PDA

View Full Version : Preseason: Week Four Thoughts

Chidi29
09-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Jumping right into the notes before laundry is done....

*Finally got a VCR that will hopefully be able to record live TV (for the low, low price of $300) so the reports should be more detailed and chalk full of fuzzy cell phone pictures for the regular season).

First Half

- Kickoffs for PIT: Suisham - 4.02 (-2), 4.35 (2), 4.03 (out EZ), 4.09 (-8 TB). Waters - 4.35 (OZ), 4.29 (-4)

- Carolina: 4.4 (OZ)

- Starting o-line: J.Scott, Kemoeatu, Essex, Legursky, Colon

- Batch reading hot on a pass to Johnson early in the game. WILL on the blitz, Charlie gets the ball out.

- 3 TE heavy set. Johnson in the backfield. McCoy is weak and Gilmore is strong. Saunders nowhere to be found. Thought he made the team of the three so I guess he has the last laugh. Still don't think he's a refined blocked.

- For what it is worth (not much now), Kapinos was first team holder.

- On one open side blitz, we rolled the LBs to the blitz side to try and bait the QB if he's reading hot. Yet another of many wrinkles.

- Mundy slipped on Shockey's TD. But because Cam Newton threw a five yard curl, it's apparently the greatest thing that has ever happened in professional sports.

- Another empty set from under center. Block/release screen to Saunders.

- Saw Butler was a first team gunner. Another starter of the first game who got the axe. Maybe it's better to be riding the pine for once...

- McCoy was still on the first team punt and field goal unit.

- The fact Batch played what, two series, shows it was never a competition between him and Dixon. As it should be.

- New o-line. Gilbert, Foster, Essex, Hills, Jolly

- Butler and Lewis were the starting CBs early in the second quarter.

- The second time in as many weeks a player lined over center on a punt and resulted in a penalty. Atkins last week, Gilmore this one.

- Dwyer TD. Let's give credit to Manny Sanders with a huge downblock to help spring him for the score.

- Let's look back on the Clowney TD. Another example why I don't like my corner playing up and would rather him playing off, especially in thiis scheme. Let him read the receiver and QB and react off that with time to do so. Don't force a split second reaction.

Clowney is split way wide, outside the numbers. You're going to get one of three routes off that. The slant, comeback, or go. If you're playing off, you can read the three step game without even getting into your backpedal. If he doesn't break off on the slant, you know it's going to be a deep route either the three or nine. He does give a stutter step, but then he gets off the line with a hard outside release. You know he's going deep. Butler is too late to turn and run and Clowney blows by him on a well thrown ball by Anderson (first time that's ever been said).

- The third delay of game penalty this preseason with Dixon under center. Completely unaccpetable. Guy still looks like a rookie and has no control over the offense.

- Morty Ivy with a strong first half. All over the field, good first step, and reading the QB well.

- Six penalties in the first half. Ugh.

Second Half

- Wes Saunders one of the wedgebusters to start the second half.

- Jared Crittenton getting snaps for first time in a little while.

- New o-line: Gilbert, Foster, Malecki, Hills, Jolly

- Cortez foing a great job of locating the ball, getting his hand up, and tipping the ball to lead to an interception. Solid game for a guy who doesn't have much time under his belt. Still dont' expect him to make an impact his rookie year.

- Suisham and Waters both kicked 52+ yard field goals.

- OT for those who watched the local broadcast. Anyone see the preview for "Person of Interest" that Pompeani has to plug against his will. In a 15-20 second promo, four people are shot. All in the leg. Shooters have terrible aim.

- Keith Williams, Trevis Turner entering the game late.

- McClendon made it tough for the team to leave him off the roster. And they didn't.

- Jolly getting snaps at LT.

- Dwyer looking better on special teams. Game cemented a roster spot for him (so much easier to say these things after the cutdown, lol). As a player, if you show you can wear many hats, you'll get a helmet much quicker.

- Mario Harvey getting first snaps on defense in the preseason. Big dude.

- Ivy's production continued into the second half.

- Colin Miller time at center late in the game.

43Hitman
09-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Nice breakdown as usual Chidi, thanks for doing these. I really enjoy reading your write ups.

Count Steeler
09-04-2011, 08:31 PM
You should have a special section just for your wrap ups. I hope you still have time to do them now that you are starting college.

Chidi29
09-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Yep, I will be. Monday classes give me a nice window to get a start on it. One in the morning and then don't go again until the afternoon. And like I said, just got a new VCR that will hopefully be what I'm looking for.