamalubeast
09-18-2011, 05:12 PM
WTF

polamalubeast
09-18-2011, 05:12 PM
red zone offense is the only problem today

no emotion?..WTF

Psycho Ward 86
09-18-2011, 05:14 PM
totally agree. Ben's accuracy was absolutely WILD on at least 4-5 passes that could've really turned into something. two of his passes today were gift-wrapped interceptions that were luckily dropped by the defense. we left some plays out on the field on the defensive side as well. keisel and polamalu with back to back missed tackles, polamalu dropping a catchable interception that he saw coming the entire time, and one drive where it took 3 sacks to finally halt the seahawks offense. im shocked that we managed to post a shut out without creating ANY turnovers. But hey, they posted a shutout, so up your Sapp! :chuckle:. I think most of the missed opportunities were definitely on offense. Keep getting better!

Psycho Ward 86
09-18-2011, 05:16 PM
What? Moose is right, don't be a conformist. True champions are NEVER satisfied.

HometownGal
09-18-2011, 05:17 PM
red zone offense is the only problem today

no emotion?..WTF

RZO put up 24 points - 3 of those scores being TD's. Considering where they were last week and where they were this week, I'd say that's one helluva improvement.

Psycho Ward 86
09-18-2011, 05:19 PM
RZO put up 24 points - 3 of those scores being TD's. Considering where they were last week and where they were this week, I'd say that's one helluva improvement.

Pittsburgh is too great to settle for mediocrity, especially against a team contending for the 1st overall pick in the coming year. This city strives for excellent. Extraordinary improvement this week, but lets improve even more!

tube517
09-18-2011, 05:23 PM
What if they had lost? :chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
09-18-2011, 05:25 PM
It was a good team to rebound against. Ben did seem off today and that was prior to the 2 dirty hits on his leg. The playcalling was ok, but the getting stuffed on 4th and goal from the one by the lousy Seahawks is Unexceptable.

I would like to see more runs to the right side of the formation. Maybe the were trying to protect the Rook, but runs to the right seemed more effective today but I'll need to do a statistical breakdown to determine if that is factual or my mind just playing tricks on me.

Overall good game. A shutout in the nfl is very difficult. I like how we kept pressure on and blitzed right up to the end.

O'Malley
09-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Shut them out... No turnovers... Stayed healthy for next week... Sounds good to me...

Moose
09-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks HTG, and luv ya right back. But I didn't see the game as you did. As I said, a win is a win and I'm glad we got it, but I think it was a sloppy win. Ben didn't look good, he had possible interceptions that were dropped....so, if the passes were intercepted who knows how that would have turned out. I know you can't go with 'IFs' but it would have been 'turnovers' , and we know from last week how turnovers can affect a game. I'm just not impressed or satisfied with the teams performance to date. No one is standing out ...except Wallace today. Check time of possession, and all the stats...everything states we should have blown them away by 5 - 6 TD. Tomlin better correct the team fast or I may have to readjust my 10-6 prediction. Again, I'm happy for the WIN, I'll take a W anyway we can get it, but I guess I just expect more from my Steeler's and I hate seeing them play mediocre games when they should be blowing a team up.

Texasteel
09-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Because a team does not score a TD on every trip does not make them mediocre, and an QB is going to make 4 to 5 bad throws. We expect the most of our players, but expecting perfection is no reasonable. The team played well, and badly beat a team that they were suppose to beat. That is what a good team does.

Count Steeler
09-18-2011, 05:33 PM
I say wait until the end of the 4th game to really get a read on our guys. There will always be plays that we "left on the field".

I think the more these guys work together, the better they will get. Again, no panic button yet. Is there room for improvement? Of course, but the Super Bowl is not for another 18-19 weeks.

tihmtahm
09-18-2011, 05:36 PM
24-0 isn't such a bad thing... It's not like we barely beat them or lost. So what if it's a sucky team... Sometimes sucky teams pull off an upset.

GBMelBlount
09-18-2011, 05:39 PM
I completely understand your frustration moose (and psycho).

Overall I thought they played well and was really pleased.

But they did suck inside the 5 and Ben was throwing high. lol

stillers4me
09-18-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm just enjoying the win.

stillers4me
09-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Yep. Could have been MUCH worse.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/277021_122621564488599_1580398085_q.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ben-Roethlisberger-BigBen7com/122621564488599)[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ben-Roethlisberger-BigBen7com/122621564488599"]Ben Roethlisberger - BigBen7.com (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/#)
From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette a few minutes ago:

"Ben Roethlisberger's right knee is "fine" after it looked bad initially when he was hit low and late by defensive end Raheem Brock. I saw Ryan Tollner, BR's agent, right after the game and he had a look of relief. He said it looked as though the QB turned his knee just before the moment of impact or it good have been a season-ender."

