PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert and Hills / Young CBs

7willBheaven
08-28-2011, 12:59 PM
I was wondering what some of the "experts" (and non-experts) around here thought of their play last night.

I thought both Gilbert and Hills played really well myself and will only get better with time.

I think same could be said for Lewis and Butler...Lewis was doing pretty good until he got hurt. And Butlers INT and run back was nice...and did anyone else notice on the return that Heyward was running right there with him? I thought that was a nice little "something extra" so to speak and good to see the big man hustle like that. We really didnt get to see much of Brown and Warren last night...and i think we've yet to see Dockery or Harris play anything but special teams. Hopefully during this last PS game we can see a lot more of the young guys.

Both OL and CB should be interesting come final cuts...

Edman
08-28-2011, 02:08 PM
The young CB's have finally showed up in this preseason. Certainly showing more than Willie Gay. Gay was already in midseason form last night missing tackles and being out of position. Keenan Lewis was looking solid for two games now until he banged his knee breaking up the pass in the endzone. Butler had a good game last night as well.

The Duke
08-28-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm beggining to think either Gay or BMac might not be here come week 1

the young guys haven't been spectacular, but they are much improved. McFadden's not helping his case with not playing at all....

oneforthetoe
08-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Certainly some of the young cb's have started to step up a little. However, there is no way I see the Steelers letting BMac go. We know the most important thing to coach Lebeau is having his cb's in position to prevent big plays. It takes time and experience to be able to do that in his defences. If one of our young dbs had played just a little better maybe Gay would have been gone, but even there, "coach dad" likes experience.

The best we might expect from our young dbs would be for one of them to beat out Gay as the nickle back. And I don't think that will be as easy as some think.

HollywoodSteel
08-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Db is the one area where I'm really curious to see how the final roster shakes out. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure every other position is pretty much a no brainer.

As was mentioned above, I can't see the Steelers actually cutting BMac or Gay. Is this how it ends up?

Cornerbacks (7): Taylor, McFadden, William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen, Crezdon Butler.

Safeties (4): Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Will Allen, Ryan Mundy.

If not, who gets bounced for whom?

7willBheaven
08-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Db is the one area where I'm really curious to see how the final roster shakes out. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure every other position is pretty much a no brainer.

As was mentioned above, I can't see the Steelers actually cutting BMac or Gay. Is this how it ends up?

Cornerbacks (7): Taylor, McFadden, William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen, Crezdon Butler.

Safeties (4): Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Will Allen, Ryan Mundy.

If not, who gets bounced for whom?

I could personally also see them IR-ing C. Allen...since he hasnt played in any game...that way they get to keep him (and not loose him trying to put him on the PS) and he gets to learn throughout the year. That would knock it down to the usual 6 they keep...if they keep a 7th it could be D. Warren who i think has earned a legit shot.

Psycho Ward 86
08-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Whaaat. Gilbert got raped by Abraham most of the first half. No shame in that as a rookie though, i hope he gets quicker feet if we need him for the long run!

Chidi29
08-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Dockery and Harris did briefly play on defense late in the game.

Chidi29
08-28-2011, 03:44 PM
The young CB's have finally showed up in this preseason. Certainly showing more than Willie Gay. Gay was already in midseason form last night missing tackles and being out of position. Keenan Lewis was looking solid for two games now until he banged his knee breaking up the pass in the endzone. Butler had a good game last night as well.

You mean like what Lewis did the play before he was hurt? Blowing coverage leaving Roddy White wide open.

Aussie_steeler
08-28-2011, 04:00 PM
You mean like what Lewis did the play before he was hurt? Blowing coverage leaving Roddy White wide open.

Posted on another board. Cannot post a useable link as it is to Scout.com Insider.

From M.Prisuta:

Lewis, by the way, wasn’t at fault on the 22-yard gain to the Steelers’ 5-yard line to an uncovered Roddy White.

It was zone coverage and William Gay was the guy who wasn’t where he should have

Keenan Lewis looks like he is the new Limas Sweed for the steeler faithful.
You either love him or hate him.
Doesnt appear to be much room in the middle for tolerance.

86WARD
08-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Gay and Warren were torched by Julio Jones for what should've been a TD if not for Jones dropping it...

Chidi29
08-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Posted on another board. Cannot post a useable link as it is to Scout.com Insider.

Keenan Lewis looks like he is the new Limas Sweed for the steeler faithful.
You either love him or hate him.
Doesnt appear to be much room in the middle for tolerance.

I'm gunna have to take another look at that because I'm pretty sure Lewis was the outside corner and the throw came down the sideline.

Edman
08-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Yes, Keenan Lewis certainly is the next Lima Bean. It's not like Lima Bean didn't do anything, while Lewis is showing he can at least do something.

Iron Steeler
08-28-2011, 06:20 PM
I want to see butler beat out william gay for the nickel spot.. and curtis brown get in the mix.. Brown is raw but has unbelievable explosiveness

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-28-2011, 06:46 PM
I want to see butler beat out william gay for the nickel spot.. and curtis brown get in the mix.. Brown is raw but has unbelievable explosiveness

Honestly, I think Butler might be the odd guy out. I hope somebody beats out Gay, because I think that at this point, Keenan Lewis and Donovan Warren are better than him with more upside.

I wouldnt mind seeing. Taylor, McFadden, Lewis, Warren, Brown, Allen as the 6 CB's and try to put Butler on the PS.

Pristas
08-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Honestly, I think Butler might be the odd guy out. I hope somebody beats out Gay, because I think that at this point, Keenan Lewis and Donovan Warren are better than him with more upside.

I wouldnt mind seeing. Taylor, McFadden, Lewis, Warren, Brown, Allen as the 6 CB's and try to put Butler on the PS.

After his performance last night, if Butler goes to the PS, he'll get picked up with another team. Decent CBs are too hard to come by. It will be another T Gibson situation.

Iron Steeler
08-29-2011, 05:56 AM
No way Gonzo! Butler is my boy... he needs one more good game thurs and he's in. Ill be so upset if butler is odd man out

7willBheaven
08-29-2011, 11:16 AM
No thoughts on Gilbert/Hills? I know some of you have already re-watched the game and all haha...

suitanim
08-29-2011, 12:06 PM
I thought Hills looked good. There were a couple plays where he just totally blew up the DT. Gilbert was a little more suspect, but I don't expect him to look like a Pro Bowler in just his second game.

One correction on that Keenan Lewis flub. He should have come out of the game when he injured his leg. The next play wasn't his fault as his leg collapsed under him, but it IS his fault for not leaving the game when he could barely walk, let alone run.

Chidi29
08-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I thought Hills looked good. There were a couple plays where he just totally blew up the DT. Gilbert was a little more suspect, but I don't expect him to look like a Pro Bowler in just his second game.

One correction on that Keenan Lewis flub. He should have come out of the game when he injured his leg. The next play wasn't his fault as his leg collapsed under him, but it IS his fault for not leaving the game when he could barely walk, let alone run.

It was tough for me to tell, currently don't have a working VCR so I can't go back and rewatch it, but I don't think Lewis had much of a choice. We were near our own end zone with the Steelers' sideline far away. By the time he's able to hobble (like you said, could barely walk) off the field, notify he's hurt, and get a replacement down the field, know the play, get lined up, and be able to read his keys, the Falcons would've already snapped the ball. I don't believe they made a substution, they were still in a 4 WR set that play, meaning they have no obligation to allow the defense time to make their own changes.

sactownsteeler
08-29-2011, 12:16 PM
I didn't think Gilbert looked that bad. His first start no ota's and missed time to injury in camp and come on he was going against an all pro DE is first start and Abraham blew up all pro LT's his whole career so considering he gave up just a sack and played decent is a good start. I'm not saying he's a stud but there is definitely a lot of potential there.

steeldevil
08-29-2011, 12:21 PM
It was tough for me to tell, currently don't have a working VCR so I can't go back and rewatch it, but I don't think Lewis had much of a choice. We were near our own end zone with the Steelers' sideline far away. By the time he's able to hobble (like you said, could barely walk) off the field, notify he's hurt, and get a replacement down the field, know the play, get lined up, and be able to read his keys, the Falcons would've already snapped the ball. I don't believe they made a substution, they were still in a 4 WR set that play, meaning they have no obligation to allow the defense time to make their own changes.

Thats why if you are hurt you just go down to the ground. The refs will stop the game so you can get off and get some one else in there. The reason he didn't is because he thought going off for injury may decrease his chance to make the team. Thats my guess anyway.

Chidi29
08-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Thats why if you are hurt you just go down to the ground. The refs will stop the game so you can get off and get some one else in there. The reason he didn't is because he thought going off for injury may decrease his chance to make the team. Thats my guess anyway.

That's true. Maybe he thought he could just play through it and by the time he realized he couldn't, it was too late.

suitanim
08-29-2011, 12:37 PM
It literally happened right in front of me. He had his leg rolled up on, and he got up, tried to shake it off, but instead of it getting a little easier for him to walk on, it got worse. If he'd have just gone down on one knee, they would have stopped play. I'm not going to be too hard on him, because I'm sure he's trying to impress and show moxy and toughness, but in this particular case he should have just listened to his body. You could tell from his body language during the play and right after that he was hurt pretty badly. Not injured, per se, but hurting...