PDA

View Full Version : Steelers talking to Flozell

GodfatherofSoul
09-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Not sure if this has been posted. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8222fae2/article/steelers-eye-ot-adams-but-agent-says-nothing-imminent?module=HP11_headline_stack)

kmsteelerwr15
09-13-2011, 01:02 AM
Bring him in! I feel more comfortable with him than anyone else on the team

7willBheaven
09-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Id even be open to them putting J Scott at RT and Gilbert at LT...and then finding a backup swing tackle.

Austin87
09-13-2011, 04:22 AM
Bring him back.

salamander
09-13-2011, 07:39 AM
At this point, it can't be any worse than what we saw on Sunday.

86WARD
09-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Would rather have him than Colon. Yes please. Would've been nice to have him and McKinnie.

86WARD
09-13-2011, 08:29 AM
The fumble that Mendenhall had was 100% Colon's fault. He couldn't handle Suggs. Henwas brutal. If we get Adams signed because of this, it's a blessing in disguise.

The Duke
09-13-2011, 09:58 AM
The fumble that Mendenhall had was 100% Colon's fault. He couldn't handle Suggs. Henwas brutal. If we get Adams signed because of this, it's a blessing in disguise.

Not trying to defense Colon, but I believe the reason he couldn't handle Suggs is he was playing with his torn triceps. I've never seen Colon so useless like that before

Don't know when the injury happened, but it's safe to say it was before that play. As much as I appreciate his toughness for staying in the game, he probably hurt the team more than help playing injured though

GodfatherofSoul
09-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Not trying to defense Colon, but I believe the reason he couldn't handle Suggs is he was playing with his torn triceps. I've never seen Colon so useless like that before

Don't know when the injury happened, but it's safe to say it was before that play. As much as I appreciate his toughness for staying in the game, he probably hurt the team more than help playing injured though

One of my gripes the NFL is the tough guy act players always put on after injuries. Maybe it's an intrinsic part of the game and actually being tough enough to play football, but I hate seeing people aggravate injuries by trying to play on or walk off the field under their own power on bad knees. I don't know what the happy medium is between wussing out at the slightest hint of pain and playing until you completely tear a muscle or ligament. I guess players have to be aware enough of their own bodies to know when to call it quits.

steel striker
09-13-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't know who else is out there but, let's bring Adams in he knows the system here. He did a pretty good job last year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-13-2011, 10:37 AM

This is one of the greatest examples of a post made by panic and overreaction.

-First, the fumble by Mendenhall was not Colon's fault. Ngata was lined up over Legursky and it was Legursky that gave Ngata a half hearted pat on the shoulder as he ran by to get to a LB. If Legursky actually hits Ngata, then it gives David Johnson (who was in motion to that hole) time to make the block on Ngata.

-second, we dont even know what kind of shape the hotel is in, or even if he is interested in playing still. At this point in careers, Adams is not better than Colon.

So, Mendenhall fumbles and we blame it on the guy that wasnt even supposed to make the block, but because he got injured we see it as a blessing??? Even Sean Mahan thinks you are making Colon a scapegoat.

The Duke
09-13-2011, 11:03 AM
One of my gripes the NFL is the tough guy act players always put on after injuries. Maybe it's an intrinsic part of the game and actually being tough enough to play football, but I hate seeing people aggravate injuries by trying to play on or walk off the field under their own power on bad knees. I don't know what the happy medium is between wussing out at the slightest hint of pain and playing until you completely tear a muscle or ligament. I guess players have to be aware enough of their own bodies to know when to call it quits.

Jon Beason was apparently dealing with tendinitis in his achilles for a few months and played on sunday

he's out for the season with a torn achilles

katmandu
09-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Don't count of FLO coming back !

Gerry Dulac
@gerrydulac Gerry Dulac
Was told by team source Flozell Adams not a possibility to replace Colon. "Doubt it," he said.
10 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

IF he were to come back, would the Steeler's still be obligated to pay him the $5 Million is was due to make this season ?

suitanim
09-13-2011, 11:57 AM
The nice part of having an OL that ain't that great to begin with is that it shouldn't be all that hard to replace a player when they go down.

Or will it be?

steelerdude15
09-13-2011, 12:06 PM
I say bring him in and let him play!

steelerdude15
09-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Rookie Gilbert to replace Colon at tackle for Steelers
The Steelers will start rookie Marcus Gilbert at right tackle in place of injured Willie Colon. Colon had surgery on his torn right triceps today and will probably go on injured reserve, ending his season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11256/1174354-100.stm#ixzz1Xr01o6xl

BigNastyDefense
09-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Don't count of FLO coming back !

