PDA

View Full Version : Steelers OL Legursky's talent belies stature

stillers4me
08-31-2011, 05:12 AM
Doug Legursky started 36 games at Marshall, where he registered 235 knockdowns and 23 touchdown-resulting blocks while allowing only four sacks. That placed him at the top of the list for both the Rimington Award and Outland Trophy.

Legursky was sure to be selected somewhere during the 2008 NFL Draft — until his Pro Day rolled around.
Legursky was listed at 6-foot-3 in college. When he was measured at his Pro Day, he came in two inches shorter.

Legursky went from a sure-fire draft choice to an undrafted rookie free-agent selection of the Steelers, with little chance of making the 53-man roster and an even harder time making an impression on his coach.

"A couple years ago, I admit that he wasn't much to look at," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said...............

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754290.html

GBMelBlount
08-31-2011, 06:13 AM
Nice read.

"I trust (Legursky) more than anybody else on the field," veteran right tackle Willie Colon said. "I know he is going to be out there and do a good job."

That is one helluva compliment from Colon.

But what really opened the Steelers' eyes was the performance he had in Super Bowl XLV, when he was forced to fill in for the injured Maurkice Pouncey at center and played well enough to neutralize mammoth Green Bay nose tackle B.J. Raji.

It sounds like Legursky's hard work and great attitude are paying off....definitely a feel good story.

Read more: Steelers OL Legursky's talent belies stature - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_754290.html#ixzz1WcDtFBUm

Austin87
08-31-2011, 10:26 AM
I like Legursky, just not as a starter. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Silverback
09-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I like Legursky, just not as a starter. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.
He will.

Psycho Ward 86
09-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Tomlin isn't concerned with Legursky's small frame.

"I don't get into the cookie-cutter mentality as regards to players"

Tomlinism continues to evolve :rofl2:

tube517
09-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Tomlin isn't concerned with Legursky's small frame.

"I don't get into the cookie-cutter mentality as regards to players"

Tomlinism continues to evolve :rofl2:

:chuckle: :huh:

SteelMember
09-01-2011, 04:42 PM
"The Dude's" a worker. He's done well for our team.

ALLD
09-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Sometimes a person's will to succeed exceeds anything on paper which defines him.

Silverback
09-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Sometimes a person's will to succeed exceeds anything on paper which defines him.

Absolutely. Legursky is just a pure athlete. Strong, nimble, and extremely smart and aware on the field. People keep discounting him because of his size. It's absurd. I don't give a damn about the height or weight and all of those other worthless paper stats. If he has proven himself time and time again, especially after having filled in for our pro bowl, rookie center, on the biggest stage of them all and not missing a beat. I don't remember hearing Raji's name announced at all. Unless it was in reference as to how much of a non-factor he was for that game.

Of course, I'm still pissed that Flozell isn't here anymore. So, what do I know?