PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Reach Contract Extension With Lawrence Timmons

dislocatedday
08-23-2011, 07:22 AM
ESPN is reporting that the Steelers have extended Lawrence Timmons. The new contract is $50M over 5 years.

Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6887222/pittsburgh-steelers-lawrence-simmons-signed-new-deal-source-says

This leaves Troy as the lone, key defensive player in the last year of his contract I believe.

Devilsdancefloor
08-23-2011, 07:34 AM
that is great to hear!!! now, it is troy turn

salamander
08-23-2011, 07:44 AM
I love that we're getting these guys re-signed but that is A LOT of money being spent on one side of the team. I hope they get Wallace re-signed too.

Bluecoat96
08-23-2011, 07:50 AM
GREAT news. I would imagine that with the salary cap going up by a fair amount over the next few years, the Steelers will be in fine cap shape.

venom
08-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Wonder what Troy will get if Timmons is getting 10M a year

86WARD
08-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Yes!!!!!! Gonna be a good day! Thought they should've gotten Troy done first but whatever. Get him and Mike Wallace done...please.

suitanim
08-23-2011, 09:03 AM
I understand this move, as Timmons is much younger. We still need to lock-up Troy, and I'm worried about this. He's the reigning Defensive MVP. He's been hurt, yes, but there are teams (cough cough Raiders cough) that would probably pay 20 mil a year for him. He'll HAVE to take some kind of hometown discount to stay, because we won't be able to match what the Skins, jets or Raiders will be willing to pony up for him.

I cannot imagine him playing for another team.

Psycho Ward 86
08-23-2011, 09:13 AM
hell yeah!

86WARD
08-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Pretty much locks up the 2011 team for 2012...

fansince'76
08-23-2011, 09:25 AM
I understand this move, as Timmons is much younger. We still need to lock-up Troy, and I'm worried about this. He's the reigning Defensive MVP. He's been hurt, yes, but there are teams (cough cough Raiders cough) that would probably pay 20 mil a year for him. He'll HAVE to take some kind of hometown discount to stay, because we won't be able to match what the Skins, jets or Raiders will be willing to pony up for him.

I think if worse comes to worse, the team franchise tags him for 2012. I think 2011 will be Aaron Smith's, Farrior's and Foote's last season with the team regardless of the season's outcome, so some money will be freed up. IMO, Troy is one of the few (if not only) players in the league who will be willing to take less to stay where he's at - it's not just lip service with him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-23-2011, 09:42 AM
I think if worse comes to worse, the team franchise tags him for 2012. I think 2011 will be Aaron Smith's, Farrior's and Foote's last season with the team regardless of the season's outcome, so some money will be freed up. IMO, Troy is one of the few (if not only) players in the league who will be willing to take less to stay where he's at - it's not just lip service with him.

I agree with you that this might be the last year for Smith, Farrior, Mewelde Moore, William Gay(maybe Foote, Ward and Hoke). Lots of cap room could come off the books and Troy could get franchised too. Nice move to lock down Timmons and Woodley.

86WARD
08-23-2011, 09:43 AM
They can tag him and Wallace is a RFA.

steeldevil
08-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Its a 6 year, 50 Million contract. Not 5 year. So 8.3333 M a year.

polamalubeast
08-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Its been a very good draft in 2007 with Timmons and Woodley.

The Duke
08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Wow, compared to Beason's that's a bargain!

Chidi29
08-23-2011, 11:42 AM

As good as Troy is, the injury concerns you stated is the reason he didn't get a deal.

It's best to wait for as long as possible before you commit big money to a player with that type of injury history.

shutdown
08-23-2011, 11:48 AM
As good as Troy is, the injury concerns you stated is the reason he didn't get a deal.

It's best to wait for as long as possible before you commit big money to a player with that type of injury history.

We could be seeing a Rod Woodson all over again. :)

Glad they signed Timmons. :thumbsup:

7willBheaven
08-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Glad this is done...I highly doubt they do anymore extensions before the season...while it wouldnt shock me if they did but I dont think they will. Troy isnt going anywhere...he has stated he wants to retire a Steeler...I'm not worried one bit about him.

And for those who are going the 50 mil divided by 6 years to get what he makes a year...while that is correct math...that doesnt mean its what he will be getting each year and what his cap hit will be.

Chidi29
08-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Glad this is done...I highly doubt they do anymore extensions before the season...while it wouldnt shock me if they did but I dont think they will. Troy isnt going anywhere...he has stated he wants to retire a Steeler...I'm not worried one bit about him.

And for those who are going the 50 mil divided by 6 years to get what he makes a year...while that is correct math...that doesnt mean its what he will be getting each year and what his cap hit will be.

Any word on the guaranteed and signing bonus?

tube517
08-23-2011, 12:35 PM
They will re-sign Troy. I trust the Front Office to do what they need to do. Timmons had to be extended as he can play ILB or OLB, as well as where LeBeau places him.

Agree with FS76...Foote, Farrior, and A.Smith will need to be gone. Farrior can't play forever, Foote is nowhere near the player he was in 2004-2008. Aaron is just too injury prone and old.

7willBheaven
08-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Any word on the guaranteed and signing bonus?

This is all I could find so far....

EdBouchette Ed Bouchette
#steelers deal w Timmons includes $18 M in bonuses, 4th most on team behind Ben R, Woodley & Harrison. Woodley got $22.5 M in bonuses.

KeiselPower99
08-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Ive been wondering why Aaron Smith was restructered.

