PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Gilbert to replace Colon at tackle for Steelers

zulater
09-13-2011, 08:19 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11256/1174354-100.stm

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers will start rookie Marcus Gilbert at right tackle in place of injured Willie Colon, who was placed on injured reserve, ending his season.

Coach Mike Tomlin today said Gilbert "will be given the opportunity" to play right tackle.

The Steelers also signed a young veteran, Jaymon Meredith, to Colon's place on the active roster.

Meredith, a third-year pro, has been with several teams, including a stretch in Buffalo where he was coached by current Steelers line coach Sean Kugler.

Colon had surgery on his right arm this morning to repair a torn triceps, injured near the end of the season opener Sunday in Baltimore.

Guess that means no Flozell. :noidea:

Count Steeler
09-13-2011, 08:46 PM
I guess we are relying on Coach Kugler on this one. This is the second Bill. Hmmm, their O line wasn't that good in the recent years. Why are we picking up their old scraps?

Merchant
09-13-2011, 10:39 PM
I still don't understand that contract that was given to Colon before the start of the season when he was coming off that kind of injury.. Let's hope Gilbert learns fast

7willBheaven
09-13-2011, 10:41 PM
I guess we are relying on Coach Kugler on this one. This is the second Bill. Hmmm, their O line wasn't that good in the recent years. Why are we picking up their old scraps?

Just because a player was once on a crappy team doesnt make them crappy too.

Steeldude
09-14-2011, 12:51 AM
I still don't understand that contract that was given to Colon before the start of the season when he was coming off that kind of injury.. Let's hope Gilbert learns fast

i was scratching my head also. colon was never anything that great. i think people saw him as something special because the rest of O-line(excluding pouncey) was so average to poor in terms of talent

Austin87
09-14-2011, 04:27 AM
They probably picked up Jamon Meredith because of his versatility. He can play every position on the O-line except for Center.

Count Steeler
09-14-2011, 05:01 AM
Just because a player was once on a crappy team doesnt make them crappy too.

If he couldn't crack the line up with a sub par Oline, how much of an improvement is he going to be here? The same with J Scott.

zulater
09-14-2011, 06:12 AM
If he couldn't crack the line up with a sub par Oline, how much of an improvement is he going to be here? The same with J Scott.

So what would you suggest instead? There's just not a lot of great options out there, the fact that a player is even out there at this point tells you that, or it should.

Now obviously you can question how we came to this point. But what's the point? We all know where we're at, it's inconsequential how we got here at this point, that discussion is best saved for the offseason imo.

I'm interested in the cure, not how we got the disease.

86WARD
09-14-2011, 06:12 AM
Lets hope it was just Tomlin not wanting to start the rookie....he's been known to go with the vets over rookies and it hasn't always been the right decision...

GBMelBlount
09-14-2011, 06:38 AM

This is what happens when you draft late round o linemen year after year.

We signed Colon at a risk AND premium because we are desperate imo.

Same thing when we paid Max 7 or 8 mil for 1 year.

Gilbert developing quickly is now critical too.

suitanim
09-14-2011, 06:42 AM
An offensive lineman that fails in one system may not necessarily fail in another. Just look at the threads where zone blocking is discussed. A lineman who excels at zone blocking may not be a great fit for the Steelers who use it sparingly, but may be a great find for another team who does. And vice-versa. My guess is that Kugler suspects Meredith may be an okay fit for us based on his past observations. Obviously this kid isnt going to be the next Faneca, but we need servicable back-ups now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-14-2011, 09:38 AM
An offensive lineman that fails in one system may not necessarily fail in another. .

Exactly. Kraig Urbik is the starting RG for the Buffalo Bills, but got cut here.

Spike
09-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Steelers fully committed to Gilbert

Marcus Gilbert will start at right tackle Sunday, and the rookie was the Steelers’ first choice to replace Willie Colon after the latter sustained a torn triceps.

The Steelers discussed re-signing Flozell Adams or Max Starks Monday after they learned that Colon had been lost for the season. But they decided to go with Gilbert, the second-round pick out of Florida, and sign a free agent tackle for depth.

Money apparently had nothing to do with them saying thanks but no thanks later when an inquiry was made on Adams’ behalf.

The Steelers are fully committed to Gilbert, and he will get more than one game to prove himself at right tackle.

The Steelers are confident that money or the salary cap won’t be an issue if Gilbert is not ready to start and they have to eventually sign a veteran such as Adams or Starks.

– Scott Brown

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...ed-to-gilbert/
--------------------------

So Flo might be an option afterall?

