PDA

View Full Version : Terry Bradshaw...

TXSteelerFan
08-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure if this should go in Steelers talk as he is a announcer now, but I see it as once a Steeler always a Steeler.

Regardless... I've never met the man, saw him once when I was around 12 years old with my parents at Disney World while he was also with his family but never actually interacted with him.

But is the man always that weird? He almost seemed drunk last night or something. His mood was like a high and low thing. At the start he is extremely happy, he was leaning way in to people talking while they where talking to him or to the camera almost as if drunk. Seemed to be very strange. I'm also not sure what quarter it was in (3rd maybe) I remember hearing him saying "How sad I am." and being all depressed. I don't ever recall him being that dramatic on camera even during the Pre-Game/Post-Game shows on Fox...

Here are a few tweets of people having the same suspicion I did...
http://storify.com/myoder84/real-tweets-from-real-people-terry-bradshaw

oneforthetoe
08-19-2011, 01:39 PM
You might be right,I didn't hear much of the audio for the second half. But to me, Terry has always been that way. In fact, you might say that is his multimillion dollar quirky personality. He has made 100 times more money on TV than he did playing football. And, needless to say, he didn't make it on TV because of his looks.

steelpinstripe87
08-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Terry Bradshaw's not weird. He has struggled with depression since his playing days. I have days like the one he had last night in the booth. That's what I took from that last night, because I too noticed it. One weekend in July, I was in Buffalo for a wedding. And I was on. Total sugar high all weekend, so I wouldn't have any down moments. He didn't sound drunk to me last night...but I think he definitely tried to make sure he wouldn't be down. He was probably nervous, which can bring out symptoms. Before last night, when was the last time he was in the booth?

Chidi29
08-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Hate to say it, but all the hits he took in his playing days could be catching up to him. You don't get slammed by Turkey Joe Jones and not feel any lasting effects.

Googled "Bradshaw memory loss" and this ariticle popped up from April of this past year.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/04/terry-bradshaw-memory-loss-affecting-him-in-fox-tv-role/1

"That's why I quit reciting statistics because I couldn't remember them exactly and I stayed away from mentioning some players by name because I really wasn't sure and I didn't want to make a mistake. I'm on national TV in front of millions and I hate making mistake."

"It's obvious that my brain isn't what it used to be," he said. "I'm taking memory power boost tablets to help me every day and doing the puzzles to help me stay focused."

Trouble remembering? Not being able to stay focused, instead rambling away? Looks like it to me.

I know you guys call this a flag football league and that Goodell is ruining it, but this is EXACTLY why these measures are being taken. So we don't have Doug Plank or Dave Duerson's happen again. So Bradshaw, McMahon, and countless others can remember their playing days.

I don't want to see Big Ben go through this 30 years from now.

Mamaduck43
08-19-2011, 02:39 PM
When he first came on air last night, he said that he had flown in from Hawaii yesterday and the jet lag was really hard to take... I also think that he still has apprehensions about being in Pittsburgh - - his reception last night when he went down to the field should help his confidence level quite a bit - he had a good ovation and the message on the blimp was cool... And, of course, he certainly has residual effects from having his bell rung many times.....

I loved his stories last night - and comparing Bradshaw era football to what is happening now makes some good tales... Most players had 'real' jobs in the off season, and hits were HITS!!!! That era is gone - - but there are still a few players in the league with '70's mentalities and playing style... Unfortunately, they are getting fined, discouraged and phased out... Let's face it - - Steelers ball as we grew up with, is gone.... I am just glad that I was raised on it.....

But, that said, it doesn't justify having two distinct officiating rules for Brady / Manning / Manning vs Roethlisberger / Vick / and in the past couple of seasons - Favre.... The NFL needs to take care of ALL their players - not just the chosen few.....

stillers4me
08-19-2011, 02:48 PM
I enjoyed Terry last night. As a matter of fact, I said to my husband, "Thank God Terry is there because Joe Buck is driving me crazy." Imagine how boring it would have been with only Joe Buck and Troy Aikman. ughhhhhhh.....

tube517
08-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Terry has always had apprehension when he comes back to Pittsburgh. Check out the 3 part documentary that NFL films did (it's on Youtube). I didn't watch the whole preseason game vs the Iggles but he seemed like his usual self. He was joking about the Welcome back Terry on the blimp wasn't really for him. If you watch the documentary, it shows how nervous he was coming back to Pittsburgh after so many years away.

