PDA

View Full Version : Early look at 53 man roster

oneforthetoe
08-19-2011, 10:54 PM
I admit I am having trouble keeping track of some of these young guys. So there will likely be some changes after the next two preseason games once I get to see more of the young players and factor in the injuries.

Good start here at the triblive blog. I disagree with him on a few
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/08/19/crystal-ball-gazing/

Oneforthetoe's early 53 man roster.

Specials (3) Warren, Sep and squeeezum
QB (3) BB, Lefty and Dixon
RB (4) Mendy, Redmen, Moore and Dwyer
WR, (6) Hines, Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Jerichooooo, and Battle
TE (3) Heath, Johnson, and Gilmore
OL (9) Scott and Scott, Pouncy. the big Legursky, Kemo, Colon, Hills, Foster and Gilbert
DE (6) Smith, Big Snack, Keisel, Hood, Hoke, Heyward
LB (8) Woodly, Farrior, Timmons, Harrison, Foote, Worilds, Sylvester and Carter
CB (7) Ike, McFadden, Gay, Lewis, Brown, Allen and Butler
Safety (4) Troy, Clark, Mundy, and Allen

This was tough. To me it came down to keeping two of the following three players: Keith Williams OL, Chris Carter LB or Crezdon Butler. Williams was the odd man out to me because the Steelers have a lot of guards (some of whom are more versatile), and he might survive on the PS. Carter might be able to help on special teams and I don't think the Steelers are going to give up on Butler yet.

As for a few other positions:

QB - I think now the Steelers will keep Dixon over Batch. If your backups are Lefty and Batch you are a gust of wind away from Hines being your qb. I know Dixon was hurt last year but at least he is capable of running for his life. Plus, all things being equal, I don't think the Steelers want to reward Dixon for asking for a trade. I'm sure if we are offered a draft pick we will take it, but I don't think one is forthcoming. Also, keep in mind that if we cut Batch he is unlikely to go anywhere, so if we need him later in the year, he will probably still be there..

DE - The Trib writer seems to think the Steelers will keep McClendon. I haven't noticed that he has played exceptionally well, but I could have just missed it. Maybe he is out of PS eligibility and we don't want to lose him?

Well, I'm sure I will change my mind about 20 times before the final cuts.

Practice Squad - too early other than to say Williams should be there.

Steeltreal
08-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Donovan Warren impressed and was running with the first team def.

oneforthetoe
08-19-2011, 11:08 PM

Yep he impressed me as well. I'm just not sure who to leave off to put him on the roster. I can't see us keeping 8 corners.

Godfather
08-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Isn't it a 54 man roster this season? The 54th spot is technically the third QB but if we put Dixon there it still opens the 53rd spot.

JayC
08-19-2011, 11:34 PM
the final cuts day will be interesting, some tough decisions here

Chidi29
08-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Isn't it a 54 man roster this season? The 54th spot is technically the third QB but if we put Dixon there it still opens the 53rd spot.

Not to my knowledge. It's still a 53 man roster but a 46 active, game-day roster.

oneforthetoe
08-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Not to my knowledge. It's still a 53 man roster but a 46 active, game-day roster.

I think that is correct. One more active player, but still a 53 man roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/22/nfl-drops-third-quarterback-rule-46-active-players-on-game-day/

ALLD
08-20-2011, 08:16 AM
I say Batch stays and Dixon is traded/

86WARD
08-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Still two weeks left...but I'd like to see Warren mae the team as well...

steelpride12
08-20-2011, 12:34 PM
I always thought the Steelers would get rid of Batch because of his age and because at least Dixon was young and could be more of a play maker, but now seeing that Dixon could be worth a draft pick or more I could see him going and keeping the veteran Batch.

86WARD
08-20-2011, 12:52 PM
I could totally see them keep Batch around. He's useful in the sidelines because he's an asset mentally. He's not going to put up a stink if he's not dressed. They can use that #3 spot for another O-Lineman. My worries come if he has to play...

