PDA

View Full Version : The ‘Defenseless Player’ Rule: Making the QB a Danger to the Defense

stillers4me
08-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Some of the ‘defenseless player’ rule makes sense. Most does not. What should be called the ‘offensive player advantage’ rule, every single part of that rule goes in favor of the offensive player. Ok, fine. You want to stop receivers from getting mauled while trying to haul in a pass, and you want to stop excessive hits on a player who’s clearly out of the play (on the ground, etc.). But the ‘protections’ of quarterbacks have gone too far, and Michael Vick gave us Exhibit A last Thursday night..............

Read more @ http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/08/23/the-defenseless-player-rule-making-the-qb-a-danger-to-the-defense/

JayC
08-24-2011, 08:21 PM
thats a bullcrap rule. for example the james harrison td in the superbowl might not have happen if we weren't able to block kurt warner. commish strikes again

Pristas
08-24-2011, 08:29 PM
I agree 100%. If Vick is considered "untouchable" by league rules, then he should leave the field as soon as there is a change of possession. That's bullshit that no one can lay him out for the return of the interception. In reality, that should be his punishment for throwing into triple or quadruple coverage. Dumbass. But we don't live in a league of logic and reason, now do we? Fuck Goodell.

GBMelBlount
08-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Here is a huge problem with the part of the defenseless player rule that includes QB’s and kickers. The rule states that you aren’t really allowed to hit/block a QB or kicker when there is a change in possession. Seems like a petty ‘baby’ rule to most of us. But, it has turned the QB and kicker into dangerous players themselves. As you can see in the video Vick comes in untouched. If you watch closely enough, you can see Pittman (#30) look downfield at Vick and not make a move towards him. Vick has a wide open shot at Polamalu and cuts him off at the knees. Pittman looks him off. Why? Because he didn’t want to get called for hitting a defenseless player – even though there was absolutely nothing defenseless about Michael Vick.

Is this true?

Once there is a change of possession a QB should either be considered a defensive player or out of the play. Period.

Imagine if he ended Troy's career.

Chidi29
08-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Is this true?

Once there is a change of possession a QB should either be considered a defensive player or out of the play. Period.

Imagine if he ended Troy's career.

I actually sat down and watched the 12 minute instrutional rule change video on nfl.com, thinking they'd mention something about being able to block him provided he's a part of the play. But it didn't say a thing. The same with kicker and punters which also doesn't make any sense.

I'd have to think that the refs wouldn't call a penalty if Harrison blocked Vick. But the rule needs to be clarified. And if you can't even block him, the rule needs to be thrown out. Because even I won't defend Goodell there.

Craic
08-24-2011, 09:41 PM
That's not actually the rule.

According to the AP press when the rule changes came out

Defenseless players cannot be hit in the head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm or shoulder, and the definition of such players now includes those throwing a pass; attempting or completing a catch without having time to ward off or avoid contact; a runner whose forward progress has been stopped by a tackler; kickoff or punt returners while the ball is in the air; kickers or punters during a kick or a return; a quarterback during a change of possession;

So, you can block a QB all you want. What you CANT do, is go after the head or neck of a QB. Seems like a good rule to me.

Or are we going to start defending headhunting.

Chidi29
08-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Thank you for clearing that up Preacher. I was confused myself.

Chidi29
08-24-2011, 09:47 PM
For what it's worth, in the link, #30 is Donovan Warren. Not David Pittman, who played for us last year.

Count Steeler
08-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Well, Tomlin better get this into the heads of the defense. After a turnover, someone has to take out (block) the QB, especially when we get the ball for that length of time. Polamalu had the ball for a fair bit of time before Vick hit him.