PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich may return this season

stillers4me
08-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Byron Leftwich's broken left arm may not cause him to miss the entire 2011 season, though it has not been determined how long he will be out, a source told the Post-Gazette...........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11240/1170594-100.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

salamander
08-28-2011, 07:36 PM
That just looked ugly. He was definitely in A LOT of pain.

stillers4me
08-28-2011, 07:38 PM
My son broke his leg last month and had surgery on it. Trust me, Lefty is on some good drugs today. :chuckle:

zulater
08-28-2011, 07:39 PM
If he can be back and ready by mid October or earlier then don't IR him. He's far and away our best back-up if Ben goes down.

salamander
08-28-2011, 07:41 PM
If there is a positive to this it's that he didn't break his throwing arm.

vader29
08-28-2011, 08:32 PM
If there is a positive to this it's that he didn't break his throwing arm.

Yep, if it was his throwing arm his career would most likely be over. Hopefully he is able to come back this year, I always liked Lefty going back to his beginnings with Jacksonville.

Count Steeler
08-28-2011, 09:08 PM
The silver lining in this dark cloud. If he can be ready by end of Oct., may be wise to leave a roster spot for him.

7willBheaven
08-28-2011, 09:16 PM
The only bad thing about leaving him on the roster...what position do you short a player to keep 4 QBs on the roster? Spots are so valuable...I'd hate to loose a young CB/OL or whatever just to keep him on the sidelines doing nothing.

zulater
08-28-2011, 09:32 PM
The only bad thing about leaving him on the roster...what position do you short a player to keep 4 QBs on the roster? Spots are so valuable...I'd hate to loose a young CB/OL or whatever just to keep him on the sidelines doing nothing.

I'd cut Dixon and just go with Ben and Batch until Leftwich is ready to return. If Batch gets hurt Dixon or someone better or near his equal will be out there to be signed.

BlastFurnace
08-28-2011, 09:40 PM
There was also speculation about Smith last year, Troy the year before....we've heard it before.

I don't see how Leftwich can play again this year if he broke his arm. Put him on IR and be done with it.

vader29
08-28-2011, 10:17 PM
I'd cut Dixon and just go with Ben and Batch until Leftwich is ready to return. If Batch gets hurt Dixon or someone better or near his equal will be out there to be signed.

Favre might even be still be available! :heh:

Merchant
08-28-2011, 10:24 PM
This isn't Aaron Smith. He's not good enough to save a spot for in my opinion. Dixon and Batch are capable backups. We're fine with them.

7willBheaven
08-28-2011, 11:11 PM
There was also speculation about Smith last year, Troy the year before....we've heard it before.

I don't see how Leftwich can play again this year if he broke his arm. Put him on IR and be done with it.

I was getting ready to mention Smith as an example and how that turned out.

The Duke
08-28-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm sorry but I have seen enough Leftwich injuries through the years to be able to trust him

he's made of glass. Batch's not much better, but he's healthy now and Lefty isn't. Just put him on IR

hope we draft some guy next year. Draft looks deeper on mid round prospects

Craic
08-29-2011, 01:42 AM
If Lefty could stay healthy, he'd be an excellent number 2 for us. But at this point, I think I'm at the same place with him I was with Willie P. Too many injuries means you're just not reliable. I say pay him and release him.

oneforthetoe
08-29-2011, 02:05 AM
I'd cut Dixon and just go with Ben and Batch until Leftwich is ready to return. When Batch gets hurt [by a 30 mph gust of wind] Dixon or someone better or near his equal will be out there to be signed.

I fixed your quote

SteelerFanInStl
08-29-2011, 09:13 AM

Agreed. With as fragile as Batch is, we need Dixon also. Lefty needs to go on IR. I don't want him wasting a roster spot that forces us to cut another young player.

BigNastyDefense
08-29-2011, 10:44 AM
I say put him on IR and pay him and cut him. No team will sign him until his arm heals, and then when that happens we can always resign him and then cut Batch or Dixon to make room for him.

I just don't see the point in cutting a young player to keep a guy who may end up not playing at all if there are complications with the healing of his arm.

HollywoodSteel
08-29-2011, 11:16 AM
They can put him on the PUP list without burning a roster spot. If he's ready after the six weeks, you cut one of the other QBs, if he's not you IR Lefty.

86WARD
08-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Two words:

Thaddeus Gibson.

Moral of the story? No roster spot for Byron.

zulater
08-29-2011, 12:53 PM
They can put him on the PUP list without burning a roster spot. If he's ready after the six weeks, you cut one of the other QBs, if he's not you IR Lefty.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! :applaudit: Sounds good to me, and if that option's available I can't see why they ( Steelers) wouldn't do that very things.

Vis
08-29-2011, 01:42 PM

Only players injured at the start of camp are eligible for the PUP list. If you're on the active roster and injured at camp you can't be put on the list.

tube517
08-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Batch is already hurt. He snapped the clipboard on his finger. Just bring back Tee Martin.

HollywoodSteel
08-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Only players injured at the start of camp are eligible for the PUP list. If you're on the active roster and injured at camp you can't be put on the list.

Vis is right. I was mistaken. I forgot that this was the rule.

ALLD
08-29-2011, 06:47 PM
IR, stop playing around.

KeiselPower99
08-29-2011, 08:33 PM
If we can get a trade for DIxon then do it and practice squad a guy until he is ready to return.