PDA

View Full Version : 2012 - feeding the addiction

Aussie_steeler
09-12-2011, 03:13 AM
2011 saw the emergence of the Steelers Universe Draft Celebrity.

Own very own LLT and Chidi became media personalities who gained respect and credibility with their analysis and opinions.

But as well all know that behind every celebrity is usually an entourage of hangers on that feed the dream. Usually they rely on their agent, their media consultant, their wardrobe consultant, their stylist and some even have time for a family life.

However those of us in the know, that for every star there also needs to be a pimp and dealer to feed their addictions. And everyone here knows that here at Steelers Universe we have many pimps and dealers that feed the habits of LLT and Chidi.

So here I am in 2012 with my efforts to ensure that our mock junkies dont go into unnecessary withdrawals.

Today was not a good day all round. Actually I think I may have got lucky when I chose to record todays game. (it started at 3am here in Oz)
I spent the last two days preping for an operation that most men in their 40's and above with a family of bowel cancer know all about. Whilst I was under getting probed in the alien way little did I know that the Steeler O line would be invaded with the same indignity that I was experiencing. After I awoke from the drug induced slumber I recouped quick enough at home to jump online to see the outcome. A performance that was as loose and equally bad on the nose as I had been myself.

The final outcome for me was much better. At least I was given a clean bill of health and the prospects of a couple of positive seasons in front of me. I am reluctant to forecast the same for the Steelers.

Lets start feeding the addiction.

stillers4me
09-12-2011, 04:04 AM
Congrats on the clean bill of health! :thumbsup:

As for the Steelers, we got our asses handed to us in a Victoria Secret bag. Is that all you girls got to show??

Aussie_steeler
09-12-2011, 04:31 AM
Week 1 Mock draft ( still using NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM as my reference point for rankings)

As of today, September 12 2011, the steelers are officially ranked #31 in the nfl and number 2 on the draft clock. With that in mind I dont want to pick at #2 and can see great value in trading with someone ( Seattle Seahawks at #6 , Pete Carroll will want Matt Barkley QB from USC giving up 1st, 2nd Round picks in 2012 plus a high 2013 pick)

Round 1 (Traded from #2 to #6 with Seattle)

Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama JNR 6,2 192"

Time to sure up the secondary with a stud. No need to be in the QB sweepstakes and I dont see Kalil at this pick over the bama CB.

Round 2 - 34

David De Castro OG Stanford JNR 6'5 312"

Left Guard is a major need. Time to get the man that has been missing since Faneca was in his prime.

Round 2 - 38

Alameda Ta'amu Washington DT 6'4 330''

Josh Chapman is gone and I really could see an ILB here like Hightower, Keuchly or others. I dont see a NT of quality that is available later. Time to plan for life after Casey.

Round 3

Shane Skov ILB Stanford 6'3 243"

I dont see 5 ILB's being taken in the first two rounds so i am going to dream a little in having James Farrior's heir fall this far. I dream for Donta Hightower ( i have been pimping him for 2 years) but I cant afford that luxury here. ILB is an absolute must this draft and this guy is a tiresome contributor across the field. Skov is a gamer who much like Timmons could handle multiple positions in the steelers 3-4 LB corp.

Round 4

Brandon Mosely OT Auburn 6'6 320'

Top 100 pick and I think that Marcus Gilbert is the LT heir apparent. A RT / swing tackle would be a good pick for the team

Round 5

Doug Martin RB Boise State 5'9 215"

Mendenhall is in the last year of his contract. He has shown himself to be outspoken and probably with go the way of former #1 picks Burress and Holmes. Redman gets the starters hat, Baron Batch looks like a 3rd down candidate so lets bring in a good RB to compete. He can run with power and is able to catch out of the backfield. The days of Bettis are long gone and this offense looks for multidimensional backs.

Round 6

Nick Foles QB Arizona 6'5 240"

Batch is old, Lefty has no righty and Dixon is just not up to it. Why not bring in a QB for a look. Truth be known Foles climbs the board in a big way and wont make it past the 3rd or 4th on his measurables alone.

Round 7

Tony Jerod-Eddie DE Texas A&M 6'5 300"

Why? I like his name. I like his size and at this point of the season I dont have any real sleepers. Camp body because Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are slowing with age. One will be gone and the practice squad needs a big unit on it.

Dont forget that there will be about 2 comp picks in the draft because of Matt Spaeth and Co that left via free agency.

LOOK - ITS EARLY IN THE SEASON AND MY STUFF IS NOT GOOD YET.
The 2011 recipe was not real good and I was way off the mark. This early in the season my mock cant be as bad as what I served up last year. ( really - what was I thinking with going with Brandon Harris)

Aussie_steeler
09-12-2011, 04:34 AM
Congrats on the clean bill of health! :thumbsup:

As for the Steelers, we got our asses handed to us in a Victoria Secret bag. Is that all you girls got to show??

Thanks Stillers4me.

Did they leave any sexy lingerie in the victoria's secrets bag? I am just asking what I know TEX is thinking.

Chidi29
09-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Completely missed this thread. Glad I came across it last night.

First off, happy to hear the doctors' news.

Just started to get into the draft, but I can comment on a few things.

Don't see us taking a CB in the first round. It's not our M.O., just two in the first since '79, and I don't see that changing. Especially trading up and giving up a lot to get one.

Watched Mosley the other day and was impressed. Wish he was a little bit nastier though. Like my big uglies to have that fire in their bellies.

You're right that I don't see Foles falling that far. Although I haven't watched him yet and don't have any feelings on him yet.

Chidi29
09-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Look forward to discussing the draft throughout the year Aussie.

Texasteel
09-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks Stillers4me.

Did they leave any sexy lingerie in the victoria's secrets bag? I am just asking what I know TEX is thinking.

You know me well.

I'm hanging on to the LB idea in the first round that or a NT. All though your 2nd round pick would please me. I have an idea we may go OL again in the 3rd again. Haven't had a chance to watch much collage yet but I am going to.

I am so happy that you got a clean bill of heath. I know you haven't been feeling to well for a while and I have been concerned about that. Keep me up dated.

Aussie_steeler
09-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Completely missed this thread. Glad I came across it last night.

First off, happy to hear the doctors' news.

Just started to get into the draft, but I can comment on a few things.

Don't see us taking a CB in the first round. It's not our M.O., just two in the first since '79, and I don't see that changing. Especially trading up and giving up a lot to get one.

Watched Mosley the other day and was impressed. Wish he was a little bit nastier though. Like my big uglies to have that fire in their bellies.

You're right that I don't see Foles falling that far. Although I haven't watched him yet and don't have any feelings on him yet.

I dont see us drafting in that spot at all. I am just going to mock out a few drafts using our current standings on nfl.com ( currently we are ranked #31)

Got to watch Boise State yesterday play Toledo. I kept a very keen eye on Nate Potter LT. Gotta say I wasnt impressed with him at all. Got beat by the speed guys in the passing game and in the running game he consistently left his feet and dived at the knees of his assigned man. Doesnt look like a steeler at all.

However I did find a steeler candidate in the Iowa State game. LT Kelechi Osemele looked like this years Mike Iupati. He is a huge man who handle the LT spot with ease in the college game. However he has OG written all over him in the pro's. If you get a chance have a look at some film. He is a steeler guard in the making.

Getting a lot of college games through cable this year as well as ESPN3 being provided via my iSP provider. I am a very lucky man this year.

Aussie_steeler
09-18-2011, 03:29 AM
Caught some of the Arizona vs Stanford game

Stanford at times just played jumbo running football out of the I formation. ( no WR's) DeCastro was a beast at RG. He pulled and blocked like an animal. He has top 40 pick written all over him.

I am getting excited by the play of both DeCastro and Osemele.

The only disappointment in this game was the injury to Shane Skov. Could be season ending which would likely mean that he wont declare this year.

Like you tex all I want is OG, NT and ILB.

LLT
09-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Caught some of the Arizona vs Stanford game

Stanford at times just played jumbo running football out of the I formation. ( no WR's) DeCastro was a beast at RG. He pulled and blocked like an animal. He has top 40 pick written all over him.

I am getting excited by the play of both DeCastro and Osemele.

The only disappointment in this game was the injury to Shane Skov. Could be season ending which would likely mean that he wont declare this year.

Like you tex all I want is OG, NT and ILB.

This is a good year to pick up a stud ILB in the first round.

Courtney Upshaw of Alabama 6'2 265 4.76...
Manti Te'o of Notre Dame 6'2 255 4.59....
and Don'ta Hightower of Alabama 6'4 260 4.74

BUT.... this class is pretty deep with Vontaze Burfict of Arizona State (who I like alot), Luke Kuechly of Boston College, and Emmanuel Acho of Texas all being possible 2nd and 3rd round prospects.

So the question becomes ...do you go for a prospect in the earlier rounds who plays a position that isnt as deep in this draft...with the knowledge that you can still get a stud at ILB later on?

I would be tempted to take NT Alameda Ta'amu of Washington (6'3 337) in the first and look at a stud ILB in the 2nd or third. That being said...Ta'amu is playing with a cast on one arm and it is affecting his stats....he could slide into the 2nd if that continues which would be fine by me!!

Variables...gotta love em!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-19-2011, 03:33 PM
I'd be happy with DeCastro or Ta'amu at this point.

Good to hear you have a clean bill o health. But, you say "operation"....didn't you just get scoped?? or was it more invasive? Just curious because I am in the med field and have had to drink the colyte too. Funny thing is they now have HD scopes because you cant view a colon in standard definition any longer.

Aussie_steeler
09-20-2011, 03:28 AM
I'd be happy with DeCastro or Ta'amu at this point.

Good to hear you have a clean bill o health. But, you say "operation"....didn't you just get scoped?? or was it more invasive? Just curious because I am in the med field and have had to drink the colyte too. Funny thing is they now have HD scopes because you cant view a colon in standard definition any longer.

scoped is probably the medically correct term. Was knocked out, so I missed the pleasure / pain. Polyps and roids are always on the agenda.

I know that we are all keyed in on OG, NT and ILB but I think that Mendenhall will be gone at the end of his contract. Redman is the logical man to step up however there will be a spot open for another RB. Throw in OT and this draft will give us plenty of options to toss around.

With the new rookie pay scale I will be very intrigued to see the mindset that teams now employ with their draft strategy. Some teams are going to trade up like crazy because it isnt going to cost them huge in terms of salary and signing bonus money, whilst cap constricted teams will employ the pats strategy of trading down to stock up on picks to fill rosters with cheaper options.

Colbert probably sticks true to form and takes BPA. Depending on where they pick is has to be O line IMO. OG's on the roster look horrendous, but I cant say that OT is much better.

LLT
09-23-2011, 05:43 AM
Up early again this morning so I thought I would throw another early Mock out based on current draft rankings.

1) OG David DeCastro Stanford 6'5 312
I totally agree with Aussie about DeCastro. He plays more like Faneca then he does Kemo. Athletic OG who is one of the better run blockers that I have seen in a while.

2) NT Kwame Geathers Georgia 6'5 350
Huge NT prospect with NFL bloodlines. Now that we have a youth movement at DE. you have to think that this is the year to bring in a young NT.

3) ILB James-Michael Johnson Nevada 6'1 240
Underrated ILB prosepect who has quietly racked up 32 TFL over the last three years. Has played inside and outside. Good understanding of playing the pass.

4) OT Tony Bergstrom Utah 6'5 315
Has experience at both LT and RT. Has played last 26 games at RT. Did not allow a sack in regular season last year. Academic All-American

5) FS/SS Aaron Henry Wisconsin 6'0 210
Former cornerback who excelled at safety last year. Returned two interceptions and one fumble recovery for touchdowns. Led the team in forced fumbles.

6) QB John Brantley Florida 6'3 220
I will take a beating for this one but i think that Brantly has the potential to be a good QB in the right system, He has a career completion rate of 66.3% and a career QB rating of 155.5. I look for him to go much higher than projected.

7) SS Sean Richardson Vanderbilt 6'2 220
Yes . another safety and another sleeper pick. Troy and Ryan are not getting any younger and their backups have not shown themselves as being lights out players. Last year Richardson racked up 98 tackles, an impressive 7 tackles for loss,(very nice at the strong safety position), 3 QB hurries, and defended 7 passes. He is an excellent special teams player.

Texasteel
09-23-2011, 08:03 AM
I like you picks. I am shifting my first round toward a OG and think there will be one of two very good ones. NT at 2 has always been my thinking, and that makes Johnson in the three a very attractive pick. I have started reading a lot on Johnson lately. The rest of your picks follow my line of thought as well. Thanks LLT

LLT
09-29-2011, 09:35 AM
I like you picks. I am shifting my first round toward a OG and think there will be one of two very good ones. NT at 2 has always been my thinking, and that makes Johnson in the three a very attractive pick. I have started reading a lot on Johnson lately. The rest of your picks follow my line of thought as well. Thanks LLT

James-Michael Johnson is now fourth in the nation overall, and leads all FBS players with 34 tackles for loss. We have to keep an eye on this kid!!

I am also keeping an eye on Emmanuel Acho from from Texas .....and two more sleepers.

1) Marcus Dowtin from North Alabama
2) Jerry Franklin of Arkansas

The Duke
09-29-2011, 10:20 AM
I haven't been able to watch much college football so far, but I'm concentrating on Datko and Matt Reynolds. Two tackles very likely to be at the end of the first round

really think 2012 is the year we get some real tackles

Texasteel
10-01-2011, 03:35 PM
OK, I played around with a few other positions, but now I would like, once again, to say, " I want an OT " A few of the kids that have caught my attention are.

Andrew Datko, Florida St, 6'6", 321 lb, 5.23 / 40. Late 1st round. This may be my early favorite mainly because he played LT all last year and did a good job. After missing 3 game Datko came back to allow only 1 sack in 11 games, committed only 3 penalties, and only miss 5 blocking assignments. Season grade was 87, second only to Rodney Hudson.

Levy Adcock, Oklahoma St. 6'5" 321 lb, 5.23 / 40. Late 1st round. Adcock played RT all year last year, and did not give up one sack. They have moved him to LT this year so we may know a little more about him later on.

Nate Potter, Boise St. 6'6" 298 lb, 5.18 / 40. Mid to late 2nd round. Potter is undersized and looks to me to have trouble with a bull rush. Can be beat on the outside by a speed rusher but can normally recover.

Matt Reynolds, BYU, 6'4", 305 lb, 5.28 / 40. Late 2nd to mid 3rd. Matt is a little older than the other players, but that may mean he will be closer to playing time. Is was the main lineman on a time that had 7, 200 year rushing games last year. I think their season average was 198 ypg. BYU also gave up 0 sacks in the first 4 games and 2 or less sacks per game in the last 11.

Markus Zusevics, Iowa, 6'5", 300 lb. 5.00 /40 4th or 5th round. A lively OT that seems to be technically sound. Played RT on a good Iowa line mostly because Riley Reiff laid claim to the left side. Solid play that took almost every meaningful snap last year.

Blake DeChristopher, VT, 6'4", 312 lb. 5.10 / 40 Late rounds. Blake was mentioned among the top OTs last year, but suffered a few injuries. He is a tremendous run blocking lineman, that gauges his block by how many times he knocks the defender to the ground.

Chidi29
10-01-2011, 06:46 PM
I've watched Datko twice. Like him a lot too Tex. Very agile and has a solild foundation for a guy that is 6'6. A lot of times, those tall guys double over. Not Datko.

Texasteel
10-01-2011, 08:04 PM
I've watched Datko twice. Like him a lot too Tex. Very agile and has a solild foundation for a guy that is 6'6. A lot of times, those tall guys double over. Not Datko.

I think the main problem with Datko is that if he has a good year he may move right out of our reach. I am hoping that the 3 top Jr.s will come out to help push him closer to us.

Chidi29
10-01-2011, 08:13 PM
I think the main problem with Datko is that if he has a good year he may move right out of our reach. I am hoping that the 3 top Jr.s will come out to help push him closer to us.

Always seems to happen to us. We talk about a guy on here, he gets noticed, and then winds up in the Top Ten. Jonathan Scott continues to start at LT for us. I cry a little more inside. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Texasteel
10-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Yea, unless we do end up having a down year, Datko will likely be gone. There will still be very usable OTs available, but then, our bar for OTs is not set that high.

Aussie_steeler
10-03-2011, 03:54 AM
Caught some of BYU's last game ( against Utah State) and Matt Reynolds looked solid. He played at LT and kept his feet for most of the game ( unlike Nate Potter).

To me Reynolds looks like a RT or a OG. Will be a 3rd rounder or lower at this stage.

I pimped him hard the last few seasons but he is not our O line saviour in waiting.

Was keen to see Pitts Lucas Nix play this week but unfortunately for him he got banged up and had to leave the game. ( MRI reports show that he has no serious damage on a positive note)
Ray Graham was an absolute beast in the game against USF.
Was watching Brandon Lindsey who was playing with his hand down at both LDE and RDE. Reports had it that he didnt handle the OLB switch previously and was moved back to DE. He will earn high grades as a pass rusher, but still may get some looks as a 34 OLB.

Please, Please -- we need OT, OG and NT. It hurts to see a steelers team that is not capable of running the ball or stopping the run.

Texasteel
10-03-2011, 12:32 PM
If I had to pick the first 4 rounds right now I would go with.

1. Andrew Datko OT, The best Sr OT in the next draft. If we keep playing like this he may not be out of reach.

2. Devion Still DT, Can he play NT at 310? Has a bunch of TFL, and can get to the QB.
2b Donteari Poe DT, If he comes out hes 350 he eats up blocks. Sound like a Steeler NT.

James- Michael Johnson ILB, Gets tons of tackle and quick enough to cover sideline to sideline. ( Take a look at Tyler Nielson out of Iowa as well. )

Amini Silatolu OG. A real roadgrader that is know for knocking people out of the way in the running game..

Texasteel
10-06-2011, 07:29 AM
2. Devion Still DT, Can he play NT at 310? Has a bunch of TFL, and can get to the QB.
2b Donteari Poe DT, If he comes out hes 350 he eats up blocks. Sound like a Steeler NT.