Count Steeler
09-18-2011, 05:45 PM
It's like I said in the first post of my game day thread, no matter how the Steelers won, we would be on them because of the lingering humility of game 1. Let's see where we are after game 4.

If the coaches think this is the best we can do, then we are in trouble, but I think the coaches will continue working hard to get every improvement possible.

steelpride12
09-18-2011, 05:59 PM
A Steeler fan just never is happy are they?! Sigh.

Moose
09-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Exactly Count Steeler, I think the same thing....see where they are after game 4. I stated that in another thread ( after the Balt. loss) that if we are 3-1 we are on the right track. I just see alot of needed improvements, and some of them may be attitudes.

Psycho Ward 86
09-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Because a team does not score a TD on every trip does not make them mediocre, and a QB is going to make 4 to 5 bad throws. We expect the most of our players, but expecting perfection is no reasonable. The team played well, and badly beat a team that they were suppose to beat. That is what a good team does.

awfully convenient wording?

Moose
09-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Steelpride--I'm happy with the win, just think they could be playing better for the amount of talent we have. Enough said, time to enjoy the win and concentrate on next game.

steelpride12
09-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Can't expect them to be at 100% in week 2.

kmsteelerwr15
09-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Are there improvements that need to be made? Yes Am I going to enjoy this win? You damn right I am!

HometownGal
09-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Pittsburgh is too great to settle for mediocrity, especially against a team contending for the 1st overall pick in the coming year. This city strives for excellent. Extraordinary improvement this week, but lets improve even more!

Sounds a little like that expectation factor which grates my ass with some Steelers fans. :doh:

fansince'76
09-18-2011, 06:34 PM
What if they had lost? :chuckle:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/Cat.jpg

:chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
09-18-2011, 06:34 PM
I can't say that I disagree with you Moose. I'll take the win, no question, but we've got a long way to go. The short yardage offense continues to kill us. The defense definitely played better but we still missed a lot of tackles and weren't getting much pressure early in the game. We did a good job getting off the field on third down though.

Today was a step up and we need to continue to get better.

Texasteel
09-18-2011, 06:37 PM
awfully convenient wording?

Not convenient wording, just a fact. Every team is going to have good plays and bad plays in every game, it's do you have the good plays when you need them that normally makes the differences. Today we did. I still think they played a good game, and will play better ones as we get deeper into the season.

steeldevil
09-18-2011, 06:45 PM
The short yardage run blocking was bad and Ben made some high throws. I'll take the W...

Mach1
09-18-2011, 06:50 PM
It is a good win.
Not as crisp as I would of liked, left a few points out there.

pepsyman1
09-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Was it a perfect performance? Of course not. Did Ben have some bad throws? Yep. Was it disappointing watching them have a 1st and goal from the 1 and not score at all...damn straight. BUT... We moved the ball pretty well...Ben DID have some nice throws, completed 73% of his passes for just under 300 yards with no INT'S. We rushed for over a 120 yards, no fumbles. The defense missed some tackles (Gay in particular) but we kept them off our side of the field until the 4th quarter and when they finally did cross midfield, LeBeau turned the blitz loose and we locked up our shutout. Could we have been a little more aggressive and dominate? Without a doubt, but considering what last week looked like, I think our team made a statement and our defense assured everyone that they aren't too old, they just need another good starting CB. I'll take it this and smile.

Devilsdancefloor
09-18-2011, 07:12 PM
we had a good game, not perfect, but it is a W and the d pitch a shut out we could have scored 38 points, but give some credit to the hawks D , but in th eend they where over matched and we won by 24

JayC
09-18-2011, 07:14 PM
it wasn't a win that renewed my confidence to what it was before week 1 but a shutout is a shutout. but yeah, until we beat a good team i really won't be that impressed unless our defense looks great against the houston texans in a couple of weeks. at the moment, i think the pats* would destroy our defense with the way we play. we had some bloated sack numbers today but overall the pass rush has been utter crap in my opinion and it's not that hard for the secondary to look decent when you play tavarus jackson. i think the offense will be pretty good if the line holds up but i still won't believe in our defense until we play good against a good offense.

Craic
09-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Ben had a bad day:

22/30 298 yards 1 TD for a 115.7 avg.

Sorry. That's not a bad day. But... The ball sailed on him, he missed receivers, and there were a couple throws that were almost picks!

Yep. ALL his uncatchable passes equal to 8. BTW, that sideline pass to Ward? Great catch right? Also a great throw. If he puts it anywhere else, it is an INT. He HAD TO put it behind Ward. The CB was in position and if anyone cares to watch the replay, the ball is about a half foot to a foot beyond his outstretched hand. Ben threw it ON THE RUN BTW.