Count Steeler
08-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Is this a permanent position for Bradshaw or is this just for the preseason?

Lambert_Loonie
08-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Is this a permanent position for Bradshaw or is this just for the preseason?

Just for preseason.

I just figured Massive jet lag + 4 cups of coffee in the 1st half + Terry's usual eccentricities = Terry last night.

Chidi29
08-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Terry has always had apprehension when he comes back to Pittsburgh. Check out the 3 part documentary that NFL films did (it's on Youtube). I didn't watch the whole preseason game vs the Iggles but he seemed like his usual self. He was joking about the Welcome back Terry on the blimp wasn't really for him. If you watch the documentary, it shows how nervous he was coming back to Pittsburgh after so many years away.

I realize that, but he and the city are on good terms now. He was welcomed at the 75th anniversary, right?

tube517
08-19-2011, 05:23 PM
I realize that, but he and the city are on good terms now. He was welcomed at the 75th anniversary, right?

Oh, I was replying to the OP. I didn't read what you wrote. :peep:

Yeah, he took his fair share of shots to the head. He played in similar style to Ben so, I agree, we don't want to see that happen to Ben. Let's just hope they call the rules for hits against Ben, too.

Iron Steeler
08-19-2011, 06:10 PM
to me it seems like Terry is more proud to be a Louisiana native then a Steeler alumni. Anytime they mention the steelers of old to him... he kinda goes eeehhh yaaa it was good time. ehh ya steelers look good.

Thats just my opinion

Iron Steeler
08-19-2011, 06:11 PM
I was interested to here how he reacted to announcing a game with his favorite bud ben roethlisberger in it

Butch
08-19-2011, 06:36 PM
I have had the pleasure to talk one on one with Terry when he came over to Italy for a USO tour. He was very cool to me and my family. My youngest son got to introduce him and Terry gave him an autographed football none of the other stars did that. My son was 4 at the time and he is a Steeler fan to this day because of that!!! When you see Terry with Howie and the gang that is him through and through, a little nutty and just having fun goofing around. As others here have said he did quite a bit of traveling so I'm sure that had a helluva lot to do with it.

Now as for those who use the Turkey Jones hit to make a point about new rules changes that is a piss poor example. There has never been a place in football for cheap shots like that even back in the 70's. Yes I do believe this league is turning into the flag football league. It's no secret to the players who play the game that they are going to take hits it's the nature of the business. Players today get paid a very well to take those hits, and I haven't seen one who would rather hang it up and give up the money because of violent hits.

BTW Terry is the only Steeler I have ever met. I don't always agree with everything he says but I was glad to see him in da' burgh last night and I still watch him every week on fox.

Chidi29
08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
I have had the pleasure to talk one on one with Terry when he came over to Italy for a USO tour. He was very cool to me and my family. My youngest son got to introduce him and Terry gave him an autographed football none of the other stars did that. My son was 4 at the time and he is a Steeler fan to this day because of that!!! When you see Terry with Howie and the gang that is him through and through, a little nutty and just having fun goofing around. As others here have said he did quite a bit of traveling so I'm sure that had a helluva lot to do with it.

Now as for those who use the Turkey Jones hit to make a point about new rules changes that is a piss poor example. There has never been a place in football for cheap shots like that even back in the 70's. Yes I do believe this league is turning into the flag football league. It's no secret to the players who play the game that they are going to take hits it's the nature of the business. Players today get paid a very well to take those hits, and I haven't seen one who would rather hang it up and give up the money because of violent hits.

