PDA

View Full Version : Did NOT make the Practice Squad...

katmandu
09-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Donovan Warren,
Jarret Crittenton
Wes Lyons
and #6 pick Keith Williams.

Crezdon Butler signs w/ Cards

oneforthetoe
09-04-2011, 01:29 PM
I wonder if a few of those other guys have been picked up by other teams but the announcements have yet to be made?

I thought Warren had a nice camp, but I was not quite drinking the kool-aid as were so many other fans. He looked good mostly against other players who were not going to make an NFL roster. The Steelers' coaches saw him in practice against our talented receiving corp and determined he was not worthy of a roster spot. No doubt the coaches have made mistakes in the past, but our success speaks for itself - so I will just trust their decision on this one.

The surprise to me is Crittenton. Why wait until the last second to cut him if you have no inclination that he will be part of our future? Maybe somebody else did pick him up? We will see.

7willBheaven
09-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Crittenton was never going to make the team or PS...it was Bryant who they wanted. Maybe they were playing games and making teams think they did/etc...it doesnt matter really...he was the only one of the last cuts that was obvious and they had no intentions of keeping.

Also Warren DID play against starting NFL WRs and such and still did decent...he at least earned the right to be on the PS (unless he was claimed)

oneforthetoe
09-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Crittenton was never going to make the team or PS...it was Bryant who they wanted. Maybe they were playing games and making teams think they did/etc...it doesnt matter really...he was the only one of the last cuts that was obvious and they had no intentions of keeping.

Also Warren DID play against starting NFL WRs and such and still did decent...he at least earned the right to be on the PS (unless he was claimed)

I don't necessarily disagree that Warren should have been put on the ps. As for playing against starting NFL WR talent, I would really have to go back and re-watch all the preseason games, which I am not going to do. However, it is hard for me to believe that he had many snaps against top caliber wr talent in our preseason games. Still, my point was that the coaches got to see him against our wr corp, which is pretty talented, and determined that he was not worthy. Are the coaches right? Who knows? They have been wrong before. But, they are right more often that they are wrong.

Chidi29
09-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Not sure what else Warren had to do to make the practice squad.

I'm fine with letting the other guys go. Not sure when Crittenton became such big news. Yeah, he wasn't in the first round of cuts, but he was still let go. Just a day later.

Lyons was way too overrated.

Williams was a decent run blocker and did well in a phone booth but awful in pass protection.

oneforthetoe
09-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Not sure what else Warren had to do to make the practice squad.

I'm fine with letting the other guys go. Not sure when Crittenton became such big news. Yeah, he wasn't in the first round of cuts, but he was still let go. Just a day later.

Lyons was way too overrated.

Williams was a decent run blocker and did well in a phone booth but awful in pass protection.

Be interesting to see if anybody else picks up Warren now.

I don't think Crittenton was that impressive either, it is just a curiosity as to why they left him on the roster one more day.

Chidi29
09-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Be interesting to see if anybody else picks up Warren now.

I don't think Crittenton was that impressive either, it is just a curiosity as to why they left him on the roster one more day.

He probably will. Roy Lewis found a home in Seattle though he's currently on the PUP.

Crittenton is 6'6 280. You try telling him you have to get out of here. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
09-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Butler to the Cardinals. Never saw that coming :chuckle:

oneforthetoe
09-04-2011, 02:48 PM
He probably will. Roy Lewis found a home in Seattle though he's currently on the PUP.

Crittenton is 6'6 280. You try telling him you have to get out of here. :chuckle:

Good point .... I wonder who is going to tell Harrison when his day comes?

Reminds me of a story about "Fats Holmes." As the story goes, when the Steelers decided to cut him none of the coaches, including Noll, wanted to be the one to tell him.

Chidi29
09-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Good point .... I wonder who is going to tell Harrison when his day comes?

Reminds me of a story about "Fats Holmes." As the story goes, when the Steelers decided to cut him none of the coaches, including Noll, wanted to be the one to tell him.

Especially after the whole "shooting at police helicopters" incident.

7willBheaven
09-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Anthony Gray...forgot all about him.

86WARD
09-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Warren...agree with Chidi. The guy played well. Nit sure what more he had to do.

SteelerFanInStl
09-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Warren...agree with Chidi. The guy played well. Nit sure what more he had to do.

I agree too. He should be on our PS.

suitanim
09-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Warren had a speed issue...maybe that was more than the Steelers were willing to overlook?

The Duke
09-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Warren had a speed issue...maybe that was more than the Steelers were willing to overlook?

Could be, but if that's the reason I'm surprised a team like the Colts or Bucs haven't contacted him yet

would fit perfectly in those systems

Chidi29
09-06-2011, 12:24 PM

Outisde of Ike, none of our experienced corners are fast. And even the new guys are more quick twitch than straight line speed. Speed isn't a requirement here like it is in Oakland. That's the reason zone was created. Because DBs couldn't keep up with fast WRs like Bob Hayes.

suitanim
09-06-2011, 12:47 PM
But if he doesn't have recovery speed, and was on the bubble...

I'm just fishing for reasons why we continue to keep William "The Torch" Gay on the team and cut other DB's that look more promising.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-06-2011, 05:03 PM
But if he doesn't have recovery speed, and was on the bubble...

I'm just fishing for reasons why we continue to keep William "The Torch" Gay on the team and cut other DB's that look more promising.
Warren ran a 4.59 at the combine and I think the torch ran a 4.55. We both know how much(little ) that means. I too am puzzled that he didnt make the PS, but maybe somebody else picked him up??

Looked like a good nickel corner in the making and for any of us that watched some Big 10 football, the kid played well there too.

Craic
09-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Warren ran a 4.59 at the combine and I think the torch ran a 4.55. We both know how much(little ) that means. I too am puzzled that he didnt make the PS, but maybe somebody else picked him up??

Looked like a good nickel corner in the making and for any of us that watched some Big 10 football, the kid played well there too.

That would be your answer then. Gay is a very good nickel/3rd CB. He doesn't have the ability to step into number two though. So why keep someone else on the team that would be a slower, less seasoned version of Gay, especially when Gay produces pretty dang well at the Nickel position.

suitanim
09-06-2011, 05:21 PM
That would be your answer then. Gay is a very good nickel/3rd CB. He doesn't have the ability to step into number two though. So why keep someone else on the team that would be a slower, less seasoned version of Gay, especially when Gay produces pretty dang well at the Nickel position.

Because we know what we have with Gay. He, now, at his "best" doesn't look better to me than Warren who is raw and young and teachable and full of upside.

And now he's gone.

Gay will be absolutely smoked at least 10 times this year, more with injuries. I'd rather have Warren get smoked 15 times and get better with seasoning than suffer through watching Gay suck up the joint again.

stillers4me
09-06-2011, 05:30 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1269370077/edphoto1_normal.jpgEdBouchette (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/EdBouchette)Ed Bouchette

RT @AdamSchefter (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/AdamSchefter) Former Steelers OL Tony Hills signed a 2-year deal with the Denver Broncos.”

Chidi29
09-07-2011, 07:19 AM

I haven't read about Warren signing anywhere yet.

suitanim
09-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Well, we've discussed this before. 40 times are nice, but unless players are only going to run in straight lines in shorts during a game, I'm not sure they are all that applicable. I'm just guessing, but maybe he lacked recovery speed in playing conditions? Everything else about him looked solid. It's just puzzling because he had so much playing time. You'd think that was an indicator that they were keeping him. However, I'm not going to second guess because of all that playing time: They have a mile of film on him and must've seen something...

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Because we know what we have with Gay. He, now, at his "best" doesn't look better to me than Warren who is raw and young and teachable and full of upside.

And now he's gone.

Gay will be absolutely smoked at least 10 times this year, more with injuries. I'd rather have Warren get smoked 15 times and get better with seasoning than suffer through watching Gay suck up the joint again.
I agree. When Gay was drafted, I hoped that he had the upside to be another DeShea Townsend, but he has proven to be a poor man's Tim McKyer.

I think Gay was outplayed by Keenan Lewis and Donovan Warren in the preseason, but the lack of starting experience probably saved Gay over the others. The inexperience of Lewis, Brown and Allen probably meant they could not keep 4 guys with no NFL experience.