I understand saying that there is room for improvement, there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

But what about the goal line stand? Let's talk about the Seahawk run defense. Last week, they held Frank Gore to 59 yards. Frank Gore, who has had 4 1000 yard rushing seasons in the last five and last year, did 853 yards in only 11 games. "BUT--someone is saying, Gore did a bit worse this weak. Yep, and he did it against last years number 12 defense against the ruun, just 4 tenths of a point out of 11th. San Francisco is not the weak run team everyone thinks thinks they are hence, Seattle has upped their run defense considerably this year. They stand fifteenth against the rush after playing two teams that have 1000 yard rushers. That includes 2 second year DT's that are only going to get better.

Defense didn't look good?

Alright, let's take a look.

Seattle had 10 drives.

Drive 1: 3 plays, 2 yards, punt.
Drive 2: 5 plays, 16 yards, punt.
Drive 3: 6 plays 28 yards, punt.
Drive 4: 4 plays, 15 yards, punt.
Drive 5: 3 plays, 5 yards, punt.
Drive 6: 6 Plays, 10 yards, Punt.
Drive 7: 3 Plays, 9 yards, punt.
Drive 8: 3 plays, 7 yards, punt.
Drive 9: 9 plays, 29 yards, turnover on downs.
Drive 10: 5 plays 18 yards, punt.

Total rushing yards: 31.
Total passing yards: 133.

Oh, and to top it all of, Seattle had 2 DRIVES that crossed midfield, only one of those stayed there. The other was brought back due to a penalty on the next play, and then stuffed before they could even cross midfield again. In all, including the penalty, they had SIX plays inside the 50 yard line. Let's not forget the 5 sacks and 6 tackles for a loss today. That is 11 plays stopped behind the LOS out of a total of 47 plays. Almost 1/4 of ALL plays were stopped for a loss by our defense.

That, is domination. The defense was unbelievable today.

In short--we had a very good game. It was a very impressive game defensively. Troy showed he knows how to be in the right place at the right time with a sack and almost an INT. Dick Lebeau showed that he watched game tape and at least for this week, fixed the pass problem.

The offense left some plays and scoring chances on the field but was still very good, with QB that had a very good statistical game and on top of that, made some very good throws behind a very makeshift line.

As for Redman getting a TD on the first drive. Inside the five yard line is where this team struggles the most. It has happened year after year. Personally, I'd prefer we abandon the run inside the 5, as it just is not effective for us anymore.

st33lersguy
09-18-2011, 07:31 PM
The O-line was shaky, Ben was a little inaccurate, the defense missed some tackles, and William Gay was playing. Those were the only low points

BigNastyDefense
09-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Holy shitballs, some people wouldn't be satisfied with a 100-0 win with 8 interceptions, 4 fumble recoveries, and every tackle being a loss of yards. You aren't going to get turnovers ever game. You aren't going to make every single tackle.

Did Ben have some bad throws? Yeah he did, but no QB makes a perfect throw the entire time.

The Steelers didn't have a back go for 100 yards, but it w got two rushing TD's. It would be nice to have Mendy go 100 yards every game, but this isn't Madden '12.

The Steelers haven't had a very good goal line offense since Jerome Bettis retired. Get used to it. We won't have one until we incorporate a true fullback to this offense.

The Duke
09-18-2011, 07:49 PM
I completely understand your frustration moose (and psycho).

ah, there's the problem! :smoker:

Craic
09-18-2011, 07:52 PM
:buttkick: :chuckle:

Moose
09-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Hey Preacher your number's and stats are nice. Sorry though, it doesn't mean anything to me. If YOU were watching you would have noticed we were playing Seattle. A terrible team, which a good team would rack up points and stats on. Yea, they had drives that resulted in nothing but punts......what would you expect a terrible team to do ? Yea, I've been watching this team for the last 4 yrs.....( actually quite a few more than that ), and some of our faults have been corrected, but many have not. And just for your information, this is a PROFESSIONAL team, not a high school or college, so you correct faults with drafts or buying what you need. Let's see.....uuummm, CB position....it's been bad for awhile and has not be addressed to my knowledge, but maybe in all of your info you may find out that maybe we did draft a superior CB but somehow lost him by some means. You mentioned the goal line stand and then didn't expand on it.....let's see.....1 yrd line and 1st down......and in case you weren't watching because you were jotting down some stats.....we didn't score any points !! Pathetic in my book. I consider our team to be a good team....I hate the Pat's, but I would hope we could somewhat compare ourselves to their standard....somewhat anyway....and I would bet the Pat's would score on Seattle given 1st and 1 yrd line. Sorry, I'm not going to give the Seattle Defense credit. Our defense was good today, but we were playing Seattle. I do disagree with you on the play calling inside the 5. I think a good mixture of running ( which I think Redman is a good short yardage man) and pass play....IF it's there is good. I can't believe though on the 1st and 1yrd series that Ben couldn't have even scored on a try, but that's in the past. Again, I'm happy for the win, I'm still saying that because of who we were playing, alot left to be desired in my book. I'm not saying this team should be perfect, because no one is perfect, but to be champs you need to always want for more.....not just be 'satisfied', and I think there were alot of players out there that were just going thru the motions. You have your opinion on the game Preacher, and this is mine, you aren't wrong, and neither am I. GO STEELER'S.

86WARD
09-18-2011, 08:06 PM
I partially agree. The team didn't look in sync. They look rusty, not well oiled. They got the job done today, but let's be honest, it wasn't impressive. They left a lot of points on the field today and a lot of opportunity out there. If Jackson could make the right decisions and throw in general, this game would've been much different. There was no pressure on Jackson until the end of the 4th quarter.

They looked decent today, but not as impressive as we've known them to be. They've got some fine tuning to do before facing a Colts team just looking to pull an upset...

86WARD
09-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Ben had a bad day:

22/30 298 yards 1 TD for a 115.7 avg.

Sorry. That's not a bad day. But... The ball sailed on him, he missed receivers, and there were a couple throws that were almost picks!

Yep. ALL his uncatchable passes equal to 8. BTW, that sideline pass to Ward? Great catch right? Also a great throw. If he puts it anywhere else, it is an INT. He HAD TO put it behind Ward. The CB was in position and if anyone cares to watch the replay, the ball is about a half foot to a foot beyond his outstretched hand. Ben threw it ON THE RUN BTW.

I understand saying that there is room for improvement, there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

But what about the goal line stand? Let's talk about the Seahawk run defense. Last week, they held Frank Gore to 59 yards. Frank Gore, who has had 4 1000 yard rushing seasons in the last five and last year, did 853 yards in only 11 games. "BUT--someone is saying, Gore did a bit worse this weak. Yep, and he did it against last years number 12 defense against the ruun, just 4 tenths of a point out of 11th. San Francisco is not the weak run team everyone thinks thinks they are hence, Seattle has upped their run defense considerably this year. They stand fifteenth against the rush after playing two teams that have 1000 yard rushers. That includes 2 second year DT's that are only going to get better.

Defense didn't look good?

Alright, let's take a look.

Seattle had 10 drives.

Drive 1: 3 plays, 2 yards, punt.
Drive 2: 5 plays, 16 yards, punt.
Drive 3: 6 plays 28 yards, punt.
Drive 4: 4 plays, 15 yards, punt.
Drive 5: 3 plays, 5 yards, punt.
Drive 6: 6 Plays, 10 yards, Punt.
Drive 7: 3 Plays, 9 yards, punt.
Drive 8: 3 plays, 7 yards, punt.
Drive 9: 9 plays, 29 yards, turnover on downs.
Drive 10: 5 plays 18 yards, punt.

Total rushing yards: 31.
Total passing yards: 133.

Oh, and to top it all of, Seattle had 2 DRIVES that crossed midfield, only one of those stayed there. The other was brought back due to a penalty on the next play, and then stuffed before they could even cross midfield again. In all, including the penalty, they had SIX plays inside the 50 yard line. Let's not forget the 5 sacks and 6 tackles for a loss today. That is 11 plays stopped behind the LOS out of a total of 47 plays. Almost 1/4 of ALL plays were stopped for a loss by our defense.

That, is domination. The defense was unbelievable today.

In short--we had a very good game. It was a very impressive game defensively. Troy showed he knows how to be in the right place at the right time with a sack and almost an INT. Dick Lebeau showed that he watched game tape and at least for this week, fixed the pass problem.

The offense left some plays and scoring chances on the field but was still very good, with QB that had a very good statistical game and on top of that, made some very good throws behind a very makeshift line.

As for Redman getting a TD on the first drive. Inside the five yard line is where this team struggles the most. It has happened year after year. Personally, I'd prefer we abandon the run inside the 5, as it just is not effective for us anymore.

There's more to the game than just the stats...you know that...

If they were "impressive" today, they won't go far this season.

Moose
09-18-2011, 08:14 PM
There's more to the game than just the stats...you know that...

If they were "impressive" today, they won't go far this season.

EXACTLY !!! Thank you 86WARD !!

86WARD
09-18-2011, 08:16 PM
They were good and showed improvement over last week, but if they were facing San Diego or New England or the Jets or even the Lions this week, they may not have come out of that with a win...good, not great. Seattle...they should've put 35-42 points on the board...the opportunities were there.

86WARD
09-18-2011, 08:23 PM
And they definitely lacked "emotion." Similar to last week...just like Tomlin said...didn't seem like they were "connecting."