So far this year Still has 24TOT, 7TFL, and 1 sack.
Poe has 13TOT

Texasteel
10-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Bad new on Datko. I am reading the the shoulder surgery earlier this month was not a success and one place said he may not play football again.

LLT
10-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Yea, unless we do end up having a down year, Datko will likely be gone. There will still be very usable OTs available, but then, our bar for OTs is not set that high.

What would you think of Stanford's Left Tackle Jonathan Martin? Or Michigan State NT Jerel Worthy? I watched the Wisconsin/Michigan State game to get another look at Tackles Ricky Wagner and Josh Oglesby....I ended up watching Worthy the majority of the time and was impressed by his demeanor (very vocal) and his apparant football intelligence. He seemed to be making some of the defensive adjustments for the team.

Count Steeler
10-23-2011, 02:23 PM
I watched a few minutes of an SMU game a couple weeks ago and I was really impressed with Senior quarterback JJ McDermott. We should keep our eyes on him for 2012 and a deeper draft pick.

Aussie_steeler
10-24-2011, 05:07 AM
I watched the Wisconsin/Michigan State game to get another look at Tackles Ricky Wagner and Josh Oglesby....I ended up watching Worthy the majority of the time and was impressed by his demeanor (very vocal) and his apparant football intelligence. He seemed to be making some of the defensive adjustments for the team.

How did Wisconsin OG Kevin Zeitler look Perry?

I love DeCastro but I think he will be a top 15 pick when all is said and done. Zeitler may be the man down the draft if we are looking for a LG to replace Kemo.

Texasteel
10-24-2011, 10:33 AM
What would you think of Stanford's Left Tackle Jonathan Martin? Or Michigan State NT Jerel Worthy? I watched the Wisconsin/Michigan State game to get another look at Tackles Ricky Wagner and Josh Oglesby....I ended up watching Worthy the majority of the time and was impressed by his demeanor (very vocal) and his apparant football intelligence. He seemed to be making some of the defensive adjustments for the team.

I would sell a kidney to get Martin, but if Kalil, Martin, and Reiff come out, and I thing they will, I would expect them to be gone before the mid teens. If Wagner comes out he would be one for us to watch. You know I am a big Datko, and Adcook fan, but don't like what I have been reading on Datko.

I also like DeCastro, but agree he will be gone early. I am starting to lean toward Cordy Glenn from Georgia, I also like Lucas Nix from Pitt but think hes injured right now. Kevin Zeitler could also be a 2nd or 3rd round option.

If he comes out, and I think he probably will, I Worthy would be a great pick for us, but I am starting to fall in love with Devon Still of Penn St. How ever I have the felling he will go the way of Wilkerson last year and be gone before we get a shot at him.

These are all early round pick. There also several interesting kids that should fall into the mid to later rounds, like Bergstrom of Utah / OT, Zuservics of Iowa / OT, Silatolu of Midwestern State / OG, and Mike Martin of Michigan / DT.

Also, if you get a chance take a look at Tyler Nielson of Iowa. He plays OLB, but I think his future is at ILB in the pros.

LLT
10-24-2011, 10:50 AM
I would sell a kidney to get Martin, but if Kalil, Martin, and Reiff come out, and I thing they will, I would expect them to be gone before the mid teens. If Wagner comes out he would be one for us to watch. You know I am a big Datko, and Adcook fan, but don't like what I have been reading on Datko.

I also like DeCastro, but agree he will be gone early. I am starting to lean toward Cordy Glenn from Georgia, I also like Lucas Nix from Pitt but think hes injured right now. Kevin Zeitler could also be a 2nd or 3rd round option.

If he comes out, and I think he probably will, I Worthy would be a great pick for us, but I am starting to fall in love with Devon Still of Penn St. How ever I have the felling he will go the way of Wilkerson last year and be gone before we get a shot at him.

These are all early round pick. There also several interesting kids that should fall into the mid to later rounds, like Bergstrom of Utah / OT, Zuservics of Iowa / OT, Silatolu of Midwestern State / OG, and Mike Martin of Michigan / DT.

Also, if you get a chance take a look at Tyler Nielson of Iowa. He plays OLB, but I think his future is at ILB in the pros.

I have mentioned Bergstrom of Utah also. He may raise up the charts a bit...he is very intelligent and didnt allow a sack at all last season.

Chidi29
10-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Sucks about Datko. In the two games I watched, he looked like a strong prospect. And he was apparently playing through the shoulder injury all season before it became too much and they shut him down.

Quickly falling in love with Keith Zeitler of Wisconsin. He could be the RG that solves our woes at that spot.

Texasteel
10-24-2011, 12:26 PM
I have mentioned Bergstrom of Utah also. He may raise up the charts a bit...he is very intelligent and didnt allow a sack at all last season.

Could easily sneak into the 3rd round, right where we seen to like picking our OTs.

Texasteel
10-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Sucks about Datko. In the two games I watched, he looked like a strong prospect. And he was apparently playing through the shoulder injury all season before it became too much and they shut him down.

Quickly falling in love with Keith Zeitler of Wisconsin. He could be the RG that solves our woes at that spot.

Wisconsin seems to put out some pretty good OGs, and Zietler is looking pretty good. We have to do something about Kemo though. $10 talent and a 2 cent head, and doesn't seem to be getting any smarter.

Texasteel
10-27-2011, 07:46 AM
The season will be half over soon and I am starting to have some definite feeling toward the upcoming draft. So here is may first mock thinking that we will be drafting in the later 20s.

1. Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan St. 6'3", 310 lbs, 5.04/40. If this Jr. declares this year, and I think he will, he would have a couple of potential NTs ahead of him and could land later in the 1st round. Worthy is an active DT with a bit of an attitude. He is strong and normally will give you a few TFL. He can anchor the center of the line often drawing a double team. He can also get to the QB and I thing lead the Spartans is sacks last year.

YEAR
TEAM
TOT
SOLO
AST
PD
SACK
FF
INT
YDS
TD

MSU (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/127/michigan-state-spartans)

I also considered Dontari Poe DT for Memphis, and Cordy Glenn OG for Georgia.

2nd. Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin. 6'4", 320 lbs, 5.2/40. Could be the best O-lineman for a team that has sent some pretty good OGs to the pros. Works well in the closed areas but has good enough footwork to play a little OT in a pinch. Would likely move right in at RG, and could even replace Kemo, which is my dream.

Also considered Lucas Nix OG for Pitt, and Josh Chapman DT for Alabama.

3rd. Tony Bergstrom, OT, Utah. 6'4", 320 lbs, 5.25/40. Tony is not figured this high right now but I think by the end of the year he will be. Decent foot work, with the strength to seal of the right side. If Gilbert does more to LT would move into the RT spot in a year or so.

Also considered Nate Potter OT for Boise St, and James-Michael Johnson ILB for Nevada.

4th. Tyler Nielson, LB, Iowa. 6'3", 235 lbs, 4.54/40. Plays OLB for the Hawks, but I think will move inside for us. Played ILB in Iowa last game and did a great job. If you like Angerer with the Colts, I think he will be better.

5th. Nick Foles, QB, Arizona. 6'4", 240 lbs, 4.90/40. Sorry guys but its time to do something here. I know he may not be here at this point, but I think would be a perfect 2QB for us.

6th. Christian Thompson, FS, South Carolina St. 6'1" 218 lbs, 4.45. Good size and speed at this point of the draft.

7th. Broderick Binns, DE, Iowa. 6'1", 261 lbs, 4.77/40. Its a crap shoot here, so I am going to throw out another Iowa boy. I think he could play OLB for us. He does have a nak of getting to the QB, and has pretty good hands, good run defense. Got an INT at the line against Arizona last year.

steeldevil
10-27-2011, 08:39 AM
340 pound QB? Run him up the middle! :sofunny:

Assuming its a typo and he is 240.

Texasteel
10-27-2011, 11:43 AM
340 pound QB? Run him up the middle! :sofunny:

Assuming its a typo and he is 240.

Thanks bud, its a mistake. Now I'll just go to my room and cry for a while.

Aussie_steeler
10-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Like the mock Tex. I like Foles and I can see him continue to climb up the rankings. He could well make it into the back end of Round 3.

I think Arians gets the pick in round 1, so I would be a little surprised to see a D pick in round 1.

In your opinion does Tyler Neilsen have the smarts to QB the defence as Farriors replacement. I dont see Timmons picking up that role so the next ILB has to be an instictive leader.

Texasteel
10-28-2011, 05:41 PM
I think the D-lines age, is starting to show itself as a bit of a problem. Smith IMO is gone, and what if Kiesel go's down again. The middle of the line is particularly troubling. I think this may be the year that we can do something about the middle of the line. Thompson and Ta'amu IMO would both go before Worthy, and Still is already moving up the charts. We might be able to get a mid 1st round pick later in the round potentially solidify the center of our D-line. I think Arians gets the next 2 picks and used wisely could do the same for our O-line.

Nielson is was named to the Academic All Big Ten as a fresh, soph, and jr. and I see no reason he would not make it 4 years. As a Jr. he was named to the ESPN/CoSIDA District Seven Academic All American team. He was also named to the 2008, 2009, and 2010 Leadership Group. If he can't handle the job it would not be because of his intelligence.

Aussie_steeler
10-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Nielson is was named to the Academic All Big Ten as a fresh, soph, and jr. and I see no reason he would not make it 4 years. As a Jr. he was named to the ESPN/CoSIDA District Seven Academic All American team. He was also named to the 2008, 2009, and 2010 Leadership Group. If he can't handle the job it would not be because of his intelligence.

That sounds like a resounding YES Tex.

If we cant land someone like Donta Hightower then Nielson sounds like a good options

Texasteel
10-29-2011, 07:10 AM
That sounds like a resounding YES Tex.

If we cant land someone like Donta Hightower then Nielson sounds like a good options

Believe me buddy, Hightower would still be my favorite pick if we can fill the other needs after the 1st, which is not out of the realm or possibility. I think DT Chapman could be had in the 2nd round, and after the 1st 3 OGs, and the 1st 5 or 6 OTs its who ever a team falls in love with. One OT I didn't mention is your guy from BYU, I think he could be a monster at RT, and his age doesn't bother me at all.

Aussie_steeler
10-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Believe me buddy, Hightower would still be my favorite pick if we can fill the other needs after the 1st, which is not out of the realm or possibility. I think DT Chapman could be had in the 2nd round, and after the 1st 3 OGs, and the 1st 5 or 6 OTs its who ever a team falls in love with. One OT I didn't mention is your guy from BYU, I think he could be a monster at RT, and his age doesn't bother me at all.

I keep getting the feeling that the roster is set at OT. With Starks back, Colons big contract and Gilbert drafted & playing I dont see OT as a priority for this draft.

Dont get me wrong, I think we need another one, but I feel that Colbert isnt going to load up at OT. I can see him loading up at OG.

Reynolds is a bit short and light to fit the steelers OT model. At 6'4 315 I think he fits their guard profile.

Texasteel
10-29-2011, 08:55 PM
I really don't think we can count of Colon any more, contract or not contract. We have already been OT starve this year.

Reynolds may be a little shorter than normal but I don't think he is too light, there are several OT prospects in the draft 315 or lighter. Whether he would make a better OG, that is totally possible and something that we will have to keep in mind when we are looking at OGs this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Enjoyed a little time for myself watching De Castro play in the Stanford USC game last night. He is the real deal and if he can add another 10 lbs in the weight room, he will be even better.

The guy that jumped out at me on the O line though was Jonathan Martin. Tall, agile and athletic pass protector, but gets good pad level and hip roll in the run game. I know he is a junior, but if he comes out he is gonna go in the 1st round this year.

Aussie_steeler
10-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Enjoyed a little time for myself watching De Castro play in the Stanford USC game last night. He is the real deal and if he can add another 10 lbs in the weight room, he will be even better.

The guy that jumped out at me on the O line though was Jonathan Martin. Tall, agile and athletic pass protector, but gets good pad level and hip roll in the run game. I know he is a junior, but if he comes out he is gonna go in the 1st round this year.

It was a O line feast yesterday. I too believe De Castro is the real deal. He also seems to have a bit of mean blocking streak. Loved him pulling to the left and blowing up the linebackers.

Wasnt a bad game either.

Aussie_steeler
11-02-2011, 05:11 AM
Havent mocked for a while. I think I will go heavy in this one.

1. (pick 25 or later) Peter Konz OG / OC Wisconsin ( De Castro is gone - I think Konz would make a great OG and a very good backup OC)
2. (pick 57 or later) Mark Barron SS Alabama ( cant miss safety who is too good to pass up here)
3. (pick 89 or later) Andrew Datko OT Florida State ( another big bodied OT wouldnt go astray)
4. (pick 123 or later) Nick Foles QB Arizona ( quality back up QB that has a ton of upside)
5. (pick 158 or later) Tyler Neilson ILB Iowa ( quality LB with leadership skills - Farriors replacement down the road)
6. (pick 192 or later) Frank Alexander OLB Oklahoma ( cant ever have enough OLB's in Pittsburgh)
7. (pick 220 or later) Tony Jerod Eddie DE Texas A&M ( big bodied DE)
7. (pick 230 or later) Hebron Fangupu DT BYU ( former USC D lineman who can play anywhere on the 3-4 D line)

Texasteel
11-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Good eye Aussie.

Konz reminds me of Wood that so many of us wanted just a few years ago. Problem? If Konz does come our this year he will be the top center in the draft, and we all remember what happened to Wood. We may not get a shot at him.

Barron has the size and speed I like in a SS, and to be honest, Troy isn't getting any younger. As sure of a thing as you will find in the 2nd round. Problem? Same as Konz, I can see this kid going into the combines and lighting the place up.

Datkos shoulder surgery has me scared a little. He was my top Steelers OT prospect in the 1st round, but I am hearing that the surgery may not have been very
successful.

You know I am a fan of Foles, Nielson, and Eddie. Will be interested in what comp. pick we get this year.

Good Job buddy.

The Duke
11-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Im glad you're noticing Foles. I've been really into him, Keenum and Kellen Moore this year as possible Ben backups. Though I still think Moore is kinda small, but his play is excellent

Foles on the other hand seems like another big, yet slower, Ben. Erratic but gets it done

Would be hard to get him in the 4th if he continues playing like he has this year

Texasteel
11-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Michigan - Iowa game is on ESPN at noon / I want to watch Worthy of Mich. and Nielson of Iowa.

Wisconsin - Purdue is on ABC at 3:30 / I want to see both Konz and Zietler of Wisc.

It I get time to turn into the LSU - Alabama game / would like to watch Barron of Alabama.

7willBheaven
11-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Besides posting updates from various mocks (which i havent done in a while) I dont usually follow this too heavily until the end of the season (esp the college season)...as players rise and fall and all that stuff waaaay too much during the season it seems. Obviously I'm not sure what order or whatever the Steelers should draft certain positions...but since I'm bored right now I'll give a few thoughts on the positions/etc I think at this point the Steelers should look into (in no particular order)...

OG - At this point I'm thinking a higher pick on an OG would be good. Kemo is so up and down it seems...I wouldnt mind getting a solid LG and maybe moving Kemo to RG (though Foster has done fairly well), shoot maybe cut Kemo who knows.
NT/DT - Hoke and McLendon both have played decently this year. I think it'd be nice to get another young guy in there for Casey to work with before he's done. Maybe a mid to higher round pick here.

S - While I do not hate Will Allen like some people do...Mundy obviously is ahead of him on the depth chart now (and Mundy's play has been solid)...i think now is the time to spend maybe a mid rounder (someone who could become a starter) on the S position. I think Mundy could easily start (as he's shown already)...but I do not see Will Allen as a starter at this point.

QB - This year they HAVE to spend a mid round pick on a solid (non injury prone) backup QB. Lefty being hurt the last 2 years and IR'd...Batch seems to get hurt easily at times...and Dixon...well I think that experiment is over (as much as I was pulling the for the guy). If nobody gets hurt next preseason I would like to see it be Ben, one of the vet QBs and the rookie.

TE - While David Johnson has improved a lot...i think he is still below what Spaeth was. Saunders is still unproven at this point. If Heath was to go down...they dont have someone who is close to his level to fill in...so i wouldnt be against a mid round pick here either.

LB - I do not see this as big of a need as some do...but i still think it is a need. At ILB you have Timmons set...and Foote/Farrior are up there in age (while they havent been playing terrible)...all they have behind that is Sly and Ivy. While I think one of them could become a starter...its hard to say at this point...so maybe a mid to higher round pick could be used at ILB.

Some will say we need an OT...while i wouldnt be against a late rounder...if they re-sign Max after the year to a couple year deal...i think they could be set. I wouldnt be against having Gilbert at LT and Max at RT...and Colon who knows...we'd all like him at OG but who knows if they will happen. If Max isnt brought back...then I wouldnt mind a mid round pick instead of a late round pick.

Other than that...the last pick could be used where ever...maybe another CB...I dunno. Thats just my rambling thoughts for the moment.

Texasteel
11-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Michigan - Iowa game is on ESPN at noon / I want to watch Worthy of Mich. and Nielson of Iowa.

Wisconsin - Purdue is on ABC at 3:30 / I want to see both Konz and Zietler of Wisc.

It I get time to turn into the LSU - Alabama game / would like to watch Barron of Alabama.

Nielson looked very good at MLB. Was in on several tackles at the line of scrimmage, and dropped into pass protection and did a good job unless he had to cover for about 10 or more sec. Pretty much controlled his area. DE Binns looked good. He was very active and showed the athletics needed to play OLB. Got to the runner more times than not, and knocked the pass down at the line 2 or 3 times.

Don't know what I was thinking, Worthy plays for Michigan St. I didn't get a chance to watch that game.

The middle of Wisc. O-line was incredible. Konz is ready for the pros and could start on several lines tomorrow. Move him to OG, or keep him at OC and move Pounsey to OG, either idea kinda gets me worked up. Zietler continually pushed his man completely out of the middle opening holes even I could limp through, I am getting to love this kid. In my mind a very real 2nd round option. Between Konz and Zietler there was no pass rush coming up the middle. Also found myself watching OT Ricky Wagner. Don't know if Konz and Wagner will enter the draft or not, but definitely these are 3 to watch.

