PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Troy Polamalu's future

polamalubeast
08-23-2011, 04:16 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers secured two of their top young linebackers by extending the contracts of Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley. They signed a pair of six-year contracts worth a total of $111.5 million.

That leaves Pittsburgh Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu as the last key player entering the final year of his contract. Will the Steelers also re-sign Polamalu this season?

PolamaluAlthough nothing is set in stone, I don't expect Pittsburgh to work out a new deal with Polamalu this year. The updated cap numbers after the Timmons and Woodley extensions are not yet available. But there's likely not enough room for a third mega deal with Polamalu.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/43842/thoughts-on-troy-polamalus-future

BlastFurnace
08-23-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't think he's going anywhere. The Steelers will Franchise him before it comes to that.

7willBheaven
08-23-2011, 04:22 PM
He said he wants to retire there...the Steelers will sign him (to hopefully a medium length reasonable contract) when the time comes. This is a non-issue.

Pittsburgh43
08-23-2011, 05:43 PM
I think they're just waiting to see how this season pans out. If he makes it through the season without any problems, he'll get his deal. But if there are any lingering injuries and concerns, the franchise tag will be the most likely option.

steelpride12
08-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Remember the franchise tag will be available next season and he is guaranteed to get that.

shutdown
08-23-2011, 05:52 PM
This is like dejavu to me. Same kind of talk was spoke about Rod Woodson after having several injuries.

Everyone was confident he was going to be signed up until the day he signed somewhere else.

fansince'76
08-23-2011, 06:02 PM
This is like dejavu to me. Same kind of talk was spoke about Rod Woodson after having several injuries.

Everyone was confident he was going to be signed up until the day he signed somewhere else.

Rooney still regrets letting Woodson walk - I doubt he lets essentially the same thing happen again. At worst, Troy will get the franchise tag for 2012.

stillers4me
08-23-2011, 06:04 PM
I had no doubt they would take care of Woodley and I have no worries about Troy. No way will Troy ever wear anything but black and gold.

86WARD
08-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Rooney still regrets letting Woodson walk - I doubt he lets essentially the same thing happen again. At worst, Troy will get the franchise tag for 2012.

Bingo.

steel striker
08-23-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm sure they will take care of Troy in a good way after this year. We need this guy in a big way.

Moose
08-23-2011, 06:11 PM
We all know that Troy can't keep abusing his body the way he does in a game. He's a maniac ! But a great player ! I believe I've heard or read where he wants to stay in Pittsburgh, so I feel pretty confident that the Rooney's will work something out to keep him, or I could even see him redo a contract in order to stay here. I just can't see Troy and that hair in any other uniform. I do believe Troy and Hines will end their career's in the 'burgh.

Count Steeler
08-23-2011, 07:47 PM
I don't think Troy will have to worry after this season. He will remain a Steeler until he retires. Franchise Tag will be the last option, probably get a deal done after we win #7.

tube517
08-23-2011, 08:53 PM

And if Troy DOES leave, it's BA's fault.:nod:

BigNastyDefense
08-23-2011, 10:56 PM

That was a totally different situation.

First, Donahoe (sp?) was the GM and he was a dick. He wouldn't even consider signing Woodson if he wouldn't change his position. Polamalu isn't being asked to change positions.

Second, Polamalu understands that this is a business. He understands that he'll be taken care of and sometimes you have to let the team take care of others first.

Third, Polamalu isn't the guy that's going to just jump teams if they wave money. He's a different breed of player, not many are like that. He's loyal and he truly wants to retire in Pittsburgh, it's not just lip service. So the Steelers don't have to worry about him jumping ship. Timmons and Woodley, I think if they would have let them reach FA, they would have tested it and there's a good chance they would have left.

Fourth, the Steelers know in the worst case they could franchise Polamalu and he won't take it personally like a lot of players do.

GodfatherofSoul
08-24-2011, 10:25 AM
First, Donahoe (sp?) was the GM and he was a dick. He wouldn't even consider signing Woodson if he wouldn't change his position. Polamalu isn't being asked to change positions.

I don't have much sympathy for Woodson. He was offered I think $3 million a year and decided to turn it down to test the market. When all other offers were much lower (none over $2 million/year?) he came back and wanted the same contract and the Steelers reduced it to his "fair market value."

suitanim
08-24-2011, 01:01 PM
I do honestly think that at least some of these guys "get it". I'm sure Troy does.

When you play for the Steelers, you are always in the running for not only the playoffs, but a deep run in the playoffs as well as possible Championships. Even two years ago when we were 9-7, we were still in the playoff hunt right up until the last game, and, the very next year, we were back in the Super Bowl. There are really only maybe 2 other teams that have that kind of success year-in and year-out. So, if a guy takes a little more money and goes to a team like the Redskins, who haven't done shit since Reagan was President, you KNOW they are all about the greenbacks. But when they sign for maybe a little less than might be possible (Woodley probably could've gotten more. Ike "tested the waters" for only about 12 hours, which means not at all), it's safe to assume that these are guys who like money, but LOVE winning.

I have Troy in that group.

Psycho Ward 86
08-24-2011, 01:24 PM
not worried at all. We can franchise tag him, and give Wallace a tender.

86WARD
08-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Mendenhall could be the one to eventually suffer from all these signings...

The Duke
08-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Mendenhall could be the one to eventually suffer from all these signings...

true, but as a runningback if he's not willing to accept the fair deal he gets then bye bye. No reason to pay top money there with so many talented backs in the draft

Psycho Ward 86
08-24-2011, 03:23 PM
when is Mendenhall's deal done anyways