Craic
09-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Hey Preacher your number's and stats are nice. Sorry though, it doesn't mean anything to me. If YOU were watching you would have noticed we were playing Seattle. A terrible team, which a good team would rack up points and stats on. Yea, they had drives that resulted in nothing but punts......what would you expect a terrible team to do ? Yea, I've been watching this team for the last 4 yrs.....( actually quite a few more than that ), and some of our faults have been corrected, but many have not. And just for your information, this is a PROFESSIONAL team, not a high school or college, so you correct faults with drafts or buying what you need. Let's see.....uuummm, CB position....it's been bad for awhile and has not be addressed to my knowledge, but maybe in all of your info you may find out that maybe we did draft a superior CB but somehow lost him by some means. You mentioned the goal line stand and then didn't expand on it.....let's see.....1 yrd line and 1st down......and in case you weren't watching because you were jotting down some stats.....we didn't score any points !! Pathetic in my book. I consider our team to be a good team....I hate the Pat's, but I would hope we could somewhat compare ourselves to their standard....somewhat anyway....and I would bet the Pat's would score on Seattle given 1st and 1 yrd line. Sorry, I'm not going to give the Seattle Defense credit. Our defense was good today, but we were playing Seattle. I do disagree with you on the play calling inside the 5. I think a good mixture of running ( which I think Redman is a good short yardage man) and pass play....IF it's there is good. I can't believe though on the 1st and 1yrd series that Ben couldn't have even scored on a try, but that's in the past. Again, I'm happy for the win, I'm still saying that because of who we were playing, alot left to be desired in my book. I'm not saying this team should be perfect, because no one is perfect, but to be champs you need to always want for more.....not just be 'satisfied', and I think there were alot of players out there that were just going thru the motions. You have your opinion on the game Preacher, and this is mine, you aren't wrong, and neither am I. GO STEELER'S.

So then what about last week. What about last weeks offense? Should we give them a pass because they were playing such a great defense? I always (this isn't directed at you, and notice I took out "you" before you posted because I realized it was sounding more like I was aiming at you, which I wasn't) find it headscratching when we are willing to write off wins against teams we think aren't that good, but are never willing to write off loses against teams that are exceptional--or phases of the game.

Look (now I am responding to your post). I understand what you're saying about Seattle. They are a low middle of the pack team until they can prove otherwise. But the domination that we saw today on defense does not equate to playing a low middle of the pack team. Furthermore, this is a team that we saw last year, DOES have the ability to play a very good game and knock down very good teams (New Orleans in the playoffs). We have a history of folding against these types of teams. Yet today, we dominated more than what we should have against a low-middle pack team. Our QB had 8 bad passes. Sure, there were misfires and miscues.

But 86ward is wrong about one thing. There is a stat that mattes. when you disallow any points against ANY team. That is impressive. Seattle is not as bad as Oakland was a few years ago, the Browns have been, the Bengals over the last few years (minus one or two), the Lions were up to last year, the Rams, the Chiefs, etc. over the last few years. Yet we didn't shut out any of them if I remember right, and that is when we had a defense that WAS clicking on all cylinders.

Sometimes a team hits a rhythm and goes. It looks pretty and feels good. It's when a team wins while they are out of rhythm, and then still dominates that actually is more impressive, because it tells you the true ability of the team.

Moose
09-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Last week's offense ? 7 turnovers. Guess I'd have to do some figuring and see what the results were of those 7 turnovers ( pointswise). And I would attribute those 7 turnoverss to the ratbirds defense...hard hitting, tackling and rushing. But, the ratbirds were totally up for the game, the coaches were well informed and their players were in a rhythm. I hate to say it, but they looked good on just about every series. We didn't. Today Preacher, I would have liked to see our team put together acouple of good series, or downs, in a row. They would have a real good play....pick up a bunch of yards, and then they would squander a few. It just didn't look like they could put a decent drive together all the way down the field. They just couldn't 'click'. I just wouldn't have felt comfortable saying they would have won today if they would have played a halfway decent team, with a good defense. Do you think they will handle cincy bungholes and come away with a ' W ' ? Cincy has a rookie QB which maybe our defense can mess with, but cincy also has a defense on the rise and could be a factor. Going to be interesting.

steelerdiva
09-18-2011, 08:51 PM
*Sigh*

Sometimes people think too much.

It was a solid effort....nothing flashy.

There were miscues and mistakes to be sure, but we kept them out of the endzone. And it was a "W."

Let's regroup and get ready for Indy, shall we?

steeldevil
09-18-2011, 08:54 PM
The offense went vanilla after we went up 24-0. Partly because of the score and partly because of Ben's injury I'm sure. Could have scored more, but keeping Ben clean was important too for the coaches I would think. Short yard running and Ben's few high passes were negatives I took from the game.