Aussie_steeler
11-06-2011, 01:48 PM
I too am onboard as a Konz / Zeitler fan tex.

Only saw the back end of the Iowa game and Neilsen looked solid on the plays I saw ( when it was mostly passing situations). Jerod-eddie ( DT / DE) looked like the 6th or 7th round prospect he is listed as.

The bama / LSU game really showcased some extreme talent on D for both sides. Hightower or Upshaw would be awesome in the middle. Kirkpatrick and Clairborne were great in cover at CB. Mathieu has a pea for a brain and looks like a Baltimore type player. Barron and Lester would both be great options at safety. Currently I am leaning towards Barron as being cover being Troy.

This game was loaded with NFL talent and dont be surprised to see a whole lot of these guys drafted in the first two rounds come draft time.

Trent Richardson will be a top ten pick.

Texasteel
11-13-2011, 06:32 AM
Watched Cordy Glenn yesterday, and I was impressed. I think he is playing out of position at LT, but is quick enough and has good enough footwork to pull as a OG and get to the second level. I think you put him between Pouncey, and Gilbert we would be able to run on that side all day. I know this is not an option, but I would love to see Glenn on the left side and Zeitler move into the RG position.

While I was watching the game I watched Mosley, RT for Auburn. I did not like him at all. Looked slow and clumsy to me. Got beat off the line by the defender a few times, and actually saw him cross one foot over the other in pass protection, his kick slide was that bad. He is suppose to be a 3rd round pick,,,,,,,, I wouldn't take him in the 6th.

Texasteel
11-20-2011, 05:55 AM
Watched Wisconsin, Michigan, and Yale yesterday.

Wisconsin. I watched the O-line as usual and saw nothing to damper my inthusiasum for Konz, or Zietler. Konz is a machine inside, and Zietler controlled his his man moving him almost at will. Zeilter pulled at lest 3 times, blasting the LB two steps before the RB got to the hole. I would love Zeitler in the 2nd round.

Michigan. I wanted to watch Mike Martin DT. Mike has play NT for the Wolverines in 2009, and 2010 and did a very nice job, being voted as their best D-lineman in 2009. Since Michigan has switched to the 4 man front this year the defense has done a much better job making me wonder if Martin would do better in a 4-3 defense. Right now Martin is considered a 4th round pick.

Yale. I was lucky finding their game against Harvard. Yale's QB Patrick Witt did not have a particularly good game but did show a stronger arm than I thought he had. Witt has shown very nice touch, accuracy, and intelligence in the past. Even though Yale got blown out this game I still saw Pro quality to Witt's game. Likely would be a career back up, which is what we need right now. I believe Witt is considered a 6th or 7th round pick.

Aussie_steeler
11-21-2011, 03:42 AM
Thanks TEX - didnt catch those games.

I got to catch the Oklahoma State vs Iowa state game.

Justin Blackmon is going to be a ball catching machine. he can catch anything. However he was held pretty well by Iowa State CB Leonard Johnson ( 5'10 202") who will definitely draw interest in the 3rd & 4th rounds. This was the matchup of the game

OSU QB Brandon Weedon is a good game manager, but at 28yrs he will be a very challenging prospect. Freshman QB Jared Barnett stepped up big for Iowa state in his first big game. Keep an eye on him over the next few years.

I was keen to watch OSU FS Markelle Martin. As a 2nd round prospect he was an intriguing prospect. Unfortunately for OSU, who play a 2 Free safety system, they lost 2 FS's to injury so a 3rd string safety was playing beside Martin. This allowed Iowa State to consistently target the other side. Martin bit a few times and got beat bad.

OSU OT Levi Adcock was very solid. Not the flashiest guy who stands out but he was fundamentally good. On the other O line OT Kelechi Osemele looked equally as impressive. Osmele is significantly thicker than Adcock and he played with a meaner streak. Two good players who would be OK with me if taken at the right value

By the way - it was a cracker of a game with Iowa State stepping up big time.

Texasteel
11-21-2011, 06:56 AM
Thank You Aussie

I think Osmele is considered the 3rd best OG prospect this year and an early to mid 2nd rounder. Huge man isn't he, could look nice next to Pouncey.

I liked Adcock early and think he could hold down the RT spot for a long time, but still think there will be a OT available in the late 3rd that could be just as good.

I'm wanting to take a look at OTs DJ Fluker of Alabama, and Bobby Massie out of Mississippi, as I am starting to hear that their could be entering this years draft.

Chidi29
12-20-2011, 07:29 PM
May have just found my sleeper NT prospect.

Texasteel
12-21-2011, 05:57 AM
May have just found my sleeper NT prospect.

And that NT would be????????????

Aussie_steeler
12-21-2011, 02:38 PM

I know who mine is.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89561&draftyear=2012&genpos=DT

I cant find a candidate from the recent bowl games. What are your guesses TEX?

Chidi29
12-21-2011, 03:25 PM

According to the rules of this board, he becomes an automatic first rounder, right?

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=90654&draftyear=2012&genpos=DT

Kid from Compton, avoided the gangs, made something out of himself. Was with Washington for a brief time and got looks from places like USC and Cal but couldn't meet academic reqiurements. Led Kingsville to having a top rush defense two years ago and top 15 this year. Hard to find a lot of game footage but in what I did, he's quicker hands than you'd think and obviously guy that will command double teams.

Chidi29
12-21-2011, 03:26 PM
I know who mine is.

Hebron Fangupo

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89561&draftyear=2012&genpos=DT

Good call Aussie. Will have to look fro him in the Cougar's bowl game.

Texasteel
12-21-2011, 07:03 PM
I know who mine is.

Hebron Fangupo

I don't know if you could call him a dark horse, but I like the kid out of Michigan, Mike Martin

How ever you got a good one in Fangupo. He or the kid out of Baylor, Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, should get a look out of us.

Don't know anything about your kid Chidi, but will be looking for him.

Aussie_steeler
12-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Caught the Louisana Tech and TCU bowl game.

Ended up watching the ILB's for both teams and really looked hard at Tank Carder.

The guy has football instincts however he is one of those NFL tweeners - not fast enough for OLB in a 4-3, too small for a ILB in a 3-4 and too big and slow for SS.

If he was 20 pounds lighter and half a second faster he would be a good SS in black and gold.

his good football sense will see him contribute somewhere.

LLT
12-22-2011, 09:02 AM
I still want Worthy in a bad way...but if we had to pick a NT sleeper I would be willing to take a chance on Ishmaa''ily Kitchen of Kent State. 6'3 334 lbs....He suffered an elbow injury in September and missed several games. I think he is pretty underrated.

Texasteel
12-22-2011, 04:10 PM
I still want Worthy in a bad way...but if we had to pick a NT sleeper I would be willing to take a chance on Ishmaa''ily Kitchen of Kent State. 6'3 334 lbs....He suffered an elbow injury in September and missed several games. I think he is pretty underrated.

I agree LLT. My first option is Worthy, and if we go else where with the first pick then I have a couple of ideas for the second. I don't really want to go dark horse with an NT this year. I think the position is too important this year, and we will have a shot at a very good play in the first two rounds.

Aussie_steeler
12-23-2011, 05:23 PM
I look at this draft and see loads of defensive talent. I also think that it is the O's turn to pick in the first.

My candidate list for the first at the moment is:

1. De Castro - best pure guard in a while ( you trade for him if he falls past the 14th pick IMO)
2. Jonathon Martin - OT ( Kalil and Rieff are going way too high to consider)
3. Mike Adams - OT I think he may well be the pick at this point in time
4. Peter Konz - OC / OG This is the guy I like. He can cover three position
5. Cordy Glenn - OG I am not sold on this guy and at this point he is almost of my list

The other D options that may be too good to pass up if they are available

1. Luke Keuchly
2. Courtney Upshaw
3. Donta Hightower
4. Jerel Worthy

I can see my list changing due to juniors chosing to stay at home.

Merry Christmas draftgeeks

Chidi29
12-23-2011, 05:47 PM
NT out of Memphis, name slips my mind because I don't know much about hin (D. Ponti, something like that) has delcared.

Seems tough to watch any Memphis footbal though.

Aussie_steeler
12-23-2011, 07:20 PM
NT out of Memphis, name slips my mind because I don't know much about hin (D. Ponti, something like that) has delcared.

Seems tough to watch any Memphis footbal though.

Dontari Poe 6'5 350

be interested to see how mobile he is.

Chidi29
12-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Dontari Poe 6'5 350

That's it, thanks!

I'd just love to see any footage on him. Don't know where to find it.

Texasteel
12-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Dontari Poe 6'5 350

In know he's not very quick, but don't know how well he moves in the middle. I can see him slipping ahead of Worthy.

Another underclassman that I have heard may come out is Sylvester Williams out of North Carolina. 320 and a little quicker than Poe. He could be a legitimate 2nd round option.

Texasteel
12-23-2011, 07:30 PM
That's it, thanks!

I'd just love to see any footage on him. Don't know where to find it.

Good luck, I've been trying to find film on him for weeks.

Texasteel
12-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Well DeCastro did declare for the NFL draft and has sign with an agent. To be honest, this means little to the Steelers except that it will push one more player to us, but what is interesting is that Brandon Washington of Miami has declared also. Washington is a 6'4", 330 lb OT that most scouts think could play outside if needed, but would be a pro bowl caliber OG. Last I check Washington was figured to be the 4th best OG prospect and would fall at the end of the 2nd round. I have not watched Miami at all this year, but know that he is highly thought of by most if not all pro scout.

Thinks are starting to fall in place. We will most likely be seeing early entries grow very quickly now.

Chidi29
01-04-2012, 01:46 AM
I'm surprised that Jeff Fuller's stock is down, at least from what I've read. The YPC are down but he's still a big-play guy who finished the season well.

Aussie_steeler
01-07-2012, 04:25 AM
Scouting reports for first round candidates that I like for OG

# 1 Brandon Washington Miami 6'4 320" OG / OT

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=50395

The more I read and observe the more I am leaning towards Washington as being the best OG available in the back 3rd of the first round. The bonus with Washington is that he is also a realistic RT possibility down the line.

( as I stated in the mock draft thread Cordy Glenn scares me as a 350" prospect. I keep thinking Herman Johnson for some reason. A first round prospect amongst all us amatuers but a late round prospect for the pros)

#2 Peter Konz Wisconsin 6'5 315" OC / OG

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Breaking-down-the-game-of-Wisconsin-OC-Peter-Konz.html

Konz has been my #1 target due to his ability to play both OG & OC with my thinking that it provides great possibilities across 3 O line positions.

If you are interested here is the scouting report for the benchmark of this class at OG

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Is-Stanford-OG-David-DeCastro-worth-a-top-10-pick.html

I really like the fact that both Washington and Konz are legitimate prospects at the OG position, however they each have versatility that makes them more valuable. Washington wins out in a tie breaker ( Colbert likes them younger)

Aussie_steeler
01-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Havent mocked for a while so here is my latest

Pre Post Season Mock

1. OG Brandon Washington Miami 6'4 320"

2. CB Stephon Gilmore Sth Caroliona 6’1 193”

3. . ILB Emmanuel Acho Texas 6’2 245” ( think he may well be a late 2nd round pick with a great combine)

4 OT Levy Adcock Oklahoma State 6’5 320

5. OLB Olivier Vernon Miami 6’3 265

6. WR Jordan White 6’0 215” Western Michigan ( punt returner as well)

7a. NT Hebron Fangupu BYU 6'1 331

7b. QB Austin Davis Sth Miss 6'1 221"

7c. DT / DE Markus Kuhn 6'4 303 NC State

st33lersguy
01-08-2012, 10:45 PM
With the Steelers loss tonight, they will have the 24th overall pick

Chidi29
01-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Well guys, time to buckle down. Next order of business for the team: the draft.

The Duke
01-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Well guys, time to buckle down. Next order of business for the team: the draft.

something tells me that's your favorite part of the year :chuckle:

Chidi29
01-09-2012, 09:34 PM
something tells me that's your favorite part of the year :chuckle:

It's a second Christmas.

Texasteel
01-10-2012, 05:05 AM
There are some of us that has draft season lasting all year long. Your right Chidi, time to start putting some of our thoughts in print.

Chidi29
01-10-2012, 05:22 AM
I know I still have a ways to go with evaluating players. Only up to around 50 right now where my target goal is to surpass last year of 81. Especially with all the underclassmen declaring.

Bluecoat96
01-10-2012, 08:49 AM
I have to admit that I'm pretty excited for the draft. I would think that being 24th in the first round will allow us a little more wiggle room in terms of moving up for a quality player. However, being 32nd would have been even cooler! lol

Steeltreal
01-10-2012, 09:54 AM
24 is a gambling spot.

1 Rd - Janoris Jenkins

Aussie_steeler
01-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Got a chance to watch some bowl games that I had recorded during the bowl season.

Michigan State vs Georgia

Was really keen to see the matchup of Cordy Glenn and Jerel Worthy. Whilst watching the play of these two I also got to see a lot of Georgia Center Ben Jones. Worthy was matched up with Jones a lot and it seemed a pretty even contest to me most game. Worthy had a lot of success when he was working on the Georgia guards and was very disruptive.

LLT and Tex, I can see why Worthy is gaining a lot of interest but I wasnt blown away with his potential as a pure 3-4 NT. When double teamed he was pretty quiet. I can see him being a very attractive prospect for a 4-3 team with his ability to disrupt and get after the QB from the inside.

Cordy Glenn looked more agile than I expected. He wasnt attacked a lot and when he was he locked on pretty well. On a few occasions he totally neutralised Worthy when they went head to head. When confronted by a pure speed rush I didnt like that he tried to block by leaving his feet and cutting the runner. We are really going to need to see how he works out at guard to see if he is a #24 candidate. At this point I dont think I would be taking him at 24. I am keen to hear El Gonzo's assessment of the OG candidates and his views on whether it is time to transition to a different profile O lineman.

Jerel Worthy will be gone before the #24 pick IMO. If he was there at #24 I really dont know if he would translate perfectly across to the 3-4 NT. He would most definitely be BPA so I guess you would have to make the pick.

Ben Jones was a real surprise to me. He looked like he is the real deal as a draft prospect ( as I had previously not considered him). I would have no problem picking him up in the 3rd and moving Pouncey to LG. Being the 2nd rated OC I think he will go late in the 2nd or early in the 3rd.

Didnt spend a lot of time analysing the Georgia D vs the Spartans O.
Kirk Cousins will attract mid round attention at QB. he had a good game to get the spartans back in the mix
Bacarri Rambo showed some promise but I find it really hard to evaluate free safeties.
Brandon Boykin really stands out as a returner. Solid CB

A couple of studs everyone needs to keep an eye of for future drafts are:

William Gholston 6'6 280" sophmore DE MSU ( vernon gholstons cousin - a physical specimen who can actually play. WOW)
LeVeon Bell 6'2 237" sophmore RB MSU ( strong running kid who packs a punch)
Anthony Rashad White 6'2 320" Junior DT MSU (showed Worthy up on occasions and will attract some looks next year with Worthy gone)
Alec Ogletree 6'3 240" sophmore ILB Georgia ( was every and very disruptive. Watch this space)
Kwame Geathers 6'5 350" sophmore DT Georgia ( huge kid that has an NFL body and will see a lot more starting time next year)

Like most people I watched the National Title game and I was blown away by the quality and depth of the players on the Defensive side of Alabama. Upshaw, Hightower, Kirkpatrick, Barron, Lester and Chapman all have NFL futures ahead of them. I lost sight of the LSU players due to their dominance.

I particularly watched Josh Chapman with the eye of making a strong comparison with Jerel Worthy ( Upshaw and Hightower are players I would take instantly in the 1st). Chapman looked like the Casey Hampton style runplugger that we are accustomed to seeing in black and gold. Consistently facing double teams that allowed his linebackers to swarm and harass all day. He didnt beat the blocks and cause the disruption that Worthy showed but to me they play totally different DT assignments. IMO Chapman will come in for strong 2nd round consideration from the steelers and shows more tenacity than Ta'amu from Washington who will be sitting around the same value.

Plenty more games to watch whilst on holidays. I think Wisconsin v Oregon will be next with an eye particularly on Konz and Zeitler.

Texasteel
01-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Real nice job Aussie, and I can't argue with anything you say. The one thing that bothers me about Worthy is consistency, but I do think he can hold down the middle of the line although he is different from what we are use to see playing there. I really think that Worthy will be gone before we pick, as will Glenn IMO. That would leave Zorn, Hightower, or Poe possible picks for us. Another possible pick that no one has mentioned so far could be Zac Brown of North Carolina. he played OLB but at 6'2", 230 lb., and a 4.5 / 40. I think he could move to the middle. I am even wondering if he could even play SS for us, just a thought. I watched him once, and he looked to cover well, and moves side to side well. I am hoping someone here will know a bit more about him than I do.
I do like Chapman and have in fact thought of him as a possible 2nd rounder for us.

I think that a draft starting with Hightower, Chapman, Zeitler would be a nice start for us.

Another name to look at could be Florida St's Dadko. He is a OT I was very high on earlier but backed off of after his shoulder injury. I am reading that his second operation went well and may move back into the 2nd round. I don't think he will be able to do much, if anything, in the combines and might fall to the 3rd round. He could be a gamble, but one that might pay off big.

LLT
01-11-2012, 09:46 AM
I agree with Tex that Worthy isn the prototypical size that we are used to as a starting NT (Closer to Hoke size)...but he possesses the elite leverage and strength that we are missing since Hampton started to decline. He would demand the double team and sometimes collapse the pocket...that is all I care about if we stay in the 3-4 allignment. BUT...I agree that there is a chance that he will be gone. If that is the case what would our draft look like?

Hmmmmmmm....

