PDA

View Full Version : Your confidence level right now.

polamalubeast
09-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Do you think it's just a bad game and the steelers are going to have a good season and you think the Steelers will have a difficult season?

What do you think of the team right now.I know he just had a horrible game, but what is your confidence level now?

Do you think the Steelers will win the next 2 game against the Seahawks and the Colts?

Count Steeler
09-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Confidence has definitely waned. Hoping this was just one of those days. We will need to see the next 3-4 games to see what these guys are made of. The coaching staff and all the players need to get their acts together, or Stairway to Seven won't be for another 4-5 years.

Mach1
09-11-2011, 05:37 PM
IF they lose to the suckhawks then panic may set in.

polamalubeast
09-11-2011, 05:39 PM
IF they lose to the suckhawks then panic may set it.

agree

Burghfan58
09-11-2011, 05:42 PM
They looked pathetic in the first preseason game and Tomlin got them back on track. Now that the games count let's see if he can do the same.

Edman
09-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Confidence certainly took a big hit. I understand the Ravens had a lot to prove, but to not be competitive and be complete and totally unprepared and self-destructive is alarming. If we see the same thing against Shitattle at home next week. There's something seriously wrong with this team. Big Time.

X-Terminator
09-11-2011, 05:48 PM
For me, they can't even struggle to beat Seattle next week. They need to beat them and the Colts soundly for me to regain some of the confidence that I've lost.

86WARD
09-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I saw a lot to be addresses and concerned about if it continues...

Terrell Suggs...how do you not account for him time and time again?

Pass defense picked up where it left off in the Super Bowl.

OLine...typical OLine.

Can't put all the blame in Ben for the fumbles and INTs, but he's gotta be smarter with the ball.

SteelerEmpire
09-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Like Tony Dungy said for these types of things: your looking for a "pattern". One game is too early to tell. If we see any signs of struggle against weaker teams (weaker than the Ravens) like the Seahawks and Colts, I say we don't even make the playoffs and we don the crown of SB hangover. And man, I don't want to go through that crap again this year.
So, my confidence level is at around a "shaky" 8.5 out of 10. With a 10 being right before the game today.

BlastFurnace
09-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Quite simply, the Steelers need to have a "us against the world" mentality to play well. With all that Tommy Gun offense talk going on before today, this team just got fed a dose of humble pie that they better take seriously.

Steeldude
09-11-2011, 06:03 PM
it's the same. i expected a poor O-line, an old D-line, a weakened harrison, a poor secondary and a lethargic effort. i didn't expect that many TOs.

the ravens had no problem moving the ball in the air or on the ground. regardless of the amount of TOs, the steelers were manhandled easily. another post-SB letdown? we'll have to wait a few more games.

GBMelBlount
09-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I think it was a combination of overconfidence & apathy.

Baltimore is a very good team and was 110% ready to play. We weren't.

The lack of protection on offense and the lack of pressure on D was concerning but it is only one game.

pepsyman1
09-11-2011, 06:06 PM
The game was amazingly disappointing on so many fronts. It was nice to see Ben with some quick slant throws off the short drops and Sepulveda punted big on the few he had, but other than that they really looked like shit. Other than Ike, the secondary looked slow out and outmanned. The pass rush was non existent and the offensive line looked bad it was frightening. I'm hoping it's just a bad game and Tomlin brings them back next week. The defense surely didn't look like team that had Mike Vick running for his life.

steelpride12
09-11-2011, 06:08 PM
I really think the Seahags are in for a beating next week. Tomlin will rip them apart all practice long this week and you know as well as I do they must win this one at home and blow them out. The hawks are losing to Niners right now and T Jackson is no Aaron Rodgers so I think we do fare a strong chance of winning.

polamalubeast
09-11-2011, 06:13 PM
it's the same.

You are never happy. You never say enough positive, even when the Steelers won.You should change teams if you are not happy.

I read you since 5 years and it looks like we're the Detroit Lions(2001-2008).

polamalubeast
09-11-2011, 06:19 PM
The team is not bad as today.They had a lot of panic after the game against the Patriots last year and the Steelers after playing very well with a record of 8-2.

