PDA

View Full Version : CB Numbers Game

shutdown
09-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Cornerback Game (Using 2008-2011 Stats)

Determine who is A, B, and C between: McFadden, Gay, and Taylor

Note: they will all be the same letter. So Taylor is either A, B, or C for EVERY answer.

1.) Defensive *Stops (A play resulting in offensive failure)
A.) 34
B.) 52
C.) 43

2.) Total of QB Sacks, Hits, and Pressures
A.) 8
B.) 14
C.) 5

3.) Average Completion Allowed %
A.) 58.13%
B.) 59.83%
C.) 68.20%

4.) Total Touchdown's Allowed
A.) 6
B.) 7
C.) 7

5.) Total Passes Defensed
A.) 26
B.) 21
C.) 10

6.) Average QB Raiting
A.) 82.5
B.) 85.3
C.) 86.7

7.) Total Number of Pentalties
A.) 14
B.) 3
C.) 4

Here are their numbers:
http://i.imgur.com/MEpah.jpg

Ike Taylor = A
William Gay = B
Bryant McFadden = C

:thumbsup:

suitanim
09-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Go William Gay!

No....seriously. Go.

Stats are nice. My EYES see him get burnt all the time though, so.....................

shutdown
09-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Go William Gay!

No....seriously. Go.

Stats are nice. My EYES see him get burnt all the time though, so.....................

My eye's get me in trouble all the time too. ;)

Especially with my wife.

Chidi29
09-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Go William Gay!

No....seriously. Go.

My eyes see him getting put in impossible matchups for a nickel back.

zulater
09-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Nice work shutdown! :applaudit: Clearly demonstrates what a sub-par year McFadden had last year.

I know Gay will have his bad moments, but he also makes plays, all in all he's a decent nickel back. McFadden at 2 is the guy that needs to be upgraded.

Iron Steeler
09-08-2011, 10:14 PM
nope still hate gay

Steeldude
09-09-2011, 02:32 AM
the stats above seem a little off. from 2008 - 2011 mcfadden has 33 passes defensed. taylor has 39 and gay has 28.

according to one stat line, for 2010 mcfadden was 66.4%(allowed completions), 77 burns on 116 targets, 870 yards, 5 TD, 10 passes defensed

i hope someone from the bench will unseat mcfadden. it's tiring watching him getting burned over and over

suitanim
09-09-2011, 05:28 AM
B-Mac ain't the answer either, but if you want to see a spike in big plays from the opposition, ship McFadden and start Gay again.

MOST of my frustartion comes from the fact that we have all these young CB's on and off the roster, and none of them seem to be up to the task. We're not asking them to replace Rod Woodson here, it's Bryant McFadden and William Gay, for Chrissakes!

Chidi29
09-09-2011, 07:29 AM
B-Mac ain't the answer either, but if you want to see a spike in big plays from the opposition, ship McFadden and start Gay again.

MOST of my frustartion comes from the fact that we have all these young CB's on and off the roster, and none of them seem to be up to the task. We're not asking them to replace Rod Woodson here, it's Bryant McFadden and William Gay, for Chrissakes!

Maybe Gay and McFadden are better than you think?

Chidi29
09-09-2011, 07:30 AM
the stats above seem a little off. from 2008 - 2011 mcfadden has 33 passes defensed. taylor has 39 and gay has 28.

according to one stat line, for 2010 mcfadden was 66.4%(allowed completions), 77 burns on 116 targets, 870 yards, 5 TD, 10 passes defensed

i hope someone from the bench will unseat mcfadden. it's tiring watching him getting burned over and over

When has McFadden gotten burned?

SteelerFanInStl
09-09-2011, 08:25 AM

I agree with this. I don't think that we've done a good job of drafting CBs recently since none of them have been able to get into the lineup.

suitanim
09-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Maybe Gay and McFadden are better than you think?

Maybe they are worse
See:
-Last years Super Bowl
-11/14/2010 vs. New England
-12/20/09 vs. Green Bay

Steeldude
09-09-2011, 10:16 AM
When has McFadden gotten burned?

are you being sarcastic?

according to one stat line(via Stats INC), for 2010 mcfadden was 66.4%(allowed completions), 77 burns on 116 targets, 870 yards, 5 TD, 10 passes defensed

shutdown
09-09-2011, 12:06 PM
My stat line for McFadden for 2010 is: 69.7%, 76 RA on 109 TARGETS, 816 YDS, 6 TD's, 2 INT's and 6 Passes Defensed (102.1 QB Rating)

My guess is a "burn" is a reception allowed?

Chidi29
09-09-2011, 01:10 PM
are you being sarcastic?

according to one stat line(via Stats INC), for 2010 mcfadden was 66.4%(allowed completions), 77 burns on 116 targets, 870 yards, 5 TD, 10 passes defensed

No, I think we have two different definitions of the word "burned".