1st Round: OT Mike Adams of Ohio State....6'6 320
Athletic former TE with good knee bend and solid strong base. Gonzo will love his kick slide...very smooth. Will be a legitimate LT prospect with a year or two to learn the system... while throwing himself into an NFL weight program.

2nd Round: NT Alameda Ta'amu of Washington... 6'3 337
Wont win any foot races but will collapse the pocket and demand the second blocker.

3rd Round: OG Amini Silatolu of Midwestern State....6'3 324
Oh....how I love me some Div II talent. Silatolu is a Mauler who is quick footed and solid at pass and run.

4th Round: ILB Emmanuel Acho of Texas...6'2 245 lbs
Those who have watched him this year know that he can be a violent tackler. Actually much better in pass coverage than I thought he was when I watched him last year. I wanted his brother Sam when he was drafted but would be very happy to get the younger Acho.

5th Round: SS/FS Trenton Robinson of Michigan State....5'10 195
Runs a 4.46...athletic...and a playmaker. Has played strong and free safety. Good value for the 5th round

6th Round: QB Chandler Harnish of Northern Illinois...6'2 220
Hmmmmm...a 6th round QB prospect who had a QB rating of 156.14 in 2010 and 137.9 in 2009. As a freshman he led NIU in total offense with an average of 206.7 yards per game and set the NIU record for total offense by a freshman with 2,067 yards. Ranked 10th in the MAC in rushing yards with 539 on 118 attempts (4.6 yards per carry) and completed 118-of-211 passes with eight touchdowns for an efficiency rating of 120.7

7th Round: DE Derek Wolfe of Cincinnati .... 6-5 300
Played DT for Cincinnatti but would be a DE in our system...Best player you have never heard of...had 21.5 tackels for loss this year with 9.5 sacks. Had 37 career TFL and 18.5 career sacks

Steeltreal
01-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Those who have watched him this year know that he can be a violent tackler. Actually much better in pass coverage than I thought he was when I watched him last year. I wanted his brother Sam when he was drafted but would be very happy to get the younger Acho.

Out of Sylvester , Ivy , and Harvey, assuming Farrior and Foote wont be here next year. Isnt the 4th round a little late for a ILB?

LLT
01-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Out of Sylvester , Ivy , and Harvey, assuming Farrior and Foote wont be here next year. Isnt the 4th round a little late for a ILB?

Foote WAS a fourth round draft pick.

I still maintain the belief that Sly is our future starter next to Timmons. ILB is one of the positions that I can see us bringing in a Vet (like we did with Fox) who can fill in if Sly isnt ready at the beginning of the season. Keep your eye on playeres like Dan Connor from the Panthers and Rocky McIntosh of the Washington Redskins.

steelerdude15
01-11-2012, 10:41 AM
I'd still love to pick up David DeCastro from Stanford, but he might not be there by the time its our chance to pick. Plus, I've heard he wants to stay for his senior year, but I'm not one hundred percent sure on that.

Texasteel
01-11-2012, 11:54 AM
I'd still love to pick up David DeCastro from Stanford, but he might not be there by the time its our chance to pick. Plus, I've heard he wants to stay for his senior year, but I'm not one hundred percent sure on that.

He has declared, and I believe has hired an agent. That means there is no turning back. I don't think he will make it any place near us.

LLT
01-11-2012, 12:07 PM
He has declared, and I believe has hired an agent. That means there is no turning back. I don't think he will make it any place near us.

CBS sports has him ranked as the #9 best player in this draft. I dont think he makes it out of the top 15.

Texasteel
01-11-2012, 04:31 PM
I agree with Tex that Worthy isn the prototypical size that we are used to as a starting NT (Closer to Hoke size)...but he possesses the elite leverage and strength that we are missing since Hampton started to decline. He would demand the double team and sometimes collapse the pocket...that is all I care about if we stay in the 3-4 allignment. BUT...I agree that there is a chance that he will be gone. If that is the case what would our draft look like?

Hmmmmmmm....

1st Round: OT Mike Adams of Ohio State....6'6 320
Athletic former TE with good knee bend and solid strong base. Gonzo will love his kick slide...very smooth. Will be a legitimate LT prospect with a year or two to learn the system... while throwing himself into an NFL weight program.

2nd Round: NT Alameda Ta'amu of Washington... 6'3 337
Wont win any foot races but will collapse the pocket and demand the second blocker.

3rd Round: OG Amini Silatolu of Midwestern State....6'3 324
Oh....how I love me some Div II talent. Silatolu is a Mauler who is quick footed and solid at pass and run.

5th Round: SS/FS Trenton Robinson of Michigan State....5'10 195
Runs a 4.46...athletic...and a playmaker. Has played strong and free safety. Good value for the 5th round

6th Round: QB Chandler Harnish of Northern Illinois...6'2 220
Hmmmmm...a 6th round QB prospect who had a QB rating of 156.14 in 2010 and 137.9 in 2009. As a freshman he led NIU in total offense with an average of 206.7 yards per game and set the NIU record for total offense by a freshman with 2,067 yards. Ranked 10th in the MAC in rushing yards with 539 on 118 attempts (4.6 yards per carry) and completed 118-of-211 passes with eight touchdowns for an efficiency rating of 120.7

7th Round: DE Derek Wolfe of Cincinnati .... 6-5 300
Played DT for Cincinnatti but would be a DE in our system...Best player you have never heard of...had 21.5 tackels for loss this year with 9.5 sacks. Had 37 career TFL and 18.5 career sacks

After all these years, your finally givin me my LT

If we can sign Connor I like this draft very much. It maybe the 1st doable draft I've seen so far.
I could see Silatolu moving up out of our 3rd round reach after the scouts get a good look at him, so you may want a back up or a way to move up 10 or 15 spots.
I like Acho very much. Give a little time behind Connor could suprise a lot of Steeler fan,,,,,,,, in a good way.
Haven't watch Harnish but he sounds good. I have been keeping and eye on Lindley in San Diego St. and think he could be an option as well.
Wolfe is intreaging, isn't he. One thing he is, is consistant. I think his stats have been almost exactly the same the last 3 year. He's got a great name as well.

You know me, I'm bouncing all over the place right now so it may be a while before I put together a mock.

Devilsdancefloor
01-11-2012, 09:10 PM
1-Kelechi Osemele, OT/G, Iowa State 6-5" - 347.

2-Josh Chapman - NT - Alabama - 6'1" - 310lbs

Aussie_steeler
01-12-2012, 12:50 AM
East - West Shrine game roster

http://www.shrinegame.com/en/Teams/2012Roster.aspx

Aussie_steeler
01-12-2012, 01:47 AM
Never heard of this game before.

http://www.casinodelsolallstargame.com/roster

It looks like it is the last chance opportunity for an aspiring NFL player (who has missed invites) to get noticed by someone.

Interesting to see LSU QB Jarret Lee involved in the game. His prospects of playing in the NFL I would have guessed after not getting on the field in the BCS title game, even with Jefferson playing so poorly.

Aussie_steeler
01-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Current list of underclassmen that have declared. ( you all know that I am a disciple of the Kevin " draftem young" Colbert club)

Dwayne Allen, TE, Clemson

Edwin Baker, RB, Michigan State

Mike Ball, RB, ex-Nevada

Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State

Orson Charles, TE, Georgia

Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State

David DeCastro, OG, Stanford

Marcus Forston, DT, Miami (Fla.)

Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

Chris Givens, WR, Wake Forest

Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

Ronnie Hillman, RB, San Diego State*

Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech

LaMichael James, Oregon

Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina

Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse

Matt Kalil, OT, USC

Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin

Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College

Ronnell Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma

Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

Terrell Manning, OLB, North Carolina State

Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

Bobby Massie, OT, Mississippi

Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois

Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (Fla.)*

Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State

Donte Paige-Moss, DE, North Carolina

Nick Perry, DE, USC

Bernard Pierce, RB, Temple

Chris Polk, RB, Washington

Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis

Josh Robinson, CB, Central Florida

Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers

Darrell Scott, RB, South Florida

Tommy Streeter, WR, Miami (Fla.)

Robert Turbin, RB, Utah State

Olivier Vernon, DE, Miami (Fla.)

Brandon Washington, OL, Miami (Fla.)

David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech

Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State

Aussie_steeler
01-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Just found a copy of the 2011 New Era Scouting publication.

Here is a link so that you can have a look to see the quality of their publication.

Looking at their mock draft they nailed 3 picks in Heyward, Gilbert and Williams

http://www.newerascouting.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11GuideShare_opt.pdf

Steeltreal
01-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Just found a copy of the 2011 New Era Scouting publication.

Here is a link so that you can have a look to see the quality of their publication.

Looking at their mock draft they nailed 3 picks in Heyward, Gilbert and Williams

http://www.newerascouting.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11GuideShare_opt.pdf

5 Corners ranked ahead of Claiborne hmm

Aussie_steeler
01-12-2012, 10:58 PM
5 Corners ranked ahead of Claiborne hmm

remember that was last years mock draft and it was published this time last year.

Steeltreal
01-13-2012, 11:11 AM
remember that was last years mock draft and it was published this time last year.

Yea just wondering if they would gamble on Cliff Harris 3rd round. Could be a great return man option. Brown looks like the #1 WR so I wouldnt want him on ST

steeldevil
01-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Hey draft gurus.

I played against a guy in high school that will be in the draft this year and I just want to know where he is projected and where you guys are projecting him. Drafted or UDFA.

Landon Walker OT Clemson.

LLT
02-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Hey draft gurus.

I played against a guy in high school that will be in the draft this year and I just want to know where he is projected and where you guys are projecting him. Drafted or UDFA.

Landon Walker OT Clemson.

Walker is projected as a 7th-UDFA...I havent watched any tape on him at all...but will make a point to do so now.

LLT
02-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Latest draft :

Round 1) ILB Dont'a Hightower, Alabama 6-4 260
Round 2) OG Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State 6-3 324
Round 3) OT Tony Bergstrom, Utah 6-6 315
Round 4) NT Hebron Fangupo, Brigham Young 6-1 331
Round 5) SS Matt Daniels, Duke 6-0 215
Round 6) QB Chandler Harnish, Northern Illinois 6-2 219
Round 7) DE Tyrone Crawford, Boise State 6-4 285
Round 7) ILB/OLB Tank Carder, TCU 6-2 236

Chidi29
02-01-2012, 12:16 PM
You think Carder is going to be that late of a pick? Granted, he isn't really a rangy guy but a sure tackler and seems to be a hard worker.

LLT
02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
You think Carder is going to be that late of a pick? Granted, he isn't really a rangy guy but a sure tackler and seems to be a hard worker.

As of now he is a "medical red flag"....he was involved in a roll over accident as a kid in which he broke his back, punctured his lung and and his diaphragm...he wasnt allowed to play a contact position in football until his senior year in high school . If a team clears him medically...and thinks he can take the beating he would take as a pro player...he could be a steal.

Aussie_steeler
02-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Latest draft :

Round 1) ILB Dont'a Hightower, Alabama 6-4 260
Round 2) OG Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State 6-3 324
Round 3) OT Tony Bergstrom, Utah 6-6 315
Round 4) NT Hebron Fangupo, Brigham Young 6-1 331
Round 6) QB Chandler Harnish, Northern Illinois 6-2 219
Round 7) DE Tyrone Crawford, Boise State 6-4 285
Round 7) ILB/OLB Tank Carder, TCU 6-2 236

Couple of new names I need to look at Perry. Daniels, Harnish and Crawford are new to me.

Carder would be draft gold in the 7th. Seen stranger things happen come draft days

LLT
02-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Couple of new names I need to look at Perry. Daniels, Harnish and Crawford are new to me.

Carder would be draft gold in the 7th. Seen stranger things happen come draft days

I think he plays inside for us...His skillset looks more suited to the inside in a 3-4....He is still as high as the fifth round on some boards...but any history of a broken back is going to take him off the radar for some teams.

Nfldraftscout...lowered him to a late 6th round pick based on his red flag...and Im sure he was ranked as a third rounder at one point.

Chidi29
02-01-2012, 02:17 PM
As of now he is a "medical red flag"....he was involved in a roll over accident as a kid in which he broke his back, punctured his lung and and his diaphragm...he wasnt allowed to play a contact position in football until his senior year in high school . If a team clears him medically...and thinks he can take the beating he would take as a pro player...he could be a steal.

Hmm...didn't know that. Good stuff. His play certainly doesn't indicate that, definitely isn't afraid of contact. I agree, he's a steal if he can be had that late.

LLT
02-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Hmm...didn't know that. Good stuff. His play certainly doesn't indicate that, definitely isn't afraid of contact. I agree, he's a steal if he can be had that late.

Its just about that time.....we are going to start hearing all the 411 on injuries and character issues over the next several weeks.

Chidi29
02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
A friend of mine heard there were red flags on Osemele. I haven't really checked it yet but have you heard anything? I haven't but again, haven't looked into it a ton. Still watching them on the field.

LLT
02-01-2012, 02:29 PM
A friend of mine heard there were red flags on Osemele. I haven't really checked it yet but have you heard anything? I haven't but again, haven't looked into it a ton. Still watching them on the field.

Only that his coaches have had to simplify his assignments...not a realy smart guy. Also a tendency to be a little lazy and his weight is going to have to be watched.

LLT
02-01-2012, 02:32 PM

Im liking Crawford alot....I will have to find the videos I saw of him and send you the link....reminds me a lot of a young Aaron Smith.

Chidi29
02-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Only that his coaches have had to simplify his assignments...not a realy smart guy. Also a tendency to be a little lazy and his weight is going to have to be watched.

But nothing legal/personal, right? That's what I meant, should have been more specific.

steeldevil
02-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Latest draft :

Guy is good. Best player for Duke thats for sure...

But do you think he could ever be a starter for us, or just that reliable backup fill in guy like Mundy the past few years?

Steeldude
02-01-2012, 07:49 PM

This is also Kemo's problem

LLT
02-02-2012, 07:51 AM
But nothing legal/personal, right? That's what I meant, should have been more specific.

No...just the opposite...looks like a good character kid who will need to be coached up and have a fire lit under his butt.

Aussie_steeler
02-03-2012, 04:09 AM
Havent mocked for a while so here is my latest

Pre Post Season Mock

1. OG Brandon Washington Miami 6'4 320"

2. CB Stephon Gilmore Sth Caroliona 6’1 193”

3. . ILB Emmanuel Acho Texas 6’2 245” ( think he may well be a late 2nd round pick with a great combine)

4 OT Levy Adcock Oklahoma State 6’5 320

5. OLB Olivier Vernon Miami 6’3 265

6. WR Jordan White 6’0 215” Western Michigan ( punt returner as well)

7a. NT Hebron Fangupu BYU 6'1 331

7b. QB Austin Davis Sth Miss 6'1 221"

7c. DT / DE Markus Kuhn 6'4 303 NC State

Its amazing how much rankings change in 30 days. Its amazing how much personal opinions and rankings change.

a month on an my perspective has changed a little.

I havent rambled (thought out loud) for a while so tonight seems like a good time.

For those that havent worked out my Mode of Operation I will remind you.

1.the steelers rotate first round picks each year. ( its the O's turn this year)
2.The other side of the ball gets the next pick.
3.Colbert likes them young so he picks Juniors.
4. 25 - 40% of draft picks and UDFA's get interviews with the steelers after the combine

At this point in time I can meet 3 of my 4 points.

My Round 1 Offensive candidates
1. Peter Konz OC/OG (junior)
2. Michael Floyd WR
3. Cordy Glenn OG/OT
4. Mike Adams OT
5. Mohammed Sanu WR (junior)
6. Coby Fleener TE
7. Brandon Washington OG (junior)
8. Kelechi Osemele OG

As far as starters the squad is set at OT with Gilbert and Colon ( yes he will be starting RT) Pouncey at OC, Mendenhall (IR) and Redman at RB, Miller at TE, Wallace / Brown / Sanders at WR. That leaves OG which has to be filled IMO. Cant see a WR or TE being a viable 1st round candidate. An OT is only taken if they think Colon is gone in 2013.

Round 1

Option A: Trade up for David DeCastro ( going to cost too much so rule this one out)
Option B: Sit and Wait for Peter Konz ( he is already gone so this is ruled out)
Option C: Take Cordy Glenn at #24
Option D: take the punt that Cordy Glenn will still be there in another 4 - 5 picks and trade down, getting a late 3rd round pick in return. If you trade down and miss him Brandon Washington is there. ( Green bay trades up to get a CB......Janoris Jenkins / Stephon Gilmore)

Round 2 - Dick LeBeau's turn

LeBeau has a multitude of options in this spot

Option A: Stud ILB at #54 Who is there??? Bobby Wagner or Vontaze Burfict
Option B: Pure 3-4 NT at #54. The candidates are Josh Chapman (yes even injured)or Ta'amu
Option C: 6'0 4.40 speed CB that is too good to pass up. Stephon Gilmore (junior) or Chase Minnifield
Option D: OLB who is fantastic value Ronnell Lewis or Vinny Curry
Option E: Safety prospect Markelle Martin, George Illoka and Sean Spence ( yes he is a LB but at 5'11 220 he is a Polamalu type player IMO)

I err on the side of caution and overpay a little for Josh Chapman to ensure a pure NT for the next 12 - 14 years to replace Casey once he is gone.

Round 3 - Remember we know have 2 3rd round picks ( time to have some fun)

3rd round candidates to consider
RB Isaiah Pead & Chris Polk
OT Bobbie Massie (Junior), Mitchell Schwartz, Matt McCants, Tony Bergstrom and Brandon Mosely ( OG Brandon Brooks)
TE Ladarius Green
Tall WR - Stephen Hill (Junior) Tommy Streeter (Junior) Brian Quick and Dwight Jones
ILB - Nigel Bradham Emmanuel Acho Audie Cole
DE - Kheeston Randel Billy Winn
OLB - Shea McClellin

I have 2 picks so I can afford to go BPA and fill some huge needs. I like OT Bobbie Massie and ILB Nigel Bradham.

Time to put this mind to rest and return tomorrow to finish the thinking outloud.

