PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Colbert promoted to GM

zulater
08-29-2011, 05:29 AM
The Steelers make known their big promotions by saying nothing. They have done that again through their usual means of merely changing a title in their media guide.

Kevin Colbert has been promoted to general manager by the team, becoming the first to hold that title in Steelers history. He held the title of director of football operations since he was hired in 2000, a title Tom Donahoe also held as his predecessor.

The team has had three presidents -- Art Rooney Sr., Dan Rooney and now Art Rooney II -- but never a general manager. The Steelers have had player personnel directors and director of football operations, but never a general manager. Years ago, Dan Rooney was asked why he did not have a general manager as many NFL teams had and he responded, "Because I am the general manager."

That title was never used, however, until now and it was merely slipped into their 2011 media guide, which is available only in digital version at the moment on the team's website.

There also is no elaboration as to the promotion, merely a title change for Colbert and a line in his biography that he is in "his first year as the team's general manager." That is the same way the Steelers announced that Art Rooney II had succeeded his father Dan as team president, and the same way they announced that Dan Rooney had succeeded his father Art Sr. as team president.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11241/1170661-66.stm#ixzz1WPdE8KB9

Chidi29
08-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Congrats to Kevin! He deserves it!

Vis
08-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Did his job change in any way?

HometownGal
08-29-2011, 07:29 AM
A well deserved promotion! :applaudit: Congrats Kevin! :drink:

fansince'76
08-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Congrats to Colbert! :drink:

X-Terminator
08-29-2011, 07:59 AM

I would think not - he already does just about everything a GM does, only he now has the title.

Congrats, Kevin! A well-deserved promotion!

86WARD
08-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Congrats!! Well deserved...

Vis
08-29-2011, 08:17 AM
I would think not - he already does just about everything a GM does, only he now has the title.

Congrats, Kevin! A well-deserved promotion!

I hope they bumped his pay

Count Steeler
08-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Congrats Kevin. How about an interview with the best Steelers web site around? Perry?

BigNastyDefense
08-29-2011, 10:41 AM
He's been doing all the things a GM does. And this won't change anything, in the end if the Rooneys say no to signing a free agent or drafting a player...then he will do what the Rooneys tell him.

86WARD
08-29-2011, 12:28 PM
What about Omar...where's his love?

zulater
08-29-2011, 12:44 PM

Actually it might. I wouldn't be surprised if he is assigned more league responsibilities. Also I would imagine he's probably getting a bigger check, and will be afforded more respect at league meetings by his peers. Plus this will make it harder for other teams to attempt to poach him from the Steelers. As it was before a team could approach him with the offer of a GM job and the Steelers wouldn't have been in a position to deny them permission to speak with Kevin without looking like douches. Now it would be viewed as a parallel move by the league, thus the Steelers could shut it down before it goes anywhere. So while his duties will probably change little, if at all, this was a significant move by the Steelers and should assure Kevin's stay in Pittsburgh will be a long one.

smokin3000gt
08-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Great move by the Steelers!

Psycho Ward 86
08-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Congratz, but i dont understand, does he do anything different now?

Craic
08-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Actually it might. I wouldn't be surprised if he is assigned more league responsibilities. Also I would imagine he's probably getting a bigger check, and will be afforded more respect at league meetings by his peers. Plus this will make it harder for other teams to attempt to poach him from the Steelers. As it was before a team could approach him with the offer of a GM job and the Steelers wouldn't have been in a position to deny them permission to speak with Kevin without looking like douches. Now it would be viewed as a parallel move by the league, thus the Steelers could shut it down before it goes anywhere. So while his duties will probably change little, if at all, this was a significant move by the Steelers and should assure Kevin's stay in Pittsburgh will be a long one.

Excellent explanation.

Edman
08-29-2011, 03:32 PM
How does it feel to be "promoted" to a position in a company that never existed until now?

Colbert was essentially a GM. He never held the title and the Steelers never had a GM before.

Now he officially has the title. Congrats to Kevin Colbert.

X-Terminator
08-29-2011, 03:43 PM

Good points. Didn't he agree to a contract extension this past offseason, or last? If so, this has probably been in the works for a while now and was the reason why he decided to stay with the organization.

BigNastyDefense
08-29-2011, 05:09 PM
I wonder if they felt that Cowher was getting the itch to come back and was going to try to make himself and Colbert a package deal