Allowing a reception is not getting burned to me. Getting beat deep, or having a recevier blow you away is getting burned in my book and probably 95% of others.

shutdown
09-09-2011, 01:24 PM
No, I think we have two different definitions of the word "burned".

Allowing a reception is not getting burned to me. Getting beat deep, or having a recevier blow you away is getting burned in my book and probably 95% of others.

I think that is what most consider a burn to be.

suitanim
09-09-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't have an agenda. I like LeBeau's defenses. I like that we have and aggressive scheme that asks that are corners play the run as well as pass, and also have to be able to blitz. I'm not sitting there hoping that our DB's get smoked. In fact, I've had that initial impression and gone back and checked to see if that was the case (and in more than one case I've noticed that the DB I initially held accountable wasn't really to blame). But my IMPRESSION of the last few years is that Ike gets smoked rarely, B-Mac gets smoked on occasion, and Gay gets smoked regularly. I'm guessing the Steelers felt the same, since the season after Gay started, they went back out and brought back B-Mac.

And we've probably had 15 different CB's on the roster over that same time period, and, well, look where we are.

Chidi29
09-09-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't have an agenda. I like LeBeau's defenses. I like that we have and aggressive scheme that asks that are corners play the run as well as pass, and also have to be able to blitz. I'm not sitting there hoping that our DB's get smoked. In fact, I've had that initial impression and gone back and checked to see if that was the case (and in more than one case I've noticed that the DB I initially held accountable wasn't really to blame). But my IMPRESSION of the last few years is that Ike gets smoked rarely, B-Mac gets smoked on occasion, and Gay gets smoked regularly. I'm guessing the Steelers felt the same, since the season after Gay started, they went back out and brought back B-Mac.

And we've probably had 15 different CB's on the roster over that same time period, and, well, look where we are.

The few times Gay has been burned, it's been as much of a product of him being put in bad matchups because he isn't starting material, as much as it is inability. Tomlin has even admitted to that much in the past.

sactownsteeler
09-09-2011, 02:35 PM
The problem for Gay is it seems like in every big game he is the one who gets exposed I am sure stats wise they are all pretty close but with LeBeau's scheme there will be a lot of receptions because of the zone and cushion we give (besides Taylor) so the stats are misleading in that aspect but Gay is good on blitzes but the sad part is none of the other guys they drafted can beat him out his spot......

suitanim
09-09-2011, 04:01 PM
The few times Gay has been burned, it's been as much of a product of him being put in bad matchups because he isn't starting material, as much as it is inability. Tomlin has even admitted to that much in the past.

Few?

You mean few a game, right?

Anyway, he was a starter not that long ago, regardless of his abilities. That falls on the FO to fix. It is what it is now, so I just hope that maybe Lake can impart some additional wisdom on these guys that may help them overcome whatever previous shortcomings that kept them from performing at a satisfactory level.

IUSteel
09-09-2011, 04:19 PM
The problem for Gay is it seems like in every big game he is the one who gets exposed...

I think this is it mostly, along with what everyone else has said. Our big games are against spread offense teams for the most part, and when the pass rush can't get there we don't have the corners to be able to hang with those teams most of the time. When a teams third receiver is still damn good, like say the Packers, Gay is getting dismantled.

shutdown
09-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Ike gets smoked rarely, B-Mac gets smoked on occasion, and Gay gets smoked regularly.

Again, your eyes are getting the best of you.

When you take the total number of snaps played and divide that by receptions allowed, McFadden is TOP 5 WORST in the league last season.

Gay is around the middle.

Ike is around the above average.

So in your terms: McFadden is getting "smoked" more than any Steeler CB on the field last season....

I'm guessing the Steelers felt the same, since the season after Gay started, they went back out and brought back B-Mac.

Maybe you forget the Steelers first let McFadden walk because Gay played better than him in 2008? So at one point they obviously felt he was better, then rescinded that thought.

Chidi29
09-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Few?

You mean few a game, right?

Anyway, he was a starter not that long ago, regardless of his abilities. That falls on the FO to fix. It is what it is now, so I just hope that maybe Lake can impart some additional wisdom on these guys that may help them overcome whatever previous shortcomings that kept them from performing at a satisfactory level.

No, he doesn't get burned very often.

The FO did fix it as much as possible. They brought McFadden back, put Gay in the nickel, and should McFadden get hurt, Keenan Lewis and not Gsy will replace him.

shutdown
09-09-2011, 04:58 PM
You know what's interesting about doing SNAPS / RA. The top 3 in that formula are Asante Samuel, Darrelle Revis, and Nnamdi Asomugha.

Asomugha blowing everyone away.

Granted that's probably because they're not targeted as often, but still pretty interesting.

suitanim
09-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Again, your eyes are getting the best of you.

When you take the total number of snaps played and divide that by receptions allowed, McFadden is TOP 5 WORST in the league last season.

Gay is around the middle.

Ike is around the above average.

So in your terms: McFadden is getting "smoked" more than any Steeler CB on the field last season....

Maybe you forget the Steelers first let McFadden walk because Gay played better than him in 2008? So at one point they obviously felt he was better, then rescinded that thought.

They did?

It wasn't about money and free agent offers from Steelers West?

If Gay played so much better, why didn't any other team offer him a better deal when his contract expired this year? Or, for that matter, LAST year when his contract expired? I'm not sure what you mean about 08. Gay started 4 games in 08, McFadden started 8, and Townsend stared 4. I'm sure you mean 09....the same season that afterwards the Cards signed McFadden, NOT Gay away. Unless they looked at both and decided they wanted to sign a WORSE FA for MORE money???

So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The Cards signed McFadden, NOT Gay, away, and the Steelers kept Gay, started him (disastrously), THEN signed B-Mac back to replace Gay, who you're saying.......................is better than McFadden?

So the Steelers have been wrong what? 3............4 times now, while you've been right?

shutdown
09-09-2011, 07:50 PM
You're really all over the place and kind of hard to understand but i'll focus on 1 point.

I'm not sure what you mean about 08. Gay started 4 games in 08, McFadden started 8, and Townsend stared 4. I'm sure you mean 09....

If you're not sure, don't insinuate. Take a second or third attempt to understand. I can't help you understand, but insinuating sets you up for failure. I mean what I said. 2008.

William Gay in 2008 played 475 snaps at CB

Bryant McFadden in 2008 played 472 snaps at CB

Gay also played a bunch in the nickle.

Gay played more than McFadden in 2008. Regardless of what your "starts" tell you, the snap counts show how many plays each player was actually on the field.

Overall Gays performance in 2008 was equal if not better than McFaddens. His completion percentage was the lowest the Steelers have seen in a long time (44%). It is logical to think the reason the Steelers didn't go after McFadden as aggressively as some thought they should was because Gay had such a strong 2008 campaign and they felt he could fill the shoes. This was confirmed with him earning the starting spot in 2009. In hindsight was it a mistake on the Steelers part? Yes. As Chidi said, did they stake steps to ratify it by bringing back McFadden? Yes. Could that too have been a mistake? Sure....

Chidi29
09-09-2011, 07:56 PM
And don't forget that Ray Horton said that Gay's ego was too big two years ago and was a factor in his poor play. He's humbled and matured, and if you look at last season objectvely without looking at the poor year prior, you'd see he played well and fits our system well (solid tackler, plays the run, physical). Subsquently, Tomlin has sung his praises.

Chidi29
09-09-2011, 08:02 PM
How about only six missed tackles for McFadden last year.

Has to be one of the best in the league, no? Can you look that up shutdown. I hate that PFF went to a paysite.

As I've said in the past, feel like a broken record over here, you have to be a solid tackler and run defender to be in this defense. It's an 11 man job. Especially for McFadden at the LCB spot where he's getting the most runs his way.

shutdown
09-09-2011, 08:09 PM
It's about average. 4 players only had 1. 36 had less than 5. He was at 37th with 28 other guys.

He had the least MT and most SOLO TACKLES for a Steelers starting DB's (including Clark and Polamalu) in 2010 which is a pretty solid when you put the two together.

Count Steeler
09-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Let's face it guys, as Steelers fans, we don't like to see any team advancing the ball on us. However, with the changing philosophy of the league, where it is more of a pass first mentality, we are still focused on shutting down the run. Our defensive philosophy and scheme is to stop the run.

Is it time to let the run defense slide a bit and focus more on better coverage and pass defense? I don't think it is a secret in this league that we are vulnerable to the spread offenses. It sure is frustrating when we can't shut down 3rd downs and can't get the defense off the field.

Chidi29
09-09-2011, 08:42 PM
It's about average. 4 players only had 1. 36 had less than 5. He was at 37th with 28 other guys.

He had the least MT and most SOLO TACKLES for a Steelers starting DB's (including Clark and Polamalu) in 2010 which is a pretty solid when you put the two together.

How many stops did the other players have?

shutdown
09-09-2011, 08:51 PM
*REMOVED*

Chidi29
09-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Let's face it guys, as Steelers fans, we don't like to see any team advancing the ball on us. However, with the changing philosophy of the league, where it is more of a pass first mentality, we are still focused on shutting down the run. Our defensive philosophy and scheme is to stop the run.

Is it time to let the run defense slide a bit and focus more on better coverage and pass defense? I don't think it is a secret in this league that we are vulnerable to the spread offenses. It sure is frustrating when we can't shut down 3rd downs and can't get the defense off the field.

It's easy to say that now. Not as easy to say when we're suddenly seeing offenses have success against through the ground game. The top teams in the league can also run the ball too.

Chidi29
09-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I mean the corners that had less tackles.

shutdown
09-09-2011, 08:59 PM
I mean the corners that had less tackles.

My bad. PFF defaults to 25% of the snaps which is unfair to players who play ALOT more.

When I up it to 50% of defensive snaps McFadden moves to 18th with 13 others. Anyone with less or equal missed tackles, none of them have more stop's than him, almost all have 50% or more less stops.

When I sort by STOP's by CB's who play 50% of defensive snaps or more, he's actually top 7.

Chidi29
09-09-2011, 09:04 PM
My bad. PFF defaults to 25% of the snaps which is unfair to players who play ALOT more.

When I up it to 50% of defensive snaps McFadden moves to 18th with 13 others. Anyone with less or equal missed tackles, none of them have more stop's than him, almost all have 50% or more less stops.

When I sort by STOP's by CB's who play 50% of defensive snaps or more, he's actually top 7.

I figured he was that low because of corners that didn't play a lot and didn't have the chance to miss more tackles.

Top 7 seems more appropiate for B-Mac

GBMelBlount
09-09-2011, 09:25 PM

VERY FRUSTRATING INDEED.

But our defense has been ranked tops in the NFL overall the last several years and arguably is the reason for our great seasons, deep runs into the playoffs and super bowl wins / appearances...

While frustrating, it works.

fansince'76
09-09-2011, 09:31 PM
It's easy to say that now. Not as easy to say when we're suddenly seeing offenses have success against through the ground game.

Exactly. I still have nightmares about Fred Taylor absolutely gashing us at at will back in '07 after Aaron Smith went down for the year and Priest Holmes doing the same in '03. If our run D is misguidedly ignored in an attempt to bolster our secondary play, Ray Rice, Cedric Benson and Peyton Hillis will all begin to regularly rip us a new one too.

Craic
09-09-2011, 09:57 PM

McFadden, I agree with you. But I think what your eyes saw, wasn't Gay's fault. It was the coaching staff's fault for trying to make a 5' 10" 190 LB receiver cover a 6' 6" 265 pound TE in the endszone.

Three TD's.

1st one. Gay was in the perfect position. Gronkowski was just too tall so Brady could throw the ball up over Gay's reach. http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/09000d5d81c1fc79/Gronkowski-19-yard-TD-reception

2 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/09000d5d81c1fc79/Gronkowski-19-yard-TD-reception)nd one. Faked the run. Gay stepped up to assume his run responsibility. It was simply a well designed play. http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/09000d5d81c2100d/Gronkowksi-hauls-in-2nd-TD

3 (http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/09000d5d81c2100d/Gronkowksi-hauls-in-2nd-TD)rd one. Confusion between Gay and Troy P. Neither of them ended up covering their man. But the other thing is, Gronk. comes up on Gay, and swats him off like a fly. That's what happens when you give up 75 pounds to a guy who is running straight at you.

Am I saying Gay is a great CB? Not at all. But I am saying if you go around the league and look at depth charts, he is the best number 3 of any depth chart you will find. Gay's not our problem. McFadden is the problem. That any the continued failure to not release Timmons into coverage to take on the big TE's instead of a 5' 10' CB.

suitanim
09-10-2011, 07:24 AM
You're really all over the place and kind of hard to understand but i'll focus on 1 point.

If you're not sure, don't insinuate. Take a second or third attempt to understand. I can't help you understand, but insinuating sets you up for failure. I mean what I said. 2008.

William Gay in 2008 played 475 snaps at CB

Bryant McFadden in 2008 played 472 snaps at CB

Gay also played a bunch in the nickle.

Gay played more than McFadden in 2008. Regardless of what your "starts" tell you, the snap counts show how many plays each player was actually on the field.

Overall Gays performance in 2008 was equal if not better than McFaddens. His completion percentage was the lowest the Steelers have seen in a long time (44%). It is logical to think the reason the Steelers didn't go after McFadden as aggressively as some thought they should was because Gay had such a strong 2008 campaign and they felt he could fill the shoes. This was confirmed with him earning the starting spot in 2009. In hindsight was it a mistake on the Steelers part? Yes. As Chidi said, did they stake steps to ratify it by bringing back McFadden? Yes. Could that too have been a mistake? Sure....

OK, let's try this again. The Steelers let McFadden go, yes. But I also didn't see anyone making a play for Gay, not even Steelers West who know the team so well. And the Gay experiment worked SO well that the Steelers....................turned around and re-signed McFadden. Gay has been available the last two years as a free agent, and he keeps signing one-year deals. That screams stop-gap.

When will we fill that gap? B-Mac should be the nickel, and we should have a solid and capable #2 CB across from Ike. Ain't happened since Townsend.