Summary

1. 29 Cordy Glenn OG (trade down)
2. 54 Josh Chapman NT
3a. 86 Bobbie Massie OT
3b. 91 Nigel Bradham ILB

look out as there are (at least) 5 more picks in this scenario

SteelMember
02-03-2012, 11:10 AM
For those that havent worked out my Mode of Operation I will remind you.

1.the steelers rotate first round picks each year. ( its the O's turn this year)
2.The other side of the ball gets the next pick.
3.Colbert likes them young so he picks Juniors.
4. 25 - 40% of draft picks and UDFA's get interviews with the steelers after the combine

At this point in time I can meet 3 of my 4 points.

My Round 1 Offensive candidates
1. Peter Konz OC/OG (junior)
2. Michael Floyd WR
3. Cordy Glenn OG/OT
4. Mike Adams OT
5. Mohammed Sanu WR (junior)
6. Coby Fleener TE
7. Brandon Washington OG (junior)
8. Kelechi Osemele OG

Nice post with a lot of thought there, Aussie.

I will throw this out there for your list thought...

When was the last time the Steelers picked a guy from Miami?

Florida... Florida State... Sure. Miami... it's been awhile. And I think that was a bust.

Washington is an intriguing player, but I usually, until something changes, leave Miami guys off our list.

Now watch this year be the exception. :lol:

Aussie_steeler
02-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Nice post with a lot of thought there, Aussie.

I will throw this out there for your list thought...

When was the last time the Steelers picked a guy from Miami?

Florida... Florida State... Sure. Miami... it's been awhile. And I think that was a bust.

Washington is an intriguing player, but I usually, until something changes, leave Miami guys off our list.

Now watch this year be the exception. :lol:

I agree with your sentiment.
Guys from the U usually have that Miami gangsta element.
It will be interesting to see if Washington earns an interview after the combine. (probably not)

Texasteel
02-05-2012, 06:58 AM
I have put some thought into this and I think my pre combine mock is begining to lock itself down. I know several will not like it but here it is.O

1st - Mike Adams, OT, Ohio St. 6'7", 323lbs.,5.28/40. I still think that a LT is far harder to find than a OG, and I think Mike will be the BAP, if he is still available. Mike has a prototype LT body. A large man with very good footward and long arms. He does everything you want a LT to do and does it well. He has the footwork to stay in front of a speed russer, and the strength and blocking tech. to keep a bull russ from blasting into the backfield. This would also let us keep Gilbert at RT where he seems to be growing game by game, and keep us from hearing the words, "Starting at LT, Johnathon Scott.

2nd - Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisc. 6'4", 315lbs., 5.26/40. I have liked this kid from day one. Kevin, again does everything you want out of a LG, and does it very well. He has the feet and quickness to pick up a blitzing LBer. and seldom will miss his block. Where he is not quite as tech. sound as Adams, he is still able to seal off the inside, and will not let his man run free or force him into the QBs face. I think is the best pulling OG I have seen for some time. Uses his hands and strength well to cast off his 1st block and engage his man on the second level. He is also smart enought to know when the whisle blows, you don't jump on someones back.

3rd - Hebron Fangupo, NT, BYU, 6'1", 330lbs., 5.08/40. Nope I'm not kidding. Hebron started on USC, but transfered to BYU for family reasons. This caused him to have a bit of a slow start, and, I think has cause him to be overlooked by many. They are starting to notice him now. He has been moving up the charts and I think could land in this position in the 3rd round. Stronge kid that handles his weight well. Will clog up the middle on the run, and can push the pocket on passing plays. Will not give us many sacks but can push his man, or men, back into the pocket making life on the QB a lot harder. I beleive he had 33 TTs, with with 6 TFL.

4th - Aaron Henry, FS, Wisc., 6'0", 208lbs., 4.52/40. Made the transition from CB to FS, and is consitered a big play safety. Led the team in fumble recovered, and second on the team in INTs, and pass defended.

From here I am still looking at late round players. I have a few that I like, but still undecide on who fits, and who I like better.

SteelMember
02-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Tex... I really like you 4th rounder. Although, I believe with a good workout showing his speed, he could climb into the 3rd. With the increasing importance of talent from the nickel and dime packages, I think this guy could really fit nicely and boost coverage over the middle.

Another guy I really like that will go around this window is Harrison Smith out of Notre Dame.

Safety is nowhere as deep as CB in this draft, so if we decide we need to get a youthful backup at either spot, I believe the 3rd round is where we should go.

Texasteel
02-18-2012, 11:17 AM
I've spent a little time revisiting as kid I watched earlier. Michael Brewster, 6'4",315 lb, OC out of Ohio St. Brewster came into this year figure as one of the top OC prostpects in the country. He had a little problem with some of his snaps later in the year, but is a good run blocker and is pretty good in pass protection. He looks like he would be comfortable playing inside the box as a OG, and can get to the second level. Probably would need some work, and coaching, but would give us another opption at OC, while developing into a good OG. Anyone else have any thoughts on him?

Steeltreal
02-18-2012, 11:51 AM
4th round - 120th - Michael Brewster

Texasteel
02-18-2012, 12:02 PM
4th round - 120th - Michael Brewster

That about where I am figuring, but I'm going to keep an eye on him in the combines.

ShutDown24
02-18-2012, 12:05 PM
I've spent a little time revisiting as kid I watched earlier. Michael Brewster, 6'4",315 lb, OC out of Ohio St. Brewster came into this year figure as one of the top OC prostpects in the country. He had a little problem with some of his snaps later in the year, but is a good run blocker and is pretty good in pass protection. He looks like he would be comfortable playing inside the box as a OG, and can get to the second level. Probably would need some work, and coaching, but would give us another opption at OC, while developing into a good OG. Anyone else have any thoughts on him?

Just on initial observation, I liked him as a guard. I get worried about interior linemen anywhere over the 6'3 mark. But especially at center. I think even Pouncey still struggles with leverage at times due to his height. In the mid rounds, there isn't too much else to dislike about Brewster. Played big time college ball for a long time which is always a huge plus in my book. Probably one of the better values if his stock doesn't improve much between now and late April. I see him leaving the board somewhere between picks 75 - 90 when all is said and done.

Aussie_steeler
03-25-2012, 04:37 AM
Been a long time since I mocked so lets get one going. ( have had no net for around a fortnight due to an upgrade that coincided with a major flooding episode in Australia)

I am going to give two versions.

a. We lose Mike Wallace ( tonight)
b. We keep Mike Wallace (later in the week)

Version A - Mike Wallace to the Bengals ( pick 1.21)

The Bengals snag Mike Wallace with an RFA tender. Making their O stronger whilst also making their rivals weaker. Dalton / Green / Wallace???

The steelers trade 1.21 and 1.24 ( trade value points 1540) with Seattle receiving their 1.12 ( 1200), 3.12 ( 210) and 4.12 ( 78)

1.12 David De Castro OG Stanford. 6'5 316" Say no more.
2.24 Josh Chapman NT Alabama. 6'1 316" Best 2 gap NT in the draft -- Bar none.
3.12 Brian Quick WR Appalachian State 6'4 220" Tall timber at WR would complete the corp with Wallace gone.
3.24 Nigel Bradham ILB Florida State 6'2 241" All the LB's cant be on huge contracts. Bradham competes with Foote and Stephenson.
4.12 Kirk Cousins QB Michigan State. 6'3 214" Quality #2 QB that has immense upside
4.24 Lucas Nix OG / OT Pitt 6'5 317"
5 Aaron Henry FS Wisconsin 6"0 208"
6 Chris Greenwood CB Albion 6'1 180"
7a Buddy Jackson CB Pitt 6'0 180"
7b Markus Kuhn DE NC State 6'4 304"

ShutDown24
03-25-2012, 06:48 AM
Been a long time since I mocked so lets get one going. ( have had no net for around a fortnight due to an upgrade that coincided with a major flooding episode in Australia)

I am going to give two versions.

a. We lose Mike Wallace ( tonight)
b. We keep Mike Wallace (later in the week)

Version A - Mike Wallace to the Bengals ( pick 1.21)

The Bengals snag Mike Wallace with an RFA tender. Making their O stronger whilst also making their rivals weaker. Dalton / Green / Wallace???

The steelers trade 1.21 and 1.24 ( trade value points 1540) with Seattle receiving their 1.12 ( 1200), 3.12 ( 210) and 4.12 ( 78)

1.12 David De Castro OG Stanford. 6'5 316" Say no more.
2.24 Josh Chapman NT Alabama. 6'1 316" Best 2 gap NT in the draft -- Bar none.
3.12 Brian Quick WR Appalachian State 6'4 220" Tall timber at WR would complete the corp with Wallace gone.
3.24 Nigel Bradham ILB Florida State 6'2 241" All the LB's cant be on huge contracts. Bradham competes with Foote and Stephenson.
4.12 Kirk Cousins QB Michigan State. 6'3 214" Quality #2 QB that has immense upside
4.24 Lucas Nix OG / OT Pitt 6'5 317"
5 Aaron Henry FS Wisconsin 6"0 208"
6 Chris Greenwood CB Albion 6'1 180"
7a Buddy Jackson CB Pitt 6'0 180"
7b Markus Kuhn DE NC State 6'4 304"

I like it a lot Aussie. The Cousins pick surprised me a bit and I haven't seen much of FSU so Bradham is something of a mystery to me. But you addressed all of our needs. I'm still rather against trading up for DeCastro but if we can get Chapman in the second that's first round value right there. It seems like Quick is underrated. Can't wait to read the other version!

Aussie_steeler
03-26-2012, 04:37 AM
We keep Mike Wallace mock

1.24 Donta Hightower ILB 6'2 265 Bama JNR -- Been pimping this guy for a couple of years. He was born to be a steeler and could have been born out of the loins of Levon Kirkland. A thumper that has a brain. Will lead the D for a long time and will destroy many a AFC north. ( for those that know me this goes totally against my philosophy - 2012 is due for a jnr on the O side of the ball)

2. Josh Chapman NT 6'1 316" Bama -- best 0 technique NT in this draft. Casey is on his last wheels, whilst Chapman dominated the college level on one wheel. When fully fit he will be the next Casey Hampton. ( I hate going back to back Bama picks but I cant see two better options)

3. Brandon Washington 6'3 320 OG Miami JNR -- Legursky and Foster are adequate but not long term prospects at OG. Legursky is better suited as OG / OC backup on game day. Washington has experience at both OG / OT and looks naturally suited to play OG in the pro's. Give him to Kugler for a year and I think he grows into something good.

4. Lucas Nix OG 6'5 316" Pitt -- When there is a deficit on the roster the steelers usually load up on that position. Another run orientated guard who can also swing out to RT if needed.

5. Coryell Judie CB 6'0 194" Texas A&M -- Tall, fast, tackles and best when playing zone. ST's demon as well. Fits the mould of late round steeler CB pick

6. WR Jordan White 6’0 215” Western Michigan ( punt returner as well - interesting toy for Haley who plays in a similar manner to Hines Ward.....my 2012 pimp)

7a. QB Austin Davis Sth Miss 6'1 221" Brett Favre Junior.

7b. DE Markus Kuhn NC State 6'4 304" Take a flyer on this big bodied DE who played in the shadow of JR Sweezy but on film outplayed him IMO. German heritage and has taken to the game very quickly. Has a ton of potential. Time on the PS to learn his craft.My 2012 draft sleeper pick)

No FS, OLB or OT. Probably a bit line heavy but I believe it is warranted. Only one possible day 1 starter but players with loads of upside.

I think Curtis Brown or Cortez Allen are potential FS candidates for the future. Nix and Washington can play OT if needed but I believe the roster is set at OT.

ShutDown24
03-26-2012, 04:55 PM
We keep Mike Wallace mock

1.24 Donta Hightower ILB 6'2 265 Bama JNR -- Been pimping this guy for a couple of years. He was born to be a steeler and could have been born out of the loins of Levon Kirkland. A thumper that has a brain. Will lead the D for a long time and will destroy many a AFC north. ( for those that know me this goes totally against my philosophy - 2012 is due for a jnr on the O side of the ball)

2. Josh Chapman NT 6'1 316" Bama -- best 0 technique NT in this draft. Casey is on his last wheels, whilst Chapman dominated the college level on one wheel. When fully fit he will be the next Casey Hampton. ( I hate going back to back Bama picks but I cant see two better options)

3. Brandon Washington 6'3 320 OG Miami JNR -- Legursky and Foster are adequate but not long term prospects at OG. Legursky is better suited as OG / OC backup on game day. Washington has experience at both OG / OT and looks naturally suited to play OG in the pro's. Give him to Kugler for a year and I think he grows into something good.

4. Lucas Nix OG 6'5 316" Pitt -- When there is a deficit on the roster the steelers usually load up on that position. Another run orientated guard who can also swing out to RT if needed.

5. Coryell Judie CB 6'0 194" Texas A&M -- Tall, fast, tackles and best when playing zone. ST's demon as well. Fits the mould of late round steeler CB pick

6. WR Jordan White 6’0 215” Western Michigan ( punt returner as well - interesting toy for Haley who plays in a similar manner to Hines Ward.....my 2012 pimp)

7b. DE Markus Kuhn NC State 6'4 304" Take a flyer on this big bodied DE who played in the shadow of JR Sweezy but on film outplayed him IMO. German heritage and has taken to the game very quickly. Has a ton of potential. Time on the PS to learn his craft.My 2012 draft sleeper pick)

No FS, OLB or OT. Probably a bit line heavy but I believe it is warranted. Only one possible day 1 starter but players with loads of upside.

I think Curtis Brown or Cortez Allen are potential FS candidates for the future. Nix and Washington can play OT if needed but I believe the roster is set at OT.

Don't think I'v seen a mock I like any better than this one.

Steeltreal
03-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Add 2 More 7's. Cordarro Law out of Southern Miss any thoughts?

The Duke
03-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Don't think I'v seen a mock I like any better than this one.

same here

dont think I've heard of Judie and Kuhn, but if a draft like this happens oh my....

Texasteel
03-26-2012, 09:39 PM
same here

dont think I've heard of Judie and Kuhn, but if a draft like this happens oh my....

Judie is a little known, but very good prospect, whos name I have been afraid to say out loud.

All I know of Kuhn is that he is very raw, but has show talent. Needs time and coaching.

Great finds Aussie, and your usual great work.

PS. If Judie starts to climb now, It's your fault this year.

Aussie_steeler
03-27-2012, 02:49 AM
Judie is a little known, but very good prospect, whos name I have been afraid to say out loud.

All I know of Kuhn is that he is very raw, but has show talent. Needs time and coaching.

Great finds Aussie, and your usual great work.

PS. If Judie starts to climb now, It's your fault this year.

I am happy to wear that one Tex.

Shutdown and Duke - thanks for the positive comments.

I have a couple more names up my sleeve so I guess I should play my cards now.

Seeing that we are getting 3 comp picks in round 7 I guess I better add some more diamonds to my mock.

Aussie_steeler
03-27-2012, 03:30 AM

5. Coryell Judie CB 6'0 194" Texas A&M-- Tall, fast, tackles and best when playing zone. ST's demon as well. Fits the mould of late round steeler CB pick

7b. LB Miles Burris 6'2 246 San Diego State - Check out this guys bio. He will be a special teams demon. Has a great track record for SDSU and his measurables are off the charts in some areas. Could be a real sleeper that blooms into a quality player

7c. DE Markus Kuhn NC State 6'4 304" Take a flyer on this big bodied DE who played in the shadow of JR Sweezy but on film outplayed him IMO. German heritage and has taken to the game very quickly. Has a ton of potential. Time on the PS to learn his craft.My 2012 draft sleeper pick)

7d. K Carson Wiggs Purdue 6'1 221" Quality leg strength. Good distance on Kickoffs. Needs to work on accuracy on mid range field goals. I am looking for a cannon.

suitanim
03-27-2012, 11:51 AM
A word on Brewster. He's a 4 year starter at OSU...that's no mean feat. Are people really thinking 4th? I thought he'd go sooner than that.

I guess we had FIU's T.Y. Hilton in for a look. I watched him play against Akron in person this year. Let me tell you, this kid has Antonio Brown II written all over him. He's also Wallace-fast.

steelerdude15
03-27-2012, 11:55 AM

5. Coryell Judie CB 6'0 194" Texas A&M-- Tall, fast, tackles and best when playing zone. ST's demon as well. Fits the mould of late round steeler CB pick

7b. LB Miles Burris 6'2 246 San Diego State - Check out this guys bio. He will be a special teams demon. Has a great track record for SDSU and his measurables are off the charts in some areas. Could be a real sleeper that blooms into a quality player

7c. DE Markus Kuhn NC State 6'4 304" Take a flyer on this big bodied DE who played in the shadow of JR Sweezy but on film outplayed him IMO. German heritage and has taken to the game very quickly. Has a ton of potential. Time on the PS to learn his craft.My 2012 draft sleeper pick)

7d. P Carson Wiggs Purdue 6'1 221" Quality leg strength. Good distance on Kickoffs. Needs to work on accuracy on mid range field goals. I am looking for a cannon.

We need a kicker! Let's draft three of them with those three extra picks in the seventh. :chuckle:

ShutDown24
03-27-2012, 01:49 PM
A word on Brewster. He's a 4 year starter at OSU...that's no mean feat. Are people really thinking 4th? I thought he'd go sooner than that.

I guess we had FIU's T.Y. Hilton in for a look. I watched him play against Akron in person this year. Let me tell you, this kid has Antonio Brown II written all over him. He's also Wallace-fast.

He should be rising. Like I said above I can see him going somewhere between picks 75 - 90.

suitanim
03-27-2012, 04:36 PM
He should be rising. Like I said above I can see him going somewhere between picks 75 - 90.

Which one? I think both are rising. I read that Hilton had an injury last year that is healed. If that kid was playing with an injury, then he might be FASTER than Wallace. As for Brewster, kid is solid. I see him as an OG too.

LLT
03-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Just food for thought......The more that I look at how some things are playing out in this upcoming draft...dont be surprised to see Pittsburgh trade out of the 2nd round and pick up an extra 3rd and 4th round pick.

