PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Big Ben's unique talent

stillers4me
08-25-2011, 05:13 AM
What's he do on his worst days? That's what I want to know about a quarterback.

Ben Roethlisberger often wins on his worst days. He also has the best definition of quarterback toughness I've heard, one sure to send stats geeks running to their hard drives to see if it fits into one of their unfathomable formulas.

We broach the topic because it's that time of year — time for everybody to rank the quarterbacks. I don't know if Roethlisberger deserves to be ranked first, but I know this: He belongs in the conversation.
He agrees, as he should.............

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_753309.html

VTsteel
08-25-2011, 11:31 AM
. . . "I think every quarterback should believe they're the best," Roethlisberger said. "Do I think there are better quarterbacks than me? Possibly. But would I take anyone else with the ball in their hands at the end of the game? I don't think so."

Me either!

tube517
08-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Toughness is playing the worst game of your life but not backing down. Down 21 points and the defense is getting through, and you throw three interceptions. Staying in that game, keeping your head up, trying to drive your team when everything's going wrong — that's the kind of toughness I want in my quarterback."

Read more: Starkey: Big Ben's unique talent - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_753309.html#ixzz1W3ufC8wb

Iron Steeler
08-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Wow good read good rebuttal ... ben will never get credit. If he rips off 30+ fda this year mark my words its because his Wes are so talented

suitanim
08-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Pah! REAL talent is siting behind a great offensive line, and having rules specifically placed to protect YOU from getting touched, and completing 65% of your 7-11 yard pass attempts and sitting back and watching the receivers turn those into 65 yard TD's, possibly with the benefit of actually knowing the defensive calls (via stolen hand signal or radio frequency interception) before the snap.

crcsnail
08-25-2011, 12:59 PM
that was one of the best reads . nice post :)

siss
08-25-2011, 01:04 PM
I take Ben as my quarterback everyday of the week, twice on sundays, Three times on monday night football and four times on monday night football against the Ravens.
I take Ben in cold weather, a snow storm, a monsoon and when its 102 outside.
I take Ben with a broken foot, nose or bent up knee.
Stats geeks can kiss my ass and Ben's 2 super bowl rings!
Go Steelers and God bless the Rooney's for drafting Ben!

SteelerFanInStl
08-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Good article. Ben will never get the credit that he deserves because he's unconventional and hasn't put up huge stat numbers. It drives me nuts when people say that Philip Rivers is a better QB than Ben. The bottom line is that Ben is a WINNER. He gets it done no matter what. He doesn't whine to the officials or yell at his teammates. He's a leader. In my book, he's the #1 guy that I want leading my team.

steel striker
08-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Like many have have said it does not matter how you do it as long as you win. Ben has a knack of winning big games no matter what the situation is. With the game on the line there is no one else i want leading this team.

Count Steeler
08-25-2011, 04:37 PM
NFL doesn't like Ben, fine. He is ours, he belongs to Steeler Nation and everyone else can go dream of winning a Super Bowl, while Ben leads us to another one. Stats shmats. Although, even statistically Ben is a beast. Let's face it, everyone has Ben envy/jealousy. A rough tough quarterback that wins.

Pristas
08-25-2011, 05:12 PM
That's the best article I've read on QBs. Every word of it is true, even if I dislike Peter King. What other QB could have held off Suggs on that play? Ben is a difference maker, and that's the difference. You can quote me on that.

O'Malley
08-25-2011, 10:23 PM
But Ben has one of the greatest defenses ever...:monkey: That is what they always say.. Ben also has as many perfect passer rating games as Peyton Manning(stat I could not care less about). Ben is up there with fourth quarter comebacks(stat that I actually care about that holds a ton of weight). Ben has two rings and counting.... When he was drafted I said to myself finally a proto-typical Qb.. Then I saw him play, and I saw him win, and I said prot-typical my ass... I've never seen a Qb that plays the game like Ben.. The guy is tough as nails and he's a winner... This year he found out how to be a leader and now he's really dangerous!!!!!!!