ALLD
09-14-2011, 02:24 PM
May I suggest we use cardboard cutouts of Jon Kolb and Larry Brown for depth on the current OL.

O'Malley
09-14-2011, 02:43 PM
You never know how five guys may work out together. It's not always about talent as much as how they complement eachother. I would rather see Gilbert at G and Meredith at RT, Legursky IMO is not cutting the mustard.. But I'm not the coach.. Hope it works in the Steelers favor..

Count Steeler
09-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Here we go Marcus. Play like you belong.

SteelMember
09-14-2011, 04:00 PM
Steelers fully committed to Gilbert

Marcus Gilbert will start at right tackle Sunday, and the rookie was the Steelers’ first choice to replace Willie Colon after the latter sustained a torn triceps.

The Steelers discussed re-signing Flozell Adams or Max Starks Monday after they learned that Colon had been lost for the season. But they decided to go with Gilbert, the second-round pick out of Florida, and sign a free agent tackle for depth.

Money apparently had nothing to do with them saying thanks but no thanks later when an inquiry was made on Adams’ behalf.

The Steelers are fully committed to Gilbert, and he will get more than one game to prove himself at right tackle.

The Steelers are confident that money or the salary cap won’t be an issue if Gilbert is not ready to start and they have to eventually sign a veteran such as Adams or Starks.

– Scott Brown

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/...ed-to-gilbert/
--------------------------

So Flo might be an option afterall?

So who are we to believe?

They first placed a call into another big man, Flozell Adams, but he wanted what their salary cap deemed too much money, so they will turn to their second-round draft choice instead.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11257/1174434-66.stm#ixzz1XxkgzBUu

Spike
09-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Dueling reporters - - only one comes out alive

Psycho Ward 86
09-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Dueling reporters - - only one comes out alive

so is life in this juncture. sorry couldnt resist :chuckle:

katmandu
09-15-2011, 08:38 AM
So who are we to believe?

How about this...

The Steelers have so much faith in Gilbert that they didn't seriously entertain going outside of the organization when they learned that Colon would be out for the season.

They didn't pursue Flozell Adams, even though he started every game at right tackle last season and money is not an issue.

The same is true of Max Starks, who has started at tackle for the Steelers and also is available.

The Steelers instead signed free agent tackle Jamon Meredith to provide depth and made a commitment to Gilbert.

Read more: Rookie RT Gilbert cut no slack with Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_756861.html#ixzz1Y1nQeylZ) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_756861.html#ixzz1Y1nQeylZ

SteelMember
09-15-2011, 09:01 AM
and then there's...

James_Taiwan: It is interesting that Flozell Adams refuses to resign with the Steelers.

Jerry Micco: Or the Steelers won't pay him $5 million/year. I think Adams wants that kind of money to come back, and the Steelers don't have it to give, or won't give it up. And, if you draft a guy in round 2, you hope he's ready to go. Guess we'll see if Marcus Gilbert is ready this week.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11257/1174593-139.stm#ixzz1Y1tyWttM

SteelMember
09-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Tonight in Thunderdome...

Postgazette vs. triblive

Two man enter... One man leave.

:lol:

ALLD
09-15-2011, 02:36 PM
They are making Willie out to be the next "Wally Pipp" instead of Kraig Urbik's distant cousin.

Spike
09-15-2011, 06:19 PM
It's Gilbert's turn to step up

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

“We like where he is,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “He has performed well for us. He’s a talented young guy. He doesn’t have a great deal of experience but we are going to give him an opportunity to play and show what he’s capable of.

“We like his pedigree. He is a talented guy. He has shown the ability to play a variety of positions at Florida. He played both tackle positions and actually some guard at Florida. He has shown that he is not a fish out of water in those areas since he’s been here in terms of being position flexible. There’s not a lot of tape because there hasn’t been a lot of opportunities for the young guy. But we do believe he is talented. He has done a nice job with the opportunities he has been given up to this point. It’s enough for us to feel comfortable moving forward.”

Gilbert said he didn’t lobby the coaches to play, it was strictly a decision they made.

“I didn’t expect it because we have other great guys in the room that can play the position,” said Gilbert. “Everybody is pretty versatile. They called my number and I am ready.”

Read more: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Its-Gilberts-turn-to-step-up/eead4c02-aab8-4602-804d-2b7c718c24e2

-----------------

Next man up - - you're it

steelerdude15
09-15-2011, 10:32 PM

Postgazette vs. triblive

PG all the way! I seriously hope that Marcus does a good job Sunday.

suitanim
09-16-2011, 11:52 AM

Postgazette vs. triblive

Break a deal.

Face the wheel.