PDA

View Full Version : James Farrior: The Old Man of the 'D'

stillers4me
09-09-2011, 05:40 AM
At an age when most players already have retired, James Farrior continues to grow in stature, even if he might be shrinking in size.

When he came to the Steelers as a free agent from the New York Jets in 2002, Farrior was an outside linebacker who weighed 240 pounds. But the Steelers wanted him to play inside linebacker in their 3-4 defense, and they wanted him to play the Buck position, which meant he was responsible for running to the ball and making tackles.

Taking on blockers? That was a role left to Casey Hampton, a 340-pound nose tackle in front of him, whose job, if at all possible, was to keep guards and centers away from Farrior.

"The guys up front do a good job keeping guys off us," Farrior said. "Every now and then, we got to wrestle and tussle with the linemen. But, most of the time, we're just running."............

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11252/1173166-66-0.stm

tube517
09-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Poker at Potsie's house! The old man can still play and is still a solid LB.

HometownGal
09-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Potsie is just like the Eveready Bunny - he keeps going and going and going. :yay3: It's going to be a sad day in the Burgh when a new season starts and our Pots isn't on the field anymore. :Cry:

SteelerFanInStl
09-09-2011, 08:27 AM
I'll miss him when he can't play any more. He's been a great player for us.

sactownsteeler
09-09-2011, 02:37 PM
funny on the "official" message board most people want him replaced and call him old and a liability... I think he still plays at a high level and he is the captain of that def, may not be the best on the field but he is like another coach out there and rarely misses on a play.

Count Steeler
09-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Great inspiration for the team and a good LB. Surprised he is performing at this level for his age, a great testament to his condition both physically and mentally.

Really think our guys are desperate to make amends for losing last year's SB.

IUSteel
09-09-2011, 04:14 PM
funny on the "official" message board most people want him replaced and call him old and a liability

Probably the same people calling Timmons a bust a couple years ago. Farrior can't do everything, and he doesn't have Timmons speed, but he hardly ever misses games and he's smart, dependable, and I can't see him as a liability.

steelerdiva
09-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Potsie is just like the Energizer Bunny - he keeps going and going and going. :yay3: It's going to be a sad day in the Burgh when a new season starts and our Pots isn't on the field anymore. :Cry:

Fixed it for ya, Sweetie! :hug:

And I agree....I love Potsie...he's been nothing but solid for this team. I'll miss him when he retires, too.

stillers4me
09-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Pot-dawg! :lol:

The Duke
09-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Would sound homeristic to most fans, but I'd take one Farrior over a hundred Ray Lewis'

no stupid dances either

A true leader, and probably will be the piece that the D misses most after a lot of the old guys start retiring