IF he were to come back, would the Steeler's still be obligated to pay him the $5 Million is was due to make this season ?

No, he was cut so his contract was terminated. He would have to sign a new contract making a different amount.

salamander
09-13-2011, 12:27 PM
So then who's going replace Colon's spot on the roster itself?

katmandu
09-13-2011, 12:31 PM
So then who's going replace Colon's spot on the roster itself?Probably another WE or TE. :ROLLEYES: !!

I wish the front office would quit screwing around bring in MORE TE and WR !! How about FOCUSING on OL depth for change !

Spike
09-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Steelers rookie Gilbert gets nod at right tackle

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Marcus Gilbert will make his first career start Sunday when the Seattle Seahawks visit Heinz Field for a 1 p.m. game.

Gilbert, a second-round pick in April, takes over for Colon, who had surgery this morning to repair a torn triceps.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Colon will "probably" go on injured reserve, which would end his season.
Tomlin said the Steelers will work out a couple of free agent offensive linemen today, but he added that the team will only bring in someone to add depth.

That all but rules out, at least for now, the Steelers bringing back Flozell Adams or Max Starks to fill the void left by Colon`s second season-ending injury in as many years.

Gilbert has been playing primarily at left tackle, but the Steelers like the progress the former University of Florida standout has made following a slow start to training camp.

"He`s shown he`s not a fish out of water," Tomlin said. "We like his pedigree. He`s a talented guy."

In other injury news, Tomlin said outside linebacker James Harrison is "fine" after sustaining a knee contusion in the Steelers` 35-7 loss in Baltimore last Sunday.

Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery and outside linebacker Chris Carter are still working through hamstring injuries, Tomlin said. Both are expected to try running today, and Tomlin said he is hopeful both are able to practice tomorrow.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_756534.html

BigNastyDefense
09-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Well, hopefully Gilbert can step up and play well at RT. Too bad a turnstile would still be a better option at LT.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Nice!! I have no problem with Gilbert starting on the Right side. Good way to get introduced to the NFL. From what I saw of him, he handles speed well and needs to get lower in his run blocking, but will get bull rushed on pass plays.

Ben made Oliver Ross look good when he was a turnstile at RT, so a rookie like Gilbert with good feet should do just fine.

That cat that thinks the sky is falling can go back for a nap now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Well, hopefully Gilbert can step up and play well at RT. Too bad a turnstile would still be a better option at LT.

What plays did you have issues with at LT?? Scott actually looked to have Paul Kruger rushing on him for most of the day and I watched the game over on the DVR. He played a decent game in pass protection, while both Kemo and Legursky looked to struggle in pass protection the worst.

oneforthetoe
09-13-2011, 02:09 PM
I thought most of our problems with pass protection in this game were inside. I don't remember that many break-downs outside. Of course, Suggs is always an issue for us inside or outside. However, if you discard every lineman the Suggs makes look bad, you will not have many players left. The man is a beast.

86WARD
09-13-2011, 02:47 PM
This is one of the greatest examples of a post made by panic and overreaction.

-First, the fumble by Mendenhall was not Colon's fault. Ngata was lined up over Legursky and it was Legursky that gave Ngata a half hearted pat on the shoulder as he ran by to get to a LB. If Legursky actually hits Ngata, then it gives David Johnson (who was in motion to that hole) time to make the block on Ngata.

-second, we dont even know what kind of shape the hotel is in, or even if he is interested in playing still. At this point in careers, Adams is not better than Colon.

So, Mendenhall fumbles and we blame it on the guy that wasnt even supposed to make the block, but because he got injured we see it as a blessing??? Even Sean Mahan thinks you are making Colon a scapegoat.

You are 100% incorrect. Legurskys assignment was to go to the second level and handle Lewis. Anyone that has played the game
Or watched it over a length of time can see that. His assignment was not Ngata. Ngata was Colons and Suggs was Millers. If you watch the tape, you can see Legursky is on Lewis and makes that move immediately with no hesitation. Plus the fact that it's been stated several times in the breakdowns. Colon made the mistake. Not so much panic as stating the facts. Sorry.

Adams needs to be signed. With Gilbert elevated to first team, who's taking his place? They need to sign another tackle. Adams is the obvious and best choice right now.