Here's an interesting thought...how many times has it occurred that the Steelers have had to use a third string QB in back-to-back years? I don't know the answer yet...I plan on researching it...

Count Steeler
08-20-2011, 01:07 PM
This is what you want. A tough decision to get to 53 men. Warren has been impressive. Still lot of practices and 2 more games before the real tough decisions have to be made. Good to see Colon appears to be ready to play.

GoSlash27
08-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Replace Allen with Cromartie-Smith and replace Gay with... well... anybody.
/where's the love for DC-Shoes??

The Duke
08-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Replace Allen with Cromartie-Smith and replace Gay with... well... anybody.
/where's the love for DC-Shoes??

I have to see more of him before I'm convinced, but he's definitely making a case for it

4th game will be huge for him

Iron Steeler
08-22-2011, 07:52 PM

apparently this guy was supposed to be a 2nd rounder but fell do to a injury and a bad combine.

Count Steeler
08-22-2011, 09:49 PM
apparently this guy was supposed to be a 2nd rounder but fell do to a injury and a bad combine.

A blessing in disguise. At the end of it all, he may be glad that he was injured, because now he can be a Steeler.

Moose
08-23-2011, 01:22 AM
I'm thinking BB, Leftwich and Batch also. It's nice to have all of the experience as back-ups, with any of the back-ups knowing the play book, being able to read the defense and having started many NFL games is definitely a plus. Plus, keeping Batch around might keep him around for future coaching jobs. Dixon, being young, may be good bargaining power and alot of teams out there are in need of a back-up QB. And I kinda lost some respect for him when he asked to be traded. I understand his thinking, being young and wanting to make the big bucks, but I also like loyalty. Now as far as Gay goes....ugh, I thought this guy was going to be a big plus on the team with his size and strength, but for some reason he doesn't know how to use it. I'm not sold on Gay at all, but who else is out there ? I say his time in the 'burgh is limited.

Chidi29
08-23-2011, 01:49 AM
I'm thinking BB, Leftwich and Batch also. It's nice to have all of the experience as back-ups, with any of the back-ups knowing the play book, being able to read the defense and having started many NFL games is definitely a plus. Plus, keeping Batch around might keep him around for future coaching jobs. Dixon, being young, may be good bargaining power and alot of teams out there are in need of a back-up QB. And I kinda lost some respect for him when he asked to be traded. I understand his thinking, being young and wanting to make the big bucks, but I also like loyalty. Now as far as Gay goes....ugh, I thought this guy was going to be a big plus on the team with his size and strength, but for some reason he doesn't know how to use it. I'm not sold on Gay at all, but who else is out there ? I say his time in the 'burgh is limited.

Gay has size and strength? When was that ever the scouting report on him?

Moose
08-23-2011, 03:43 AM
I said nothing about a scouting report on him. It was my opinion on him. I have seen him 'hit' a few times and if he wants he can definitely put a hurting on a someone, but it's too far inbetween that happening.

Pittsburgh43
08-23-2011, 03:43 AM
Gay has size and strength? When was that ever the scouting report on him?

Exactly what I'm thinking lol Gay is about 5'9 or 5'10 and probably benches less than what I did my freshman year in high school.

oneforthetoe
08-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Just to update my thoughts on this.

I think, unfortunately, the QB situation has been settled.

I'm a little higher on McClendon now, but still not sure where that spot comes from.

I think Butler earned his spot. So then sticking with my original post, Williams or Carter? I still think Carter will make the team and Williams goes to PS.

Basically, little has changed except at QB things are settled and Butler reinforced his roster spot.

Chidi29
09-02-2011, 10:00 AM
My last crack at it.