If that is the case....we might see:

1) OT MIke Adams
3a) NT Alameda Ta'amu
3b) ILB James-Michael Johnson
4a) OG Lucas Nix
4b) WR Ty Hilton (I called this one several weeks ago)
5) FS Eddie Whitley
6) DE Akiem Hicks
7) CB Terrence Frederick
7) ILB Brandon Marshall
7) OG Antoine McClain
7) DE Marcus Kuhn

suitanim
03-29-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm thinking Hilton may go as high as the third round by draft day.

Texasteel
03-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Just food for thought......The more that I look at how some things are playing out in this upcoming draft...dont be surprised to see Pittsburgh trade out of the 2nd round and pick up an extra 3rd and 4th round pick.

If that is the case....we might see:

1) OT MIke Adams
3a) NT Alameda Ta'amu
3b) ILB James-Michael Johnson
4a) OG Lucas Nix
4b) WR Ty Hilton (I called this one several weeks ago)
5) FS Eddie Whitley
6) DE Akiem Hicks
7) ?
7)?
7)?
7)?

Thought I was the only one that still liked Adams. Like the draft bud.

27 days to go!!

LLT
03-30-2012, 03:30 AM
I'm thinking Hilton may go as high as the third round by draft day.

Its possible....his current draft status is based on his having a bad quad......he proved it's healed by running a 4.28 forty.

LLT
03-30-2012, 04:36 AM
Okay...got a llittle time....lets try another possibility.

1) ILB Donta Hightower
3a) NT Alameda Ta'amu
3b) OT Tony Bergstrom
4a) OG Lucas Nix
4b) WR Ty Hilton
5) FS Eddie Whitley
6) DE Akiem Hicks
7) CB Terrence Frederick
7) ILB Brandon Marshall
7) OG Antoine McClain
7) DE Marcus Kuhn

ShutDown24
03-30-2012, 04:42 AM
Okay...got a llittle time....lets try another possibility.

1) ILB Donta Hightower
3a) NT Alameda Ta'amu
3b) OT Tony Bergstrom
4a) OG Lucas Nix
4b) WR Ty Hilton
5) FS Eddie Whitley
6) DE Akiem Hicks
7) CB Terrence Frederick
7) ILB Brandon Marshall
7) OG Antoine McClain
7) DE Marcus Kuhn

I like it. A couple of questions/comments.

1. Do you guys think Nix makes it to the 4th though? I'm starting to think he's going to be gone.

2. Hilton & Kuhn sure do seem like fan favorites already.

3. LLT, I don't know that I've heard your thoughts on Chapman vs. Ta'amu yet. Care to share? I think Chapman is significantly superior.

NCSteeler
03-30-2012, 05:00 AM
I know Hightower is a monster , but does anyone think he could be a liability in coverage? The way the league is headed with TEs , I just wonder if he is fluid enough.

ShutDown24
03-30-2012, 05:06 AM
I know Hightower is a monster , but does anyone think he could be a liability in coverage? The way the league is headed with TEs , I just wonder if he is fluid enough.

He is average in man to man. Zone is not an issue. In our base set, Timmons should be handling those responsibilities anyway. Hightower would be the run stuffer. Against a team like the Patriots where the possibility of facing two elite tight ends at once is in play, it will be an issue. But not anymore of an issue than it was with Farrior. In nickel or dime sets, Hightower should either be on the sidelines or rushing the passer. He would be a very average option to cover the tight end, but not a liability in most cases.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Thought I was the only one that still liked Adams. Like the draft bud.

27 days to go!!
Steelers are bringing him in for a visit, so they must still like him a bit too. I hope they find out what they need, as you know I am scared of his inconsistency and possible lack of work ethic.

Hey, on another note.....I know we threw the name of Matt Reynolds around here for a couple years. BYU just had their pro day and he apparently looked good. Might be a later round pick for G/RT, as I think his stock slipped. Any thoughts??

Fangopu looked good at DT in their pro day too. I think 4th round or later.

steelerdude15
03-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Steelers are bringing him in for a visit, so they must still like him a bit too. I hope they find out what they need, as you know I am scared of his inconsistency and possible lack of work ethic.

Hey, on another note.....I know we threw the name of Matt Reynolds around here for a couple years. BYU just had their pro day and he apparently looked good. Might be a later round pick for G/RT, as I think his stock slipped. Any thoughts??

Fangopu looked good at DT in their pro day too. I think 4th round or later.

You mean this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZrB69iX6dk

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-30-2012, 05:42 PM
You mean this guy:

Yup, thats the guy. 6'5", 302 lbs. Moves well as you can see on the video.

Steeltreal
03-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers
Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams (3/?).
Miami (Ohio) guard Brandon Brooks (3/30).
Regina defensive tackle Akiem Hicks (?/?).
Florida International receiver T.Y. Hilton (3/?).
Virginia defensive end Cam Johnson (4/?). Another OLB ?
Stanford long snapper Zach Nolan (3/30).
Cincinnati defensive end Derek Wolfe (3/?).

updated visits list per http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/29/2012-draft-visits-and-workout-tracker/

Steeltreal
03-30-2012, 11:43 PM

Pair Woodley with
3a ) NT Mike Martin
4b ) Derek Wolfe

ShutDown24
03-31-2012, 06:58 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers

updated visits list per http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/29/2012-draft-visits-and-workout-tracker/

I could see us taking Hicks and Wolfe. I'm starting to think Hilton will be out of range, he seems to be a fan favorite of quite a few other teams.

Cam Johnson would be a good fit but he shouldn't fall very far past the second round, so I don't think so. They probably brought Mike Adams in to check out his character mostly, again I think he's another no - just doesn't fit the mold to me.

I could be wrong but those are my thoughts on the list.

steeldevil
03-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers

Uh... Really? lol

Steeltreal
03-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Uh... Really? lol
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGltRS5aLsxVOy2BwEzHpDmrj5Uzb3T 8PAP6_A8Aq85vQ0IA2t

Chidi29
03-31-2012, 04:21 PM
You mean this guy:

Reynolds is definitely blue-collar and someone you root for but he isn't much of a prospect. Limited athlete who doubles over and is on the ground way too much.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2012, 07:40 PM
Reynolds is definitely blue-collar and someone you root for but he isn't much of a prospect. Limited athlete who doubles over and is on the ground way too much. doubles over why? Fatigue?

Many had him as a 2nd or 3rd round pick if he came out last year.

Chidi29
03-31-2012, 08:10 PM
doubles over why? Fatigue?

Many had him as a 2nd or 3rd round pick if he came out last year.

It just looks like poor technique to me. I didn't notice any trend where it happened primarily later in the game that could be attributed to fatigue.

There were detractors last year and I didn't see anything that changed my mind. Especially watching him against Texas, he was awful. I see him as a 4th-5th round prospect with limited upside who will have to work in a phone booth.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2012, 10:03 AM
It just looks like poor technique to me. I didn't notice any trend where it happened primarily later in the game that could be attributed to fatigue.

There were detractors last year and I didn't see anything that changed my mind. Especially watching him against Texas, he was awful. I see him as a 4th-5th round prospect with limited upside who will have to work in a phone booth. I think I see him in the 4th as well, but think he can put back on some of the 30 lbs ho lost and play RT or move inside. His o line coach compares him to Logan Mankins who he also coached in college.

ShutDown24
04-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Pair Woodley with
3a ) NT Mike Martin
4b ) Derek Wolfe

The closer we get to the draft the more I like Martin. Reminds me of Kyle Williams. And Wolfe would be solid too. If we went linebacker and offensive line the first two rounds and were able to snag these two somewhere between 3 - 7 that would be great.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2012, 02:43 PM
The closer we get to the draft the more I like Martin. Reminds me of Kyle Williams. And Wolfe would be solid too. If we went linebacker and offensive line the first two rounds and were able to snag these two somewhere between 3 - 7 that would be great.
I like Martin, but I see him as a 1 gap 3 technique. If he reminds you of Kyle Williams, then I am sold...as I would not want Kyle Williams as an heir to Casey Hampton. Maybe as a backup to replace Chris Hoke, but not as a starter.

I know, the usual arguement of "NT's don't have to be big and fat anymore....look a Jay Ratliff" is coming, but if we look at some of the top NT's in the game. they are space eaters, not one gap slashers.

Casey Hampton- 6'1" 325lbs
Antonio Garay - 6'4" 320 lbs
Paul Solai -- 6'4" 355lbs
Sinone Pouha - 6'3" 325 lbs
BJ Raji - 6'2" 337 lbs
Issac Sopoaga - 6'2" 330 bls
Vince Wilfork - 6'2" 325 lbs
Jay Ratliff - 6'4" 287 lbs
Kris Jenkins - 6'4" 360 lbs
Terrance Cody- 6'4" 349lbs
Haloti Ngata - 6'4" 330 lbs
Kelly Gregg- 6'0" 320lbs

At 6'1" 306 lbs. Martin reminds me more of Trevor Laws.

ShutDown24
04-01-2012, 03:28 PM
I like Martin, but I see him as a 1 gap 3 technique. If he reminds you of Kyle Williams, then I am sold...as I would not want Kyle Williams as an heir to Casey Hampton. Maybe as a backup to replace Chris Hoke, but not as a starter.

I know, the usual arguement of "NT's don't have to be big and fat anymore....look a Jay Ratliff" is coming, but if we look at some of the top NT's in the game. they are space eaters, not one gap slashers.

Casey Hampton- 6'1" 325lbs
Antonio Garay - 6'4" 320 lbs
Paul Solai -- 6'4" 355lbs
Sinone Pouha - 6'3" 325 lbs
BJ Raji - 6'2" 337 lbs
Issac Sopoaga - 6'2" 330 bls
Vince Wilfork - 6'2" 325 lbs
Jay Ratliff - 6'4" 287 lbs
Kris Jenkins - 6'4" 360 lbs
Terrance Cody- 6'4" 349lbs
Haloti Ngata - 6'4" 330 lbs
Kelly Gregg- 6'0" 320lbs

At 6'1" 306 lbs. Martin reminds me more of Trevor Laws.

You wouldn't want Williams in a 34? That guy was one of the better pro nose tackles when the Bills were playing a 34 a couple years back - he had a monster season. I don't get it.

Compared to Cody, Gregg and Sopoaga Kyle Williams is a superstar. Jenkins is retired, Wilfork plays in a 43, Garay was just re-signed two days ago after very little market interest and Ngata is an end.

I don't buy the "you don't need a 350 lb nose tackle anymore" because I've never thought a nose needed to be that heavy. If the player has enough functional strength to hold up to blocking schemes without losing ground why does their weight matter?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2012, 05:34 PM
You wouldn't want Williams in a 34? That guy was one of the better pro nose tackles when the Bills were playing a 34 a couple years back - he had a monster season. I don't get it.

Compared to Cody, Gregg and Sopoaga Kyle Williams is a superstar. Jenkins is retired, Wilfork plays in a 43, Garay was just re-signed two days ago after very little market interest and Ngata is an end.

I don't buy the "you don't need a 350 lb nose tackle anymore" because I've never thought a nose needed to be that heavy. If the player has enough functional strength to hold up to blocking schemes without losing ground why does their weight matter?
So you are advocating Kyle Williams. A guy that had what you call a "superstar" year on a 4-12 team, then only played 5 games this past season.

And in the same post you are discounting the careers of Kelly Gregg, Kris Jenkins, Vince Wilfork, Haloti Ngata, Issac Sopoaga to support your point???? Lets be serious please.

I dont think a guy needs to be 350 lbs to play NT either. I just dont think a guy that is 300lbs is a solid option as a 2 gap NT in the NFL. If we want to draft mediocrity to start at NT, then so be it. We should then be used to having a defense ranked 10th or lower in rushing defense.

ShutDown24
04-01-2012, 07:03 PM
So you are advocating Kyle Williams. A guy that had what you call a "superstar" year on a 4-12 team, then only played 5 games this past season.

And in the same post you are discounting the careers of Kelly Gregg, Kris Jenkins, Vince Wilfork, Haloti Ngata, Issac Sopoaga to support your point???? Lets be serious please.

I dont think a guy needs to be 350 lbs to play NT either. I just dont think a guy that is 300lbs is a solid option as a 2 gap NT in the NFL. If we want to draft mediocrity to start at NT, then so be it. We should then be used to having a defense ranked 10th or lower in rushing defense.

Have you watched Williams play? Sure he has missed some time, but I don't hold that against a player - everyone gets hurt. If you think he brings "mediocrity" to the table I'm going to have to call it as an evaluation error on your part, Williams is a quality nose. Just as good as at least half of the guys you mentioned as "the top nose tackles in the game".

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Have you watched Williams play? Sure he has missed some time, but I don't hold that against a player - everyone gets hurt. If you think he brings "mediocrity" to the table I'm going to have to call it as an evaluation error on your part, Williams is a quality nose. Just as good as at least half of the guys you mentioned as "the top nose tackles in the game".

No, I have not watched a lot of Bills games the past couple of seasons, but the games that I did see, he didnt really stand out and I dont expect a lot of NT's to stand out anyways. But then again, the Bills had the WORST RUSHING DEFENSE IN THE NFL IN 2010, with Williams anchoring things in the middle.

Maybe the Bills switch to a 4-3 this season is part of not having the proper personel on the D-line to play a 3-4.

Either way, I will stand by my assertion that Mike Martin is more of a one gap, 3 technique that likes to get upfield, rather than try to anchor 2 gaps like a true zero technique and let the LB's flow to the ballcarrier. I dont think he is a starting NT, but rather a starting DT in the NFL.

LLT
04-02-2012, 10:39 AM
I like it. A couple of questions/comments.

1. Do you guys think Nix makes it to the 4th though? I'm starting to think he's going to be gone.

2. Hilton & Kuhn sure do seem like fan favorites already.

3. LLT, I don't know that I've heard your thoughts on Chapman vs. Ta'amu yet. Care to share? I think Chapman is significantly superior.

Chapman is the better prospect...he can plug the hole and penetrate...incredibly strong and versatile enough to play 3-4 and 4-3 DT. He does come with a red flag, because of ACL surgery on Jan 17th. I also think that in the scenerio given....he will not be there in the third round for us.

Ta'amu is strictly a plugger...going to take up a couple of blockers and steer them towards the ball... which is exactly what we need for a NT in the 3-4 that we run. He will need a year to sharpen his technigue and we will have to monitor his weight, but that isnt something that we havnt dealt with before.

Steeltreal
04-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Keith Tandy - West Virginia visited. The return of Lil Evil.

ShutDown24
04-03-2012, 03:55 AM
Chapman is the better prospect...he can plug the hole and penetrate...incredibly strong and versatile enough to play 3-4 and 4-3 DT. He does come with a red flag, because of ACL surgery on Jan 17th. I also think that in the scenerio given....he will not be there in the third round for us.

Ta'amu is strictly a plugger...going to take up a couple of blockers and steer them towards the ball... which is exactly what we need for a NT in the 3-4 that we run. He will need a year to sharpen his technigue and we will have to monitor his weight, but that isnt something that we havnt dealt with before.

Thanks, your assessment seems to be totally contrdictory to what popular conception is. I find it interesting that you think Chapman penetrates better than Ta'amu, everyone seems to think it's the other way around. I have to admit I did not think Chapman penetrated that well although he halts the point of attack better than any other defensive linemen I looked at. I just watched Ta'amu a few days ago and his inconsistencies worry me. His game seems to disappear at times. I think either player would be great to get our hands on, though.

Aussie_steeler
04-03-2012, 05:13 AM
Here is a great read for all draft freaks.

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/steelers-project-part-1-steeler-way

Wont say to much but I think you guys will enjoy it. Who would have thought Larry Zierlein would have been on some use to us.

Chidi29
04-03-2012, 05:22 AM

Wont say to much but I think you guys will enjoy it. Who would have thought Larry Zierlein would have been on some use to us.

Good stuff. Thanks for the share Aussie.

Chidi29
04-03-2012, 05:39 AM
One of my guys, Marvin Jones, getting some love.

https://twitter.com/#!/gregcosell/statuses/186956479583105024

SteelMember
04-03-2012, 08:53 AM

Nice. They are keeping a list even for workouts, not just visits.

I believe you get (30) official out of state visits (bolded)

Colorado receiver Toney Clemons (4/18).

Alabama linebacker Jerrell Harris (4/2).

Virginia defensive end Cam Johnson (4/?).

West Virginia cornerback Keith Tandy (4/2).

Steeltreal
04-03-2012, 09:21 AM

Just cant see OLB being picked early with the contracts that were handed out the past couple years

LLT
04-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks, your assessment seems to be totally contrdictory to what popular conception is. I find it interesting that you think Chapman penetrates better than Ta'amu, everyone seems to think it's the other way around. I have to admit I did not think Chapman penetrated that well although he halts the point of attack better than any other defensive linemen I looked at. I just watched Ta'amu a few days ago and his inconsistencies worry me. His game seems to disappear at times. I think either player would be great to get our hands on, though.

I have read the same things that you are talking about and have to think that some of the writers are just cutting and pasting someone elses opinion without looking at tape. Chapman isnt the quickest off the snap but almost ALWAYS wins the leverage battle and either drives his opponant into the backfield ....or uses a fantastic swim move and an equally impressive rip that helps him disengage. He also does a pretty good job of locating the ball and will effectively stack and shed to get to the ballcarrier. Most of his traits are predicated on his incredible strength.

The big diference that I see in the two is that Chapman stays low, has a great initial hand punch and will get the leverage to push into the backfield where he can disengage...Ta'amu has got to learn to stay lower and use more power in his hands.

ShutDown24
04-04-2012, 12:47 AM
I have read the same things that you are talking about and have to think that some of the writers are just cutting and pasting someone elses opinion without looking at tape.

Yeah, it's frustrating when you run into this on forums though. It's one thing when people disagree with your take on a player, but a lot of times I get the feeling the player in question hasn't even been watched by both sides - which is annoying. I see users defend guys that they haven't even watched when they have nothing per say invested in the player other than he's "their guy". I know I've ranted on this before and what can you expect, it's the internet - but it drives me nuts. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue here at SU as it does on other formats.