BTW Terry is the only Steeler I have ever met. I don't always agree with everything he says but I was glad to see him in da' burgh last night and I still watch him every week on fox.

I was just using the best example I could think of of Bradshaw taking a hard hit.

The point is that the league is enacting these rules not to make the game wimpy, but to protect the player's after their careers are long gone.

Butch
08-19-2011, 06:58 PM
As I said show me a player who wants to give back the money because of the hits and lingering effects. Also you want to make it safer make it across the board not just for certain players.

steeldevil
08-19-2011, 07:04 PM
to me it seems like Terry is more proud to be a Louisiana native then a Steeler alumni. Anytime they mention the steelers of old to him... he kinda goes eeehhh yaaa it was good time. ehh ya steelers look good.

Thats just my opinion

Why wouldn't he be more proud of being from Louisiana? Where you play your sport is nice, but your home is your home.

86WARD
08-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Love everything that is Terry Bradshaw!

Chidi29
08-19-2011, 07:05 PM
As I said show me a player who wants to give back the money because of the hits and lingering effects. Also you want to make it safer make it across the board not just for certain players.

You think these guys like not being able to remember their playing days? To be like John Mackey and basically forget it all? Or worse, take your own life because of the effects?

Now that the league knows it's a real, serious, and deadly issue, they can't ignore it any longer.

Besides, the league's own players like Dominique Foxworth are fighting tooth and nail for better player safety. The players want it to.

stillers4me
08-19-2011, 07:07 PM
I love Terry's zaniness and I don't think it has anything to do with the hits he took.

O'Malley
08-19-2011, 07:13 PM

Thats just my opinion

He gets paid to be un-bias towards every team....

Iron Steeler
08-19-2011, 07:49 PM
He gets paid to be un-bias towards every team....

So does merrill Hodge....

Iron Steeler
08-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Why wouldn't he be more proud of being from Louisiana? Where you play your sport is nice, but your home is your home.

Ya the Louisiana point is probably moot . I wasn't try to compare his home town pride vs his steeler pride... I just feel like the guy never takes ownership of being a steeler... I know that announcers have to report unbiased opinions but tell me with a straight face that Jim Johnson(cowboys) , shannon sharpe(broncos) , merrill hodge (steelers) , bill cowher (steelers), antonio peirce (giants), tedy bruschi (patriots)... are all totally unbiased when they are reporting on their former team..

Maybe Terry just feel disconnected because its a generation thing...
maybe i feel disconnected because its a generation thing...

XxKnightxX
08-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Seems like it was usual Terry I think he was just nervous since he had to do more talking since Joe Buck had that throat issue. And as far as unbiased he didnt seem like that on the booth. If you watch the first TD to Brown you can hear hem say something the minute he broke open and Joe Buck even mentioned how he swung his arm as if he was on the field. The guy is a Steeler at hear, even if the Ben drama hasnt completely disappeared yet.

Butch
08-19-2011, 08:26 PM
You think these guys like not being able to remember their playing days? To be like John Mackey and basically forget it all? Or worse, take your own life because of the effects?

Now that the league knows it's a real, serious, and deadly issue, they can't ignore it any longer.

Besides, the league's own players like Dominique Foxworth are fighting tooth and nail for better player safety. The players want it to.

Not one of those players walked away from the game...not one. They knew what the sport was about and they chose to live with the consequences. All this player safety shit is only for certain players not all players.

Your statement about players wanting it is misleading at best. Not all players are buying off on these changes and they aint all Steelers either. "Go To Hell' wants it to justify penalizing players of certain teams while turning a blind eye to what other teams do. A way to enforce his will.

Chidi29
08-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Not one of those players walked away from the game...not one. They knew what the sport was about and they chose to live with the consequences. All this player safety shit is only for certain players not all players.

Your statement about players wanting it is misleading at best. Not all players are buying off on these changes and they aint all Steelers either. "Go To Hell' wants it to justify penalizing players of certain teams while turning a blind eye to what other teams do. A way to enforce his will.

