PDA

View Full Version : Michael Oher is an Animal but... Jamon Meredith

katmandu
09-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Steelers signed OT Jamon Meredith.
Meredith will add depth with RT Willie Colon going on injured reserve. A 2009 fifth-round pick by the Packers, Meredith boasts impressive measurables only to have four teams already throw in the towel on his development. He does have a history with OL coach Sean Kugler from their time together in Buffalo. Sep 13 - 3:23 PM
Source: Scott Brown on Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/ScottBrown_Trib/statuses/113692985631322112)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/146574-disputing-some-conventional-wisdom-on-the-draft/page/6 (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/146574-disputing-some-conventional-wisdom-on-the-draft/page/6)

Michael Oher is an Animal but...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/244/slideshow_24441/display_image.jpg?x=84840

What can you say about a guy that runs the second fastest 40 of all offensive lineman, out benches every left tackle prospect except for Jason Smith and looks like a TE while coming in at 6'5" and over 300lbs ?
You could say he showed up ready to perform.
You could say he wasn't resting on press clippings.
You could say he's South Carolina's Jamon Meredith.

The best things about Meredith he's played every offensive line position and he's still learning after playing defensive line in high school.
Meredith also has longer arms than the heralded Oher. Those long arms matter for LT prospects that stand 6'5".

Chidi29
09-14-2011, 08:57 AM
....And he was also cut by the Bills.

The Bills!

The Duke
09-14-2011, 09:00 AM

The Bills!

what's your point? :chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
09-14-2011, 09:03 AM
He looks like a great physical specimen but having 4 teams already give up on him doesn't give me much confidence in his ability to play in the NFL.

Devilsdancefloor
09-14-2011, 09:18 AM
well lets hope he is a late bloomer :lol:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-14-2011, 09:32 AM
I remember liking this kid at S. Carolina for his athletecism. But they ran a spread offense and all he did was pass block on quick routes. He never really had to do a lot of run blocking or engage pass rushers for any time. Hopefully Kugler can continue his project with him........successfully.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-14-2011, 09:36 AM

The Bills!

BTW, the Bills are 1-0 currently and I see that former Steelers 3rd round pick Kraig Urbik is starting at RG for them.

Eric Wood and Andy Levitre are also starting on that O line. All of their starting interior line is in their 3rd season, from that 2009 NFL Draft.

Chidi29
09-14-2011, 11:11 AM
BTW, the Bills are 1-0 currently and I see that former Steelers 3rd round pick Kraig Urbik is starting at RG for them.

Eric Wood and Andy Levitre are also starting on that O line. All of their starting interior line is in their 3rd season, from that 2009 NFL Draft.

Wood is about the only decent player they have.

Levitre is starting because they don't have any other options. They tried him at left tackle, he's gotten work at center, and I assume he's now playing guard.

They had big 'ol Cord Howard playing RT last year. Who do they even have at LT? Bell?

BigNastyDefense
09-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Well from the sound of it he's here for depth, not to start.

Hopefully in the draft next year we'll take a LT in the first round (and at least let him try to win the starting job in the offseason) and a corner in the second round. It's time they get more serious about protecting Big Ben and fixing the secondary woes. Third, forth, and fifth round picks aren't going to cut it.

Ten years ago you could wait to take players in those positions with expectations that they'll replace guys in a year or two. But times have changed, and now when you know you're going to need a replacement, it's gotta come in the first two rounds because after that the talent level seems to drop for the most part.

steelerdude15
09-14-2011, 12:21 PM
He's jacked. If he does play, I hope he can contribute in a positive way.

st33lersguy
09-14-2011, 12:35 PM

The Bills!

So Ben is going to get sacked 50 times again and Terrell Suggs and Haloti Ngata will live in the Steeler backfield the next game. What about Flozell, he has atleast accomplished smething

Chidi29
09-14-2011, 12:46 PM
So Ben is going to get sacked 50 times again and Terrell Suggs and Haloti Ngata will live in the Steeler backfield the next game. What about Flozell, he has atleast accomplished smething

Meh, I liked Flozell and was really rooting for us to get him a ring because he's a no-nonsense, tough as nails player who quickly earned the respect of the locker room (as evident by the team wearing his MSU jersey on the plane ride to the Super Bowl) but he wasn't very good in pass protection. Very slow on his feet because he is The Hotel.

SteelMember
09-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Meh, I liked Flozell and was really rooting for us to get him a ring because he's a no-nonsense, tough as nails player who quickly earned the respect of the locker room (as evident by the team wearing his MSU jersey on the plane ride to the Super Bowl) but he wasn't very good in pass protection. Very slow on his feet because he is The Hotel.

and the fact that he wanted more money than fit the Steelers cap budget. I guess he'd rather not make an NFL check than compromise his standards. :rolleyes:

Count Steeler
09-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Hope Kugler has better luck with him this go round. Maybe he has matured and is ready to be committed to winning, whatever it takes.

katmandu
09-14-2011, 09:43 PM
What about Flozell, he has atleast accomplished smethingAin't gonna happen. Can no longer afford him.

NCSteeler
09-14-2011, 11:33 PM
He looks like a great physical specimen but having 4 teams already give up on him doesn't give me much confidence in his ability to play in the NFL.

I hope we don't need him, if we need him I hope he finally gets "it" just like Harrison did after being cut multiple times. He's plenty young and big if he can just learn

NCSteeler
09-15-2011, 04:49 AM
and the fact that he wanted more money than fit the Steelers cap budget. I guess he'd rather not make an NFL check than compromise his standards. :rolleyes:

It is a reason they did not pursue Flozell Adams after Colon's injury, although they did take a brief call from his agent, Jordan Woy. Gilbert, who said he stands closer to 6 feet 7 than his listed 6-6, said he weighs 333 now.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11258/1174836-66.stm#ixzz1Y0sMOs4I

SteelerFanInStl
09-15-2011, 10:09 AM
I hope we don't need him, if we need him I hope he finally gets "it" just like Harrison did after being cut multiple times. He's plenty young and big if he can just learn

If he can't make it at OL, we should switch him back to DE.