PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh hoping to make noise on field, not off it, after turbulent offseason

polamalubeast
08-23-2011, 03:08 PM
PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Steelers followed a rare Super Bowl defeat with something just as unusual for one of the NFL’s most stable and well-behaved franchises: A bumpy offseason in which the defending AFC champions made headlines for nearly all the wrong reasons.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall angered some by tweeting his frustration about what he considered an uncivilized response to Osama bin Laden’s death.

..Linebacker James Harrison lashed out at NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in a Men’s Journal magazine article, calling him a “crook” and “the devil.”

Veteran wide receiver Hines Ward used his nimble footwork to win “Dancing with the Stars” only to have his image take a hit a few weeks later when he was arrested on a drunk driving charge in Atlanta.

Though Mendenhall and Harrison later apologized and Ward maintains his innocence, their missteps aren’t exactly the kind of behavior that’s become the standard in a city that prefers its Steelers to be hardworking on the field and quiet off it.

read more

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-2011-pittsburgh-hoping-to-make-noise-on-field-not-off-it-after-turbulent-offseason/2011/08/23/gIQA7s7RZJ_story.html

siss
08-23-2011, 03:32 PM
I don't see this offseason as turbulent.

Count Steeler
08-23-2011, 03:33 PM
The offseason was especially quiet because of the lock out. So anything that happened on our team was magnified because nothing else was going on. Just hope we are making a buzz in Feb.

7willBheaven
08-23-2011, 03:35 PM

This...especially compared to previous things

fansince'76
08-23-2011, 03:36 PM

Compared to 2006 and 2010 particularly, this offseason was nothing.

Dino 6 Rings
08-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Turbulent would have been as follows: Troy Quit the team, Harrison beat up a Cop and was shot 18 times while resisting arrest and was currently in the lock up after 12 bullets bounced off his bicep and the other 6 caused Fleshwounds, meanwhile, Ben kicked a dog while slapping a hostess on the ass while in a strip bar for gay men, as Pouncey put on 185 pounds while competitive eating to keep busy during the lockout. Ward got married and divorced 3 times while fathering 8 kids by 7 different women and Tomlin was arressted for beating up an old lady that cut him off in traffic. Ike Taylor actually caught a ball and Scientists have taken him to Area 51 to figure out how he was able to do it, Woodley got drunk, showed up at Ohio State and fought all of Columbus and won...

Now that...THAT would have been a Turbulent Off Season.

steel striker
08-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Yeah this was not a what you would call a turbulent off season and, this was nothing like last year or 06 like fansince said as well. Although I'm sure that media on the outside wanted it to be bad.

polamalubeast
08-23-2011, 06:25 PM
In 2010, the Steelers had one of the worst off-seasons in NFL history....He had the Santonio Holmes trade(It was a shock for me) and of course the situation of Ben Roethlisberger, who has been to the horrible moment.

I was afraid that Roethlisberger is the same situation that Michael Vick in 2007.

86WARD
08-23-2011, 07:29 PM
meh...not really turbulent...

tube517
08-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Compared to 2006 and 2010 particularly, this offseason was nothing.

Don't forget Skippy's towel bashing incident. That almost brought down the whole franchise.

Psycho Ward 86
08-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Turbulent would have been as follows: Troy Quit the team, Harrison beat up a Cop and was shot 18 times while resisting arrest and was currently in the lock up after 12 bullets bounced off his bicep and the other 6 caused Fleshwounds, meanwhile, Ben kicked a dog while slapping a hostess on the ass while in a strip bar for gay men, as Pouncey put on 185 pounds while competitive eating to keep busy during the lockout. Ward got married and divorced 3 times while fathering 8 kids by 7 different women and Tomlin was arressted for beating up an old lady that cut him off in traffic. Ike Taylor actually caught a ball and Scientists have taken him to Area 51 to figure out how he was able to do it, Woodley got drunk, showed up at Ohio State and fought all of Columbus and won...

Now that...THAT would have been a Turbulent Off Season.

LOL