PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison - "Like he was running in mud"

BlastFurnace
08-29-2011, 12:12 PM
James Harrison - LB - Steelers
Steelers OLB James Harrison admitted he is out of football shape.

Harrison has been limited in practice thanks to his dual offseason back surgeries. In the third preseason game, he couldn't even chase down a scrambling Matt Ryan. "Like he was running in mud," said linebacker coach Keith Butler. At age 33, Harrison's production figures to be on the decline -- especially early in the season.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Aug 29 - 8:38 AM

Chidi29
08-29-2011, 12:16 PM
I noticed that during the game.

Looking at the glass half full, I'd rather it be a result of him being out of shape than his back giving out on him. He can get back into shape. Once your back leaves you,, there's no turning things around.

suitanim
08-29-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because it was preseason. He wasn't "running in mud" on that play, he gave up on it. He figured Ryan was going to run out of bounds, so, instead of altering his angle of pursuit, he just stopped running.

BigPoppaG
08-29-2011, 12:54 PM
He is only saving him self for when it REALLY counts........He wouldn't want to pay a hitting fine during preseason.:thumbsup:

smokin3000gt
08-29-2011, 02:42 PM
It's preseason after a lockout. All these guys are ''running in mud'' (except Brown)

Vis
08-29-2011, 03:28 PM
How has Worilds looked?

Merchant
08-29-2011, 04:57 PM
How has Worilds looked?

He's quick off the edge. That's a positive sign. He needs to work on shedding blocks in run-support.

HometownGal
08-29-2011, 06:09 PM
I have every confidence James will get his groove back and then it's gonna suck to be a QB on the other side of that line. :thumbsup:

86WARD
08-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Not worried a little bit.

Count Steeler
08-29-2011, 06:24 PM
I'll admit it. I am concerned. His age, his operations, his slow recovery. He did look like he was running in mud trying to chase down Matt. I hope he is not an IR casualty this year.

Really hope I'm wrong.

zulater
08-29-2011, 06:53 PM
I wasn't concerned until I read that he's lifting less than half what he normally does. Obviously it's going to be awhile until he's back full tilt.

Steeldude
08-29-2011, 08:07 PM
i am concerned because of the way harrison rushes the passer. he puts a tremendous amount of pressure on his back, sometimes in awkward positions. perhaps they should rest him this next game and re-evaluate him for the first regular season game.

if he can only squat 300 then i think their is still some recovering to do. we know it's not those tree-trunk legs of his having trouble putting up 600.

Steeltreal
08-29-2011, 09:21 PM
If the back limits Harrsion at all this season i think the smartest move would be Timmons at ROLB and let Foote and Sylvester duke it out at MLB. Worilds is not ready and Chris Carters will be lucky to make the PS.

tube517
08-30-2011, 01:18 AM
James will have fines to pay during the season. No worries here.:yup:

Steeldude
08-30-2011, 01:36 AM
If the back limits Harrsion at all this season i think the smartest move would be Timmons at ROLB and let Foote and Sylvester duke it out at MLB. Worilds is not ready and Chris Carters will be lucky to make the PS.

IMO, worilds will do just fine filling in if harrison needs a game or two to heal. he won't be as impressive as harrison. i think he will play about as well as woodley.

The Duke
08-30-2011, 02:06 AM
IMO, worilds will do just fine filling in if harrison needs a game or two to heal. he won't be as impressive as harrison. i think he will play about as well as woodley.

If Harrison misses time Woodley will have to be the one to step up big time

Worilds looks good as a pass rusher, but his overall game is still pretty raw. If we are to survive without James then Woodley has to come close to everything he does. And he just got his big contract so a perfect time to live up to it

Steeldude
08-30-2011, 06:49 AM

Worilds looks good as a pass rusher, but his overall game is still pretty raw. If we are to survive without James then Woodley has to come close to everything he does. And he just got his big contract so a perfect time to live up to it

let's hope he does :thumbsup:

HometownGal
08-30-2011, 07:38 AM

Good post Duke and you nailed it. :thumbsup:

steeldevil
08-30-2011, 01:45 PM
It will be interesting to see what they do about Harrison. If they sit him or not and if they sit him do they move Timmons outside or just throw Worilds out there?

Psycho Ward 86
08-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Or maybe if Harrison goes down they'll swing Timmons back out to OLB like we intended when we drafted him, and stick Foote in at ILB? Significant drop off in all aspects, but i think we'd survive that way, sort of.