PDA

View Full Version : Legursky lone new starter

stillers4me
09-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Starting jobs have changed in New England and in Baltimore. The New York Jets have new starters and claimed four players off the waiver wire Sunday.

The Steelers? They are the "Same Old Steelers." Once that was a derisive term used in the 1950s and '60s to mock a franchise mired in obscurity. But there's nothing wrong with a team that has been to two of the past three Super Bowls undergoing virtually no changes in its lineup.............

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11248/1172309-66.stm

86WARD
09-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Could be a hell of a lit worse !!!

Austin87
09-05-2011, 01:16 PM
WOW! It is pretty amazing that we only have seven new players on the roster and only one new starter...talk about consistency. If it works, don't change it.

tube517
09-05-2011, 05:06 PM
There will never ever be a replacement for Matt Spaeth. :chuckle:

Count Steeler
09-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Disappointing as far as the secondary goes. Hopefully we have an advantage because of he continuity. Most guys should gel right away.

Lambert_Loonie
09-08-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm glad to see Legursky get a starting job, he definitely earned it last year.

Chidi29
09-08-2011, 01:04 PM
And Legursky really isn't a "new starter". He's started four games at right guard and one at center last year in addition to playing time throughout the year.

I still don't think he's very good and my biggest concern with the Ravens game, as usual, is the battle in the trenches. Their DL with guys like Ngata, Cody, and McKinney, against our interior. Especially at RG with Legursky. Plus, Scott vs Suggs off the edge.

suitanim
09-08-2011, 01:07 PM
We will never win the Super Bowl until we bring back................

............................John Kuhn!

Craic
09-08-2011, 03:22 PM
And Legursky really isn't a "new starter". He's started four games at right guard and one at center last year in addition to playing time throughout the year.

I still don't think he's very good and my biggest concern with the Ravens game, as usual, is the battle in the trenches. Their DL with guys like Ngata, Cody, and McKinney, against our interior. Especially at RG with Legursky. Plus, Scott vs Suggs off the edge.

Ahh, here is one of the few places where we disagree. I've kept my eye on this kid for a LOOONG time. I think I remember once, maybe twice in all the times he's started where a sack or a broken play was clearly his fault. There were a couple others where it might have been him, but it looked like the guy wasn't his assignment (zone blocking schemes or something else).

If there's a knock on him, IMO, it's that he can't blow people off the line in the run game. But, he CAN bring them to a stand still and does well in the passing game. Just remember last year in the SB, he completely shut down Raji. That's one of the best talents in the league right now, and up close to 340 pounds-much of that being muscle.

Last year when he started at guard, that interior of the line just felt SOLID. Honestly, my only worry on the line right now is LT.

Chidi29
09-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Ahh, here is one of the few places where we disagree. I've kept my eye on this kid for a LOOONG time. I think I remember once, maybe twice in all the times he's started where a sack or a broken play was clearly his fault. There were a couple others where it might have been him, but it looked like the guy wasn't his assignment (zone blocking schemes or something else).

If there's a knock on him, IMO, it's that he can't blow people off the line in the run game. But, he CAN bring them to a stand still and does well in the passing game. Just remember last year in the SB, he completely shut down Raji. That's one of the best talents in the league right now, and up close to 340 pounds-much of that being muscle.

Last year when he started at guard, that interior of the line just felt SOLID. Honestly, my only worry on the line right now is LT.

I only rewatched part of the SB, but he did do well. You also have to remember that he's going against a NT with arms about his length; Raji and Howard Green are both listed at 6'2 and likely have similar arm lengths (Raji is 32 inches, 3rd shortest at the Combine).

The crux of Legursky are his short arms, he's nicknamed T-Rex for a reason. And when he has to get upfield and engage with LBs on the move, he has to get closer to get a piece/lock on, and he can't do it. His pass protection is also pretty suspect as he can't move that well laterally and again, the short arms hurt him against athletic, pass rushing DTs.

To me, his best qualities are his quick first step and work ethic. He's fine as a spot start, but the more I saw him start last year, the more his flaws were exposed.

I'll back it up with examples later, but right now, I have to go.

Chidi29
09-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Examples:

From Week Two of the preseason.

- Legursky in SO BAD at enaging at the second level. He simply can't do it and the difference between him and Pouncey is of Grand Canyon proportions.

Week 7 last year:

- Rough 1st quarter by Doug Legursky. Two holding calls, the second occuring because he got beat. He struggled in pass protection and the more starting experience he gets on his resume, the more his shortcomings are exposed.

Midseason Eval.

However, when starting multiple games, his flaws in pass protection and overall talent disparity between him and some defensive lineman showed. He's a useful backup who has the ability to play any interior lineman position and has resumed that role with Essex's return.

Week Three Last Year

- One element you might have missed on the first Wallace touchdown. You'll mainly hear about how Wallace was able to get behind Grimm, how the ball was underthrown, but watch Batch before the throw. Legursky gets beat pretty badly to his outside