PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin makes decision for cautious Steelers

stillers4me
08-31-2011, 05:13 AM
After watching Byron Leftwich suffer a knee injury in the final preseason game a year ago — when he was slated to start the first month of the regular season in place of the suspended Ben Roethlisberger — Steelers coach Mike Tomlin isn't about to take that chance again.

Tomlin said Roethlisberger will not play against Carolina on Thursday, giving the starting nod to Charlie Batch followed by Dennis Dixon.

"We haven't decided the distribution of reps," Tomlin said. "All we have decided is that Charlie will start first and Dennis will also play."............

Readm ore @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754283.html

BlastFurnace
08-31-2011, 05:59 AM
I would treat this game as a bye. Very few of the starters would see the field. Troy should be doing his best Duce Staley impersonation (standing around in a sweatsuit).

suitanim
08-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Rest Harrison, Troy, Mendenhall, and Ben. Maybe Clark, too. I may be forgetting someone else. Little help here...who else doesn't need to play?

Steeltreal
08-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Rest Harrison, Troy, Mendenhall, and Ben. Maybe Clark, too. I may be forgetting someone else. Little help here...who else doesn't need to play?

Id say Sepulveda just cause of previous injuries and it might be a long night for the punter with 2nd and 3rd string offense.

suitanim
08-31-2011, 10:04 AM
More I think about it, what good does it do to play any of the defensive starters? They all have back-ups who could use the reps. We know the DL is solid, and a guy like Aaron Smith doesn't need to play. In fact, I hope he shares 40% of his reps with Hood. The LBers are set, and Harrison looks like he could use the rest. The secondary is set, and all 4 could sit this one out. With Cam Newton at the helm, I'd say our entire second string D is more than up to the task.

The OL needs to play, though, as we need to establish some kind of continuity there.

Austin87
08-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Essex seems like the perfect backup at the O-line, he shouldn't ever start though.

I'm actually excited to see how he performs at Center. I doubt there are many offensive lineman out there that can play every position on the offensive line.

suitanim
08-31-2011, 10:52 AM
40% of Smith's reps in the regular season. Wanted to clarify that...

sactownsteeler
08-31-2011, 11:43 AM
The 4th game should be a game where bubble guys get a chance to shine and make the team, you already know what you have with most of the team but all the young db's and lbr's should get a lot of reps.

43Hitman
08-31-2011, 11:46 AM
More I think about it, what good does it do to play any of the defensive starters? They all have back-ups who could use the reps. We know the DL is solid, and a guy like Aaron Smith doesn't need to play. In fact, I hope he shares 40% of his reps with Hood. The LBers are set, and Harrison looks like he could use the rest. The secondary is set, and all 4 could sit this one out. With Cam Newton at the helm, I'd say our entire second string D is more than up to the task.

The OL needs to play, though, as we need to establish some kind of continuity there.

I completely agree with you Suit, we should rest them all. Week 11 is a long ways away.

86WARD
08-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Agree. All it takes is one play to end a season...rather do that in the regular season than the preseason...lol.

ALLD
08-31-2011, 03:52 PM
I still wouldn't play Sweed, even if he were still on the team.

86WARD
08-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Ha...after this preseason, Sweed would had to have played at a Jerry Rice level to pass anyone of the receivers on the roster...it's a shame he didn't...

Galax Steeler
08-31-2011, 07:22 PM
I agree let them rest and watch we don't need no more injuries.

kmsteelerwr15
08-31-2011, 07:42 PM
I had a feeling Ben wouldn't play but even if he did, he probably would have just kept on handing off the ball.