PDA

View Full Version : Steelers in good hands of top 3 receivers

stillers4me
09-01-2011, 05:47 AM
In his 14th season with the team that drafted him in the third round in 1998, Hines Ward knows he is not going to play many more seasons. But, when he leaves, the club's all-time leading receiver knows his position will be in good hands, literally and figuratively.

That's because the Steelers might have the best trio of young receivers in the NFL.

"It's a real sign the future of the wideouts that we have," Ward said. "We didn't go out and draft any guys because we're comfortable with the young guys we have. When I do leave, we'll be in good hands. They're very talented."

And they are very different..............

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11244/1171290-66.stm

sactownsteeler
09-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Sanders is faster version of Ward not saying he is as good at this point because Ward should be a HOFer and this is only Sanders second year but he is more than capable to move the chains and blow the top off of the coverage as well. The only thing I am worried about is will we be able to afford all 3 of them when the time comes?

Psycho Ward 86
09-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Sanders is faster version of Ward not saying he is as good at this point because Ward should be a HOFer and this is only Sanders second year but he is more than capable to move the chains and blow the top off of the coverage as well. The only thing I am worried about is will we be able to afford all 3 of them when the time comes?

that is really far down the road, and that's not even taking into equation giving these guys their tenders when they're RFA's. This team will look so different by then, and it's not even worth worrying about yet.

Psycho Ward 86
09-01-2011, 11:26 AM
And wow, Ward: 3rd round pick, Wallace: 3rd round pick, Sanders: 3rd round pick, Cotchery: 4th round pick, Brown: 6th round pick.

All those middle late round picks panned out...and then some! I'll be damned.

sactownsteeler
09-01-2011, 12:08 PM
that is really far down the road, and that's not even taking into equation giving these guys their tenders when they're RFA's. This team will look so different by then, and it's not even worth worrying about yet.

Sanders and Brown both only signed 3 yr contracts and Wallace is a RFA next year and you never know if he has a huge year this year someone could go after him hard. I remember Washington was ready to give up a first and second for Ochocinco just a couple years back. But I do agree with how amazing our talent is especially with the draft picks we used. I still give my brother in law crap about Heward Bey when we got Wallace 2 rounds later and several millions cheaper and their combine was almost identical..... LMFAO!!!!!!

43Hitman
09-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Sanders and Brown both only signed 3 yr contracts and Wallace is a RFA next year and you never know if he has a huge year this year someone could go after him hard. I remember Washington was ready to give up a first and second for Ochocinco just a couple years back. But I do agree with how amazing our talent is especially with the draft picks we used. I still give my brother in law crap about Heward Bey when we got Wallace 2 rounds later and several millions cheaper and their combine was almost identical..... LMFAO!!!!!!

And Wallace can catch.

Psycho Ward 86
09-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Wallace will probably get the top tender which would get us a 1st and 3rd i believe if someone were to nab him from us. Awesome, we'll take those picks, but i highly doubt anyone would put that many chips in for him. Beyond that we can franchise tag him if it even has to go that far. Same with Sanders and Brown. 3 year contract over, enter tender offers. Then if needed, slap a franchise tag on one, transition tag on another the following year. And this is only speaking in terms of the greatest extent we'd have to go to keep them. They'll end up getting deals before even half of this could even possibly happen.

And that's IF they prove their worth to us. Right now, Sanders and Brown are only an inferno of potential. Let's see them take off first before we worry about something so far down the road.

sactownsteeler
09-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Mendenhall will be a free agent the same year as Sanders and Brown. His wheels may be off by then but at this point Redman would be your feature back if that is the case or if Dwyer can play up or Batch gets healthy and blows up.
I am not worried about them because the front office always finds a way to keep the people they want and replace the people whom are too expensive i.e J Peezy......

tube517
09-01-2011, 03:52 PM
And wow, Ward: 3rd round pick, Wallace: 3rd round pick, Sanders: 3rd round pick, Cotchery: 4th round pick, Brown: 6th round pick.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed: 2nd round pick! :rofl2:

fansince'76
09-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed: 2nd round pick! :rofl2:

He's gonna catch on somewhere else and take over the world! :chuckle:

ALLD
09-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Honestly, Sweed should go back to school and get his Master's Degree. He needs more maturity.

86WARD
09-01-2011, 05:47 PM
He needs the mental part of the game as well...not to mention a set of hands...

86WARD
09-01-2011, 05:48 PM

Can't take credit for Cotchery...;)

The Duke
09-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Wallace will probably get the top tender which would get us a 1st and 3rd i believe if someone were to nab him from us. Awesome, we'll take those picks, but i highly doubt anyone would put that many chips in for him. Beyond that we can franchise tag him if it even has to go that far. Same with Sanders and Brown. 3 year contract over, enter tender offers. Then if needed, slap a franchise tag on one, transition tag on another the following year. And this is only speaking in terms of the greatest extent we'd have to go to keep them. They'll end up getting deals before even half of this could even possibly happen.

And that's IF they prove their worth to us. Right now, Sanders and Brown are only an inferno of potential. Let's see them take off first before we worry about something so far down the road.

crazy scenario- Heyward Bey has another sucky year (likely), raiders cut tie and are in the market for a new receiver. Al used a 3rd on Pryor! He won't hesitate to throw his 3rd and 1st for a proven and super fast player like Wallace

for those picks I wouldn't be opposed to the idea

sactownsteeler
09-02-2011, 01:17 AM
Sanders looked good tonight.... gonna be a pretty damn exciting season!

86WARD
09-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Sanders looked real good. Gonna
Be 3A and 3B with those two.