PDA

View Full Version : Nike's assault on conventional football fashion continues...

salamander
09-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Nike’s assault on conventional football fashion continues via Tigers, Cardinal, Spartans, Buckeyes

By Matt Hinton

Admit it: Between Georgia, Boise State and Oregon, you probably thought Nike's ongoing assault on unorthodox uniform designs had taken its best shot on the season's opening weekend, didn't you? Big weekend, big games, a few one-shot atrocities never to be seen or heard from again, that sort of thing. Well the almighty Swoosh has news for you, my friend: Widely reviled, non-traditional football fashion never sleeps.

Tuesday, Nike rolled out alternative "Pro Combat" looks for four teams: LSU (which plans its all-white look for Oct. 22 vs. Auburn), Stanford (Nov. 27 vs. Notre Dame), Michigan State (Oct. 15 vs. Michigan) and Ohio State (Oct. 29 vs. Wisconsin). And frankly, as widely reviled alternative uniforms go, they're not exactly reinventing the wheel. LSU's white helmet and white pants are more or less the usual design, only white instead of gold/yellow. Michigan State is going with a gold lid and gold numbers after decades of remaining exclusively green and white. Stanford, too, is breaking up an eternity of white helmets for a black dome against the Fighting Irish, but the red-on-red combination below the neck is nearly identical to the one Georgia wore against Boise State on Sept. 3, give or take a few degrees in the shade of red.

more: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Nike-8217-s-assault-on-conventional-football-fa;_ylt=ApALVFxiMHnVaAM8U3dfDgg5nYcB?urn=ncaaf-wp6283

BigNastyDefense
09-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Sometimes they aren't that bad, and sometimes they are just horrible.

Psycho Ward 86
09-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Oregon's new uni's are just straight up badass. Not all of the new uniforms are bad.

BigNastyDefense
10-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Oregon's new uni's are just straight up badass. Not all of the new uniforms are bad.

I agree, at least most of Oregon's uniform combos are pretty damn cool. Football traditionalists don't like them, but I do.

When a school has a ton of tradition, I don't like when they make changes. Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, Georgia, etc. are all schools where the uniforms are classics. They don't need changed (other than putting the gray stripes back on the Ohio State jersey sleeves).

But an Oregon or Boise State.....they don't have that deep rooted tradition....so when they tweak their uniforms I don't mind (as long as it looks good lol)