PDA

View Full Version : Cortez Allen

sactownsteeler
08-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Looks like the rookie will finally see the field tomorrow. Hope he impresses.....

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/08/cortez-allen-likely-to-play-versus-panthers/

7willBheaven
08-31-2011, 09:16 PM
At this point I'd rather him not and just IR him...and have the last 1-2 spots come down to Gay and Warren...I think 5 are as close to locks as can be right now...Ike, Bmac, Brown, Butler, Lewis...and it depends if they keep 6 or 7 CBs...I'm really rooting for Warren here.

Craic
08-31-2011, 09:58 PM
At this point I'd rather him not and just IR him...and have the last 1-2 spots come down to Gay and Warren...I think 5 are as close to locks as can be right now...Ike, Bmac, Brown, Butler, Lewis...and it depends if they keep 6 or 7 CBs...I'm really rooting for Warren here.

I sure hope not. If Gay gets cut we are screwed. His production last year beat out most other team's number 2 CB production. That includes passes defended and tackles.

86WARD
08-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Why would Gay get cut?

Craic
08-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Why would Gay get cut?

Because he had problems in the 09 season :noidea:

Steeltreal
08-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Why would Gay get cut?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al6IopMdTHg
cuz of this?

7willBheaven
08-31-2011, 11:20 PM
I had a feeling I'd get some flack by saying I'd have it down to Gay and Warren for the last spot (if they kept 6). I'm not a Gay hater or anything...and do admit as pointed out above that he can have some very good stats/etc. However I'm just sick of him getting beat for big plays/TDs/etc. While every corner on the team has given these up over the years...it just seems like it happens to him more often than anything, haha. Plus I was tempted to say the last spot between Bmac and Warren...but if Bmac goes...that would mean Gay is a starter again and we all know how that went last time.

sactownsteeler
08-31-2011, 11:59 PM
I was hoping they could hide him on the practice squad.....

Austin87
09-01-2011, 03:38 AM
I sure hope not. If Gay gets cut we are screwed. His production last year beat out most other team's number 2 CB production. That includes passes defended and tackles.

With respect Preacher, that is a nothing statement...Gay had more tackles and passes defended than Nnamdi Asomugha...stats don't mean much.

I think Gay's "production" is due to the fact that he was targeted a lot more than other teams 2nd CB's. Gay is an below average CB and is entering his 5th season, I don't think he is getting any better. Why not give some of the young CB's a shot?

The Duke
09-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Have a bad feeling he'll have a good game, be cut for his lack of playing time and be picked up by someone instead of going to our practice squad

good luck to him though. I think he's a very good fit for our system, but his raw skills are gonna show up tonight. He's far behind Warren and Brown in that aspect, coming from a small school and missing more of August

Edman
09-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Why would Gay get cut?

Probably because he sucks?

Can't cover. Can't tackle. Always out of position. Takes bad angles. Can't do anything.

sactownsteeler
09-01-2011, 11:04 AM
I agree with you Edman. Every time there is a big play seems he is the one on the wrong end of it........ But watching him get trucked by AP always makes me laugh almost as funny as the Bus running over Urlacher....

86WARD
09-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Probably because he sucks?

Can't cover. Can't tackle. Always out of position. Takes bad angles. Can't do anything.

But they won't cut him with the other talent they have on the team...

oneforthetoe
09-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Do we have any update on Lewis' injury? It didn't sound like it was in IR territory.

There is a chance the Steelers could carry 7 cb's, with Allen or Warren going to the PS. I actually think Warren might be safer on the PS. Teams grab players of the other teams PS because of potential - and Allen may still rank higher on that scale than Warren with many teams, regardless of their respective play this summer..

7willBheaven
09-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I agree with those saying Allen wouldnt make it on the PS...thats why I was in favor of just IRing him with whatever his injury was and be done with it...now if he plays tonight (injury free)...they will have a tough decision to make.

sactownsteeler
09-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I heard Lewis would be ready for start of season he shouldnt be on IR possibly questionable for first week but that was last I read anywhere on him.

oneforthetoe
09-01-2011, 12:07 PM
I heard Lewis would be ready for start of season he shouldnt be on IR possibly questionable for first week but that was last I read anywhere on him.

Thank you. If Lewis isn't going to be ready for the beginning of the season then it makes it more likely we will keep seven corner backs to start the season. If BMAC is also unavailable for week one the 7 is almost a lock.

Chidi29
09-01-2011, 01:33 PM
With respect Preacher, that is a nothing statement...Gay had more tackles and passes defended than Nnamdi Asomugha...stats don't mean much.

I think Gay's "production" is due to the fact that he was targeted a lot more than other teams 2nd CB's. Gay is an below average CB and is entering his 5th season, I don't think he is getting any better. Why not give some of the young CB's a shot?

Because Gay knows the system better than the young guys and won't make the mental mistakes they do.

Gay is fine in the nickel. Solid tackler, plays the run, physical. All I'm looking for. We just need to stop putting him in bad matchups. That's when he gets into trouble just as any corner would.

Psycho Ward 86
09-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Because Gay knows the system better than the young guys and won't make the mental mistakes they do.

Gay is fine in the nickel. Solid tackler, plays the run, physical. All I'm looking for. We just need to stop putting him in bad matchups. That's when he gets into trouble just as any corner would.

Gronowski vs. Gay comes to mind. OMFG.

Is McFadden playing against Carolina?

Chidi29
09-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Gronowski vs. Gay comes to mind. OMFG.

Is McFadden playing against Carolina?

