PDA

View Full Version : Preseason: Week Three Thoughts

Chidi29
08-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Not as good as the notes usually are IMO. Don't have a VCR, hopefully will get that changed soon, so the only way I was able to rewatch the game was through replays on the CW and NFLN (which I get in college and is awesome).

First Half

- Don't have all the kickoffs. Watched the game with friends who didn't have a TV and ended up getting distracted at ponts. Here's what I have.

- Steelers: 3.85 (-5), 3.77 (-8), 4.05 (out EZ), 4.27 (-7 TB)

- Falcons: 3.95 (-2, long return by Brown), 3.86 (5)

- Starting O-line: Gilbert, Kemoeatu, Pouncey, Hills, Colon

- First time I've seen the Bronko package this preseason.

- Good defensive scheme. First series, hook zone by Timmons takes away Roddy White's curl. With just two WRs, Ryan is forced to check down to the FB who gets smashed by Woodley.

- Ran a sweep to Brown.

- Followed that up with a fake sweep, toss in the flats to him. Ben lead him a bit too much.

- Keenan Lewis and William Gay first team gunners.

- Ball hit off TEs head on the Timmons pick.

- Speaking of him, saw him rush coming from the outside at least once.

- Legursky replaced Pouncey at C.

- On the long punt return by Weems. Dockery got out of his lane. He's now out of a job.

- Butler replaced Lewis. Over Curtis Brown, for those keeping score.

- Talk about 0-60 on Brown's TD. Needs to work on the celebration though; was just hanging on the side of the stands.

- Guess he heard me. Much better celebration after his 2nd score.

- Colon a little struggle in pushing end upfield on delayed handoffs.

- Julio Jones beat Gay and Warren on his dropped TD.

- Nice for the team to have experience working the 2 minute. Know Tomlin was putting a big emphasis on situational football this game.

- Warren's tackling yet again solid.

- Redman in front of Brown on KR as Redzone has been in the past.

- Wedge team. David Johnson, Cam Heyward, Larry Foote with the latter breaking off (can't have three man wedges anymore).

- Speaking of the rookie, he's doing a really good job of getting his arms extended and maintaining leverage when pass rushing.

- Suisham is back after his appendectomy.

- Aaron Smith dropped into coverage a few times. At least twice, maybe more.

- Jamie McCoy on first-team punt unti. Mundy as the up back.

- Wrinkle on defense. Double A gap, ILB crossfire blitz. Dropped both OLBs into coverage in case the QB is reading hot, had Harrison rotate to the vacated area in the middle.

- Tomlin said Pouncey's reaggravation is caused by scar tissue being moved around.

- Credit to Matt Ryan again. Continues to make stick throws most QBs can't as he showed against us last year. Out and comebacks are timed perfectly.

- Really were showcasing a ton of blitz looks in the first half. Coming from every position and angle.

- Ran a no back, 5 WR set from under center.

- Ben also looking very accurate.

- Some may think he's slowing down but I still saw Harrison double and triple-teamed at points.

Second Half

- Farrior only defensive starter not to start second half. Actualy think he was out late in the first.

- For the record, the defensive starters were intended on playing the beginning of the 3rd quarter. In his press conference the 25th, Tomlin said whichever side of the ball that came out first in the second half would have its starters out there. Had nothing to do with the way we played.

- Troy reading his keys. Narrow split on each side, he plays the run, and makes the stop.

- Sly flying around on special teams.

- QB sneak by Atlanta on 4th and 1. Ryan went over RG with Hampton still getting set up, over left guard.

- Dockery, Harris first team jammers to start the 2nd half. Moore at PR to start the 2nd hafl.

- 2nd team starting O-line. Essex, Foster, Malecki, C.Scott, Gilbert

- Baraka Atkins with a costly penalty on a punt lining up over center giving Atltana a fresh set of downs. Tomlin did seem to dispute the call.

- Kyle Jolly replaced Gilbert at RT.

- Nice shoutout to Jack Butler by Bob.

- Really hitting hard on defense.

- Essex lucky he wasn't hurt on the Clay fumble. Leg caught under the pile and you could see him cringing.

- Saw Saunders look back at the RB on a run block. Can't do that. Let your back use his vision; he'll figure out where to go.

- Ziggy's hands very active.

- Dockey and Harris got their first reps at CB late in the game.

- Appreciate the respect from Tomlin, but I'm not using a victory formation. Even a few run plays will help.

---------------

Quick breakdown of Hills and Gilbert from the first half. Notes from the series I watched them.

Hills

First - Solid block on Mendenhall TD. Moved DT Vance Walker out of his hole.
Third - Let the DT get inside of him on a pass play. Going to lead to holding calls.
Fourth - Stuffed Lofton on a run blitz.