The only thing I'm concerned, it is the defense against the pass.

Devilsdancefloor
09-11-2011, 06:32 PM
My daughter ask me if i have seen them play so bad before i had to think and said not in a long time. to be honest ben looked like mark malone today. i am hoping that this isnt another 2006 to be honest, but i beleive not matter what. I am hoping coach lake can get into bmac head a bit if not i want to see lewis cant be any worse. I am gonna chaulk this game up to bad game by all and thin 15-1 will be great record.

polamalubeast
09-11-2011, 06:49 PM
after the patriots game last year

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/4198-Your-thoughts

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/4182-Its-starting-to-look-like-last-year-all-over-again.....

steelerdude15
09-11-2011, 06:54 PM
I'd say it's a little too early to say I'm worried. We all knew that one day Joe would beat Ben. The Steelers played horrible today. They were outplayed and the turnovers put a dagger in it. Our big name players were mostly quiet. The only player who I feel really played great was Mikey. If we don't win the next two games, I'll start to be worried. I hope this ass kicking gets to them and I hope Mike rips them a new one. I won't give up faith on this team, even if they go 0-16. Mike will get them fired up and I hope we smash their faces in the next time we play them.

BigNastyDefense
09-11-2011, 07:16 PM
First, it's too early to panic. The Baltimore Ravens are a very good team who's goal all offseason was to beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in this game. To Baltimore, this was their Super Bowl. They wanted nothing more than to whoop us with Roethlisberger in the lineup.

Like Tomlin said, they don't hand out Lombardi Trophies in week one.

However, there were some glaring problems today.

Our secondary looks worse that it did last year. Save Ike Taylor, and they all played like garbage. Troy Polamalu got beat by a TE from what I have been told. BMac got burned and Gay can't cover a wet paper bag.

What makes this worse is that the front seven couldn't get any pressure until the fourth quarter. One thing that helps our poor secondary is we normally get pressure on the QB. It was really nonexistent today. It's too easy to pick us apart if they have time to sit back and make the throws.

Then, we have our offensive line. Save Pouncey, the rest if the line would look better if they were turnstiles. This has been a problem for the Steelers for years, but they don't fix it with more that a bubble gum and duct tape. This offense isn't going to be what it can if Ben doesn't have time to make the plays and if holes aren't opened for Mendenhall.

Hopefully this game was just one bad game where the other team just simply wanted it more and next week the Steelers come out and kick Seattle's ass.

But if this is how the Steelers play against good teams, we won't make it out of the first round of the playoffs (if we get there).

The Duke
09-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Pretty much the same

I'm sure this does not deflate the steelers, so it won't deflate me either

But yeah, if next week I see any of the laziness I saw today from any player, then I'll be worried

steelreserve
09-11-2011, 07:29 PM
The defense looked old, slow and sloppy, and that honestly has me worried. Maybe that's just the result of having a bad game, not the cause of the bad game. If it was the cause, I'll be freaked out, but we won't find that out for another couple games at least.

I mean, the offense looked completely out of sync as well, but at least I'm pretty confident that doesn't have to do with age, injury or a shortage of talent in certain spots (*cough*DB*cough*)

polamalubeast
09-11-2011, 07:32 PM
In 2010, the Steelers were very good to stop the run, but today its been a disaster.Even if the Steelers would not have had seven turnovers, they would have lost the game.6 of 7 turnovers was in 2nd half.

It was 21-7 in the first half and it is very difficult to win when you have a bad start. It was almost impossible for the Steelers win another game against the Ravens after having to fall behind 21-7.It was a miracle that the Steelers win this game against the Ravens in the playoffs after having had a bad start!

steel striker
09-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm not pushing any panic here but, that was as bad as the 2006 games against the rats. Ben running for his life and, ravens doing whatever they wanted to on offense. I'm not going to get worried yet ask me after week four. Let's see how they respond next week.