7willBheaven
08-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Ive been wondering why Aaron Smith was restructered.

I take it you mean why he WASNT restructured? As I do not remember hearing where he restructured...I think Keisel did but not Smith.

Psycho Ward 86
08-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Again, love this this extension, but don't the Steelers shun contract negotiations during training camp? Perhaps the lockout has changed matters for once?

fansince'76
08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Again, love this this extension, but don't the Steelers shun contract negotiations during training camp? Perhaps the lockout has changed matters for once?

Once the regular season starts, they definitely halt negotiations - not sure about TC or preseason.

86WARD
08-23-2011, 03:03 PM
I don't necessarily think Farrior is done. But I tend to agree with Smith and Foote. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't figure out a way to sign Polamalu. Like Chidi said, his injuries will factor into the deal...and it's better to be safe than sorry...

fansince'76
08-23-2011, 03:05 PM
I don't necessarily think Farrior is done. But I tend to agree with Smith and Foote. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't figure out a way to sign Polamalu. Like Chidi said, his injuries will factor into the deal...and it's better to be safe than sorry...

If we get back to the SB and win it, I think Ward will hang 'em up too.

Texasteel
08-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Once the regular season starts, they definitely halt negotiations - not sure about TC or preseason.

I'm wondering if they may change that stands once they see what Cotchery does on the field.

Count Steeler
08-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Great news. :applaudit:

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Its been a very good draft in 2007 with Timmons and Woodley.

Just imagine if the Steelers didnt take Spaeth that year. The next 10 picks after Spaeth included names like James Jones, Mike Walker, Jay Alford, Tank Tyler, Marshall Yanda, Stewart Bradley.

7willBheaven
08-23-2011, 03:40 PM

Yeah...they do talks/etc anytime from the end of the season to the start of the new one....not during the season/playoffs.

7willBheaven
08-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Out of the picks after the Steelers and before their next picks James Jones, Sims-Walker, Yanda, Higgins, Michael Bush or Paul Soliai or Stewart would have been solid...not knocking Spaeth, but yeah.

oneforthetoe
08-23-2011, 04:25 PM
I agree with you that this might be the last year for Smith, Farrior, Mewelde Moore, William Gay(maybe Foote, Ward and Hoke). Lots of cap room could come off the books and Troy could get franchised too. Nice move to lock down Timmons and Woodley.

Naa ... there going to work out an 8 year 61 million dollar extension for Gay.

oneforthetoe
08-23-2011, 04:37 PM
I take it you mean why he WASNT restructured? As I do not remember hearing where he restructured...I think Keisel did but not Smith.

This was brought up about a month ago. I'm only speculating of course, but I can think of two reasons why Aaron was not asked to restructure (I assuming he was not asked because he has restructured in the past).

First, is just that, I think he has restructured in the past so the Steelers looked for players who have not done so yet. Second, and I think the most likely reason, he is going to be gone after this season. It doesn't make as much sense to restructure a contract of a player who will likely not be around next season. I'm no capologist, but from what I can gleen, when you restructure these contracts to save cap space, you are lowering a players present year cap hit, but guaranteeing more of that players income in future years. If a player doesn't have any future years it doesn't make sense to restructure and could in fact lead to a dead cap hit. Remember, players who just restructure to open cap space don't usually take less money.

Well, that's my understanding anyhow.

polamalubeast
08-23-2011, 04:47 PM
HAHA,funny

Blitz/Jayme after 2007 season wrote:
Timmons sucks and will never be good in our defense. It was a Tomlin ego pick!!!

Blitz/Jayme after 2008 and 2009 season wrote:
Sure he showed improvement, but thats only because our defense made him look better!

HollywoodSteel
08-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Just imagine if the Steelers didnt take Spaeth that year. The next 10 picks after Spaeth included names like James Jones, Mike Walker, Jay Alford, Tank Tyler, Marshall Yanda, Stewart Bradley.

But none of those guys can stretch the field like Spaeth... :chuckle:

steelpride12
08-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Great news to see Timmons locked up for 5 years in the black and gold. Only 1 players is left, Troy, to sign a deal, but I know this one will take plenty of negotiations.

st33lersguy
08-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Glad to see Timmons locked up for six more years

86WARD
08-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Great news to see Timmons locked up for 5 years in the black and gold. Only 1 players is left, Troy, to sign a deal, but I know this one will take plenty of negotiations.

Don't forget about Wallace...he's gotta be done in the next couple seasons as well...he's a RFA next year.

Count Steeler
08-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Don't forget about Wallace...he's gotta be done in the next couple seasons as well...he's a RFA next year.

Unfortunately for Wallace, WR is not a position where the Steelers lack depth. This does seem to be a "plug-in" position recently for the Steelers. Of course, Sweed is the exception.

86WARD
08-23-2011, 08:41 PM
But with Ward leaving in the next couple years and if they let Wallace walk, they could be in some trouble there...

Psycho Ward 86
08-23-2011, 08:46 PM
This does seem to be a "plug-in" position recently for the Steelers. Of course, Sweed is the exception.

lol, based on one year? let's wait for a pattern to occur before we crown the receiving corp with the P word.

steelerdude15
08-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Great news on Timmons. I'm glad that we resigned him because he's become a valuable player on our defense and he continues to improve every year. I'm sure Troy will either be tagged or signed next year or sooner. I'm not worried about Troy leaving because he wants to stay a Steeler.

kmsteelerwr15
08-24-2011, 12:56 AM
Terrific news!