PDA

View Full Version : Steelers seek total package at tight end

Galax Steeler
08-26-2011, 07:40 AM
PITTSBURGH - When the Steelers paraded veteran tight ends Daniel Graham, Reggie Kelly and John Gilmore through training camp, many figured the team was looking for someone to play the primary backup role behind starter Heath Miller.

Despite the signing of Gilmore, a 10-year veteran, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Wednesday there has never been any doubt who Miller's primary backup will be.

David Johnson has served as an H-back with the Steelers in his first two seasons, behind Miller second-stringer Matt Spaeth, filling in more as a fullback than a tight end. But after Spaeth signed as a free agent with Chicago, Arians felt Johnson was ready to fill a bigger role.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/08-25-2011-Steelers-tight-ends

86WARD
08-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Saunders!

steelreserve
08-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Well, at least Spaeth is out of there. He can go be useless somewhere else as far as I'm concerned.

sactownsteeler
08-27-2011, 03:27 PM
I hope Saunders will be a beast for us like in college if he can block and catch better than spaeth that's a huge upgrade for us!

Chidi29
08-27-2011, 04:59 PM
At backup TE, you're not going to find any "total packages" at TE. You're getting niches, typically blocking types. Anyone who is a total package isn't going to be found on the waiver wire.

I like Saunders' upside, but I doubt he'll even make the team. He's got a long way to go as a blocker and hasn't been used in a 3 point all that much. I'm looking for a strong blocker when I use 2/3 TE power sets and he doesn't fit the bill.