Example of a bad matchup as I talked about. On the long 25-30 yard touchdown pass, Gay is one on one with Gronk down the seam. The Z ran a streak, taking away Clark, the safety, from helping out the seam and having to help over the top. Gay is running to the inside hip hoping/thinking he'd have the safety there because Gay obviously isn't going to be able to stop a 6'5 260 pound TE from every type of throw imaginable. No safety help and Brady leads Gronk perfectly.

How is Gay supposed to stop that? Please tell me because everytime I bring it up, no one can. And yet, everyone continues to mention this play.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ip6pc.jpg

There's a picture of the play. Gay on the right side down the numbers.

No idea what McFadden's status is. Hamstrings are tough to predict. One day, you're feeling good, the next you're tight. Hope he does though.

Psycho Ward 86
09-01-2011, 03:08 PM
^that's what i meant, i think Gay's incompetent against too many receivers but even i dont expect to shutdown an athletic tight end like that.

Chidi29
09-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Oops, talk about egg on my face.

I didn't realize you were talking about putting him in bad matchups. Thought you were just saying he sucked and using that as an example.

My fault. I'm just used to people saying "Gay sucks" and fly off the handle right away.

SteelMember
09-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I don't think Cortez's injury is substantial enough to put him on IR without raising suspicion from the league. If he can't play, we will have little choice but to try and get him to the practice squad. The positive there being in order for another team to pluck him off, they HAVE to put him on their 53 man roster. Some teams may not have enough depth for that to be an issue though.

oneforthetoe
09-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I don't think Cortez's injury is substantial enough to put him on IR without raising suspicion from the league. If he can't play, we will have little choice but to try and get him to the practice squad. The positive there being in order for another team to pluck him off, they HAVE to put him on their 53 man roster. Some teams may not have enough depth for that to be an issue though.

I could be wrong, but isn't that requirement that a player be put on the 53 man roster only if a team plucks a player off another teams practice squad? So, if a player is claimed off waivers (before he can be put on the ps), he can be put anywhere in another teams organization. I haven't read the rules for a while so I might be "missremembering." However, if that is the case, then Allen could be gone before he makes our ps.

SteelMember
09-01-2011, 04:20 PM
I could be wrong, but isn't that requirement that a player be put on the 53 man roster only if a team plucks a player off another teams practice squad? So, if a player is claimed off waivers (before he can be put on the ps), he can be put anywhere in another teams organization. I haven't read the rules for a while so I might be "missremembering." However, if that is the case, then Allen could be gone before he makes our ps.

Correct. A player must clear waivers before being on the practice squad. I think it's less than a 24hr. window.

Either way, we probably don't "sneak" him anywhere if another team has more need for a CB than us. His draft position may have put him on some other teams radar if for only that reason alone. Although, they will have no new tape on him.

BlastFurnace
09-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I'd be shocked if Gay is cut. Even in the worst case scenerio, he's a good # 6 corner.

We have to realize, he's not our #6, he's the #3 or #4 corner on this team that knows the defense.

He's not going anywhere.

SteelMember
09-01-2011, 04:33 PM
I'd be shocked if Gay is cut. Even in the worst case scenerio, he's a good # 6 corner.

We have to realize, he's not our #6, he's the #3 or #4 corner on this team that knows the defense.

He's not going anywhere.

I agree he's not a 1 or 2, but looking at or depth chart, he has value.

I'm still wondering if we stick with Bmac even if he doesn't play a snap in the preseason. Some guys earn that right with reputation, but he is an average to below average #2, imo.

7willBheaven
09-01-2011, 10:29 PM
He actually played towards the end of the game (Bmac never played though)...with very limited action I did like the little I saw of the kid...I hope they dont loose him if they try to PS him...makes things at CB more interesting...could they keep 7 this year?

Chidi29
09-01-2011, 10:32 PM
He actually played towards the end of the game (Bmac never played though)...with very limited action I did like the little I saw of the kid...I hope they dont loose him if they try to PS him...makes things at CB more interesting...could they keep 7 this year?

If they keep 7, either Allen or Warren will have to go.

7willBheaven
09-01-2011, 10:35 PM
If they keep 7, either Allen or Warren will have to go.

Exactly...and if thats the case...as much as I have liked what Warren has done this preseason...I'd have to go with Allen based on this draft status...and hope to put Warren on the PS...and call him up if anyone gets hurt and needs to go on IR/etc.

Chidi29
09-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Exactly...and if thats the case...as much as I have liked what Warren has done this preseason...I'd have to go with Allen based on this draft status...and hope to put Warren on the PS...and call him up if anyone gets hurt and needs to go on IR/etc.

I'd have to base it on the body of work. It's not like Allen was a 1st rounder. We've outright cut draft picks from Allen's round in the past (Fred Gibson). Allen did have some nice plays tonight and I especially liked him locating the ball on Will Allen's interception, but he's been too limited and is probably too raw to make the team over a guy like Warren who has played well in every game.

SteelerFanInStl
09-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Allen shouldn't make the team over Warren. Allen hasn't shown much at all and Warren has played well.

7willBheaven
09-01-2011, 10:50 PM
I'd have to base it on the body of work. It's not like Allen was a 1st rounder. We've outright cut draft picks from Allen's round in the past (Fred Gibson). Allen did have some nice plays tonight and I especially liked him locating the ball on Will Allen's interception, but he's been too limited and is probably too raw to make the team over a guy like Warren who has played well in every game.

Yeah I know...I'm definitely torn on this one...potential versus proven skills (in preseason, but still). This is why I'm glad I dont have to make the decisions. If Allen would have just stayed injured...IR was the perfect route...but not now.

The Duke
09-01-2011, 11:52 PM
I wish the steelers luck. I wouldn't want to be the one making this decision

Cortez showed just what I expected out of him. VERY inexperienced, but the man is a player

One very talented DBack could be gone for good