Chapman isnt the quickest off the snap but almost ALWAYS wins the leverage battle and either drives his opponant into the backfield ....

Yeah, I did notice this. I guess I should have considered it penetration but in most cases when I saw him blow his man back he was still engaged, it wasn't one fell swoop of a move, so I guess I didn't really consider this penetrating, although, it is.

The big diference that I see in the two is that Chapman stays low, has a great initial hand punch and will get the leverage to push into the backfield where he can disengage...Ta'amu has got to learn to stay lower and use more power in his hands.

Yeah I was really expecting more from Ta'amu. He has moments of brilliance but I think he really needs to work on his consistency of quality play. I feel like when he is losing match-ups he makes a habit of it. Meaning, if the series starts off poorly for him, it generally doesn't improve much until he gets settled down on the sideline.

sgtrobo
04-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Ta'amu desperately needs conditioning and coaching. Bull strong, and when he's on his game he is ridiculously dominant. He just isn't on his game as often as one would hope. He also played with some injuries this season, so that apparently affected his conditioning as well.

Aussie_steeler
04-09-2012, 04:26 AM
I am still in the Chapman camp, based on the footage I have seen. The only issue is his injury, coupled with Casey's rehab.

If Chapman is drafted then McClendon and Hood are the 2 NT's for the first half of the season.

I would like to thing that Chapman is higher on the Steelers board than Ta'amu, but at this point in time I am only guessing ( like the rest of us)

With Derek Wolfe and Akiem Hicks being the only D line visits so far, both DE's, we will have to wait and see what the rest of the visits bring for us.

ShutDown24
04-09-2012, 09:52 AM
I would like to thing that Chapman is higher on the Steelers board than Ta'amu, but at this point in time I am only guessing ( like the rest of us)

With Derek Wolfe and Akiem Hicks being the only D line visits so far, both DE's, we will have to wait and see what the rest of the visits bring for us.

Totally agree. I think Chapman is the better player by a large margin.

And I can't wait to see who else we bring in. I feel like Keith Tandy is as close to a lock as you can get right now as far as a player who we will see in camp.

SteelMember
04-11-2012, 11:43 AM
The Steelers also had three draft prospects visit their facility on Tuesday (4/10):

Missouri tight end Michael Egnew, defensive tackle Akiem Hicks, who played college football at Regina in Canada, and linebacker Nick Perry of Southern California.

Texasteel
04-11-2012, 05:37 PM
The Steelers also had three draft prospects visit their facility on Tuesday (4/10):

Missouri tight end Michael Egnew, defensive tackle Akiem Hicks, who played college football at Regina in Canada, and linebacker Nick Perry of Southern California.

Nick Perry is an interesting name, considering he will likely be a 1st round pick.

Aussie_steeler
04-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Doesnt sound good for Harrison and / or Worilds if they are looking at OLB.

Or maybe is a current OLB moving inside???

Aussie_steeler
04-11-2012, 10:50 PM
i am not a user of twitter other than to check out draft prospects.

It reveals a lot about a player in the way that they conduct themselves.

Good - prospect 1
https://twitter.com/#!/zeus30hightower

Good - prospect 2
http://twitter.com/#!/334upshaw41

Bad - Prospect 3
http://twitter.com/#!/MrBig434

Read a few of the tweets and tell me who comes across as a racist homophobe?

Chidi29
04-11-2012, 10:54 PM
i am not a user of twitter other than to check out draft prospects.

It reveals a lot about a player in the way that they conduct themselves.

Good - prospect 1
https://twitter.com/#!/zeus30hightower

Good - prospect 2
http://twitter.com/#!/334upshaw41

Bad - Prospect 3
http://twitter.com/#!/MrBig434

Read a few of the tweets and tell me who comes across as a racist homophobe?

This made me think of Will Hill's Twitter. Just read that he's still trying to make an attempt to get into the league.

ShutDown24
04-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Doesnt sound good for Harrison and / or Worilds if they are looking at OLB.

Or maybe is a current OLB moving inside???

I've often thought about moving Harrison inside but I never thought the team would do it. I think Worilds could play inside in a Timmons-esque role, but we don't need another Timmons. We need a thumper.

LLT
04-12-2012, 03:34 AM
Nick Perry is an interesting name, considering he will likely be a 1st round pick.

Interesting thing about Nick Perry is that he is virtually the same size as James Farrior. Farrior was 6'2 243, and Perry was 6'2 250 (now 271) before purposefully adding weight prior to the combine so as to prove to scouts that he was a DE prospect....also notable that before coming to the Steelers, Timmons and Farrior where projected as OLBs with Timmons getting reps in college as a DE.

Perry is actually quicker than both Timmons and Farrior, having ran a 40 best of 4.55 (though his combine 40 was a respectable 4.64, which is equal to Timmons pro day 40.) He also had a 38.5 verticle and a 10-yard time of 1.57 seconds.

Not making any predictions...But Perry "could" play inside for us. I'd like to be a fly on the wall during his Steelers workout to see what kind of drills they run him through.

ShutDown24
04-12-2012, 03:46 AM
Interesting thing about Nick Perry is that he is virtually the same size as James Farrior. Farrior was 6'2 243, and Perry was 6'2 250 (now 271) before purposefully adding weight prior to the combine so as to prove to scouts that he was a DE prospect....also notable that before coming to the Steelers, Timmons and Farrior where projected as OLBs with Timmons getting reps in college as a DE.

Perry is actually quicker than both Timmons and Farrior, having ran a 40 best of 4.55 (though his combine 40 was a respectable 4.64, which is equal to Timmons pro day 40.) He also had a 38.5 verticle and a 10-yard time of 1.57 seconds.

Not making any predictions...But Perry "could" play inside for us. I'd like to be a fly on the wall during his Steelers workout to see what kind of drills they run him through.

Interesting points, LLT. I would like to know how receptive Perry would be to playing inside though. It's definitely not as glamorous a position as pass rusher.

LLT
04-12-2012, 04:29 AM
Interesting points, LLT. I would like to know how receptive Perry would be to playing inside though. It's definitely not as glamorous a position as pass rusher.

Its unlikely...but not out of the realm of possibility.....also keep in mind that we are now scheduled to bring Hightower in for a look.

ShutDown24
04-12-2012, 04:58 AM
also keep in mind that we are now scheduled to bring Hightower in for a look.

Hadn't even heard that yet, thanks for making my morning :tt02:

Texasteel
04-12-2012, 05:44 AM
Its unlikely...but not out of the realm of possibility.....also keep in mind that we are now scheduled to bring Hightower in for a look.

I've read that he is in Pittsburgh now. That would be an interesting argument, Hightower, or Perry.

stillers4me
04-12-2012, 06:29 AM
A.J. Owen‏@AyyyOhh
@Steelersdepot (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/Steelersdepot) @jimwexell (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/jimwexell) @evansilva (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/evansilva) Dont'a Hightower landed in Pittsburgh 2 hours ago via his twitter
Retweeted by James C Wexell (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/jimwexell)

LLT
04-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Courtney Upshaw is also in town.

suitanim
04-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Won't both these guys be selected around the mid-late first?

steelerdude15
04-12-2012, 10:45 AM

I don't see him becoming a Steeler. I guess it doesn't hurt to bring him in for a visit.

Texasteel
04-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Won't both these guys be selected around the mid-late first?

They both should go before they get to us. I think the team is covering its bases in case someone starts to tumble. How ever, it does look like we are concentrating on the LBer position in the 1st round.

SteelMember
04-12-2012, 11:42 AM
They both should go before they get to us. I think the team is covering its bases in case someone starts to tumble. How ever, it does look like we are concentrating on the LBer position in the 1st round.

You aren't kidding about LB'ers...

3 prospects visit
Three college players, all linebacker prospects, visited the Steelers Wednesday:
Mychal Kendricks of California, Cameron Johnson of Virginia and Olivier Vernon of Miami, Fla. Kendricks is an inside linebacker; the other two would be outside linebackers in a 3-4 and defensive ends in a 4-3.

Texasteel
04-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Along with Hightower today, the Steelers had in LaMichail James, and Amini Silaolu.

James is a RB out of Oregon who is 5'8", 185 / 190 lbs. He has ultra quick feet that matched with his speed would give DBs something to think about out the outside besides Wallas and Brown. Looked to me to be a tough tackle, and in tough enough to break an arm tackle. This is a player we do not have right now. Should be a 3rd round pick. I think he is the one RB that makes sense to the Steelers

Silatolu is a kid we have been talking about for some time and I think the only thing left to say is, NASTY, and MEAN! He has steadily moved himself up into the 2nd round.

With Hightower, Silatolu, and James, I wonder if they are interviewing their first 3 picks today.

Aussie_steeler
04-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Along with Hightower today, the Steelers had in LaMichail James, and Amini Silaolu.

James is a RB out of Oregon who is 5'8", 185 / 190 lbs. He has ultra quick feet that matched with his speed would give DBs something to think about out the outside besides Wallas and Brown. Looked to me to be a tough tackle, and in tough enough to break an arm tackle. This is a player we do not have right now. Should be a 3rd round pick. I think he is the one RB that makes sense to the Steelers

Silatolu is a kid we have been talking about for some time and I think the only thing left to say is, NASTY, and MEAN! He has steadily moved himself up into the 2nd round.

With Hightower, Silatolu, and James, I wonder if they are interviewing their first 3 picks today.

Todd Haley is definitely getting a toy this draft. I think that James fits that profile exactly.

At 24 I just dont see a OG prospect that warrants being picked. This has to be the reason that all the LB prospects are being brought in.

I am with you Tex -- If we could lock those 3 picks in both you and I would be happy.

1. Hightower / Upshaw / Perry ( Le Beau's Round)
2. Zeitler / Silatolu / Brooks / Massie ( Colberts O line round)
3. James / Pead/ Kirk Cousins ( Haleys Toy pick)

ShutDown24
04-12-2012, 06:06 PM

Looks solid to me. As much as I would rather see another position taken in the third, I wouldn't have much problem with James.

I've never really seen Pead play, anyone have some insight?

Texasteel
04-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Todd Haley is definitely getting a toy this draft. I think that James fits that profile exactly.

At 24 I just dont see a OG prospect that warrants being picked. This has to be the reason that all the LB prospects are being brought in.

I am with you Tex -- If we could lock those 3 picks in both you and I would be happy.

Pretty darn good names there Aussie. Add a DL in the 4th round and we have made the offence more dangerous and solidified the middle of the defense.

Steeltreal
04-12-2012, 07:47 PM

If the 1st rounder is a Linebacker, Id call it Colbert/Tomlin's round . I don't expect Lebeau back in 2013.

LLT
04-13-2012, 03:33 AM
Looks solid to me. As much as I would rather see another position taken in the third, I wouldn't have much problem with James.

5'10 200 lbs...ran a 4.47 forty at the combine (4.41 unoficial)...Was the Senior Bowl MVP where he impressed coaches and scouts with his straight line speed and his ability and wilingness to cut back into the grain for extra yards. Perfect third down back prospect who has good hands and is reported to be a very good blocker.

The only criticism I have of him in the little game footage I watched is that he runs a little high and sometimes doesnt square up his soulders when hitting the hole (which affects balance when hit by defenders) needs to work on squaring up and keeping pads low.

Draft Scout Snapshot: 2010: Second-team All-Big East … Pead rushed for 1,029 yards and six touchdowns on 157 attempts, despite missing almost two full games due to a bruised left knee … ranked third in the league in rushing, but led the conference for the second-straight year with his 6.6 yards per carry average, which also ranked him in the top-10 of all running backs nationally … his 26 receptions went for 190 yards and a touchdown … fumbled twice during the year, losing both. 2009: Saw action in all 13 games, making three starts … his 6.7 yards per carry average led all BIG EAST Conference players … gained 806 yards on 121 carries with nine touchdowns … posted four games of 75 yards rushing or more … also added 20 receptions for 201 yards and two touchdowns. 2008: True freshman played in seven games … finished the regular season with third most rushing yards on the team (194) on just 30 carries (6.7 per) … caught two passes for 11 yards … fumbled once, losing the ball.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83968&draftyear=2012&genpos=RB

ShutDown24
04-13-2012, 03:56 AM
5'10 200 lbs...ran a 4.47 forty at the combine (4.41 unoficial)...Was the Senior Bowl MVP where he impressed coaches and scouts with his straight line speed and his ability and wilingness to cut back into the grain for extra yards. Perfect third down back prospect who has good hands and is reported to be a very good blocker.

The only criticism I have of him in the little game footage I watched is that he runs a little high and sometimes doesnt square up his soulders when hitting the hole (which affects balance when hit by defenders) needs to work on squaring up and keeping pads low.

Sounds promising. But I still have my heart set on Baron Batch being that 3rd down/receiver type. Although at 5'10 200 this kid should be big enough to be more than that. I definitely wouldn't mind adding another back, especially a value - I just feel like the backfield is getting really crowded. If we bring in a Pead or James, who do we cut loose? Dwyer? Batch? I guess we could keep Baron on the PS? I've been impressed with Dwyer to a point... We could carry all four until Rashard is healthy (assuming he gets healthy) but then what?

LLT
04-13-2012, 04:55 AM
Sounds promising. But I still have my heart set on Baron Batch being that 3rd down/receiver type. Although at 5'10 200 this kid should be big enough to be more than that. I definitely wouldn't mind adding another back, especially a value - I just feel like the backfield is getting really crowded. If we bring in a Pead or James, who do we cut loose? Dwyer? Batch? I guess we could keep Baron on the PS? I've been impressed with Dwyer to a point... We could carry all four until Rashard is healthy (assuming he gets healthy) but then what?

I tend to agree with this. I would rather have a late round RB prospect come in as a 4th RB insurance policy until Mendy is able to come back. I really do believe that Baron is capable of being the 3rd down back that we thought he was going to be before his injury.

If we are going to pick up a back...I would like to see us go with a player like (and I hate to do this becuase Im convinced that we curse ourselves whenever we talk about "sleepers") Daryl Richardson of Abilene Christian. Virtually the same size as Pead....has ran as fast as a 4.3 but ran a 4.45 at his proday....and has a 40.5 vertical...and posesses good hands. He is the brother of Bengal RB Benard Scott.

ShutDown24
04-13-2012, 05:01 AM
I tend to agree with this. I would rather have a late round RB prospect come in as a 4th RB insurance policy until Mendy is able to come back. I really do believe that Baron is capable of being the 3rd down back that we thought he was going to be before his injury.

If we are going to pick up a back...I would like to see us go with a player like (and I hate to do this becuase Im convinced that we curse ourselves whenever we talk about "sleepers") Daryl Richardson of Abilene Christian. Virtually the same size as Pead....has ran as fast as a 4.3 but ran a 4.45 at his proday....and has a 40.5 vertical...and posesses good hands. He is the brother of Bengal RB Benard Scott.

Tomorrow this kid will be ranked at #22 on Mel Kiper's big board and will be projected as a day one pick :chuckle:

LLT
04-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Tomorrow this kid will be ranked at #22 on Mel Kiper's big board and will be projected as a day one pick :chuckle:

LOL...isnt that the truth.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-13-2012, 09:36 AM

I watched him vs Vandy in the bowl game and he had a big day. 149 yards rushing, 15 yards on 3 receptions. Think he returned some kicks too. Then he looked good the week of senior bowl and was game MVP. Pead is an all purpose back, kind of a poor man's Shady McCoy. Doesnt have the wiggle or cut ability of McCoy, but I think he would be a great addition.

I'd be OK with that, but really wonder how long it might take Silatolu to become NFL ready? The video on him shows a lot of lesser competition, so I dont think his mauling of 220lb guys is as impressive as some do. He shows the quickness, Knee bend and athleticism at the combine to be productive, but I think the transition from his usual level of competition to the NFL is going to be a big jump and he will need the right mindset to work thru that for a year or maybe 2.

The Duke
04-13-2012, 10:20 AM
I've seen much hype about Pead ever since the senior bowl

I expect him to be gone by the beginning of the 3rd round

Texasteel
04-13-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm not saying that they will or even should take James in the 3rd, but I understand where they might have an interest in him. He is more than a fast RB, he may also be the most elusive RB in this years draft. If he gets on the outside one on one with a tackler there is a pretty good chance he will make him miss, and one missed tackle, with his speed, could turn a 3 yard gain into a 23 yard gain. He is also a much tougher runner than he should be for his size. Like I said earlier, he is a RB that we do not posses on this team right now, and even when Mendy comes back could be more useful that any RB we have now, when you get past Mendy, and Redman. James in the 3rd round would not disappoint me at all.

Steeltreal
04-14-2012, 10:40 AM
BYU defensive tackle Hebron Fangupo (4/13).
Wayne State defensive back Jeremy Jones (4/13). (Anyone know where Wayne State is off the top of your head?)

Updated list : http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/29/2012-draft-visits-and-workout-tracker/

ShutDown24
04-14-2012, 10:44 AM
BYU defensive tackle Hebron Fangupo (4/13).
Wayne State defensive back Jeremy Jones (4/13). (Anyone know where Wayne State is off the top of your head?)

Updated list : http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/29/2012-draft-visits-and-workout-tracker/

Wouldn't mind Fangupo but it would have to be in the latter half of the draft.

No idea where Wayne State is without looking.

Steeltreal
04-14-2012, 10:55 AM
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #d4ab00, colspan: 12, align: center"]JEREMY JONES' CAREER STATISTICS

TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] Year
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] GP
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] Solo
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] Asst
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] Total
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] TFL
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] Int-Yds/TD
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] PBrUp
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] FR
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] FF

0.0-0
2-86/1

1.5-4
1-0/0
2-0

10.0-30
5-124/1
2-0

12.5-55
9-196/1
0-0

TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] Career
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] 46
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] 184
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] 107
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] 291
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] 24-89
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] 17-406/3
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] 23
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] 4-0
TableHeader[quote], bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"] 2

ShutDown24
04-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Speaking of runningbacks, Tauren Poole is a guy who I'm starting to like. He didn't have a huge career at Tennessee, but seems to have a nose for the goal line. And he plays faster than his 4.53 40 would indicate. He's around that same 5'10 200 mold that we've been discussing.