GoSlash27
09-11-2011, 07:37 PM
"Panic" does not set in on this team. We lose, and that just gives us an opportunity to see where we need work. Obviously we need work everywhere :D

GBMelBlount
09-11-2011, 07:49 PM
it's the same. i expected a poor O-line, an old D-line, a weakened harrison, a poor secondary and a lethargic effort. i didn't expect that many TOs.

the ravens had no problem moving the ball in the air or on the ground. regardless of the amount of TOs, the steelers were manhandled easily. another post-SB letdown? we'll have to wait a few more games.

All great points steeldude.

You just have to remember to randomly insert emoticons to make your posts seem more upbeat.

Not picking on you. I would say this to Ron Paul and Eeyor too.

So I fixed it for you:

it's the same. :peace: i expected a poor O-line, an old D-line, a weakened harrison, a poor secondary and a lethargic effort. :tt02: i didn't expect that many TOs. :huh:

the ravens had no problem moving the ball in the air or on the ground. :nod: regardless of the amount of TOs, the steelers were manhandled easily. :horror: another post-SB letdown? we'll have to wait a few more games. :tt03:

:thumbsup:

Polamalu Princess
09-11-2011, 08:19 PM
100% - no problem here - I still have the faith. It was one game...just one with a team that had to give us a needed kick in the butt. We shall prevail.

Nadroj 20
09-11-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm not worried.

This was the ravens folks, not some bottom feeder. They caused us to play poorly just as much as we sucked it up ourselves. There o-line dominated us and they simply out played us and we weren't doing any favors to ourselves with decision making and poor play as well.

So I think it was just one of those days and Tomlin and the gang will get us back on track for next weekends game. If they struggle against the Seahawks then I may begin to worry because they aren't near as good as the Ravens. In other words playing poorly against a good team may not indicate being a tough year.

Burghfan58
09-11-2011, 09:18 PM
No pressure on Flacco the entire game. That has to change because the secondary is average at best.

Godfather
09-11-2011, 09:29 PM
I came into the game thinking we were a Super Bowl contender.

After what I saw, I think we can still have a good season but I'm not sure we can win the Lombardi. The dink and dunking reminded me of 2002 We did make the playoffs that year and I think we can make it this year--Ben played like crap which isn't typical, and we didn't stop the run. But B-Mac getting torched and the O-line playing badly are both things we're used to seeing.

JayC
09-11-2011, 09:41 PM
on a scale of 1-10 my confidence is about a 3. before the game my only big worry was our cbs and i was very confident we would win.

now im wondering if woodley was worth the money, if james will ever be right again, if troy has lost a step or was it just a terrible game, what was ben thinking, how do we win with gay and mcfadden at cb, is our pass protection going to be that bad all year, and the list goes on. i think i'll try to ignore football for the next 6 days.

polamalubeast
09-11-2011, 09:45 PM
http://www.sportsgrindent.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/paperbagfan.jpg

Shoes
09-11-2011, 09:46 PM
on a scale of 1-10 my confidence is about a 3. before the game my only big worry was our cbs and i was very confident we would win.

now im wondering if woodley was worth the money, if james will ever be right again, if troy has lost a step or was it just a terrible game, what was ben thinking, how do we win with gay and mcfadden at cb

I think it was a bad game for most of the guys except for Bmac and Gay.....there was a news report that they were still at M&T Field chasing ghosts. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
09-11-2011, 09:48 PM

now im wondering if woodley was worth the money, if james will ever be right again, if troy has lost a step or was it just a terrible game, what was ben thinking, how do we win with gay and mcfadden at cb, is our pass protection going to be that bad all year, and the list goes on. i think i'll try to ignore football for the next 6 days.

That is what I am feeling. Plus Superbowl losers always have disappointing seasons the following year and the steelers always perform poorly the year after going to the Superbowl.

st33lersguy
09-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Does anyone know how Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen are progressing?

steelerdude15
09-11-2011, 10:10 PM
There is one more thing I want to say about today and that's Isoroku Yamamoto's famous quote: "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." Just think about that quote.

The Duke
09-11-2011, 10:19 PM
There is one more thing I want to say about today and that's Isoroku Yamamoto's famous quote: "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." Just think about that quote.

All I'm picturing is a pissed James Harrison

Oh I see!

