PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ DB Coach, Carnell Lake, Breaks Down The CB Position

katmandu
08-22-2011, 11:24 AM
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/08/22/steelers-db-coach-carnell-lake-breaks-down-the-cb-position/

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Nice interview. Lake thinks Keenan lewis can cover anybody in the league and is improving. Donovan Warren has picked up a couple positions in a relatively short time and proved to be a "Professional". Curtis Brown getting better every day.

Maybe they keep 7 CB's or it could be tough for Butler and Allen to stick.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2011, 01:18 PM
a lot of it can easily be over-flattery like all coaches do, but if we end up with too much talent in the secondary, that would be a good problem to have. i doubt it though...

pepsyman1
08-22-2011, 02:01 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. I think Ike is a top notch cover guy that knows how to play in the system and tightens down his coverage when necessary to take away easy outlets when we blitz. He can do it all except catch the ball! lol The other side of the field is another story. McFadden and Gay have the same issues. They can keep the play in front of them, but when they do they play so far off that the reception totally none contested. That's fine on 3rd and 10, but when it's 3rd and 5 they don't play any different. You can sit in front of the TV and predict the reception, especially if we are playing against one of the sharper QB's in the league. SOMEBODY on that side has got to be able to effectively cut off the slant routes or break up the short stop routes or simply make some solid bump and run contact to give our pass rush time to finish up. They DON'T have to play that way all the time (Ike doesn't), but it's a tool in Ike's belt that he uses when the situation calls for it. You don't see too many first downs gained on Ike's side of the field.

SteelerEmpire
08-22-2011, 03:01 PM
If Lake is gonna 'train up' these guys into top tier CB's, then its like CBing 101 for all of the CB's except Ike. For Ike its CBing 301. Polamalu will probably be showing Lake a thing or two.

Count Steeler
08-22-2011, 03:57 PM
It's a process and Lake will do a great job. At least there is a glimmer of hope now in the secondary.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2011, 04:38 PM
It's a process and Lake will do a great job. At least there is a glimmer of hope now in the secondary.

Troy and Ike sure are some shiny-ass glimmers

Count Steeler
08-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Troy and Ike sure are some shiny-ass glimmers

So, you are saying you are pleased with the performance of the secondary for the last 2 seasons? We wasted 4 picks in the last 2 drafts on the secondary? I think Lake will prove to be a good coach and will develop they young players and our secondary will not be the weakest part of our team, outside the O Line. As for the O Line, injuries have been the biggest obstacle. Once Kruger has 5 steady, healthy players, he can get production out of them.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2011, 10:12 PM
So, you are saying you are pleased with the performance of the secondary for the last 2 seasons? We wasted 4 picks in the last 2 drafts on the secondary? I think Lake will prove to be a good coach and will develop they young players and our secondary will not be the weakest part of our team, outside the O Line. As for the O Line, injuries have been the biggest obstacle. Once Kruger has 5 steady, healthy players, he can get production out of them.

Nope. Just implying that we are a lot more well off than people make us out to be. 5th in the league with 21 interceptions, 3rd in the league with only 15 TD's allowed, 3rd in the league allowing a 33.5% 3rd down conversion rate. Not too shabby, especially in crucial situations. I'd love for one or two of our corners to step up though. Not fair to bring in the secondary's performance of the last TWO years though, 2009 was just an epic fail on so many different levels.

Moose
08-23-2011, 01:38 AM
I agree 'pepsyman1'-- McFadden drives me up a wall with the way he covers. I don't understand why no one get's in his ass. The 10yrd cushion he gives makes it so easy for the receiver to catch the ball, and then it's a race to try and ' push ' him out-of-bounds !!! Of course that's usually after the receiver has picked up 15 + yrds and a 1st down !!! ugh. Like you said, it's almost automatic anymore on his side of the field.

Chidi29
08-23-2011, 01:48 AM
I agree 'pepsyman1'-- McFadden drives me up a wall with the way he covers. I don't understand why no one get's in his ass. The 10yrd cushion he gives makes it so easy for the receiver to catch the ball, and then it's a race to try and ' push ' him out-of-bounds !!! Of course that's usually after the receiver has picked up 15 + yrds and a 1st down !!! ugh. Like you said, it's almost automatic anymore on his side of the field.

That's by LeBeau's design.

Don't blame McFadden.

Pristas
08-23-2011, 06:58 AM
That's by LeBeau's design.

Don't blame McFadden.

Yes, but that design is tailored to the effectiveness of our roster. Otherwise it would be a bump and go route for a TD every play against BMac. LeBeau keeps the play in front, thereby preventing the TD, unfortunately not a first down.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-23-2011, 09:45 AM
McFadden is becoming a modern day Chad Scott, so that makes Will Gay who...Jason Simmons??