Steeltreal
04-15-2012, 01:52 AM
5th round WR - A.J. Jenkins
90 receptions for 1,276 yards and 8 TDS , four or more catches in all 13 games this year

Check out this monster game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O931W3wadpY

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Wouldn't mind Fangupo but it would have to be in the latter half of the draft.

No idea where Wayne State is without looking.

I'd take a look at Fangopu in the 4th or later. Some worry about his age because of the ususal BYU mission work, but Keisel and Hoke had rather long careers here. Hightower in the 1st, Osemele in the 2nd, Brandon Brooks in the 3rd, Fangopu in the 4th.....would be good at getting younger on the lines and ILB.

ShutDown24
04-15-2012, 06:13 PM
I'd take a look at Fangopu in the 4th or later. Some worry about his age because of the ususal BYU mission work, but Keisel and Hoke had rather long careers here. Hightower in the 1st, Osemele in the 2nd, Brandon Brooks in the 3rd, Fangopu in the 4th.....would be good at getting younger on the lines and ILB.

That doesn't sound too bad. But as I said, I wouldn't touch Fangupo until the fifth at the earliest. Jut my opinion of the player.

Do you really think Brooks makes it to round 3? I've been thinking he's more of a second round option at this point.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-16-2012, 10:09 AM
That doesn't sound too bad. But as I said, I wouldn't touch Fangupo until the fifth at the earliest. Jut my opinion of the player.

Do you really think Brooks makes it to round 3? I've been thinking he's more of a second round option at this point.

I think we all get enmoured by players and put a certain grade on them, but the fact is that with so much talent at the interior line, its a numbers game of what linemen get picked infront of him. Also, I think interior line is the least valued position in the draft.

I can see Decastro, Glenn, Konz, Zeitler, Silatolu, Osemele, Blake, Washington, Brewster, Ben Jones, Tony Bergstrom all drafted ahead of him. Being the 10th-15th interior lineman off the board could put him in that range. He didnt dominate the Shrine game and still wasnt deemed worthy of a combine invite.

Steeltreal
04-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Clemson defensive end Andre Branch (4/16)
Louisiana-Lafayette tight end Ladarius Green (4/16)
Georgia Tech receiver Stephen Hill (4/17) AKA Limas Hill?
Cincinnati defensive tackle John Hughes (4/16)
Michigan State receiver Keshawn Martin (4/16)
California offensive tackle Mitchell Schwartz (4/17)

updated list per :http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/29/2012-draft-visits-and-workout-tracker/

LLT
04-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Looking at who we have brought in so far...and what rounds the positions average out...Here are my thoughts and a new 7 round draft.

1st round: Sticking with ILB Donta Hightower, NT Jerel Worthy or OT Mike Adams. They should still be on the board and its our greatest positions of need. Hightower still gets the edge because He could start sooner than later and the ILB's behind him are light years behind him in talent. If all three are off the board, the FO wont reach....and they will draft a OLB for the future.

2nd Round: Almost a gimme that we will go with a O-lineman in this round. We have brought in 7 linemen with a late 1st to early third grade. I'm guessing Bobbie Massie or Mitchell Schwartz. Both can play OT on the right and left side and Schwartz also has the versatility to start out as a Guard like his brother.

3rd Round I'm not seeing much of a pattern in the third except at TE. However, my gut tells me that that we will probably go with the best OG left on the board unless there is a run on them. Otherwise I will say the best NT still on the board or TE Michael Egnew.

4th Round: WR T.Y. Hilton would be a great addition to the young money crew and a solid 4th round pick. Depending on how the draft pans out...also look for NT Hebron Hangupo to be looked at very hard.

5th Round: It gets trickier as it goes but I think that NT is still a need and Hebron Fangupo could be a likely pick in the 4th. If still on the board in the 5th round, we would pull the trigger. A DE is also a possiblity.

6th Round: If we dont go with a DE in the 4th or 5th, then we may go with one in the 6th since we brought in Derek Wolfe, Cam Johnson, and Akiem Hicks. Johnson will be gone and most likely Derek Wolfe will be also....Akiem Hicks would be be good value in this round.

7th Round: I would like to see us grab another OG in the 7th as a projection player....also could see us grabbing a D-back of some kind and an OLB is also possible.

Aussie_steeler
04-19-2012, 07:24 AM
My second to last mock. I reserve the right to change this one more time before next weeks draft

Round 1 Nick Perry OLB USC 6’3 270”
I ultimately think that Donta Hightower will be gone. If a team seriously wants him they have to move above #24 to get him. A team like the Ravens would do this to ensure they get stronger whilst also preventing a divisional foe from getting stronger.
James Harrison is on his last legs. Jason Worilds is not inspiring any confidence and might ultimately be the next Arnold Harrison. Chris Carter is an unknown. As we know the steelers D is only as good as the strength of its linebackers and the quality of the pass rush they generate.
Perry may well be the odd man out come draft day due. Is he a DE or OLB?? Someone always falls and I am guessing it is Perry.

Round 2 Kelechi Osemele OT Iowa State 6’6 333”
No matter which way I look at this round it has to be O line. Zeitler is gone. Massie has loads of potential but his twitter comments really scare me about his maturity. It is too early for Schwartz, Brooks is a bit too bulky and unknown for my liking. Silatolu is the only other real prospect and I thing he will be gone. It may be a reach but a big O line body is a must in this round. Plus every pick cannot come from the official visit list.

Round 3 Chris Rainey RB Florida 5’9 180”
Todd Haley is going to get a toy somewhere in the draft. I say it is early and I say it is likely going to be a Dexter McCluster type back. The other thing to factor in here is that Rainey who lived with the Pouncey’s when he went to High School in Florida. We know that the Maurkice had some influence in the Gilbert pick. ( I know it is a stretch but sometimes all we have is a hunch as we aren’t privy to all the inside info). Rainey is quick, elusive and possesses good hands out of the backfield. He also has slot receiver potential.

Round 4 Alameda Ta’amu DT Washington 6’3 340”
A NT is a must somewhere in this draft. McClendon looks like he has the backing of the steelers to at least be Chris Hoke’s replacement. With Casey starting the season injured the week 1 NT is either McClendon or Hood. If the steelers are to remain true to their identity they need to plug the middle. After missing out on Hightower they will need to do the next best thing and plug the middle. I would love for Josh Chapman to be here but he is likely to be gone by the end of the second round IMO.

Round 5 Lucas Nix OG Pitt 6’5” 320”
No nonsense guard that will work well in the trenches. Not too different to Keith Williams 2011 draft pick from Nebraska. The interior O line is in need of competition and Nix is well known and a likely fit for the steelers.

Round 6 Markus Kuhn DE NC state 6’5 299”
Extremely raw and has plenty of upside. I initially watched film of NC state to see what the deal with JR Sweezy was. I couldn’t help but notice the guy beside him that outplayed him all day. Kuhn looked stronger, faster, more penetrating and ultimately more disruptive than his teammate who was getting better reviews. He is a young Aaron Smith in the making. Mark my words.

Round 7a Toney Clemons WR Colarado 6’2 210” 4.43 forty
He has as already been in for a visit. I am treating the three 7th round picks as UDFA picks and this guy meets the criteria for possibly replacing Mike Wallace. Ty Hilton would have been my preference in the 3rd or 4th round but I am figuring that the steelers miss him and the next likely WR burner in my view is Clemons. Jordan White was my 7th round WR pimp pick but I am reluctant to change my mind and go with Clemons. This pick may well come back to haunt me.

Round 7b Buddy Jackson CB Pitt 6’0 190”
Jackson didn’t play much at Pitt other than as an explosive KR and as a nickel / dime package CB. He has explosive numbers courtesy of his pro day ( 4.26 & 4.29 forty and 11’9’” broad jump). This is a UDFA type player that may well attract attention from other teams. Lock him up at the back end of the draft to ensure that he at least gets to training camp. He is very raw but plenty of potential.

Round 7c Jerrell Harris LB Alabama 6’2 239”
If you cant get Donta Hightower then why not get his understudy. Harris was kept off the field primarily by the quality of the LB crew at Bama. Has been in for a visit, and I am sure it was more than to get an opinion on Hightower. I don’t see the steelers going ILB in the first due to circumstance and also draft philosophy. Foote and Sylvester sit in line for Farriors spot.

Round 7d Austin Davis QB Sth Miss 6’2 216”
This guy has erased most of Brett Favres records from the books at Southern Miss. Looking for a developmental QB and this guy seems like a gamer. It is either a QB or a Kicker. If it is a kicker then give me Carson Wiggs from Purdue.

Loads of potential UDFA's have already been screened in the interview process.
Likely UDFA's would likely include:
CB - Keith Tandy
OG - Kelvin Beachum
WR - Keyshawn Martin
NT - John Hughes

SteelMember
04-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Last 5 potential draft choices visit Steelers

The player who could be the Steelers' No. 1 pick in the NFL draft -- Memphis nose tackle Dontari Poe -- is among five players visiting the team today.

It is the last day draft prospects can meet with NFL teams.

Also visiting the Steelers are tight end Adrien Robinson of Cincinnati, offensive lineman Kelvin Beachum of Southern Methodist and wide receivers Toney Clemons of Colorado and Gregory Childs of Arkansas. Clemons played at Valley High School.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/last-5-potential-draft-choices-visit-steelers-631929/

Steeltreal
04-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Ta'amu can go as early as #33 to the Rams imo. Why the drop?

Aussie_steeler
04-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Ta'amu can go as early as #33 to the Rams imo. Why the drop?

I can see at least 9 to 10 DT's going before Ta'amu.

3-4 NT's such as Poe, Worthy, Chapman, Thompson and Martin should go before him. And there are not that many 3-4 teams that need a NT as a major priority.

I know he is ranked #88 by NFLdraftscout but look at draft history. Pure NT's tend to slide after the first 3 to 4 high picks.

Personally I would love to see Chapman as the pick but i just dont see him lasting to the 3rd round. ( the Saban influence is going to really help him go early)

Steeltreal
04-19-2012, 08:06 PM

3-4 NT's such as Poe, Worthy, Chapman, Thompson and Martin should go before him. And there are not that many 3-4 teams that need a NT as a major priority.

I know he is ranked #88 by NFLdraftscout but look at draft history. Pure NT's tend to slide after the first 3 to 4 high picks.

Personally I would love to see Chapman as the pick but i just dont see him lasting to the 3rd round. ( the Saban influence is going to really help him go early)

Even if he were the #10 rated DT, thats still a 2nd round grade. Any DT in the 3rd round, Mike Martin, Chapman, or Ta'amu would be a no brainer over a player like Rainey.

Haley being the "Head CHief" in KC, rather than year 1 O.C. here should not influence Colberts draft. If he needs toys, look no farther than Sanders, Brown, and Wallace.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-20-2012, 10:24 AM

My guy Pauline has Ta'amu ranked as the #8 DT in the draft and a probable 2nd rounder. I dont see Martin, Thompson, Worthy as NT's, but rather 1-gap defenders in a 4-3. (I know that sparks debate, but just my opinion). I really am not sure why many had Ta'amu as a top 20 pick in september and now are saying that he is a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I dont think he makes it to the 3rd round.

Analysis: Ta'amu has been a tremendous force on the Washington defensive line the past three seasons. He offers a large amount of upside and is one of the better pure nose tackles in this year's draft. Ta'amu can be an instant starter and productive player at the next level if he elevates his game and consistently plays to his ability.

Projection: 2nd

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/80671.html#ixzz1savLTu63

Devilsdancefloor
04-20-2012, 11:06 PM
1. OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford 6-5 312
2. OG Brandon Brooks, Miami (OH) 6-5 346
3. NT Mike Martin Michigan 6-1 300
4. DE Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati 6-5 295
5. LB Miles Burris San Diego State 6-2 240
6 QB Kellen Moore Boise St
7. TE Chase Ford, Miami 6-7 255
7. ILB Shawn Loiseau, Merrimack 6-0 244
7. FS Blake Gideon, Texas 6-0 208
7. OT Joe Long, Wayne St 6-6 308

well there it is for me at this time i have been really busy the past few months, but i think i will revist this mock in a few days to see if it looks like i was dropped on my head or not.

The Duke
04-21-2012, 02:15 PM
1. Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin
-in an ideal world, we would trade down and get some picks then draft him. But he could still be drafted here and fill a huge hole

2. Josh Chapman NT Alabama
-The NT we have been missing. Again with a trade would get us in better position to snag him

3. Tank Carder ILB NC State/ Audie Cole ILB NC State
-I'm kinda off the Hightower bus. Cole or Carder could certainly learn 1-2 years behind Foote

4. Lucas Nix OG Pittsburgh
- Nix may not be needed with Zeitler in the mix, but we do need more than one OL, and can play tackle....

5. Greg Childs WR Arkansas
-I just hope we don't take a receiver earlier than here. Wallace could be gone in 2013 and we need another burner

6. Aaron Henry FS Wisconsin
- Nothing like position flexibility at corner and safety. Good balls skills and great in run support

7. Kevin Koger TE M.State/Brad Smelley TE Alabama
--Could use another blocking TE

7. Carson Wiggs K Purdue/Derek Dimke K Ilinois
-We NEED some competition for Sushi

7. Kellen Moore QB Boise
-Someone will give him a chance, why not us?

7. Julian Miller OLB WVU
-We can't have a draft without an OLB :)

I was winging it by the end with so many 7 round picks, but I would be very happy with the first four picks, and even the 5th

Really wanted to include Fangupo somewhere as he's my favorite NT in this draft. Still hope we get him...

ShutDown24
04-22-2012, 08:06 AM
1. OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford 6-5 312
2. OG Brandon Brooks, Miami (OH) 6-5 346
3. NT Mike Martin Michigan 6-1 300
4. DE Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati 6-5 295
5. LB Miles Burris San Diego State 6-2 240
6 QB Kellen Moore Boise St
7. TE Chase Ford, Miami 6-7 255
7. ILB Shawn Loiseau, Merrimack 6-0 244
7. FS Blake Gideon, Texas 6-0 208
7. OT Joe Long, Wayne St 6-6 308

well there it is for me at this time i have been really busy the past few months, but i think i will revist this mock in a few days to see if it looks like i was dropped on my head or not.

Like it a lot. I was targeting Martin for us at 24 in my latest as well but I ended up slotting him to the Browns. If we did take Martin & Brooks, I wouldn't want to hear another word about our damn offensive line for the next ten years :chuckle:

ShutDown24
04-22-2012, 08:09 AM
1. Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin
-in an ideal world, we would trade down and get some picks then draft him. But he could still be drafted here and fill a huge hole

2. Josh Chapman NT Alabama
-The NT we have been missing. Again with a trade would get us in better position to snag him

3. Tank Carder ILB NC State/ Audie Cole ILB NC State
-I'm kinda off the Hightower bus. Cole or Carder could certainly learn 1-2 years behind Foote

4. Lucas Nix OG Pittsburgh
- Nix may not be needed with Zeitler in the mix, but we do need more than one OL, and can play tackle....

5. Greg Childs WR Arkansas
-I just hope we don't take a receiver earlier than here. Wallace could be gone in 2013 and we need another burner

6. Aaron Henry FS Wisconsin
- Nothing like position flexibility at corner and safety. Good balls skills and great in run support

7. Kevin Koger TE M.State/Brad Smelley TE Alabama
--Could use another blocking TE

7. Carson Wiggs K Purdue/Derek Dimke K Ilinois
-We NEED some competition for Sushi

7. Kellen Moore QB Boise
-Someone will give him a chance, why not us?

7. Julian Miller OLB WVU
-We can't have a draft without an OLB :)

I was winging it by the end with so many 7 round picks, but I would be very happy with the first four picks, and even the 5th

Really wanted to include Fangupo somewhere as he's my favorite NT in this draft. Still hope we get him...

Definitely feel like Zeitler is a bit of a reach, but you addressed that. I don't think we get Chapman without trading up in the second. But I like the selections overall. Definitely addresses needs with players who, besides Chapman (IMO), should be there in the rounds you allotted them. I like the Nix & Childs picks. I think Nix has the arrow pointing down right now so snagging him late in the fourth shouldn't be a problem.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2012, 09:24 AM
I am going to make a prediction that Chapman will not be drafted until the 3rd round or later. Just a hunch here.

Aussie_steeler
04-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Not a bad result.

Took some heat on Ta'amu in the 4th. Lucky guess at the end of the day

Steeltreal
04-28-2012, 09:32 PM
In the end Im glad we got him 6th rounder not a bad price when we had 4 7's. Can I call you D.K.?

Aussie_steeler
04-29-2012, 03:22 PM
In the end Im glad we got him 6th rounder not a bad price when we had 4 7's. Can I call you D.K.?

Dont know if Donkey Kong really fits?

At work I quiet often get referred to by the monniker Dumb K*nt

I always respond to my wife with Dont Know

And my friends sometimes reckon I am a bit of a D**K

But if it makes you happy I will run with it

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Not a bad result.

Took some heat on Ta'amu in the 4th. Lucky guess at the end of the day

Yeah, good guess. I always had Ta'amu ranked higher than Chapman and was really surprised with the amount of teams that needed NT, they would last to the 4th. Am happy we traded up to get him in the 4th though.

Great draft!! even if we didnt get my guy James Micahel Johnson in the 3rd. He went to the Clowns in the 4th.

Texasteel
04-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Yeah, good guess. I always had Ta'amu ranked higher than Chapman and was really surprised with the amount of teams that needed NT, they would last to the 4th. Am happy we traded up to get him in the 4th though.

Great draft!! even if we didnt get my guy James Micahel Johnson in the 3rd. He went to the Clowns in the 4th.

I figured we might get him in the 3rd, but not the 4th, even trading up. I was disappointed we didn't take Johnson as well, we sure had enough chances.