PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Overrated? Ray Rice Overrated?

kielbasasteeler
06-25-2010, 09:12 AM
One of the greatest threads I have ever read.

http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/Baltimore-Ravens-OVERRA-t41859.html

Now onto the Ray Rice heading.

Ray Rice. Hailed as one of the best running backs in the league.

He played 16 games, rushed for 1,339 yards and had 7 touchdowns. fumbled 3 times.

Now onto Rashard Mendenhall.

Did not start 3 games. Rushed for 1,108 yards and also had 7 touchdowns and had 3 fumbles.

So what's the big deal about Ray Rice, he had a much better O-Line than Pittsburgh's yet was just about 200 odd so yards more than Mendenhall.

Psycho Ward 86
06-25-2010, 09:40 AM
That was a horrible thread, what are you talking about. Put your homerism away. You forgot to mention a very gaudy 5.3 YPC and 78 receptions. The guy makes some reasonable points, but most of it is rubbish, especially his knock on the Ravens drafting skills :rofl2:.

Really, who in their right mind questions Ozzie Newsome's ability to find talent?

fansince'76
06-25-2010, 09:43 AM
That was a horrible thread, what are you talking about. Put your homerism away. You forgot to mention a very gaudy 5.3 YPC and 78 receptions.

This. Hate to say it, but Rice is gonna be a thorn in our side for YEARS to come, I'm afraid.

klick81
06-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Did you happen to see Rice destroy the Steelers' hopes of taking the W last year I believe? The kid is talented, and has a whole lotta upside IMO.

The Duke
06-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Baltimore, yeah. I mean common, stallworth??

Rice, no way, he is the real deal

This. Hate to say it, but Rice is gonna be a thorn in our side for YEARS to come, I'm afraid.

Yep, only raven I truly fear....

As for their draft, nothing can be argued about their draft, or anyone else for that matter, when the season, let alone training camp, hasn't even begun

steelerdude15
06-25-2010, 10:30 AM
When it comes down to it, Ray Rice is the future of the Ravens offense and I've been saying that for a year now. Rice is a dual threat in being a running back while also having the ability to catch the ball. Even though Flacco is good, he is not the future of the Ravens offense, will he be a big factor, yes, but it's Rice's time to shine. There defense is aging, just like ours, but will be a good defense, just like ours. Do I think that the Ravens are overrated, no and do I think Rice is overrated, no. Bottom line, they're getting better and they're going to be a contender in the playoffs this year. When it comes down the AFC North, it's either going to be the Steelers or the Ravens who are going to be the conference champs.

CantStop85
06-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Not only has Ray Rice proved to be the better runner this far, he also led all NFL running backs in receiving yards with almost 200 more than 2nd place Chris Johnson.

The AFC North has 4 great running backs, but Ray Rice is definitely on top at the moment.

The Ravens are being over-hyped, but it's not because of Ray Rice.

Devilsdancefloor
06-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Ray rice is a very good RB as hard as it is to say i really think he is at this time better then Rushard, But i am hoping they put frank the tank in front of mendy and he has a outstanding year.

kielbasasteeler
06-25-2010, 01:36 PM
I never said receiving i said running back. I would pick chris johnson receiving over Ray Rice recieving.

Really baltimores drafts????

Lets take a look at busts.

2003 1ST ROUND PICK - Kyle Boller
2005 1ST ROUND PICK - Mark Clayton
2000 1ST ROUND PICK - Travis Taylor

Alot of busts they had in their period of 2000. We scored home runs on all of ours.

And Flacco isn't a clutch QB, lol so we will later add him to the list. He will be like Carson Palmer, a good qb but not a super bowl winning qb.

Sergio Kindle has MAJOR concerns with his knee. At the rate Bruce Arians offense will be, Mendenhall will have 70000 reciving yards in two years.

Ray Rice will tire out after his production, what is it he was like 65% of ravens offense last year.

If we get a linebacker like Bruce Carter (N Carolina) to cover Ray Rice we will be fine, look at Farrior he's a great run stopper still but he struggled covering Rice, that should of been timmons.

