PDA

View Full Version : Ward might be emergency QB for Steelers

stillers4me
09-09-2011, 05:34 AM
The Steelers are contemplating whether to dress No. 3 quarterback Dennis Dixon for Sunday's game against Baltimore.

If the Steelers choose to sit Dixon, their emergency quarterback behind Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch will be receiver Hines Ward.

Ward said he has taken snaps and practiced handoffs following recent practices and said Thursday that he will be ready if needed at quarterback against Baltimore.

"I am just taking snaps just in case," said Ward, who last played quarterback in college. "We don't have an option right now. I can hand the ball off, but if it comes down to me, we are really in bad shape."..............

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_755834.html

GodfatherofSoul
09-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Wow, how the mediocre have fallen.

sactownsteeler
09-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I would rather not dress Dixon and put a playmaker on the field. If we lost 2 quarterbacks we were probably gonna lose anyway and I would be more concerned with their injuries than a win or a loss at that point....

Edman
09-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Someone remind me why we kept Dennis Dudson again?

oneforthetoe
09-09-2011, 12:59 PM
I'd probably take the conservative approach and dress Dixon. You can still only put 11 guys on the field at once (well, maybe the Patriots are aloud 12), so I don't see how another play maker is worth the risk. In addition, as much as I am disappointed in Dixon's lack of development, there is no doubt to me that he is better suited to run the offense than Hines. I love future HOF'er Hines, but inexperience with throwing to his receivers and reading defenses is blueprint for bad ball security. I'm not saying that Dixon is great at either of those aforementioned aspects of playing quarterback, but he has had more real game experience.

The biggest concern I have is that Ben will get hurt, Charlie comes in and get hurt walking into the huddle, and Ben goes out and plays injured (the warrior that he is) causing a more serious injury. Or, just imagine the Ravens licking their chops at the prospect of getting to hit an inexperienced Hines playing QB, given how "in their heads" he has always been. I'd rather risk Dixon getting hurt over a more serious injury to Ben or Hines.

That all said, in Tomlin I trust.

ALLD
09-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Sounds like a publicity move more than actual strategy.

SteelerEmpire
09-09-2011, 08:19 PM
I don't think I've ever seen such an awful preseason performance like I did from Dixon...

stillers4me
09-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Someone remind me why we kept Dennis Dudson again?

Because Byron fall down go boom.

GBMelBlount
09-09-2011, 08:22 PM
I'd probably take the conservative approach and dress Dixon. You can still only put 11 guys on the field at once (well, maybe the Patriots are aloud 12), so I don't see how another play maker is worth the risk. In addition, as much as I am disappointed in Dixon's lack of development, there is no doubt to me that he is better suited to run the offense than Hines. I love future HOF'er Hines, but inexperience with throwing to his receivers and reading defenses is blueprint for bad ball security. I'm not saying that Dixon is great at either of those aforementioned aspects of playing quarterback, but he has had more real game experience.

The biggest concern I have is that Ben will get hurt, Charlie comes in and get hurt walking into the huddle, and Ben goes out and plays injured (the warrior that he is) causing a more serious injury. Or, just imagine the Ravens licking their chops at the prospect of getting to hit an inexperienced Hines playing QB, given how "in their heads" he has always been. I'd rather risk Dixon getting hurt over a more serious injury to Ben or Hines.

That all said, in Tomlin I trust.

I agree with OneToe on this one.

Count Steeler
09-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Deebo for QB. Just let them try and tackle him.