Yay! Steelers won!!! But somehow that is a bad thing....

Psycho Ward 86
09-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Ridiculous. You are more prone to criticism on this board for being constructively critical of possible improvements rather than prolonging the joy of a single victory.
I love winning as much as anybody. Bottom line, coming out with the W is all that matters, but i always thirst for this team to not just win, but to live up to its potential as well.
You think underdogs like James Harrison got by by being....satisfied by their efforts? He's been kicking asses as brutally as anyone in the league for the last 4 years for a reason. What's that quote that Vince Lombardi once said, it was something like"You can never achieve perfection, but if you chase perfection, you can catch excellence" something like that...i guess thats what some people like me are going for.

steel striker
09-18-2011, 09:24 PM
The main goal is the steelers won with room for improvement and, sure Ben missed some throws. We looked better than last week and, this is the sea hawks I know. Bright side they will get better and, the rats lost. I'm going to lie when Ben was hit low I thought damn it there goes our season but, I'm glad he is ok. Wallace looks great and, the defense played pretty well they pitched a shut out. Hopefully next week in Indy they will get even better as the season goes on. Plus the rats did not look too good today at all. A good day for steeler fans.

fansince'76
09-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Yay! Steelers won!!! But somehow that is a bad thing....

After last week, this game was a "no-win" situation. Simple as that. We could have won by triple digits and there would still be the caveat that "it was only Seattle" in a lot of people's minds. Until we beat a "contender," there's going to be lingering doubt.

Dino 6 Rings
09-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Today's performance was 'Standard'

Week 1 'Shameful'
Week 2 'Standard'

This week we lived up to our own Stardard and defeated an inferior team.

steelerdude15
09-18-2011, 09:39 PM
There is room for improvement, but I'm not complaining. We won and now its off to play the colts.

BlastFurnace
09-18-2011, 09:47 PM
The Steelers won. I'm happy.

Psycho Ward 86
09-18-2011, 10:08 PM
After last week, this game was a "no-win" situation. Simple as that. We could have won by triple digits and there would still be the caveat that "it was only Seattle" in a lot of people's minds. Until we beat a "contender," there's going to be lingering doubt.

another great way to put it. and i agree

GBMelBlount
09-18-2011, 10:13 PM
GBMELBLOUNT

completely understand your frustration moose (and psycho).

Duke

DUDE!!!! Definitely could've been worse.... :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd37S8uJNO8

O'Malley
09-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Ben Roethlisberger 22-30 298 1 td 0 int.... 24-0 0 turnovers... 421 yards of offense... 38.44 TOP... Yes there is room for improvement... Yes it was the Seahawks, but I happy with the win. At least they didn't run up the score like the Cheats.. Just as long as they get better evey week I'm a happy camper. Oh and they got the win...

BigNastyDefense
09-18-2011, 10:30 PM
There is room for improvement, but I'm not complaining. We won and now its off to play the colts.

Exactly. Anyone remember the 2008 season? Our offense looked completely anemic at times that year, and our defense won us some games, damn sure the game against the Cowboys. But more often than not when our offense absolutely needed to perform, they did. They weren't perfect.

A win, is a win, is a win. It doesn't matter if you win by one, twenty four, fifty, or one hundred. This is the National Football League where your W-L gets you into the postseason, not style points for some stupid fucking poll.

And I don't want to hear about if the playoffs started tomorrow the Ravens win last week would give them the tiebreaker. There are fourteen more games to be played for all teams and Baltimore has to come back to Pittsburgh. We win that game, the head-to-head tiebreaker is moot. And the Ravens lost to the Titans today, a team that (at least after last week) was considered inferior to Baltimore. So they might not even hold the edge in the tiebreaker for record in conference.

Teams play bad games. Last season the Browns beat the Saints and Patriots* in back-to-back weeks....Browns went 6-10 and missed the playoffs, Saints and Pats* both made the playoffs, New England* with the #1 seed in the AFC. Last week we played a really bad game and got thrashed. This week we played MUCH BETTER and thrashed a team we were supposed to.

steeldevil
09-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Its okay for us as fans to analyze our team's shortcomings, but you should also enjoy wins as well because you never know when the next one will be. Just my opinion.

X-Terminator
09-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Mike Tomlin agrees with you, Moose:

"I just told my team in there that we are the same team that got blasted in Baltimore last week,'' coach Mike Tomlin said. "I am still chewing on last week, I am sure we all are. That's just the nature of this thing. It's not going to take one performance to take that stench off of us.''

Personally, I thought Ben took too many hits and the running game was somewhat lacking after the first quarter. The defense played passive for the first 3 quarters by design, according to Brett Keisel (see Twitter/Facebook thread for the exact quote), which I don't agree with. They are an aggressive defense and should be that way the entire game. But I did like the way they put their foot on the Shehawks' throats at the end to seal the shutout.