Chidi29
09-11-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm fine. Not happy with today, obviously, and the tears just stopped flowing, but it's one game.

Remember how Houston beat Indy last year and everyone got on the bandwagon? Then they go 7-8 the rest of the way. Let's not be like the media and have knee jerk reactions.

Chidi29
09-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Does anyone know how Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen are progressing?

Cortez was active today. Curtis was not.

Steeldude
09-11-2011, 10:49 PM
You are never happy. You never say enough positive, even when the Steelers won.You should change teams if you are not happy.

I read you since 5 years and it looks like we're the Detroit Lions(2001-2008).

if my confidence level is the same wouldn't that be a positive thing? actually i am always happy. if you don't like my posts then ignore them. i didn't realize there was a quota to meet for posting positive things. let me try, BR wasn't hurt after the game :thumbsup: it's just one game no need to fix anything because it was obvious it's just a fluke. the O-line played great and the D-line is as young as ever. it's only 7 TOs, no big deal. i think tomlin should only focus on what they did right. he shouldn't try to correct any negative issues in the way the steelers played. i am sure tomlin is overjoyed with the amount of positives in this game. i can't think of one negative.

i get it, you think the steelers play great each week. sorry, but i am a realist. i also don't settle for second best. it's great if you do, but we are not all you.

are you saying the steelers have a young D-line, good O-line, good secondary and were very energetic? i guess we watched two different games.

btw, i am disappointed in woodley. he gets his big contract and didn't earn it. the guy should be all over the field, but i am sure fans will have an excuse for him. i think it will be the "he was in coverage a lot" excuse...lol.

Craic
09-11-2011, 11:26 PM
My confidence level? Not changed much.

Don't forget. This is the Raven's SB every year. This is the game they gear up for like none other. As for how we'll be? Ask me in a month when we have 4 games under our belt. Until then, there's no reason to gain or lose any confidence.

After all, until a few seasons ago, The best way to tell that the Steelers would be in the playoffs, is if they went 3-3 in the first six games. Any more than three wins in the first six games and they'd start losing.

Steeldude
09-11-2011, 11:48 PM
All great points steeldude.

You just have to remember to randomly insert emoticons to make your posts seem more upbeat.

Not picking on you. I would say this to Ron Paul and Eeyor too.

So I fixed it for you:

:thumbsup:

thank you..lol

tube517
09-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Way too early for the moaning and groaning. We were due for a butt kicking from the Ravens. They hadn't beaten us this bad since 2006. I would take a butt kicking every 5 years instead of every year. It won't happen often and I doubt this will be how they play the next time they meet in Heinz Field. Yes, we sucked but there is no way you can expect us to go 16-0 when Sweed is not in there. :chuckle:

Steeldude
09-11-2011, 11:52 PM
It was almost impossible for the Steelers win another game against the Ravens after having to fall behind 21-7.

whoa, you are so negative. perhaps you should cheer on another team. the steelers played awesome. there isn't a single area that needs fixing. it had to have been the refs. how else could anyone beat such a fired up team? they better sign that mcfadden to a long deal. i don't where the secondary would be without him. the guy is woodson to power of 10

NCSteeler
09-12-2011, 02:23 AM
I think my confidence has slipped after today, but it was likely over inflated anyhow. My current worry is that they took a physical beating that will make next weeks game harder than it should be. If they are physically feeling well this week, Seatle should be very scared. The boys should use them as a punching bag to take out their frustrations and if they don't confidence will be down.

XxKnightxX
09-12-2011, 07:11 AM
I dont think my confidence has changed, but this game hurt our egos. It was just so embarrasing to get so utterly dominated by your rivals, especially when they knew they wanted every piece of them. Whatever the nightmare is over. On to week 2. Well bounce back without a problem. What made me mad yet laugh is how Harbaugh Flacco and Suggs were jumping around the sidelines like they won the Superbowl. And after those bush league moves of going for 2 and on 4th down. I wont forget that. I sure as hell hope the Steelers dont either.

zulater
09-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Medium rare. :lol: It's a long season, they can and will rebound.

