PDA

View Full Version : Steelers opponents have attempted 45.8 passes on average per game in pre-season!

polamalubeast
09-02-2011, 02:35 PM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=PRE&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_ATTEMPTS_PER_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2011&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&qualified=true

Do you think it will continue that way this year?

I think it's very possible, especially if the Steelers do not prove that he can stop the pass.

fansince'76
09-02-2011, 02:45 PM
If the Steelers can continue to win at a 75% clip, hold teams to less than 16 points a game and an overall passer rating of 70.5, I really don't give a shit about the yardage given up or number of passing attempts per game by their opponents. Yardage doesn't win games. Besides, it's not like most teams even attempt to run on them anymore, so what other option is there? Only thing I'm truly concerned about is getting off the field on 3rd and long - they need to tighten that up.

Count Steeler
09-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Just trying to follow the blue print that the Packers, Patriots, Saints have used. You can't run on us anyway, so try to spread us out and throw. It may not be a formula I like, but if we don't give up a lot of points, and we win the turnover battle, we will win most games. I think Lebeau will eventually make some adjustments and then this formula will have to be changed again. Let's not forget Ike and BMac have not played in the preseason either.

polamalubeast
09-02-2011, 02:59 PM
If the Steelers can continue to win at a 75% clip, hold teams to less than 16 points a game and an overall passer rating of 70.5, I really don't give a shit about the yardage given up or number of passing attempts per game by their opponents. Yardage doesn't win games. Besides, it's not like most teams even attempt to run on them anymore, so what other option is there? Only thing I'm truly concerned about is getting off the field on 3rd and long - they need to tighten that up.

If you look at the game against the Falcons, the Steelers were lucky not to give 24 points in the first half.One time, Ryan had made a pass too high a WR wide open in the end zone and later in the game, Julio Jones made ​​a drop.

The biggest weakness of the Steelers is the defense against the pass, especially against elite QB.

suitanim
09-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Cue the Arians haters.

fansince'76
09-02-2011, 03:14 PM
If you look at the game against the Falcons, the Steelers were lucky not to give 24 points in the first half.One time, Ryan had made a pass too high a WR wide open in the end zone and later in the game, Julio Jones made ​​a drop.

The biggest weakness of the Steelers is the defense against the pass, especially against elite QB.

We left points on the field in the first half as well, and if memory serves, they couldn't stop our offense either. And Ryan wound up completing barely more than 50% of his passes. Besides, LeBeau stops playing vanilla starting next week.

tube517
09-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Cue the Arians haters.

I have the picture ready..... :chuckle:

The Duke
09-02-2011, 03:48 PM
We left points on the field in the first half as well, and if memory serves, they couldn't stop our offense either. And Ryan wound up completing barely more than 50% of his passes. Besides, LeBeau stops playing vanilla starting next week.

Exactly! It goes both ways. If one team screws up their chance to score it's irrelevant to the final outcome

the pass D will be fine. So long as we don't use an injured BMac again, and seeing as how he still hasn't played that's my only worry...

Keenan must be ready for next Sunday

polamalubeast
09-02-2011, 04:07 PM

I was talking about the pass defense of the Steelers!... I admit to be worried about our defense against the pass.

fansince'76
09-02-2011, 04:12 PM
I was talking about the defensive!..I admit to be worried about our defense against the pass.

Spreading out the Steelers' D has been the recipe to beating it for years now. It still doesn't happen all that often because most teams don't have the personnel to pull it off effectively. Like I said, my main concern with the D is getting off the field in third and long situations.

steeldevil
09-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Why run?

X-Terminator
09-02-2011, 04:14 PM
I was talking about the pass defense of the Steelers!... I admit to be worried about our defense against the pass.

It is a concern against elite QBs like Marsha. Against most other teams, it doesn't really matter much.

sactownsteeler
09-02-2011, 04:35 PM
pressure on QB helps fix most of the problems on the back end. I think we sould be fine I only worry about Marsha and if we face Rogers again in Super Bowl

Edman
09-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Offenses sticking to what works. Teams know they can't run on the Steelers, so they attack them the only way they can. Through the air. A combination of being the Steelers' weakness, but also being the O's only hope of moving the ball against them.

I'm more concerned about how the Steelers will adjust to being thrown on alot. Time will tell if we'll see 2002 where the Steelers secondary made everyone look great, or other times when only the elite QB's (Rodgers, Marsha, Brees) could beat them. There's a difference. In preseason, the Steelers certainly did get thrown on a lot, but they didn't surrender a lot of points. I'm going to go on record and say this year the Defense will not be as good as it used to be. It's going to need help, and that's from the Offense.

This will only bite the Steelers in the ass when they let teams hang around. That means the Offense not putting any points on the board themselves. If this offense is supposedly so good and so stacked, there is no excuse for lack of production.

SteelerEmpire
09-02-2011, 05:21 PM
No one (and I mean NO ONE) can run on the Steelers. Teams are gonna keep using the 4 or 5 WR set game after game and the Steelers are gonna get good at defending against it simply from having so much practice at it... THEN WHAT ??? Offenses will no longer have any options against the D.
But the secondary will have it's work cut out for it this year. But it's about time they pick their game up, I'm sick and tired of the members of this secondary not doing their homework and drawing a PHAT paycheck every week (Troy and Ike not included) !!!
I still say the best counter to this is to throw OUR 4 and 5 WR sets against their defense... I'll put Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown and Miller against ANY defense in the league... Steelers win that battle every game...
But yet another interesting aspect to that statistic is that we're 3-1 in the playoffs as well... so that strategy hasn't been a winning formula for at least 3 of those teams.

BigNastyDefense
09-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Well, it's not like anyone can run on this defense, so they have the sling the ol' pigskin around to have any chance of defeating us.

X-Terminator
09-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Offenses sticking to what works. Teams know they can't run on the Steelers, so they attack them the only way they can. Through the air. A combination of being the Steelers' weakness, but also being the O's only hope of moving the ball against them.

I'm more concerned about how the Steelers will adjust to being thrown on alot. Time will tell if we'll see 2002 where the Steelers secondary made everyone look great, or other times when only the elite QB's (Rodgers, Marsha, Brees) could beat them. There's a difference. In preseason, the Steelers certainly did get thrown on a lot, but they didn't surrender a lot of points. I'm going to go on record and say this year the Defense will not be as good as it used to be. It's going to need help, and that's from the Offense.

This will only bite the Steelers in the ass when they let teams hang around. That means the Offense not putting any points on the board themselves. If this offense is supposedly so good and so stacked, there is no excuse for lack of production.

The only thing that might hold the offense back is if they can't get the running game going. Other than that, they should be able to put points on the board as well as anyone in the league. If they just boost their output to 24 PPG, that will be more than enough to win most games.

suitanim
09-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah, i was thinking that too. Just outscore the opponent.....and hope when they play the Pats that the Steelers are the only team that knows the play!