Let's look at our Draft picks of those bust years

2003 1ST ROUND PICK - Troy Polamalu
2005 1ST ROUND PICK - Heath Miller
2000 1ST ROUND PICK - Plaxico Burress

When they took Ray Lewis and jonathan ogden 1996, we took Jamain Stepehns (note we were picking 29th, lewis was 26th and ogden was 4th)

When they took ed reed in 2004 we took Kendall simmons.

It could be argued yes Ed Reed was a superior pick, we got a great offensive lineman for a few years and a year later we got a safety better than reed.

But after we picked a future hall of famer in polamalu they picked a year later Mark Clayton (note 2004 they did not have no pick)

They have had about 4 good picks in the last what 14 years of that franchise.... all their other picks have been what ... average

of course their is todd heap, jamie sharper and lineman but so have we....

tell me our drafts arnt more superior

2000 plaxico burress
2001 casey hampton
2002 kendall simmons
2003 troy polamalu
2004 ben roethlisberger
2005 heath miller
2006 santonio holmes
2007 lawrence timmons
2008 rashard mendenhall
2009 evander hood
2010 maurkice pouncey

The Duke
06-25-2010, 03:50 PM
I would pick chris johnson receiving over Ray Rice recieving.

And Flacco isn't a clutch QB, lol so we will later add him to the list. He will be like Carson Palmer, a good qb but not a super bowl winning qb.

Sergio Kindle has MAJOR concerns with his knee. At the rate Bruce Arians offense will be, Mendenhall will have 70000 reciving yards in two years.

Ray Rice will tire out after his production, what is it he was like 65% of ravens offense last year.

If we get a linebacker like Bruce Carter (N Carolina) to cover Ray Rice we will be fine, look at Farrior he's a great run stopper still but he struggled covering Rice, that should of been timmons.

All this are opinions and things you think will happen. None is a fact

You forgot to mention they have built a very nice offensive line mainly through the draft. And Ngata is a beast

Seriously man, I hate defending the ravens, or any other team, but their draft have been very good lately. Now, their free agents acquisitions, like thinking stallworth is actually worth something is laughable

CantStop85
06-25-2010, 03:52 PM
I never said receiving i said running back.
OK? Ray Rice was better at running the ball than Mendenhall as well.

I would pick chris johnson receiving over Ray Rice recieving.

OK...so you're saying Ray Rice is the second best pass-catching back in the NFL? I'm not sure how you're helping your argument there.

Really baltimores drafts????

Lets take a look at busts.

2003 1ST ROUND PICK - Kyle Boller
2005 1ST ROUND PICK - Mark Clayton
2000 1ST ROUND PICK - Travis Taylor

Alot of busts they had in their period of 2000. We scored home runs on all of ours.

Let's look at our Draft picks of those bust years

2003 1ST ROUND PICK - Troy Polamalu
2005 1ST ROUND PICK - Heath Miller
2000 1ST ROUND PICK - Plaxico Burress

When they took Ray Lewis and jonathan ogden 1996, we took Jamain Stepehns (note we were picking 29th, lewis was 26th and ogden was 4th)

When they took ed reed in 2004 we took Kendall simmons.

It could be argued yes Ed Reed was a superior pick, we got a great offensive lineman for a few years and a year later we got a safety better than reed.

But after we picked a future hall of famer in polamalu they picked a year later Mark Clayton (note 2004 they did not have no pick)

They have had about 4 good picks in the last what 14 years of that franchise.... all their other picks have been what ... average

of course their is todd heap, jamie sharper and lineman but so have we....

tell me our drafts arnt more superior

2000 plaxico burress
2001 casey hampton
2002 kendall simmons
2003 troy polamalu
2004 ben roethlisberger
2005 heath miller
2006 santonio holmes
2007 lawrence timmons
2008 rashard mendenhall
2009 evander hood
2010 maurkice pouncey
I'm not entirely sure why you're arguing about the Ravens and Steelers' draft histories...I thought you started this thread to explain why Ray Rice and the 2010 Ravens are overrated? Can you expand on your logic for me?

ALLD
06-25-2010, 04:37 PM
The Ravens lost their DC to the Jets. Flacco is way wayyyyyy overrated so much that they brought in a back up named Bulger and paid him more.

kielbasasteeler
06-25-2010, 05:26 PM
@CantStop85 (http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/member.php?53-CantStop85)

someone said u cant argue against newsome draft history.

i listed 3 busts in 6 years. no thanks he's had some good drafts, but it shows he cant see talent in receiver.

Psycho Ward 86
06-25-2010, 05:30 PM
You have to look a lot deeper than a couple of 1st round picks to judge Ozzie's drafting ability. They've picked up more contributing than us in recent years.

2 of the best drafting teams lie in the AFC North.

BuddhaBus
06-25-2010, 05:36 PM
:mod::mod::mod::mod:

MOVE ALONG! NOTHING TO SEE HERE!

suitanim
06-25-2010, 07:03 PM
I disagree with only one thing in particular here....when I watch Rice run, I see a bulldozer. He's big and strong, and he gets a lot of abuse. Mendenhall is a different type of runner. Yes, he can run for power, but he has lighter feet and has more dimensions to his game. I could see Mendy having a ten year NFL career and Rice not making it more than 6....just based on the history of big backs. Da Bus was an insane anomaly....the rarest of the rare.

As far as Baltirats being overrated? Of course they are overrated...

steeldevil
06-26-2010, 12:24 AM
The 2010 Ravens are a little overrated... Ray Rice is in no way overrated

Edman
06-26-2010, 01:14 AM
The 2010 Ravens are getting a lot more hype than warranted, but it's not because of Mr. Rice. Rice is the real deal. He singlehandedly beat the Pats in the Playoffs last year.

As far as it stands, the Rats have their next Jamal Lewis.

kielbasasteeler
06-26-2010, 01:57 AM
I disagree with only one thing in particular here....when I watch Rice run, I see a bulldozer. He's big and strong, and he gets a lot of abuse. Mendenhall is a different type of runner. Yes, he can run for power, but he has lighter feet and has more dimensions to his game. I could see Mendy having a ten year NFL career and Rice not making it more than 6....just based on the history of big backs. Da Bus was an insane anomaly....the rarest of the rare.

As far as Baltirats being overrated? Of course they are overrated...

I agree Rice will have a very short career. Especially since Baltimore backs are aware of going over the middle against pittsburgh safeties.

BTW What the heck is your avatar??????

solardave
06-26-2010, 03:52 AM
:mod::mod::mod::mod:

MOVE ALONG! NOTHING TO SEE HERE!

Mods, I thought this was the Steeler thread, not the Ratbirds.

Galax Steeler
06-26-2010, 04:58 AM
It could be argued but the fact is you can't take nothing from Rice he is a good running back weather people like it or not. Just because he plays for Baltimore doesn't mean he is not a good back. If he played for the Steelers would we even arguing this point we would be saying Mendy who that is just the way it works.

Nadroj 20
06-26-2010, 07:43 AM
No doubt Ray Rice is the real deal, and it makes me sick to think about him being a real pain in the ass everytime he plays the steelers. So as many others have said so far Ray Rice is NOT overrated. He is a very good player.

The Ravens as a team are a little over rated imo. We will see. I can see this division coming down to them and us, so you never know.

kielbasasteeler
06-26-2010, 08:18 AM
I don't think we will go to the playoffs this year.

We will draft Rahim Moore and his 10 interceptions and then we will go to the playoffs next year.

sherlock
06-27-2010, 03:42 AM
The Ravens are a good team in all areas.
Just don't like no.52,although he had a pretty good last season,better than the previous one.

Crow-Magnon
06-27-2010, 07:01 AM
The 2010 Ravens are a little overrated... Ray Rice is in no way overrated

I'll agree with this assessment.