PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: 2 series just enough for Batch to prove he's worthy backup

Galax Steeler
09-02-2011, 03:49 AM
CHARLOTTE. N.C. -- Charlie Batch finally got a chance to play with someone other than rookie free agents and looked very much like a quarterback ready to be the top backup to Ben Roethlisberger .

On a night in which Roethlisberger was one of 11 starters held out by coach Mike Tomlin , Batch started and led the Steelers to a touchdown on their opening possession in a 33-17 preseason victory Thursday night against the Carolina Panthers.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11245/1171618-66.stm#ixzz1Wmc0fStP

stillers4me
09-02-2011, 05:03 AM
I didn't see the game but it's good to hear Charlie can still rock it.

Or at least hold his own. :heh:

We are lucky to have the stable of backups that we do.....if Ben has to sit one or two games out for whatever reason winning just that one extra game can mean sliding into the playoffs or not. Charlie has come through for us more than once in this regard.

HometownGal
09-02-2011, 06:55 AM
I only watched the first half as I was exhausted from the radiation treatment yesterday but Batch (he doesn't get the "o" today :heh:) looked decent. On the other hand, Dixon didn't look too bad either but with Charlie's vet experience, it only makes sense that he is annointed the backup to Ben. I still wouldn't feel comfortable with him or Dixon in a 2 game or more relief role against a worthy opponent though.

86WARD
09-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Dixon is awful. He's definitely digressed over the last couple seasons. Drafting a QB is going to become a necessity soon...real soon.

HometownGal
09-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Dixon is awful. He's definitely digressed over the last couple seasons. Drafting a QB is going to become a necessity soon...real soon.

Though Dix made a couple of bad throws last night, I thought he didn't play all that badly. :noidea: However, you are right - we do need to draft a QB next year without a doubt.