PDA

View Full Version : Is It Just Me....Or Did Ben Look Different?

suitanim
08-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Seemed more confident or mature or.........something. Can't put my finger on it. He made a couple plays that I can't remember seeing him make, couple little dump passes that weren't so much on his radar in the past. He seemed to be a little more alert or aware of the game going on around him.

I know he's never been a film junkie like some other QB's, but I have to wonder if he's not maybe taking his responsibilities a little more seriously than before.

Curious to see if anyone else had the same sense I did...

siss
08-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Our Quarterback is growing up!

Maybe Ben has been faking it for 7 year?

Maybe Steeler Nation should be thanking his QB whisperer?

Maybe we should also be sending Mrs. Big Ben roses for taming the beast?

I can't put my finger on it, but he did look different...

86WARD
08-19-2011, 09:10 AM
I thought he looked different...physically. A little thinner...but that could be just me...

BTW - Dude is married now...he's going to look different all the way around...lol.

steeldevil
08-19-2011, 09:12 AM
My girlfriend noticed that he was wearing his wedding band while playing. I didn't see it so IDK. Is that normal for players to do? I would imagine not...

86WARD
08-19-2011, 09:13 AM
I would doubt it is normal...

siss
08-19-2011, 09:23 AM
I have honestly never noticed if other players wear their weddings rings with other players, but I never looked either.

Count Steeler
08-19-2011, 09:40 AM
MVP season coming up. Whether he wins it or not is up to the idiots that adore Brady.

GodfatherofSoul
08-19-2011, 09:58 AM
BTW - Dude is married now...he's going to look different all the way around...lol.

The wallet in his back pocket is thinner, that's it.

86WARD
08-19-2011, 10:07 AM
The wallet in his back pocket is thinner, that's it.

Wimmins will do that to you...

Mamaduck43
08-19-2011, 10:16 AM
He did have some new moves..... He seems to have matured a huge amount in the past year... He has picked up the reins as the leader of the team that he sort of ignored in the past... I like the 'new' Ben, and I feel that this 'growth' can be the best thing that has happened to the Steelers in years... When all is said and done, he will be on the top of everybody's QB rankings, and rightfully so....

katmandu
08-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Our Quarterback is growing up!Yup. No longer young and STUPID!

SteelerEmpire
08-19-2011, 10:18 AM
I got a feeling of solid maturity from the whole team. It's a fact, we have the most starters over 30 of any team. So there should be no problem with ANY of the mental aspects of the game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-19-2011, 10:53 AM
I think its the first time in 2 or 3 seasons he hasnt had to answer questions about a sexual assault case. That might have something to do with his preparation and confidence.

tube517
08-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Wimmins will do that to you...

That's what got him into trouble in the first place

:peep:

GutterflowerSteel
08-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Yes, I noticed a difference in his whole demeanor - I couldn't put my finger on it at the time. Actually, the whole team just seemed like they were in mid-season form, ready to do damage to any team that gets in the way. AND THEY DID! bam-bam-bam 3 INTs on Vick - that was beauty :tt02:

Iron Steeler
08-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Seemed more confident or mature or.........something. Can't put my finger on it. He made a couple plays that I can't remember seeing him make, couple little dump passes that weren't so much on his radar in the past. He seemed to be a little more alert or aware of the game going on around him.

I know he's never been a film junkie like some other QB's, but I have to wonder if he's not maybe taking his responsibilities a little more seriously than before.

Curious to see if anyone else had the same sense I did...
He didn't force many place. Or relied on his ability to extend a play. He reacted quicker then usual on what the defense was throwing at him. Example the play to mwelede moore was an awesome read. Loved that play. I got a feeling ben in gonna have his best season this year

stillers4me
08-19-2011, 12:26 PM
That's what love will do to ya.... :heh:

siss
08-19-2011, 12:47 PM
That's what love will do to ya.... :heh:

Im thinking that if he plays the way he did last night all season, perhaps Steeler Nation should chip in for some roses to Mrs. Big Ben. :thumbsup:

Most of the times you hear about a guy getting married in passing and they might talk about it a little. In Ben's case it's glaringly obvious that marriage has been good for him. And a happy QB, is a winning QB, and a winning QB brings home Lombardi's.

And yes writing about Benny's obvious marital bliss is very hard!

steelpride12
08-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Ben looks like he is in the best shape of his life and career right now. He stayed out of trouble this offseason and looks like he worked hard to be in his best mental and physical condition possible.

Bluecoat96
08-19-2011, 12:58 PM
One advantage to the lighter practice load is that the players have had a lot more time in the classroom for film study and such. I remember reading an article that quoted Farrior mentioning that they'd never spent so much time in "class." Maybe that's one of the reasons for Ben's maturity as well?

Count Steeler
08-19-2011, 01:11 PM
I guess his foot is no longer an issue? Stay healthy Ben, Ashley and Steeler Nation are looking forward to this year, the true year of Redemption.

The Duke
08-19-2011, 01:30 PM
I guess his foot is no longer an issue? Stay healthy Ben, Ashley and Steeler Nation are looking forward to this year, the true year of Redemption.

if i remember correctly, an article earlier this year mentioned how the foot will always be an issue, but a tolerable one

86WARD
08-19-2011, 02:58 PM
He eventually put medical tape over the ring...lol.