Happy with the win? Absolutely. Room for improvement? You bet.

oneforthetoe
09-19-2011, 12:33 AM
It is fine to critique your teams performance even when they win, but let us not forget that in all of our last three Super Bowl appearance years we had plenty of ugly wins. As a matter of fact, winning ugly is usually a prerequisite of being a champion.

NCSteeler
09-19-2011, 01:12 AM
What I saw.......Ben thinking about last weeks INTs....throwing high most of the day. No Big Deal, Offense found a groove.. I like it
Defense came out without much passion....challenging Tavaris to throw the ball into coverage...rushing few if any...came out of the half with a big lead and opened up a can of lebeau on them....Nice I like it

The team as a whole seemed to coem out timid, in fear a bit of all the talk, could it really be true, NAH this is Seatle. By halftime they were flowing big time. Just one building block on , now to take it on the road and show we can consistantly beat bad teams.

BTW, remember this is the same team that in the past were the Kings of letting bad teams hang around, so all in all a great shutout!

crcsnail
09-19-2011, 11:19 AM
i know something i feel better this week than i did last week :)

Dino 6 Rings
09-19-2011, 11:22 AM
BTW, remember this is the same team that in the past were the Kings of letting bad teams hang around, so all in all a great shutout!

Great Point. There was never the feeling yesterday that the Seahawks had a chance. As long as we played mistake free football, we had the game won from opening kick off. We didn't give them hope at any time and it wasn't until the 4th quarter til the Seahawks had a snap on our side of the 50.

HollywoodSteel
09-19-2011, 03:56 PM
These threads are always so amusing. Some people want to analyze the game on a critical level and are chastised for not being happy or satisfied enough. I kind of think that, while rah-rah posts and articles are always fun, the best thing about message boards like this one is the critical analysis by informed fans and the debate that follows.... but I'm not complaining mind you, I'm happy and satisfied with this thread. :usa2:

I don't really have much to add that hasn't already been pointed out on the critical front, so I will point out what impressed me the most in this game: the kickoff and punt coverage. The only legit shot Seattle had in this game was in their return game and the Steelers made Leon Washington a non-factor. I'd also like to compliment our receivers. They were outstanding.

Count Steeler
09-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Yes, the ST coverage was above average yesterday. I agree. I was especially impressed with Curtis Brown. Seemed to have a high level on intensity and meanness.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Steelpride--I'm happy with the win, just think they could be playing better for the amount of talent we have. Enough said, time to enjoy the win and concentrate on next game.

I hear you Moose. Seattle is a bad team. Not getting in on the 1st drive from the 1 yard line is pretty weak.

No running game to get over the goal line in short yardage situation. 24-0 is good in the NFL, but Tarvarias Jackson is not a NFL quarterback. Legursky, Essex, Foster should not be starting NFL OG's.

HollywoodSteel
09-19-2011, 05:20 PM
It felt kind of like a pre-season game where we had our first teamers out there and they had guys like... Tavaris Jackson. Ben didn't look particularly sharp and our defense was kind of vanilla*. It was fine practice and now we're hopefully ready for the season to start.

*Note: I am not criticizing the defensive game plan. I think the minimal pass rush was decent strategy. T. Jackson was probably preparing all week for an all out assault and was probably thrown by the different look.

O'Malley
09-19-2011, 05:40 PM
It felt kind of like a pre-season game where we had our first teamers out there and they had guys like... Tavaris Jackson. Ben didn't look particularly sharp and our defense was kind of vanilla*. It was fine practice and now we're hopefully ready for the season to start.

*Note: I am not criticizing the defensive game plan. I think the minimal pass rush was decent strategy. T. Jackson was probably preparing all week for an all out assault and was probably thrown by the different look.

I actually liked the vanilla look. To me it seemed the secondary played better due to not blitzing every down.

masonsdad79
09-19-2011, 05:46 PM
i agree that we left points out there but we needed a shutout..got my blood pumping regardless if it was the seagulls or not..we didnt let their offense do a damn thing and thats steeler football...we controlled the clock and thats steeler football..and oh yeah we won now thats steeler football

Psycho Ward 86
09-19-2011, 07:48 PM
These threads are always so amusing. Some people want to analyze the game on a critical level and are chastised for not being happy or satisfied enough. I kind of think that, while rah-rah posts and articles are always fun, the best thing about message boards like this one is the critical analysis by informed fans and the debate that follows.... but I'm not complaining mind you, I'm happy and satisfied with this thread. :usa2:

YES. thank you that's what im trying to say!

Butch
09-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Great to have a shut out against any team in the NFL!!! That said I have to agree with Mike Tomlin and Moose and others on here that they have plenty of room to improve.

