PDA

View Full Version : Five takeaways from the Steelers-Eagles preseason game

stillers4me
08-19-2011, 05:40 AM
I'm never one to make much of the preseason, especially with rosters being shuffled and key players being out ... But this was an old-school beatdown. I don't care if the game was being played in August or January. The Eagles got hammered by the Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011081852/2011/PRE2/eagles@steelers) in every aspect. It was ugly and the Eagles' staff is going to have to dissect this corpse and see what it can bring to life for the third preseason game, which is usually the dress rehearsal for the regular season.Here's what I took away from the game:

The Steelers got the memo. Coach Mike Tomlin was steamed after they got out-muscled by the Washington Redskins (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/teams/washingtonredskins/profile?team=WAS) in the preseason opener (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011081253/2011/PRE1/steelers@redskins), and the Steelers came to play on both sides of the ball Thursday night. They beat up the Eagles at the line of scrimmage and created an array of big plays. It seemed to me that the Steelers schemed up pretty good on defense and took more of a regular-season approach. The power-run game was a point of emphasis and they gouged Philadelphia's first string for 93 rushing yards in the first half, while throwing for 192 and three touchdowns. Michael Vick (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/players/michaelvick/profile?id=VIC311467) never got comfortable, throwing five completions to three interceptions in a half of work and the Eagles' biggest offensive play went for 16 yards. Pittsburgh posted consecutive 14-play, 7:30-plus touchdown drives to open the game and outgained the Eagles 262-71 in the first half. Yeah, I'd call that a statement.

Big Ben is better than ever. I'm buying the new-married-changed Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/players/benroethlisberger/profile?id=ROE750381). He's going to do damage over a full 16-game season, ......................

Read more and watch video @ http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8219132e/article/five-takeaways-from-the-steelerseagles-preseason-game?campaign=Twitter_news

GBMelBlount
08-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Completely dominant performance and a complete turnaround from week 1.

I agree this could be Ben's year and a healthy Troy on defense can make all the difference on D.

Still a bit concerned about the O line of course.

86WARD
08-19-2011, 06:43 AM
If Gilbert continues the play that he showed against Cole last night, we are in for a nice treat. Combine that with the play of Hills (who was great) and the O line could be a smaller problem than we thought...hyperextensions to Gilbert and Scott...no worries according to Tomlin.

smokin3000gt
08-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Everything I saw looked great but my biggest concern if the hits BB is still taking behind the line. It's hard to stay healthy taking hits all game.

Burghfan58
08-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Everything I saw looked great but my biggest concern if the hits BB is still taking behind the line. It's hard to stay healthy taking hits all game.
You mean like the one he took 3 seconds after he released the ball and there was no call?

TXSteelerFan
08-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Wooohooo! Great game Steelers... Even backups played well! Very happy with the results, even second team did well against Vick/Young.

A big plus I got from this game was I got to pull out my terrible towel for the first time this year!

Nadroj 20
08-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Vick throws 3 ints and should have thrown a 4th because Timmons knocked a pass down that Troy had a read on and would have easily picked off. But I can't place blame on Timmons for making a good play (he didn't know what was going on behind him). Just saying Vick sucked last night :chuckle:

Edman
08-19-2011, 09:14 AM

Yeah, like the one he took low a good three seconds after he already threw the pass. Like those? Yeah, those suck.

Like last year, the rules that apply to other QB's don't apply to Ben.

Nadroj 20
08-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Yeah, like the one he took low a good three seconds after he already threw the pass. Like those? Yeah, those suck.

I was screaming for a flag on that one. Late AND Low. If it was Brady they woulda thrown 3 flags..

86WARD
08-19-2011, 10:15 AM

Thinking the same bull shit

suitanim
08-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Lefty took a shot helmet-to-helmet too. Aikman was quick to point out that the rule had relaxed a bit from lat year, but, I'm sorry. Had that same exact shot been delivered to Brady, there would have been laundry all over the field.

smokin3000gt
08-19-2011, 10:47 AM
You mean like the one he took 3 seconds after he released the ball and there was no call?

Yup. Exactly like that one there. I was screaming at the TV. If you want to let the QB's play and get hit that fine I'm all for it but that shit has to go against everyone!

Lefty took a shot helmet-to-helmet too. Aikman was quick to point out that the rule had relaxed a bit from lat year, but, I'm sorry. Had that same exact shot been delivered to Brady, there would have been laundry all over the field.

Or if J. Harrison delivered any of those late, low, or helmet to helmet hits there would not only be flags and first downs, but also fines.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Maybe its the level of competition he is facing, but I thought Donovan Warren looked good in the secondary again last night. Hey played the 2nd team and nickel CB role rather well. I'd take that away as he has a shot at CB.

KeiselPower99
08-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Warren impressed me trhroughout the game. I know he was only out there due to us not having 4 of our CBs but I think he needs to have a real shot to make the team.

suitanim
08-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Good call on Warren...I was thinking that too. Plus, he was in the whole game if I'm not mistaken. I don't really care who ends up making the roster/contributing at CB, I just want them to be better than William Gay.

The Duke
08-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Warren was everywhere last night

I can't see him not making the team

Count Steeler
08-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Warren should at least make the Special Teams.

SteelerFanInStl
08-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Yea, Warren looked good. I also gotta give credit to Keenan Lewis. I thought that he played much better last night.

GitNoLuv
08-20-2011, 09:07 AM
So how do the two preseason games you've played compare/contrast (overall)? Where do the Steelers look like they are at with relatively no offseason? (I can't imagine they're too bad off after returning like 20 starters from last year.)