PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Steelers' great advantage

stillers4me
08-28-2011, 07:47 AM
In Cleveland, new head coach/offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur is busy teaching his offense to second-year quarterback Colt McCoy.

In Cincinnati, new offensive coordinator Jay Gruden started from scratch about a month ago with rookie quarterback Andy Dalton.

Similar scenes unfold all over the post-lockout NFL, where the work stoppage killed formalized offseason workouts. Half the league is on training wheels.

It's different here............

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/columnists/starkey/s_753882.html

GBMelBlount
08-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Nice read. So true.

It is amazing how the Steelers have such a simple "blueprint" for long term success and few other teams seem to "get it".

stillers4me
08-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Here, veteran offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has reached the point where he believes eighth-year quarterback Ben Roethlisberger — who connected with Antonio Brown on touchdowns of 77 and 44 yards in the second quarter — could run the offense without him.

"I would feel comfortable with him going out and calling the plays in all phases, not just the spread offense," Arians said. "The only question is how he would substitute players without signals.

"Yeah, he could take a game plan and execute it perfectly right now."

So while Gruden is tutoring Dalton through football kindergarten, Roethlisberger is working on his Ph.D. -- and even picking Professor LeBeau's brain on how opponents might attack him this season.