PDA

View Full Version : Steelers tackle Colon faces surgery; out indefinitely

stillers4me
09-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Starting right tackle Willie Colon sustained a triceps injury in the Steelers` 35-7 loss to the Ravens Sunday.
The sixth-year veteran is scheduled to have surgery tomorrow, two league sources told the Tribune-Review. He is out indefinitely.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin will address Colon`s injury tomorrow at his weekly news conference...........

Read More @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_756421.html

Pittsburgh43
09-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Flozell, have your phone close by big guy.

Merchant
09-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Might be time for Gilbert to step up..

Pittsburgh43
09-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Someone needs to step up, that's for sure.

steeldevil
09-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Yea I assume our RT Sunday is gonna be either Gilbert or Flozell.

Edman
09-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Time to make another stay at "The Hotel".

zulater
09-12-2011, 06:36 PM
After last year with Aaron Smith never coming back from the same sort of injury, despite keeping a roster spot opened for him, I'm guessing they'll IR Willie without pause.

O'Malley
09-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Hotel ar RT an Gilbert at RG.... Essex at LG Kemo and Legursky on bench?....

Chidi29
09-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Hotel ar RT an Gilbert at RG.... Essex at LG Kemo and Legursky on bench?....

Didn't fans think the Ravens were going to falter because of all the upheavel along the offensive line?

Don't you guys always talk about gelling?

Craic
09-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Didn't fans think the Ravens were going to falter because of all the upheavel along the offensive line?

ROTFL. No, no. See Leg's two games in the playoffs last year were a complete fluke. His one game against the Ravens was complete reality.

O'Malley
09-12-2011, 06:44 PM

Gelling is one thing lack of talent is another. If it's broken fix it!

O'Malley
09-12-2011, 06:46 PM
ROTFL. No, no. See Leg's two games in the playoffs last year were a complete fluke. His one game against the Ravens was complete reality.

Legursky was also playing center and not guard....

zulater
09-12-2011, 06:51 PM

Actually Legurskey played at center not guard in the playoffs, Ramon Foster was the starter at guard. Personally I think Doug is good to have around for depth along the interior line, but as a starter he gets more exposed, and his lack of height,and bulk becomes problematic.

steelpride12
09-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Ok time for another make shift life to appear next week. Flozell to take Colon's spot then put Gilbert in for RG please.

sactownsteeler
09-12-2011, 07:10 PM
I hate being negative but how long can Ben last with this line? They have had this problem since Ben's first superbowl and have done hardly anything to address it. Pouncey is the only upgrade so far. J Scott was a bench player in Buffalo and he's our starting left tackle??? I know we will make playoffs but its gonna be a long season for Ben.

SteelerEmpire
09-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Colon screwed up sooooo much in that game ! Oh, wait a minute, almost everybody did to ?

zulater
09-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Colon screwed up sooooo much in that game ! Oh, wait a minute, almost everybody did to ?

Yeah if they benched everyone who had a bad game yesterday they wouldn't be able to field a starting unit on either side of the line for the Squaks game.

Psycho Ward 86
09-12-2011, 07:54 PM
wtf...

Chidi29
09-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah if they benched everyone who had a bad game yesterday they wouldn't be able to field a starting unit on either side of the line for the Squaks game.

At least we couldn't turn the ball over.

Steeltreal
09-12-2011, 08:14 PM
The Oline in 2008 was destroyed in 2008 in early SEP by the Eagles. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008092113/2008/REG3/steelers@eagles#tab=recap .
After that game they rallied and guess what ? We won the SuperBowl. Whatever group comes out next week can only get better.

Craic
09-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Actually Legurskey played at center not guard in the playoffs, Ramon Foster was the starter at guard. Personally I think Doug is good to have around for depth along the interior line, but as a starter he gets more exposed, and his lack of height,and bulk becomes problematic.

I knew he played center :wink02: My point though, was that he was taking on two very good NT's, and did it well. RG is an easier position physically IMO, when you are playing against a 3-4. So I don't have much of a problem with him struggling this game. It happens. He'll have to learn how to pick up assignments when playing blitz happy 3-4 teams at Guard.

I'm also curious about the "lack of bulk" I keep hearing about. You do realize that while he's listed as 315 this year, last year, he was listed as 323 and was 1 pound lighter than Trai Essex, 3 pounds heavier than Hampton, and 20 pounds heavy than Pouncey. If his weight is truer to last years weight, only Kemo, and Gilbert are heavier enough to make a difference. Foster, Hampton, Essex are 325, 325, and 324. If Leg. has lost 9 pounds, wouldn't that speak more to his conditioning? I'd rather have a guy 10 pounds lighter and much stronger. Don't forget, he set the record at Marshall for Squatting 705 lbs and 430 on the Hang Clean, both power lifts. I doubt Bulk is a problem with him.

Heck, I just checked a bunch of teams randomly, including the Jets, Patriots, Bills, Cowboys, Ginats, Ravens, Packers Vikes, and Titans, and come to find out, At 315, Leg's the average weight for a OG, if not slightly heavier than average. If he's back to last year's weight, there is only two teams (maybe one, don't remember) that has a heavier Guard. So the rap on him about bulk is completely baseless. Height, sure. But height is only important on the line as it has to do with filling out a frame and getting heavier without getting slower.

So the only thing that gets exposed on Legursky, is his lack of playing time to pick up the blitzes and stunts. That'll come with experience. He's only started a handful of games, and few of those were against a defense the caliber of the Ravens.

HollywoodSteel
09-12-2011, 08:43 PM
The Oline in 2008 was destroyed in 2008 in early SEP by the Eagles. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008092113/2008/REG3/steelers@eagles#tab=recap .
After that game they rallied and guess what ? We won the SuperBowl. Whatever group comes out next week can only get better.

It's true that we can't get worse but we sure as hell can have worse results... Ben can get killed. I thought we went through that stretch of the season with J. Scott at LT because we had to, but to go into the season with him is a borderline crime. Would it have been too much to ask to take a gamble on McKinnie or even Gaither? Make a real play at Matt Light? Far be it from me to question the Steelers front office, but jeez, they seem to be thinking like homer fans. "We got to the Super Bowl with these guys so clearly there's no need to improve."

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-12-2011, 08:45 PM

I think you are mistaken with Dr. Scholl's.

I expect the next guy in line to step up. On the depth chart I believe that it is Gilbert's turn at RT.

Spike
09-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Flozell, have your phone close by big guy.

Amen - - the Rooneys should already have a jet gassed and ready to go pick him up. This is not the time to fuck around. Lie cheat and steal. Promise him a big contract next year.

Colon to IR means we have to pay him and take the cap hit....so the Steelers have only have the reported last estimate of $2.5M to work with the rest of the year.

Flo, dearest, we'll give you a starting RT position for oh, say, $1.5M. Take it!

stillers4me
09-12-2011, 09:08 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1411505679/super_bowl_pic_normal.jpgScottBrown_Trib (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/ScottBrown_Trib)Scott Brown

Flozell Adams' agent has talked to Steelers but says "nothing imminent" as far as a return of The Hotel.

22 seconds ago (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/ScottBrown_Trib/status/113433614141759489)Favorite (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/#)Retweet (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/#)Reply (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/#)

Count Steeler
09-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Essex may be the RT, since Gilbert was listed as injured last week. Bringing in Adams and expecting him to play Sunday, says he is either in great physical condition and ready to go, or we are extremely desperate and in worse shape than we can imagine.

The Duke
09-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Essex may be the RT, since Gilbert was listed as injured last week. Bringing in Adams and expecting him to play Sunday, says he is either in great physical condition and ready to go, or we are extremely desperate and in worse shape than we can imagine.

Chris Clemons and Raheem Brock shouldnt be much of a challenge though

we'll see....

Chidi29
09-12-2011, 10:13 PM
I think you are mistaken with Dr. Scholl's.

I expect the next guy in line to step up. On the depth chart I believe that it is Gilbert's turn at RT.

I'm not talking about anyone specifically. Talking about as the whole.

Chidi29
09-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Chris Clemons and Raheem Brock shouldnt be much of a challenge though

we'll see....

Mebane will be a tougher challenge. I remember Derek Landri, who is still a free agent, being a pest last year.

steel9guy
09-12-2011, 11:54 PM
FREAKEN SIGN HOTEL FLOZELL!!!!!!!!!!!

oneforthetoe
09-13-2011, 12:22 AM

This

But don't you know that the guy on the bench is always the answer, until he gets to play, and then the answer shifts to the next guy on the bench.

oneforthetoe
09-13-2011, 12:28 AM

I like Doug as a backup center, but he is not as good at guard. While many would consider guard an easier position than center, some guys just don't fit the mold. I thought Foster played better than Legurskey at guard last season. That said, as I have said previously, the answer at LG is not on the team. So, you might as well let Doug give it another try this week. If he doesn't make the standard (whatever that may be) then try someone else.

steelreserve
09-13-2011, 02:21 AM
After last year with Aaron Smith never coming back from the same sort of injury, despite keeping a roster spot opened for him, I'm guessing they'll IR Willie without pause.

One game played (badly) in two years does not exactly give me high hopes for the 5 years and $29 million we spent on the guy. Whoops. That's Charlie Batch territory, except at 10 times the price. I don't have anything against Colon, but this is how you end up as the oft-cited player who had his career derailed by injuries and never lived up to his potential. In the salary cap era, contracts that turn out like this are also how you dangle your roster off the precipice. It could well cost us a guy like Wallace or Sanders, or if not, it'll at least hamstring us from signing a competent DB for $4 million or a competent OL for $4 million. Pretty much everything about this is terrible; I cannot think of a way it could've turned out worse.

Austin87
09-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Feel bad for Colon, two season ending injuries in two seasons...poor guy.

I would be happy if they brought back Flozell or Starks, which ever one comes cheaper. We don't have much cap space to work with.