PDA

View Full Version : Trai Essex is back

stillers4me
08-22-2011, 05:05 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/1099965827/TweetLogo_normal.jpgSteelersDigest (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/SteelersDigest)Steelers Digest

Team has re-signed veteran OL Trai Essex. Nevin McCaskill was waived to open a roster spot.

34 seconds ago (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/SteelersDigest/status/105761961811259392)Favorite (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/#)Retweet (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/#)Reply (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/#)

XxKnightxX
08-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Depth move, the bastard may be round and soft like a marshmallow, but hes a good backup that can play almost all positions.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2011, 06:13 PM
better than having Starks back but damnit, i rather wouldve had Flozell

86WARD
08-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Essex...meh...Tony Hills would destroy him...lol.

oneforthetoe
08-22-2011, 10:51 PM
The question now is who is out on the o'line?

7willBheaven
08-22-2011, 11:12 PM

Its not even a guarantee that he makes the team...theres a chance he could but no guarantee.

I wouldnt mind them keeping 10 OL this year...and have only 8 LBs or 5 WRs and such to open a spot.

ALLD
08-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Load up on the OL because they are going to go down to injury over the course of the season. Maybe Flozell wanted too much money or he is holding out to avoid camp.

oneforthetoe
08-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Its not even a guarantee that he makes the team...theres a chance he could but no guarantee.

I wouldnt mind them keeping 10 OL this year...and have only 8 LBs or 5 WRs and such to open a spot.

I agree ... there is no guarantee that he makes the team, but I would be surprised if he doesn't, given that the Steelers know where his skills lie so well.

If you only keep 5 receivers you have to cut Battle who is specials teams guru of sorts. I do think they will probably keep 8 linebackers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2011, 11:22 PM

Taking a guess that the starters from Left to right will be...Scott, Kemo, Pouncey, Hills, Colon. Backups Gilbert, Legursky, Scott, (then one of Essex, Foster, Jolly or Williams??)

oneforthetoe
08-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Load up on the OL because they are going to go down to injury over the course of the season. Maybe Flozell wanted too much money or he is holding out to avoid camp.

From what others have posted, I garner that Flo only wants to play if he is a starter.

Chidi29
08-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Just speculating, but Essex could have been brought in just until Scott and Gilbert are healthy. Instead of us having to play Hills at LT and not getting a chance to look at him at RG like we want.

oneforthetoe
08-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Taking a guess that the starters from Left to right will be...Scott, Kemo, Pouncey, Hills, Colon. Backups Gilbert, Legursky, Scott, (then one of Essex, Foster, Jolly or Williams??)

Well, I guess Williams and Jolly could go to the practice squad, where there is no guarantee you would keep them. I am not sure how much in demand either would be. So, if that is case, then Foster or Essex? Essex gives you more flexibility at tackle, particularly on the left side. Foster is younger and may still have a little upside remaining. Last years triage unit at tackle makes me lean towards Essex, even though I prefer Foster.

oneforthetoe
08-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Just speculating, but Essex could have been brought in just until Scott and Gilbert are healthy. Instead of us having to play Hills at LT and not getting a chance to look at him at RG like we want.

A possibility. Chidi29, since you wrote such a nice (and well written) article about Omar Khan, why don't you see if you can get some straight poop?

Chidi29
08-22-2011, 11:45 PM
A possibility. Chidi29, since you wrote such a nice (and well written) article about Omar Khan, why don't you see if you can get some straight poop?

Ha, thanks.

I'll call up Tomlin tomorrow. :chuckle:

suitanim
08-23-2011, 08:59 AM
I'd not be surprised if he does make the team for a couple reasons. One, he can play multiple positions, and two, injuries are already piling up along the OL (probably because of the work stoppage). It'd be nice to think (and hope...and pray) that no one else gets hurt, but the trend is heading the opposite way.

86WARD
08-23-2011, 09:18 AM
I'd not be surprised if he does make the team for a couple reasons. One, he can play multiple positions, and two, injuries are already piling up along the OL (probably because of the work stoppage). It'd be nice to think (and hope...and pray) that no one else gets hurt, but the trend is heading the opposite way.

Exactly why I think he could make the team and I don't think they are overjoyed with Williams...

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Exactly why I think he could make the team and I don't think they are overjoyed with Williams...

Pretty much what you get from a 6th round O lineman. Williams probably gets shuffled to the PS for a season. I think that 9th O lineman spot comes down to either Foster or Essex.

LLT
08-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Pretty much what you get from a 6th round O lineman. Williams probably gets shuffled to the PS for a season. I think that 9th O lineman spot comes down to either Foster or Essex.

I think you are correct and I lean towards Foster. As was stated earlier..when all the tackles are healthy Essex becomes expendible. He is an insurance policy at this point.

suitanim
08-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Provided we suffer no more injuries.

I have a bad feeling about that though...

Texasteel
08-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I think you are correct and I lean towards Foster. As was stated earlier..when all the tackles are healthy Essex becomes expendible. He is an insurance policy at this point.

Your probably right, but that may be an insurance policy they what to hold onto all the way to the SB. After all, it looks like we may have a couple of options at guard other than Foster.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-23-2011, 03:43 PM

I hope so. I can live with Scott, Colon, Hills, Gilbert at OT and Kemo, Pouncey, Legursky, Scott, Foster on the inside. Essex was serviceable, but I dont think he lived up to his 3rd round reach in the draft.