86WARD
09-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Put a dent in it, but not too bad. I'm looking at anything that might be consistent. The pass defense is a major concern...picked up right where the Super Bowl left off...

GodfatherofSoul
09-12-2011, 10:14 AM
After about a day, I've had time to think clearly. Wow, never been so pissed after a loss including the Pats postseason games. But, this is one game that meant A LOT to the Ravens. This reminds me a bit of the Cowher days when the team would struggle the first few games. I can only assume that our defensive scheme is so complicated that it's taking a while to gel without a full training season.

Dino 6 Rings
09-12-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm confident that this team can Beat any Team in the NFL

100% Confident of that.

steelpride12
09-12-2011, 10:51 AM
I think it hurts most now because we just came off a SB loss and that obviously will sting for awhile and coming back the next season with high hopes and having one of the worst games possible surely doesn't help. This team is a sleeping giant and during the Rats game they were asleep. I know Tomlin and the players won't let this happen again and if anything I am more confident than ever that we will stop at nothing and give no remorse against the Seahags and the rest of the teams on our schedule.

Lambert_Loonie
09-12-2011, 11:05 AM
My confidence didn't take that big a hit but it sure knocked off the black and gold tinted glasses I had on. :P

Deep down I wasn't 110% convinced that the Steelers would win yesterday; whenever Pittsburgh plays Baltimore I always think in the back of my mind "They're going to get us some day soon. This wave of good fortune won't last forever." With the way we ended Baltimore's season last year, they had A LOT of reasons to be extra-motivated.

Going to their house when we ended their season last year, with Pittsburgh going 7-0 with Big Ben as the starting quarterback since 2007, and considering the lockout... I don't want to say "trap game" but it's awful hard not to.

As for the season itself, even though I predicted the Steelers to win it all I'm not going to be all that surprised if they wind up going 9-7, 10-6 and vying for a wild card at the end of the year. With their cornerbacks and offensive line I just can't see them going to the Super Bowl, let alone winning it, this year (though I would LOVE to be wrong).

GutterflowerSteel
09-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Confidence was a tad shaken during and after the game - but I trust Coach T to reignite the team & put them in position to win next week & beyond :tt02:

XxKnightxX
09-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Confidence was a tad shaken during and after the game - but I trust Coach T to reignite the team & put them in position to win next week & beyond :tt02:

Just as long as he doesnt promise to "Unleash Hell" on the SeaHawks, oh please Lord dont lol.

zulater
09-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Just as long as he doesnt promise to "Unleash Hell" on the SeaHawks, oh please Lord dont lol.

:rofl2:

BlastFurnace
09-12-2011, 03:41 PM
This team has a lot to prove...not to the fans, but to themselves. They just got their butts kicked by their biggest rival. Surely, a twinge of doubt has to have creeped in their minds as to how good they are...atleast we better hope so.

GutterflowerSteel
09-12-2011, 04:45 PM
:nono:

Shhhhhhh! :nono: I don't wanna hear that phrase again! lol

steelpinstripe87
09-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Guys...it was the FIRST GAME. If we don't beat the Seahawks and the Colts, then I'll worry.

O'Malley
09-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Guys...it was the FIRST GAME. If we don't beat the Seahawks and the Colts, then I'll worry.

Agreed.... But I am a little down on the O Line...

SteelerEmpire
09-12-2011, 07:43 PM

No. Tomlin's gonna make "the appropriate response"... I feel much better knowing that...

st33lersguy
09-12-2011, 09:13 PM
In the pass defense I saw the same asenine defensive gameplan with the same crappy CBs from last year that got the Steeles carved by every solid QB the Steelers played last year and yesterday got carved up by an average QB in Joe Flacco. It has become perfectly clear that the prevent defense LeBeau has been running recently has failed and if he continues this strategy the Steelers will get torched by every half decent QB in the league. Maybe the Steelers should start finding a decent corner to play opposite Ike Taylor instead of keeping the same crappy corners that can't cover

Count Steeler
09-12-2011, 09:24 PM
LeBeau has to start reacting to what the offenses are doing. The lack of adjustments are starting to worry me. If they can't figure out how to get pressure on the QB, we are in for a long tough season. Still hoping this was a one game aberration, but it looks like this defense is too easily exploited, as is.

steel9guy
09-12-2011, 11:50 PM
I honestly think it was just a case of the first game. Remember in 03' when we destroyed the ratbirds in week 1 and went on to finish 5-10 after that game? Remember what team won the division that year? Not us but the rats. They needed this game more than we did and I know this was a huge rivalry game and it hurts like crap but if we take care of business on our end from here on out we will be fine. We will beat them as usual in the critical game in November.