Gilbert

First - Able to get to the 2nd level and engage. Drove back by Abraham on a sack, lost leverage.
Third - Blocked corner at 2nd level, good arm extension.

Sacks

Tough for me to figure out since I couldn't go back and rewatch. Know Gilbert gave up one like I said above.

Chidi29
08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
QB: Ben, Batch, Dixon (3)

RB: Mendenhall, Redman, Moore, Dwyer (4)

FB: David Johnson (1)

TE: Miller, McCoy (2)

WR: Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Cotchery, Battle (6)

OT: J.Scott, Colon, Gilbert (3)

OG: Kemoeatu, Foster, Hills, Essex (4)

C: Pouncey, Legursky (2)

DE: Smith, Keisel, Hood, Heyward, Corbin Bryant (5)

NT: Hampton, Hoke, (2)

OLB: Harrison, Woodley, Worilds (3)

ILB: Farrior, Timmons, Sylvester, Foote (4)

CB: Taylor, McFadden, Gay, Lewis, Butler, Brown,Warren (7)

S: Polamalu, Clark, Mundy, W.Allen (4)

K: Suisham (1)

P: Sepulevda (1)

LS: Warren (1)

------------

Inactives (Typical)

RB: Dwyer
OL: Gilbert, Foster
DL: Gray, Bryant
CB: Warren
S: Allen

Practice Squad:

WR: Grisham (Think this is last year of eligibility)
TE: Saunders
OL: Keith Williams, Chris Scott
DL: Gray
LB: Carter
CB: Cortez Allen,
S: Cromartie-Smith

Last Three in: McCoy, Butler, Essex

First Three Out: DCS, C.Scott, Carter

-----------

Changes:

Added Jamie McCoy and Crezdon Butler to 53.

Took off Anthony Gray and John Gilmore from 53.

Replaced Leftwich with Dixon.

Put Gray on the PS.

7willBheaven
08-30-2011, 11:01 PM
As far as your roster...

So you think they'll outright cut Dixon and keep an injured Lefty (that who knows when/if he'll be back)?

Not sure about McCoy as the last TE.

DE and OLB...while it may be smart to keep an extra DE...i'm not sure this is a tough one...Bryant VS. McLendon. Also I dont think Carter would make it to the PS...i think he makes the team.

I like the CB picks...S is fine too (though wouldnt be mad if Cro-Smith beat out Allen).

WR they could get rid of Battle and I'd be fine...and then keep that extra DE or OL

I'd personally rather them IR Cortez Allen...as i do not trust him making it to the PS.

Other than that I think your pretty good...Keith Williams and C Scott both showed potential...but i dont think they are there yet either...and hope they both can stick on the PS (unless they keep a 10 OL).

I think that covers all I wanted to say..hahaha

The Duke
08-31-2011, 12:38 AM
As far as your roster...

So you think they'll outright cut Dixon and keep an injured Lefty (that who knows when/if he'll be back)?

I agree

I don't like Dixon either, but Leftwich is not remotely close to good enough to have a roster spot saved for him

Just stick Dixon as the #3 and hope we never have to use him

Chidi29
08-31-2011, 06:36 AM
I totally forogot about Lefty/Dixon. I did this late and I was really tired. I'll make the change.

Chidi29
08-31-2011, 06:40 AM
As far as your roster...

Not sure about McCoy as the last TE.

DE and OLB...while it may be smart to keep an extra DE...i'm not sure this is a tough one...Bryant VS. McLendon. Also I dont think Carter would make it to the PS...i think he makes the team.

I like the CB picks...S is fine too (though wouldnt be mad if Cro-Smith beat out Allen).

WR they could get rid of Battle and I'd be fine...and then keep that extra DE or OL

I'd personally rather them IR Cortez Allen...as i do not trust him making it to the PS.

Other than that I think your pretty good...Keith Williams and C Scott both showed potential...but i dont think they are there yet either...and hope they both can stick on the PS (unless they keep a 10 OL).

I think that covers all I wanted to say..hahaha

The last TE spot is a toss up between Gilmore, McCoy, and Saunders. I saw McCoy out on the first team punt unit and given the need to play special teams if you're going to be on the back end of the roster, he gets the nod.

I just thought Bryant has played well this preseason.

Battle is too valuable for special teams to cut. Even if you think there won't be many kick returns, I'd disagree if that's the case, he is still important on punts, the hands team, all facets of special teams.

st33lersguy
08-31-2011, 01:10 PM
I thought the defense gave up too many passing yards. LeBeau has to stop using the prevent defense and start blitzing more often

Chidi29
08-31-2011, 01:18 PM
I thought the defense gave up too many passing yards. LeBeau has to stop using the prevent defense and start blitzing more often

We blitzed a lot. And Ryan played a lot of small ball against us. That's nothing new.