GBMelBlount
08-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Ben looked solid last night. I am sure we will know soon if he has finally matured...let's hope so.

stillers4me
08-19-2011, 04:19 PM

Do all football fans notice this stuff about their team....or are Steelers fans just that anal? :lol:

GutterflowerSteel
08-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Do all football fans notice this stuff about their team....or are Steelers fans just that anal? :lol:
It's us :tt02: There's no other fanbase like ours :nod:

86WARD
08-19-2011, 04:47 PM

I only noticed it in this picture after it was stated here...lol.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2011/09000d5d82190b36_gallery_600.jpg

siss
08-19-2011, 05:41 PM
He's been putting medical tape over it all through training camp and last pre-season game.

stillers4me
08-19-2011, 05:43 PM
He's been putting medical tape over it all through training camp and last pre-season game.

Our QB.....pussywhipped??? :lol:

Craic
08-19-2011, 05:44 PM
My girlfriend noticed that he was wearing his wedding band while playing. I didn't see it so IDK. Is that normal for players to do? I would imagine not...

I'd hope not. Jam the finger and the ring has to be cut off.

steelerdiva
08-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Our Quarterback is growing up!

*Sniff* Don't it make ya proud?

stillers4me
08-19-2011, 05:50 PM
*Sniff* Don't it make ya proud?

Immensley!

Welcome to SU!! :tt03:

steeldawg
08-19-2011, 06:29 PM
I dont think he really looked different, I think the young recievers are finally maturing and are starting to read what ben is reading, which makes us a very well oiled machine.

siss
08-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Our QB.....pussywhipped??? :lol:
But with Ben, is that a bad thing?

I mean we all know Giselle carries Tom Bradys balls in her purse. And Tiger Woods had his cut off by Elin. But with Ben it's like a good thing...well for now anyway...but still its cute that he wont take his ring off.

XxKnightxX
08-19-2011, 08:17 PM
I only noticed it in this picture after it was stated here...lol.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2011/09000d5d82190b36_gallery_600.jpg

He honestly looked like 23 year old Rookie Ben. Hes in great shape.

zulater
08-19-2011, 09:23 PM
I've been saying it all offseason, this will be Ben's breakout season, I predict he'll be in the running for league MVP all year. Not that he hasn't been great since day one, but I've always felt that his game could go up a notch if the circumstances align right, and this will be that year.

86WARD
08-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Lol...breakout year? Three Super Bowls and 2 Championships later? How do you mean breakout? Finally getting Manning/Brady recognition?

BTW-when I say Manning, I mean Eli...b/c he's on the same level as Brady.

;)

Count Steeler
08-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Lol...breakout year? Three Super Bowls and 2 Championships later?

Scary isn't it? He has only just begun. He wants to win at least 5.

86WARD
08-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Scary isn't it? He has only just begun. He wants to win at least 5.

Very and I could only hope he wins another...Damn Mendenhall fumble!!!

tihmtahm
08-20-2011, 12:35 AM
One thing I noticed was after the blatantly late hit on Ben early in the 1st Q... Ben got up and had a look like, "I can't believe they didn't call that." But he didn't chase down a ref, he didn't cry and whine about it... He simply moved on. I loved that! Big Ben is all grow'd up!

Moose
08-20-2011, 04:56 AM
LOL, just like a few mentioned here on the board, my wife and daughter picked up on him wearing a wedding ring immediately also. Amazing how the female mind works !!

SteelerFanInStl
08-20-2011, 08:59 AM
I said it in another thread but I have a feeling that our offense is going to break out big this year with Ben leading the way.

ALLD
08-20-2011, 11:38 AM
He lost weight and looks in shape from not drinking and working out. Also looks more confident, maybe from knowing he doesn't have to hustle loose chicks to get what he wants from them. Probably a more stable home life, so he can concentrate more on football.

zulater
08-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Lol...breakout year? Three Super Bowls and 2 Championships later? How do you mean breakout? Finally getting Manning/Brady recognition?

BTW-when I say Manning, I mean Eli...b/c he's on the same level as Brady.

;)

Breakout year, meaning he'll be in the running for MVP all season and will receive first team all NFL consideration, neither of which he's ever done before

86WARD
08-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Breakout year, meaning he'll be in the running for MVP all season and will receive first team all NFL consideration, neither of which he's ever done before

So he'll finally be in the Manning/Brady/MVP talk. I'd like to see that. I don't think he will get a lot of publicity though cause he's not the media darling that some of the other QBs are...and that could hurt his chances.

86WARD
08-20-2011, 12:57 PM
I hope you are right though!!

XxKnightxX
08-20-2011, 04:27 PM
One thing I noticed was after the blatantly late hit on Ben early in the 1st Q... Ben got up and had a look like, "I can't believe they didn't call that." But he didn't chase down a ref, he didn't cry and whine about it... He simply moved on. I loved that! Big Ben is all grow'd up!

Yeah but a small talk wouldnt be bad to the ref. Im sure the office of officiating will talk to the refs and they are in pre season form as well. It was a blatant cheap shot. Im more mad the O line didnt notice that. IF i was the O lineman and saw him do that i would of clipped him in the legs.