PDA

View Full Version : Broken Beak is Ben's Badge of Baltimore Courage

stillers4me
09-08-2011, 10:39 PM
By now, you might have heard Ben Roethlisberger plays pretty well against the Baltimore Ravens. The Steelers have won seven games in a row in the contentious series with Big Ben at quarterback, including postseason wins last season and in 2008. They'll try to make it eight Sunday afternoon in Baltimore.

You probably also know some of Roethlisberger's signature moments against the Ravens. His five first-half touchdown passes and perfect 158.3 passer rating at Heinz Field in 2007. His winning 4-yard touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes with 43 seconds left at M&T Bank Stadium in '08. His 65-yard touchdown pass to Holmes in the AFC championship game at Heinz Field that same season. His winning 9-yard touchdown pass to Isaac Redman with 2:59 left at M&T Bank Stadium last season. The comeback he led from a 21-7 halftime deficit in a divisional playoff game at Heinz Field last season. His 58-yard pass to Antonio Brown to set up the winning touchdown in that game.

But you'll never guess the career highlight Roethlisberger most cherishes against the Ravens........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11251/1173215-87-0.stm

stillers4me
09-08-2011, 10:43 PM
"What makes me smile about that is I know people from Homestead, McKeesport, places all over the city ... real Steelers fans everywhere were watching and saw the blood all over the place," Roethlisberger said. "I hope they said, 'That's our guy. He's one of us. He never came out. He never quit. He's pretty tough.'

There was another reminder of Roethlisberger's toughness late in that game, two plays before the winning pass to Redman. Ravens Pro Bowl linebacker Terrell Suggs -- "An animal," Roethlisberger called him with the utmost respect -- appeared ready to sack him but couldn't bring him down. Roethlisberger -- playing not just with gauze in his nose but with a broken right foot from the game against Buffalo a week earlier -- fought off Suggs before finally flinging away a shovel pass for an incompletion. It might have been the Steelers' most remarkable play of the season.

:hail::hail::hail:

siss
09-08-2011, 10:52 PM
My favorite game is still the one in 2007 when went off for 5 td's and a perfect QB rating.

BigNastyDefense
09-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Ben Roethlisberger isn't just a quarterback, he's a football player who plays quarterback. He's tough as fucking nails. He's the ONLY quarterback I would want on this team. Brady, Manning, Vick, Manning Lite, Rivers, Brees....none of them would be able to play even half as well as Roethlisberger behind the offensive lines he has had to play behind. Honestly, the only QB I think that would be able to match the success is Aaron Rogers.

Ben Roethlisberger would have been able to play in the 50's, 60's, & 70's back when quarterbacks didn't wear skirts (all the time).

Butch
09-09-2011, 05:26 AM
"I know people say I hold the ball too long and take too many sacks," Roethlisberger said. "But I'd like to know how many other quarterbacks would have taken a sack there. Time was running down. We were low on timeouts. I'm just going to keep fighting for every yard. I'm always going to fight for everything for my guys."

What some will call his achillies heel is what makes him Great!!! This is what I love about Ben he holds on to the ball and is always trying to make a play!!! I remember peyton manning saying there is no contest to see who can hold onto the ball the longest. What he fails to see is that by holding onto the ball longer it gives his receivers time to get open. Yes at his linemen and his own expense but it's a price that Ben is willing to pay!!! I love it and I admire Ben for having the guts to be a tough as nails QB!!!

GREAT ARTICLE!!!

Iron Steeler
09-09-2011, 05:40 AM
My favorite game is still the one in 2007 when went off for 5 td's and a perfect QB rating.

Same. He scored 5 in the first half... o was hoping he could beat the single game record. But fell short to injury in that game

siss
09-09-2011, 07:21 PM
In 30 years, long after Ben wins another 3 Super Bowls and is retired and been in inducted into the hall of fame and Ben Jr is in the NFL, they will still tell the legend of the "nose game".

It was cold in Baltimore that night. Ben already had a broken foot and wearing a size 40 shoe (the size of his shoe will get bigger as the years go by). The big Oaf broke Ben's nose and those mean refs never even called the foul, because in those days you could tackle the QB (We think Goodell is bad now, in the future the defense will only be able to look at QB's and a mean stare will get them $900,000 fine). His nose was bent all the way to his ear. He fought off Suggs and saved the season with an incompletion and still lead his team to victory.

Polamalu Princess
09-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I do not care what anyone says about Ben - he is one tough man!!

polamalubeast
09-09-2011, 07:41 PM
The Steelers are the reason why the Ravens did not participate in the Super Bowl in 2008 and 2010.Without the Steelers, the Ravens would have had a good chance of winning the Super Bowl against the cards in 2008 and they would have had a good chance to participate in the super bowl last year if they had won against the steelers.

This is one reason why it is the best rivalry in the NFL right now.

I can not believe there are some who think the rivalry between the jets / pats is the best.Before the arrival of Rex Ryan with the jets, he had no rivalry on the field between the two teams since the jets were a very average team.

GBMelBlount
09-09-2011, 07:53 PM
But you'll never guess the career highlight Roethlisberger most cherishes against the Ravens.

Would you believe it's his broken nose in the game in Baltimore last season?...

"What makes me smile about that is I know people from Homestead, McKeesport, places all over the city ... real Steelers fans everywhere were watching and saw the blood all over the place," Roethlisberger said. "I hope they said, 'That's our guy. He's one of us. He never came out. He never quit. He's pretty tough.'??????"

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11251/1173215-87-0.stm#ixzz1XVQxgpqT

Admittedly I criticized Ben a lot early on because he always seemed to be limping or holding his hand as though he was a drama queen.

I was wrong.

Ben has EARNED my complete respect.

steel striker
09-09-2011, 08:36 PM
There will always be people that will hate on Ben but, he is one tough guy. There is no other qb I want leading this team. You know there are some qb's when there having a off night you might as well forget about them. Ben is truly a qb even when not at his best he still makes plays to help our guys win and, that is a great thing. Kind of like what Bill Wash said once when I look at qb's I wait to see them at there wrost when things are going bad and, see how he does that how you can tell if you got a winning qb.

Count Steeler
09-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Ben knows how to win. He is determined to get back to the SB and make amends for the last one. I say we have a better than fair chance of returning and it would be sweet to play GB again and put them in their place.

Iron Steeler
09-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Ben knows how to win. He is determined to get back to the SB and make amends for the last one. I say we have a better than fair chance of returning and it would be sweet to play GB again and put them in their place.

Damn that would feel good

I found myself rooting against green bay thurs night. I team I used t not really care about. I will be happy when I see our defense stop a high powered spread offense. Seems to be our achilles heal