Those players had no clue how serious a concussion could be. To them, it was shaking off the stars and then you were as good as new.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't these players make money but not ruin the rest of their lives in the process? It's a great business to be in if you can because you can financially secure yourself. But not at the high risk of ruining your mind and body.

Besides, the league is there for when the players are too stubborn to realize the risks because they think they're invincible. The league are parents an the players are the children.

I'm not saying all the player safety rules and changes are perfect. There are some changes I'd like to make myself. But player safety is going to increase as the knowledge of how devastating these injuries can be increases as well.

Chidi29
08-19-2011, 08:43 PM

But the individuals the players selected are. And all teams besides us ratified the CBA, accepting the rule changes.

Butch
08-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't these players make money but not ruin the rest of their lives in the process? It's a great business to be in if you can because you can financially secure yourself. But not at the high risk of ruining your mind and body.
It's the nature of the business there are a lot of jobs out there that people do that put their lives at risk for a whole lot less money but that's the price of doing business nothing more. Every day there is a soldier or police officer putting their lives on the line for a whole lot less then what NFL players make.

The league's policies are enforced as the league (Go To Hell) sees fit nothing is across the board. There are other players other than Steeler players who have stated as much some are very well respected for being above board as to their character. If they are so concerned with players safety why aren't the hits to Hines or Ben enforced? I don't buy that players feel invincible either they just want to play the game the way it was meant to be played. It is a physical and violent sport.

So which rules do you not like and why?

Chidi29
08-19-2011, 09:24 PM
It's the nature of the business there are a lot of jobs out there that people do that put their lives at risk for a whole lot less money but that's the price of doing business nothing more. Every day there is a soldier or police officer putting their lives on the line for a whole lot less then what NFL players make.

The league's policies are enforced as the league (Go To Hell) sees fit nothing is across the board. There are other players other than Steeler players who have stated as much some are very well respected for being above board as to their character. If they are so concerned with players safety why aren't the hits to Hines or Ben enforced? I don't buy that players feel invincible either they just want to play the game the way it was meant to be played. It is a physical and violent sport.

So which rules do you not like and why?

And those jobs have as many safety precautions as possible.

I'm not saying you'll be able to make this league free from harm. That's not going to happen, obviously. But if they can make the game safer, by all means do it.

I've said in the past I don't like some of the inconsisities of the rules. It seems like a product of the crackdown occuring mid-season. I'd like the rules to be as clear and concise as possible. That's my biggest gripe.

fansince'76
08-19-2011, 09:46 PM
The point is that the league is enacting these rules not to make the game wimpy, but to protect the player's after their careers are long gone.

I think it has more to do with reducing the league's liability in lawsuits more than any sincere concern for the players.

Chidi29
08-19-2011, 09:48 PM
I think it has more to do with reducing the league's liability in lawsuits more than any sincere concern for the players.

I agree. But at the same time, it does protect the players.

We can't ignore the stories and situations of past players.

oneforthetoe
08-19-2011, 10:00 PM

Bingo....... at least from the owners perspective, I'd say that is it.

Moose
08-20-2011, 05:16 AM
I like Terry. I always like listening to his stories and experiences. I think the travel had something to do with his mood, plus working with people he normally doesn't work with. I didn't really see much difference though in his normal actions. I think he's just a 'fun loving' guy who always tries to make people laugh and sometimes may try too hard to do that. Terry hasn't had the best of life or luck, as we all know. He hasn't had a bad life, but there were a lot of blocks thrown in his road. I'm glad he was in the booth.....I couldn't have imagined listening to Troy all night !!

Butch
08-20-2011, 05:56 AM
And those jobs have as many safety precautions as possible.

I'm not saying you'll be able to make this league free from harm. That's not going to happen, obviously. But if they can make the game safer, by all means do it.

I've said in the past I don't like some of the inconsisities of the rules. It seems like a product of the crackdown occuring mid-season. I'd like the rules to be as clear and concise as possible. That's my biggest gripe.

The NFL doesn't care if a rule is clear and concise. Just a few years back when Hines got fined the league officials met with him to explain things to him. When he was later interviewed he stated that he still had no idea of what was acceptable and what was not. Even Roddy White stated on Mike and Mike this very same problem although if I remember right he was talking about the shield as well.

The NFL uses the vague rules changes to the advantage of certain teams/players while handicapping others. If you want to make the league safer without interfering with the integrity of the game then do it where it can be enforced across the board, things like taking away the facemask or mandating a safer helmet or make teams play of real grass/dirt fields. I don't expect any of these (other than maybe the helmet) to be enforced but these are simply examples of rules that can be enforced across the boards without any bias enforcement.

tube517
08-20-2011, 08:31 AM
[QUOTE=Chidi29;193735]I agree. But at the same time, it does protect the players.

We can't ignore the stories and situations of past players.[/QUOTE

I don't think anyone here ignores the stories. This commissioner is not a visionary but a reactionary. He does nothing more than pander to the press like a politician. Long gone are the days of Rozelle and real commissioners. FS76 is dead on. He doesn't care about the players. If he really really cared, he would have set forth a real agenda when he took the position of commissioner and laid down the guidelines for improving player safety. He should've implemented these rule "changes" when he took office.

stillers4me
08-20-2011, 08:36 AM

Ding Ding Ding!!

Devilsdancefloor
08-20-2011, 09:06 AM
i think it is a combo of terrys zaniness + jet lag + lots of coffee+ being back in daburgh.

steeldevil
08-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Ya the Louisiana point is probably moot . I wasn't try to compare his home town pride vs his steeler pride... I just feel like the guy never takes ownership of being a steeler... I know that announcers have to report unbiased opinions but tell me with a straight face that Jim Johnson(cowboys) , shannon sharpe(broncos) , merrill hodge (steelers) , bill cowher (steelers), antonio peirce (giants), tedy bruschi (patriots)... are all totally unbiased when they are reporting on their former team..

Maybe Terry just feel disconnected because its a generation thing...
maybe i feel disconnected because its a generation thing...

I know these guys are biased. Aikman too. Listening to him and Buck doing a Cowboys game is sickening. Terry told several stories about his years with the Steelers during the game so I don't think he is completely unbiased.

TXSteelerFan
08-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Terry Bradshaw's not weird. He has struggled with depression since his playing days. I have days like the one he had last night in the booth. That's what I took from that last night, because I too noticed it. One weekend in July, I was in Buffalo for a wedding. And I was on. Total sugar high all weekend, so I wouldn't have any down moments. He didn't sound drunk to me last night...but I think he definitely tried to make sure he wouldn't be down. He was probably nervous, which can bring out symptoms. Before last night, when was the last time he was in the booth?

Like I said, I've never met the man, so I am never sure how he acted (I rarely watch fox sports as I'm more of a AFC conference person). I'm not doubting that he may have depression or anything else. Just basing it off of what I saw last night. I hope I didn't offend anyone by bringing up the subject.

I'll check it out, Thanks.

Butch
08-20-2011, 07:31 PM
I hope I didn't offend anyone by bringing up the subject.

LOL It's all good I really don't think anyone is offended by you posing an honest question. It really gives some of us a chance to provide what little insight we may have. Terry is the only Steeler I have had the pleasure to have met. I didn't agree with his comments about Ben last year, but I also don't hold it against him. I feel with Terry what you see is what you get. I think his heart is in the right place. I can also understand when his comments about Louisiana rub us the wrong way. It is what it is, but I still believe more than not Terry's got a soft spot for Steeler Nation. Hell he raised his arms when we scored against Philly.

Ya' know when I met him I had no idea he had problems returning to Pittsburgh. I am not from da' burgh or even Pennsylvania. Shortly after I met him he decided to brush the chip from his shoulder and I have to give him credit for that. He aint perfect by a long shot but then neither am I so I guess that makes him a little more human.

steelpinstripe87
08-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah, TX, no...I just didn't know if you knew about his mental condition. I'm sorry if I came across as being offended.