Yes it was a lose lose situation and like in the past we seem to play better against good to great teams than we do against bad teams.

I would be remissed if I did not point out to Preach that not all of Ben's completions were good passes, so the 8 bad passes is misleading. IMHO it would be better to simply say he had 8 incompletions. Just as not all interceptions should be credited to the QB not all completions are the result of good passes, sometimes the receivers just make nice plays.

I do not subscribe to the theory that because people do not see the game the same way they are any less of a fan. I think we are all happy with the win vs. the loss, but some of us would like to see more fire from this team. It was a good game but one we will not remember 3 years from now. Some wins are much better than others take the 75th anniversary game it will live on with me forever!!! I don't remember many games vs seattle before XL they just weren't that important to me.

Craic
09-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Great to have a shut out against any team in the NFL!!! That said I have to agree with Mike Tomlin and Moose and others on here that they have plenty of room to improve.

Yes it was a lose lose situation and like in the past we seem to play better against good to great teams than we do against bad teams.

I would be remissed if I did not point out to Preach that not all of Ben's completions were good passes, so the 8 bad passes is misleading. IMHO it would be better to simply say he had 8 incompletions. Just as not all interceptions should be credited to the QB not all completions are the result of good passes, sometimes the receivers just make nice plays.

I do not subscribe to the theory that because people do not see the game the same way they are any less of a fan. I think we are all happy with the win vs. the loss, but some of us would like to see more fire from this team. It was a good game but one we will not remember 3 years from now. Some wins are much better than others take the 75th anniversary game it will live on with me forever!!! I don't remember many games vs seattle before XL they just weren't that important to me.

I think, had this been your first post, this thread would have gone very different. I know for me, I get frustrated now a days when I see threads after every game, no matter what we do or how we do it, where the only thing really highlighted is the negative. I remember one game (have no idea who it was) where it seemed all that could be done was complain about the punter, after we just had a really good game.

What you say here, I completely agree. Some receivers had to go up in the air for balls, that's never good. Something is telling me that the throw to no one in the middle of the field was a receiver error--or just a mis-communication between the QB and receiver. I don't remember who the rec. was, but especially if it was Sanders, that's to be expected right now. Ben did have some very nice throws as well, including that one to Ward on the sidelines and the deep ball to Wallace (only Wallace was going to get it, but it was just inside his range. I think it was a very good pass).

We should also remember that there has been no OTA's this year, camp was not the same, and once again, we're playing romper-room on the front line.
BTW, how do you all like Tomlin's method of keeping our guys humble?

Butch
09-19-2011, 09:33 PM

It reminds me of a coach from the past who was always critical and would reminded players that they have never arrived there is ALWAYS something you could do better. I think you know of that coach and that was something I loved about his teams they were never satisfied despite setting the standard for DyNasties!!!

I remember Joe saying that no player was ever in the Zone and that you may go there once. I believe it is healthy to think you could always do something better. Hell of a way to look at things if you ask me.

steel striker
09-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Maybe I'm crazy But, maybe it is a good thing that we are not peaking too early. Room to get better and, like posted above it will let Tomlin keep the guys humble. After watching the pats last year they peaked too early. I know the Jet defense had something to do with that in the playoff game. All i'm saying is if our o-line can get it together I like our chances because, this offense called put up alot points. I for one would to see the offense put enough points where the defense would not have to feel like they need to be so perfect.

Psycho Ward 86
09-19-2011, 10:35 PM
are we seriously buying the peaking early crap...

X-Terminator
09-19-2011, 11:20 PM
are we seriously buying the peaking early crap...

You want to be playing well at the end of the season more so than the beginning. Need I remind you about 2005 and 2009?

Edman
09-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Nice win, huge improvement over last week. But it was easy to improve over...that. Now the Steelers need to improve more.

It was a decently impressive win over a bad team at home. I'll enjoy it, but there is still plenty of work to do. Like Tomlin told the team, they are still the same team that got embarrassed by Baltimore a week earlier. The Steelers are still nowhere near they need to be. One game at a time. Back to business.

Don't be like Ravens and their fans who get wild over Week 1 wins. They are for teams and organizations that can't get the job done when it matters. You saw how the Ravens shit the bed in Tennesee Sunday. They got drunk with victory and it bit them in the ass, and knowing how awful a coach Harbaugh is, it'll continue to bite them in the ass. Like German precision clockwork.

HollywoodSteel
09-20-2011, 03:54 PM

If you mean getting destroyed by your arch-rival week one, it's very effective, but I hate it. :chuckle:

Craic
09-20-2011, 04:08 PM
If you mean getting destroyed by your arch-rival week one, it's very effective, but I hate it. :chuckle:
:buttkick: