PDA

View Full Version : Final 5 Cuts Made - Steelers Now at 53-Man Roster Limit

fansince'76
09-03-2011, 04:11 PM
The five players released today include cornerback Crezdon Butler, offensive lineman Tony Hills, tight end John Gilmore, punter Jeremy Kapinos and defensive lineman Jarrett Crittenton.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/5-cut-roster-set-at-53/4bcf340f-97df-4181-95ff-9c3f00e538f2

KeiselPower99
09-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Surprised Butler was cut but he didn't show enough to keep his spot. They had a real tough decision at punter but Sepulveda showed enough.

fansince'76
09-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Someone's gonna get a pretty decent punter in Kapinos. Hope Sep stays healthy, because I don't think Kapinos is going to remain available for long.

43Hitman
09-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Im really surprised about Kapinos. I thought he had outperformed Sep all the way.

BigNastyDefense
09-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Someone's gonna get a pretty decent punter in Kapinos. Hope Sep stays healthy, because I don't think Kapinos is going to remain available for long.

Hell, he might be signed by the Browns asap. They lost their punter to a torn ACL in training camp.

HollywoodSteel
09-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Wow, Hills sure took a nose dive from starting guard to being cut. I doubt anyone will pick him up so he'll still be around if we sustain an injury. I am surprised about Butler though. Does anyone know if he was active in too many games last year to be on PS?

Pittsburgh43
09-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Really glad Wes Saunders made the team.

Psycho Ward 86
09-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Really glad Wes Saunders made the team.

me too. i love upside, a little too much sometimes ill admit, but he could turn into something else.

really surprised on the otherhand to see the COMBINATION of Donovan Warren/Crezdon Butler getting cut. I guess it's another "upside" thing seeing how they got cut and Cortez Allen made it. I have a hard time believing Tony Hills went from potential starting guard to a roster casualty as well. Very strange...especially after all the love he was getting from the coaching staff...

X-Terminator
09-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Im really surprised about Kapinos. I thought he had outperformed Sep all the way.

I thought so too, but that's the way it goes. It wasn't like Sep was terrible, though - I thought he did a good job in his own right coming off major knee surgery.

Psycho Ward 86
09-03-2011, 04:46 PM
3 ACL tears for Sepulveda correct? how many of them were on his punting knee?

43Hitman
09-03-2011, 04:48 PM
I thought so too, but that's the way it goes. It wasn't like Sep was terrible, though - I thought he did a good job in his own right coming off major knee surgery.

Those knee's worry me though. If I had to choose between a younger guy that punts just as far, if not farther than Sep, and is as accurate with healthy knee's, I'm taking the younger healthier guy.

I'm not bashing Sep, I like him fine, just color me confused with this move.

SteelerFanInStl
09-03-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm surprised about Hills and Butler. Not sure how someone goes from being talked about as the starting RG to getting cut. I don't know what happened to Butler but I'm tired of seeing us continually drafting CBs that can't play in the NFL. Seems like our scouts aren't doing a very good job. Yea, these guys aren't high draft picks but we should be able to at least find a dependable nickleback in the 3rd or 4th round.

SteelerFanInStl
09-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Those knee's worry me though. If I had to choose between a younger guy that punts just as far, if not farther than Sep, and is as accurate with healthy knee's, I'm taking the younger healthier guy.

Agreed. Kapinos out-punted Sep by quite a bit in the preseason. The move doesn't make any sense.

GBMelBlount
09-03-2011, 05:28 PM

Agreed. Plus with Seps injury history...

Edman
09-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Keeping Sep makes no sense especially when Kapinos outplayed him all preseason. Butler is young and raw and we'll probably see him on the PS. Seeing Warren cut is disappointing as well. Hills has been mediocre all his time here and looks like he didn't seize his starting opportunity.

Oh well, Secondary is still a problem that the Steelers weren't able to fix this year. Another year of China Doll BMac, and Useless Gay getting burned in the secondary. Hope Troy doesn't get hurt.

Glad Wes Saunders made the team.

suitanim
09-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Really surprised at Hills. I guess he couldn't unseat the existing starting guards. I thought he played really well in the preseason. Gotta think Essex's flexibility is what did him in.

Also wonder about Warren. He seemed to be coming along nicely.

Do you think William Gay has "pictures" of Tomlin or something? How does this guy keep making the roster?

Steeldude
09-03-2011, 06:01 PM
i am not surprised at hills being cut. he should have been cut last year. he has shown no promise at all since he arrived. it says a lot about a player who couldn't beat out essex or j. scott

Count Steeler
09-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Keeping Sep is an answer to HTG's prayers. Surprised Hills fell so far from grace.

86WARD
09-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Not surprised they kept Saunders. Not surprised they kept the good luck charm. Tony Hills cut? WTF? His camp was strong! Little surprised at Butler but not as much as I am at Hills...

suitanim
09-03-2011, 06:26 PM
It came down to Essex being able to play every OL position, I think. Hopefully the line stays healthy, they build some rapport, and it doesn't end up mattering.

Moose
09-03-2011, 06:32 PM
It's a shame we couldn't keep BOTH--Sep. and Kapino's. I like Sep. alot, and I like how he can pretty well target where to put the ball, but his knee's worry the hell out of me and it would be nice to know that we would have had Kapino there just in case needed.

LLT
09-03-2011, 06:35 PM

I think I understand where the FO is coming from. They have seen enough of both Sep and Kapinos OUTSIDE of the preseason to not have to make their decision based on those 4 games alone.

Dont forget that Sep was the #7 overall punter in the league when he got hurt last year. From that point of view Sep is the better option based on "body of work".

7willBheaven
09-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Not surprised about some of these...but am especially about Hills. Like most of you said from starting RG and having a good camp to being cut? Something odd there...especially keeping C Scott over him when Scott did start strong but then kind of went downhill. I'm sure the coaches know what they're doing though. I'm going to assume Legursky is the new starting RG? Butler would be my next surprise cut...they decided to keep 7 DL instead of 6...which meant someone had to go...and they felt it was Butler (and not say Battle)...I like the kids potential...and i really hope he makes it to the PS. Sep versus Kapinos...they were fairly neck and neck I think...and I personally favor Sep...but the injuries (to his plant leg for the person who asked) are worrisome...heres to a healthy year for Sep.

sactownsteeler
09-03-2011, 06:57 PM
I am glad Saunders made the team I think he will see the field and will be a huge upgrade over Spaeth! Suprised about Butler, Warren and Hills and keeping Battle. Kick offs arent a big deal anymore and I think one of the CB's could've replaced him and added some depth in our weakest area. Keeping C Scott over Hills was a big surprise because he seemed like he finally was making plays and I havent seen much from Scott that would make him a keeper but then again I am not a coach nor a scout so I am sure they saw a lot that I didnt.
Didnt care which punter we kept Sep is nice because he can tackle if he needs to and is athletic back there but he is also a risk with injuries.....

Burghfan58
09-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Agreed. Kapinos out-punted Sep by quite a bit in the preseason. The move doesn't make any sense.

Plus I'm sure Sep counts a lot more against the cap as well.

LLT
09-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Wow, Hills sure took a nose dive from starting guard to being cut. I doubt anyone will pick him up so he'll still be around if we sustain an injury. I am surprised about Butler though. Does anyone know if he was active in too many games last year to be on PS?

Of course all rookies are elgible for the PS..but to answer your question, here are the ALL the players (besides rooks) who are still elgible:

CB- Crezdon Butler
K- Swayze Butler
S- Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith
WR- Tyler Grisham
LB- Mortty Ivy
RB- James Johnson
OT- Kyle Jolly
WR- Wes Lyons
OG- John Malecki
LB- Chris McCoy
TE- Jamie McCoy
DT- Steve McLendon
OT- Chris Scott
CB- Donovan Warren

7willBheaven
09-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Of course all rookies are elgible for the PS..but to answer your question, here are the ALL the players (besides rooks) who are still elgible:

CB- Crezdon Butler
K- Swayze Butler
WR- Tyler Grisham
LB- Mortty Ivy
RB- James Johnson
OT- Kyle Jolly
WR- Wes Lyons
OG- John Malecki
LB- Chris McCoy
TE- Jamie McCoy
DT- Steve McLendon
OT- Chris Scott
CB- Donovan Warren

I'm assuming you're just naming all players eligible...as C Scott and McLendon made the team...

Out of that list though Id like Butler, Cro-Smith, Warren, and Ivy for sure...and Williams from this years draft....and a WR between Lyons and Grisham...and I dunno the rest, haha.

X-Terminator
09-03-2011, 08:02 PM
I understand why people preferred Kapinos over Sep, but when healthy, Sep is one of the better punters in the league. The key, though, is when healthy. His knees are definitely a concern since he's blown out both of them in his career and on his plant leg twice. Kapinos will not be unemployed for long, you would think.

CB- Crezdon Butler
K- Swayze Butler
WR- Tyler Grisham
LB- Mortty Ivy
RB- James Johnson
OT- Kyle Jolly
WR- Wes Lyons
OG- John Malecki
LB- Chris McCoy
TE- Jamie McCoy
DT- Steve McLendon
OT- Chris Scott
CB- Donovan Warren

I'm guessing a few of them will be New York Giants by tomorrow evening.

stillers4me
09-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Sep is still here!! Thank you thank you !! :heh:

I'm very excited for Wes Saunders. I've followed him on Twitter since the day he got the call from the Steelers and I can honestly say I've never seen anyone more excited and more driven with the opportunity to become a Steeler! Not only did he work hard to earn this spot but he seems to be a very good, Steelers kind of young man.

zulater
09-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Sorry but I didn't see it the way many of you did with Tony Hills. I think they gave him every shot you could give a guy, plus one, and he just proved to be incapable in the end. Stopgap is the best word that will ever be used to describe Hills play in the NFL. Personally I think his release was two years overdue.

Jason Worldis has inherited his roster spot as the least deserving Steeler on an NFL roster, I'll wager he'll be joining Tony at the end of next summer.

I'm glad Chris Hope made the final roster though

oneforthetoe
09-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Only real surprise to me was Butler. I figured they had to get rid of one more o'linemen and it was either Hills, Scott or Foster. So, not a huge surprise there. I really thought they might keep 7 dbs, considering that our starting two have hardly seen the field yet. I thought Butler had done enough. I guess he has a chance to make the ps.

steelreserve
09-04-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm not that surprised about Hills. Between Foster and the two Scotts, we already have 3 tackles who can't play tackle, so why do we need another one?

About Sepulveda and his "body of work" being better ... I don't really see it that way. His body of work consists of being pretty good in the 40% of games he plays, and then suffering a season-ending injury, and then we're stuck with a lousy punter during the last half of the season and the playoffs. Who the hell ever heard of an injury-prone punter? I didn't even think there was such a thing; guess I was wrong. But seriously, if you want to talk about how good Sepulveda's stats are "when healthy," then you'd better also add Mitch Berger and Paul Ernster's stats into your calculations, because that's the kind of punter we'll end up with.

Steeldude
09-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Sorry but I didn't see it the way many of you did with Tony Hills. I think they gave him every shot you could give a guy, plus one, and he just proved to be incapable in the end. Stopgap is the best word that will ever be used to describe Hills play in the NFL. Personally I think his release was two years overdue.

Jason Worldis has inherited his roster spot as the least deserving Steeler on an NFL roster, I'll wager he'll be joining Tony at the end of next summer.

i don't get what people saw in hills either. the guy completely failed season after season. he was fortunate to be kept after the first year. he lacks a good punch which all LTs should possess. he struggles against speed rushers. he lacks intensity. he also plays stiff. according to some the steelers know nothing about football because hills was the starting RG :huh:

Texasteel
09-04-2011, 05:22 AM
I thought Hill was gone last year, but got caught up in the potential move to G hoping to get something out of him. Guess he couldn't cut it there either.

HometownGal
09-04-2011, 07:04 AM
I understand why people preferred Kapinos over Sep, but when healthy, Sep is one of the better punters in the league. The key, though, is when healthy. His knees are definitely a concern since he's blown out both of them in his career and on his plant leg twice. Kapinos will not be unemployed for long, you would think.

Exactly. :thumbsup: The key words here are "when healthy". Let's hope DSep can keep those knees out of injury's way this season. If he can't do it alone, I'd be more than happy to help. :eyebrows: ;)

Kapinos will definitely land a job within the next couple of days and I wish him the very best. :drink:

Nadroj 20
09-04-2011, 07:50 AM
3 ACL tears for Sepulveda correct? how many of them were on his punting knee?

I'm not sure that any were is punting knee, but it is probably worse for a punter to tear an ACL on the none kicking leg because that is you landing leg. You need it to be stable. So I'm pretty sure it has been the right knee at least twice.

86WARD
09-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Hills was one of the best lineman the Steelers had as far as the first 2 and a half preseason games went. If you watched those games, you're wrong to say he was no good because he was leaps and bounds better technically than he has been in previous years. having said that, the first three game plans were pretty vanilla aside from some of the plays in the Falcons game. It's quite possible that the team saw that as the game plans and blocking schemes got more involved and more difficult in the games and in practice, that Hills just wasn't getting it either physically or mentally. My guess would be he just didn't understand the blocking schemes...

HollywoodSteel
09-04-2011, 09:24 AM

Chris Hope is back on the team?

Oh, maybe you meant Hoke.:chuckle:

Steeldude
09-04-2011, 09:45 AM
you're wrong to say he was no good because he was leaps and bounds better technically than he has been in previous years.

that may be, but being leaps and bounds ahead of where he was doesn't mean much considering it's hills. it's like he went from an F to a D-

...Hills just wasn't getting it either physically or mentally

i believe it's a combination of both

. My guess would be he just didn't understand the blocking schemes...

it could be, but then again kemo would have gotten the axe awhile ago. kemo isn't the sharpest tool.

i am hoping gilbert is the answer. i don't have much faith in j. scott or essex as tackles.

Psycho Ward 86
09-04-2011, 11:39 AM
About Sepulveda and his "body of work" being better ... I don't really see it that way. His body of work consists of being pretty good in the 40% of games he plays, and then suffering a season-ending injury, and then we're stuck with a lousy punter during the last half of the season and the playoffs. Who the hell ever heard of an injury-prone punter? I didn't even think there was such a thing; guess I was wrong. But seriously, if you want to talk about how good Sepulveda's stats are "when healthy," then you'd better also add Mitch Berger and Paul Ernster's stats into your calculations, because that's the kind of punter we'll end up with.

that only happened once 3 years ago...

tihmtahm
09-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Chris Hope is back on the team?

Oh, maybe you meant Hoke.:chuckle:

lol... I did a double take too .

86WARD
09-04-2011, 03:34 PM
lol...same here...