PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger: No-huddle offense likely to make comeback vs. Seattle

zulater
09-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Roethlisberger: No-huddle offense likely to make comeback vs. Seattle

Ben Roethlisberger experienced a rough day Sunday in Baltimore, one of the worst in his eight seasons with the Steelers. Even a broken nose his previous visit there felt better.

He tossed three interceptions and lost two fumbles, not counting another fumble on a botched handoff exchange with halfback Rashard Mendenhall. The Ravens sacked him four times for good measure as the Steelers absorbed a 35-7 thumping.

Roethlisberger had only five interceptions in the regular season last year. He has thrown seven in his past three games, counting the Super Bowl and AFC championship.

"I was talking to coach [Dick] LeBeau, and we used our mulligan on the first tee," Roethlisberger said. "We take our penalty stroke and we have 17 more holes to birdie.

"We just didn't come together, and I didn't play well. I think we're all entitled to a bad day now and then, and we move on."

One thing Roethlisberger promised to change against the Seattle Seahawks is the use of the no-huddle offense. The Steelers did not show it in Baltimore; they will Sunday in Heinz Field, he vowed.

"Yeah, I'll make sure of that. We need to. We didn't do it at all the last game. We kind of throw a lot of things out the window when you're getting killed like that. I know people are probably making a big deal that we didn't run the ball enough. I think we'll see [the no-huddle] this week."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11258/1174836-66.stm#ixzz1Y14evfmB

X-Terminator
09-15-2011, 05:49 AM
Didn't he say the same thing or something similar last week? What happened to "throwing everything at them?"

I understand they got behind early, but they allowed the Ravens to take them out of their game plan. They cannot do that this week. So if he says they're going to run the no-huddle, I damn well better see it.

stillers4me
09-15-2011, 05:56 AM
I kept waaiting for it last week :noidea:

Edman
09-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Taking the words with a grain of salt. I remember just a week ago hearing a bunch of garbage about how "explosive" this offense was. Seven Turnovers and 7 points later, bird shit is left all over their faces. Never mind the Defense sucking, the Offense was even more embarrassing.

Talk is cheap. They talk about No-Huddle then game day comes and it never shows up.

suitanim
09-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Interesting about the whole "We didn't run the ball enough".

Two schools of though there: One is, re-establish your offense by running the ball, regardless of the score. In perfect 20/20 hindsight, that obviously would have been preferable, if for no other reason than it would have eaten up clock and kept the D off the field. However, they opted for the other idea, which is utilize your hundred million dollar QB and stable of quality WR's and try to get back into the football game. They opted for the latter because it has worked before on may occasions.

As far as no-huddle, while it definitely might have changed the tempo, it also could have backfired (like every other single thing we tried) and made our 3-and-outs take up even LESS time!

86WARD
09-15-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm good with that...do it.

pepsyman1
09-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Ben always seems to be at his best in the no-huddle. I think they should mix it in regularly and let Ben decide the tempo we play it.

steeldawg
09-15-2011, 10:55 AM
I thought we ran the ball ok last week I think the problem was our downfield passing game. We ran way too many wr screens and quick passes, I dont think we challenged their young db's at all. ALot has to do with our O-line though, there is not much time to throw down the field when the Oline is constantly blowing blocking asssignments up front.

Spike
09-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Actually, you can run the no-huddle and run the ball, it doesn't have to mean a "hurry-up" passing attack, just means calling the play quickly, getting to the line and executing. The advantage to the offense is it gets to dictate the tempo of the game and limit defensive substitutions.

steeldevil
09-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Well lets see it. I feel like we hear this every week.

BigNastyDefense
09-15-2011, 12:01 PM
They say this all the time but it doesn't happen until we're in a situation where it's the only option to come back and win the game.

Ben Roethlisberger is smart enough to run the no huddle the entire game. You can run in the no huddle, all the no huddle does is dictates the tempo of the game, it doesn't mean exclusively pass-pass-pass.

And the offense seems best when in the no huddle, because it limits defensive substitutions and keeps the defense on their heels.

zulater
09-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Interesting about the whole "We didn't run the ball enough".

Two schools of though there: One is, re-establish your offense by running the ball, regardless of the score. In perfect 20/20 hindsight, that obviously would have been preferable, if for no other reason than it would have eaten up clock and kept the D off the field. However, they opted for the other idea, which is utilize your hundred million dollar QB and stable of quality WR's and try to get back into the football game. They opted for the latter because it has worked before on may occasions.

As far as no-huddle, while it definitely might have changed the tempo, it also could have backfired (like every other single thing we tried) and made our 3-and-outs take up even LESS time!

I'd have liked to see more of the running game in the 4th quarter anyway. As in Charlie Batch handing the ball off to Jonathan Dwyer or Isaac Redman. Leaving Ben out there to absorb Raven kill shots long after the game's outcome had been decided was probably the stupidest move Mike Tomlin has made since he became the Steelers head coach. ( btw I love Tomlin, just not this particular move.)

Mach1
09-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Hopefully they can get the ball off with more than one second on the play clock. Get them guessing on the snap count a lil more.

oneforthetoe
09-15-2011, 02:11 PM
The no-huddle is becoming like the mantra of the 80's, that the Steelers were finally going to start throwing to the TE. The TE was going to become a big part of the offense year after year. Well, Heath is a big part of the offense in what? 2006? So, I figure the no-huddle will become a huge part of the Steelers' offense in 2030. :thumbsup:

GodfatherofSoul
09-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Taking the words with a grain of salt. I remember just a week ago hearing a bunch of garbage about how "explosive" this offense was. Seven Turnovers and 7 points later, bird shit is left all over their faces. Never mind the Defense sucking, the Offense was even more embarrassing.

Talk is cheap. They talk about No-Huddle then game day comes and it never shows up.

I think they meant our offense was "implosive." :(

Count Steeler
09-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Just don't unleash hell. All I want to see is an O line that can block, the rest will take care of itself.

fansince'76
09-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Well lets see it. I feel like we hear this every week.

This.

steel striker
09-15-2011, 06:44 PM
We have seen the no huddle give the ravens problems in the past and, I was just surprised they did not try this ealry in the 3rd qt. Since nothing was really working I understand I guess. As far as Sapp goes he has always been a steeler hater and, where I live the only sports talk I can watch is nfn or Bsespn.

Steeldude
09-16-2011, 12:25 PM

if it shows it will be for 1 or 2 series only.

O'Malley
09-16-2011, 01:00 PM
I just want to see them execute on both sides of the ball... Protect the ball on O... Take it away on D...

Moose
09-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Oh yea, this is excellent - tell the opponent a game plan. Geesh, are you kidding me ?! Maybe you could just go ahead and DO IT and then let them try to figure out how to stop it....aahhh, no wait a minute, we'll tell them a few days earlier and that way they'll be surprised and won't have that many days to come up with a alternate plan. Good idea Ben, it isn't like you're on your back enough. Geesh.