PDA

View Full Version : How to fix what went wrong against Baltimore

BigNastyDefense
09-12-2011, 02:55 PM
How to Fix What Went Wrong Against Baltimore (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/846143-nfl-steelers-how-to-fix-what-went-wrong-against-baltimore)

Sunday wasn't just the Pittsburgh Steelers' first opening day loss in nine seasons. It was a complete whooping in which the Baltimore Ravens out played, out toughed, out schemed, and out coached the Steelers. That is something that I never thought I would right, that the Steelers were out toughed by another team.

The final score was 35-7 due to seven turnovers (five fumbles, three interceptions), a non-existent offensive line, no pass rush, horrible coverage, and bad coaching before and during the game,

I am not hitting the panic button like I am sure some people are. I hate losing to Baltimore more than I hate l hate losing to almost anyone else. But it was just the first game of the season, there are fifteen more games to be played that will shape the outcome of not only the Steelers season, but that of the Baltimore Ravens.

There have been some bad losses by teams during the season where the losing team went on to have success. The Patriots lost 31-0 to the Bills week one in 2003, they went on to go 14-2 and win the Super Bowl. Last year the Jets lost to the Patriots 45-3 and went on to the AFC Championship Game. The 2007 New York Giants lost their last two games of the season 38-21 to the Bills and 38-35 to the Patriots, they went on to win the Super Bowl.

But if the Steelers do not fix what ailed them in Baltimore, they won't be nearly as fortunate as the teams listed.

-------------------------------------

I wrote this article for Bleacher Report....so feel free to check it out and comment....and post your thoughts on here too!

BigNastyDefense
09-12-2011, 03:44 PM
BUMP DAMN IT BUMP!

ALLD
09-12-2011, 05:16 PM
The OL needs to learn to pass block and Ben needs to come up with more short passes to keep their D on their toes. Our D needs to wake the f up too.

polamalubeast
09-12-2011, 05:22 PM
stop the run,protect the ball....

Chidi29
09-12-2011, 05:51 PM
While I appreciate you putting your own ideas in instead of just complaining like some fans, you're talking about a lot of radical changes. Lineup and philopshy changes, and big ones in some cases, after one week albeit a bad one.

I'm all for tweaks here and there, but it's too early to start blowing things up.

salamander
09-12-2011, 05:56 PM
While I appreciate you putting your own ideas in instead of just complaining like some fans, you're talking about a lot of radical changes. Lineup and philopshy changes, and big ones in some cases, after one week albeit a bad one.

I'm all for tweaks here and there, but it's too early to start blowing things up.

Exactly. Give it a few games and if nothing changes, then start changing things up. It's too soon to tell as of now.

shutdown
09-12-2011, 05:58 PM
It was obvious the Steelers were not prepared for this game.

It was obvious how bad the Ravens wanted this game. The talk has been all along "Flacco cant beat Ben", "It's not a rivalry when the Steelers keep winning", etc, etc...

The Steelers came out flat, unprepared, and unmotivated. The Ravens came out looking for blood.

Hopefully this wakes up the Steelers as they're now game back and completely embarrassed.

BigNastyDefense
09-12-2011, 06:06 PM

While some of the stuff is radical, I did write that most of that stuff was a last resort.

However, I think some of those changes also need to be seriously done. For example, stop asking BMac and Gay to do things that they aren't good at. Going to a 4-3 front is a last resort sort of thing, I don't expect it to happen unless we give up a lot of points to Seattle and the Colts.

Chidi29
09-12-2011, 06:32 PM
What makes you think they're going to be good in press coverage?

What we ask of them now is playing to their strengths (and despite what most will tell you, these guys do have strengths).

SteelerEmpire
09-12-2011, 08:48 PM
They need to get rid of that sense of entitlement that they can automatically beat the Ravens every time they play them and have somehow "arrived" as a favorite to win the SB every year and get back to being the "trench soldiers" that got them 6 SB's.

Austin87
09-13-2011, 04:03 AM
What we ask of them now is playing to their strengths (and despite what most will tell you, these guys do have strengths).

LOL! You crack me up Chidi.

steel striker
09-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Alot happened in that game and, at first Ben was passing the short routes. Then the game got out of hand and, he tried to make something happened. Then came the turnovers plus he was running for his life the entire game. It would be nice for once if we had a good o-line to start the season and, after watching other games where certain qb's have a ll day & night to through the I'm mentioning any names. Let's see how they look this sunday and, take this one week at a time. Can't change the past week one is over time to move on.

suitanim
09-13-2011, 10:47 AM
We all know there is but one solution to this, and all other problems, including a Nuclear Iran, World hunger, the economy and the deficit:

Fire Arians!

GodfatherofSoul
09-13-2011, 10:51 AM
1.) Buy a Delorean
2.) Build a Flux Capacitor
3.) Steal plutonium from Iran
4.) Crank that baby up to 88 mph
5.) Deliver game footage to Tomlin Sept. 10, 2011

BigNastyDefense
09-13-2011, 11:58 AM
What makes you think they're going to be good in press coverage?

What are those strengths? Getting beat is the only one that comes to mind.

katmandu
09-13-2011, 12:39 PM
As I see it, the Ravens simply wanted this game much more than we did. This was their Super Bowl in their on turf.

The Steelers looked like they were sitting back resting on their laurels and took the Ravens for granted. With this type of attitude (and play), the Browns and Bungles will be a serious threat to beat us!

The old killer instinct needs to return and in a hurry !!!!

Chidi29
09-13-2011, 01:04 PM
What are those strengths? Getting beat is the only one that comes to mind.

Rarely do these guys get beat. How many big plays did we give up last year? We're year in and year out one of the best in the league in that category.

The only one I can think off the top of my head is McFadden getting beat by Boldin on the TD.

What other long passes to Baltimore have? At least, against our CBs.

McFadden is one of the best in the league against the run. It's awesome to watch how physical and intense he is. He'll throw his body into Vonta Leach going full speed, he'll knock himself silly and injure himself. He doesn't care. Knows it's a requirement of this defense and he does it. That's a big reason why Ike stopped shadowing the #1 WR exclusively and McFadden plays the majority of snaps at strong side CB.

Gay is a solid blitzer though I don't think it's tough to find one that can do that. Usually, he's coming in free. Tomlin has also praised his "awarenes" likening the nickel back job to that of a safety.

Both plays are physical against the run, willing to get their nose dirty, and solid tacklers. That's what this secondary is built to do. That is our scheme, our identity.

Heck, look at the two CBs we drafted. They had what, a combined 8 career interceptions? We're not about the 4.4. ballhawks who can lock you down. Haven't been since the days of Rod Woodson.