Now there is one thing that concerns me. The offensive line in 08' and 10' sucked too but we made it to the Superbowl in both years. We can survive that I believe and they still have 15 games to gel as a unit. The biggest concern I have is our Defense. I don't think its the age factor but rather the style of Defense we play. The jets make the 3-4 effective against the pass. Our zone schemes seem to be getting exploited against everybody now. In 08' for some reason we did really good with our pass defense. I just think Dick Lebeau will come up with something new in that scheme that will work for us. It's now or never for the Steelers to get it right with the pass Defense. Dick Lebeau will get this fixed. I have a feeling something new and drastic will be done with our Defense to make us relevant in the passing game again. Our running D had a bad day, that will be fine.

Steeldude
09-13-2011, 06:08 AM
LeBeau has to start reacting to what the offenses are doing. The lack of adjustments are starting to worry me. If they can't figure out how to get pressure on the QB, we are in for a long tough season. Still hoping this was a one game aberration, but it looks like this defense is too easily exploited, as is.

it's going to be hard with a harrison at 80% or less. you would think woodley would have been all over the field since he received his huge raise. nope.

The Duke
09-13-2011, 10:47 AM
it's going to be hard with a harrison at 80% or less. you would think woodley would have been all over the field since he received his huge raise. nope.

I was hoping he would, so far nothing. But to be fair, other than Ike nobody was playing to their potential

Steeldude
09-14-2011, 12:47 AM
I was hoping he would, so far nothing. But to be fair, other than Ike nobody was playing to their potential

true. the team looked like they did in the SB. no fire at all.

steel striker
09-14-2011, 08:42 AM
To me it comes down to the pass rush and, if the steelers can't get pressure on the better qb's in the league it is going to be a long season. I think we do have some good playmakers on offense but, the problem is our o-line is very suspect. It's not like Ben has all day to throw the ball like Brady. Not to mention Flacco was hardly even touched last Sunday. I think the steelers will bounce back this week, the one game coming up in a few weeks that concerns me is against the Texans.

Moose
09-15-2011, 10:40 PM
I would say my confidence took a 'hit' with that terrible Sunday game at Baltimore. I thought the Steeler's would go 10-6 this year and I'm still sticking with that. I think this game was a wake up call for the whole Steeler organization. I think the players thought they could win just by doing what they always do....the fact of the matter is that the ratbirds knew what the Steeler's always do and compensated for it, and in turn our coaches couldn't make any adjustments. Our players were dumb founded and in shock and didn't know what to do. I'm kinda glad it happened .....especially the 1st game....so the team can rebound. Now, if they look like they struggle against Seattle, I'll start to worry more. If this team is going to make a run to the play-offs they will have to SOUNDLY beat Seattle, and go to Indy and win big there. I think the Houston game is going to be the deciding factor as whether this team has any potential to be a serious contender or not. After Houston I'm hoping for a 3-1 record....and I'm hoping the brownies or bungholes can pull a WIN over the ratbirds !!

Count Steeler
09-16-2011, 06:29 AM
My confidence level is on hold. Still think we are a playoff bound team.

As for the Ratbirds, the Titans this week is an excellent trap game. We shall see how they play after destroying the Steelers.

HometownGal
09-16-2011, 07:26 AM
If my confidence in this team waned after just one bad performance - and that bad performance coming in the first game of the season - I think I'd need my head examined. :doh: Lots of football yet to be played and I have every confidence the ship will be righted beginning this Sunday. :tt03:

Godfather
09-16-2011, 07:54 AM
My confidence level is at 100%. We're playing the Seahawks which means even if we play badly the refs will come to the rescue.