QB: Ben, Batch, Dixon (3)

RB: Mendenhall, Redman, Moore, Dwyer (4)

FB: David Johnson (1)

TE: Miller, McCoy (2)

WR: Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Cotchery, Battle (6)

OT: J.Scott, Colon, Gilbert (3)

OG: Kemoeatu, Foster, Hills, Essex (4)

C: Pouncey, Legursky (2)

DE: Smith, Keisel, Hood, Heyward, (4)

NT: Hampton, Hoke, McClendon (3)

OLB: Harrison, Woodley, Worilds (3)

ILB: Farrior, Timmons, Sylvester, Foote, (4)

CB: Taylor, McFadden, Gay, Lewis, Butler, Brown,Warren (7)

S: Polamalu, Clark, Mundy, Will Allen (4)

K: Suisham (1)

P: Sepulevda (1)

LS: Warren (1)

------------

Inactives (Typical)

RB: Dwyer
OL: Gilbert, Foster
DL: Gray, McClendon
CB: Warren
S: Allen

Practice Squad:

WR: Grisham (Think this is last year of eligibility)
TE: Saunders
OL: Keith Williams
DL: Gray, Corbin Bryant
LB: Carter, Ivy
CB: Cortez Allen

Last Three in: McCoy, W.Allen, McClendon

First Three Out: Cortez Allen, Corbin Bryant, Ivy

-----------

Changes:

Added Jamie McCoy and Crezdon Butler to 53.

Took off Anthony Gray and John Gilmore from 53.

Replaced Leftwich with Dixon.

Put Gray on the PS.

Took off Corbin Bryant from the 53

Added Steve McClendon to the 53

Took off Chris Scott and Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith from the practice squad.

Added Corbin Bryant and Morty Ivy to the practice squad.

86WARD
09-02-2011, 10:46 AM
I like Saunders over McCoy.

oneforthetoe
09-02-2011, 10:58 AM
That is a pretty good list Chidi29. I am really leaning towards McClendon getting a spot. Then next year Hokie Pokey and maybe Aaron Smith will be gone. McClendon likely becomes the new Hoke. In addition, we draft "big snacks" replacement so he has a year of tutelage under Casey. By 2013 our d'line is Ziggy, new NT and Heyword, with McClendon in the rotation. Of course, there are all kinds of unknown factors that could change things, but that if this scenario does come about, it would be be a seamless transition to our next d'line.

Back to the list, I still wonder if Cortez Allen might get the nod over Warren because Warren might be easier to sneak onto the PS.

oneforthetoe
09-02-2011, 11:01 AM

I like Saunders as well. When I did the original list I had no idea who to select as the third TE. Saunders has impressed me the little I have seen of him.

SteelMember
09-02-2011, 11:02 AM
I could see Carter or Ivy pushing for the 53. Special teams play alone might get one there.
Unfortunately, that will probably affect the number of CB's, or the possibility of keeping a guy like McClendon as a #3.

...and for heaven's sake, at least put Johnson as H-back. He'll never see the field if Bruce sees that. lol.

Chidi29
09-02-2011, 04:03 PM

Though he improved, I didn't think Saunders was a refined enough blocker. But it looks like he could make the team....or at least have a better shot than McCoy who got cut. I didn't really like McCoy in the sense that he did anything special but he was on first team punt and FG units. Really more of me trying to read the tea leaves than convince everyone that he's awesome. Guess I need new glasses.

86WARD
09-02-2011, 04:06 PM
I think they want him more for his pass catching skills...

Chidi29
09-02-2011, 04:11 PM

He's not going to catch many passes as the #2/#3 tight end. When he enters the game, it'll be for power sets. We have plenty of receivers so he isn't needed as a stand up TE in the slot or something along those lines.

oneforthetoe
09-02-2011, 04:14 PM

I know somebody has to replace Matt Spaeth's pass catching skills. :bounce:

tube517
09-02-2011, 06:47 PM
I said nothing about a scouting report on him. It was my opinion on him. I have seen him 'hit' a few times and if he wants he can definitely put a hurting on a someone, but it's too far inbetween that happening.

Like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZx7Y6LyxR4 :chuckle: