PDA

View Full Version : We lost to Ghana?

zulater
06-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Holy shit!? It just goes to show that soccer is an afterthought for young American athletes with real ability. Could you imagine an American team in any other sport losing to Ghana? I could probably go to any New York city youth league and field a basketball team capable of beating Ghana's best. Same goes for baseball, football ( the real version) or hockey. So sorry soccer fan, the sport still isn't relevant here. It's something girls, kids, and other countries do. :chuckle:

ALLD
06-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Soccer has some of the strategy of hockey, but it's slower, weaker, and less exciting. I went to a pub and they had the World Cup on. A superfine chick sat down right next to me at the bar. She was into the "football" and it just made her seem annoying. How skillful does one need to be where you do not use your arms? I understand it, but I still don't get it.

SteelerEmpire
06-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Isen't this the 2nd straight season that Ghana eliminated the US ? I think one reason that folks here in the US don't like soccer is because the US team sucks...

sherlock
06-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Isen't this the 2nd straight season that Ghana eliminated the US ? I think one reason that folks here in the US don't like soccer is because the US team sucks...

The U.S. team anything but sucks.
They are officially ranked 14th in the world out of the 202 countries governed by FIFA.
Last year they beat Spain the European champions and narrowly lost 3-2 to the mighty Brazil.
One wonders what they could do if the country actually got behind them............

sherlock
06-27-2010, 02:02 AM
zulater,I understand that soccer is,at best,an afterthought in the States but surely this only highlights the achievements of your national team.
As for losing to Ghana,well,they're a good team.
Furthermore,some of the best players in the world come from Africa.
I guess it all comes down to whether you like the sport or not.
You never know,one day you might start to enjoy soccer.
Take me for instance,until a few years ago I wouldn't have crossed the road to watch an AF game but now I'm completely obsessed with it,to the point that last year I went to Pittsburgh to see my first ever game.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Soccer gained a huge following in the U.S. over the past two weeks and I wouldn't be suprised if the momentum of the World Cup increased the popularity generously. The team had a chance to really do something special if they could have won another game or two though.

If you look at the major sports zultar mentioned, aside from American football, which nobody else plays, the U.S. has not been completely dominate. It was only the 2004 Olympics which we finished 3rd in basketball. We took the silver in hockey in this years winter games but we were huge underdogs throughout. And baseball seems to be more the national past time Japan and Latin American nations than it is for the U.S. anymore. Hell in last years World Baseball Classic we finished fourth behind Japan, South Korea and Venezuela. I'd call that far from dominate.

cakmakli
06-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Soccer is a great game but I think the problem is not many people really understand it. For my generation, with the exception of a few schools, no one played it. I have only come to appreciate the skill involved and the strategy of it because my son has has played it pretty much year round for the last 17 years.

One thing I like about it is the pace of the game. It never slows. There are no TV breaks or timeouts and there are limited substitutions to slow the game down. Most of the time, if you start the game, you are on the field for the whole 90 mins.

cakmakli
06-27-2010, 09:15 AM
The U.S. team anything but sucks.
They are officially ranked 14th in the world out of the 202 countries governed by FIFA.
Last year they beat Spain the European champions and narrowly lost 3-2 to the mighty Brazil.
One wonders what they could do if the country actually got behind them............

zulater,I understand that soccer is,at best,an afterthought in the States but surely this only highlights the achievements of your national team.
As for losing to Ghana,well,they're a good team.
Furthermore,some of the best players in the world come from Africa.
I guess it all comes down to whether you like the sport or not.
You never know,one day you might start to enjoy soccer.
Take me for instance,until a few years ago I wouldn't have crossed the road to watch an AF game but now I'm completely obsessed with it,to the point that last year I went to Pittsburgh to see my first ever game.

Very good posts

st33lersguy
06-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Soccer is so irrevelant we are probably the only non-soccer forum talking about the loss to Ghana :chuckle:

steeldevil
06-27-2010, 11:45 AM
People in the US dont care about soccer because we did not invent the sport... So we dont like it and think it is inferior to the sports that we invented... thats the way Americans are.

kielbasasteeler
06-27-2010, 12:38 PM
HAHA AFRICAN PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!

even though im south african it was a great win.

The Duke
06-27-2010, 06:16 PM
I'll be more than glad when this cup ends honestly

The sport is boring, to say the least. And living in a country where the only sport people watch is annoying

I tried to watch one game, but honestly...http://phumphries.com/forums/images/smilies/snore.gif

steelpride12
06-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Zulater seriously what makes you get on here and bash Soccer? It has plenty of strategy and is no easy game. It's called the thinking mans game for a reason and you have to be fast, smart and on your feet to play. Many people in the states don't enjoy the sport because they can't play it and never took a minute to watch a game and understanding the concept. If you don't like it don't talk about it.

zulater
06-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Soccer is a great game but I think the problem is not many people really understand it. For my generation, with the exception of a few schools, no one played it. I have only come to appreciate the skill involved and the strategy of it because my son has has played it pretty much year round for the last 17 years.

One thing I like about it is the pace of the game. It never slows. There are no TV breaks or timeouts and there are limited substitutions to slow the game down. Most of the time, if you start the game, you are on the field for the whole 90 mins.

Blah blah blah, soccer is fine, it has it's place, but it will never gain any traction in this country on our overall sports calender. It's a once every four year novelty.

It's also where our nerds go to play sports. Our countries good athletes play basketball, football, baseball, or hockey. As long as that stays the same we'll remain mediocre with our national team, and that's fine by me.

zulater
06-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Zulater seriously what makes you get on here and bash Soccer? It has plenty of strategy and is no easy game. It's called the thinking mans game for a reason and you have to be fast, smart and on your feet to play. Many people in the states don't enjoy the sport because they can't play it and never took a minute to watch a game and understanding the concept. If you don't like it don't talk about it.

My mother's English, I was exposed to the sport plenty through her brothers and my grandfather. It sucks, fucking "nil-nil" game being decided by penalty kicks in the end and I'm supposed to take it seriously? lmao

Maybe next year's AFC Championship game can be decided by a field goal kicking contest if they tie in regulation?:tongue1:

GitNoLuv
06-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Anyone else notice the massive amount of "gamesmanship" by that Ghana player in "extra minutes" (or whatever it's called in Soccer). He laid around for like 3 minutes as if in mortal agony...walked away...and shortly after jogged back on the field. That's a lot of time wasted that we could have used to win the game. I'm just saying.

zulater
07-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Too bad the US didn't win a couple more games so we could have advanced to the thrilling 3rd place game!~ Imagine the NFL playing the losers of both conference championship games against each other the day before the Super Bowl. Imagine how completely unmotivated the teams and their fans would be for such a contest. :lol: