PDA

View Full Version : Preseason: Week One Thoughts

Chidi29
08-17-2011, 03:44 AM
Even though we lost, I'm just glad football is back and we get to watch our Steelers. Let's get into the breakdown.

First Half

- Here are the kickoff times for the Steelers for the whole game. Suisham: 4.26 (-8) - Waters: 3.76 (-9)

- Because there is so much talk about the kickoffs being moved up, I'm trying to gather as much data on it as I can. In addition, here are the Redskins times. 4.2 (out of end zone), 3.97 (-8), 4.03 (out EZ), 3.8 (out EZ), 3.89 (out EZ).

Little early to draw conclusions right now. Need more time and data to observe the effects.

- We started the game in the Full House with Heath and Johnson in the backfield. Wallace was the lone receiver.

- Line to start the game: J.Scott, Legursky, Pouncey, C.Scott, Colon

- Ben actually overthrew Wallace for once.

- Too hard for me to tell who the starting gunners were. The previous play's replay overlapped the punt. Hate the camerawork of the local crew. If I had to guess, it was Gay and Dwyer or Brinkley.

- Looked like Clark started at SS and Mundy at free.

- Cromartie-Smith replaced Clark when he got injured.

- Some lazy tackling on the Darrell Young catch and run. Mundy didn't give much effort and there's no way a big FB should be spinning away. Keisel didn't try to wrap up either.

- Give credit to the way Hampton played. He showed a really good first step and got a lot of penetration. Seems to have kept himself in shape, something a lot of DTs around the league haven't (Marcus Harrison, Paul Soali).

- Foster replaced Legursky after the first series.

- Leftwich overthrew Brown. That's what the preseason is for. Getting the timing down.

- Have to love Pouncey sticking up for Wallace and jawing with Hall in the preseason.

- Armand Robinson was the right gunner on the second punt. Really got jammed at the line and contributed to the long return by Banks.
Grisham was the other gunner.

http://i55.tinypic.com/15wjf4o.jpg

- Line in the 3rd series: Hills, Foster, Legursky, C.Scott, Jolly

- Breakdown of failed 3rd and 1 conversion in the 2nd quarter. NT Cofield swims to the outside of Legursky and fills the running lane. Disappointing since Cofield is shaded to the right of Doug, all the center has to do is seal down. Also, there's a slight shift by Kerrigan at the last second. He moves a step to the inside and gets inside and past David Johnson. Moore is stuffed.

- People clamoring for more press coverage and critcize the secondary for not making plays. Press is part of the reason why. DBs can't react to the ball immediately because they've turned and started to run with the receiver. When he makes his cut, there has to be a reaction from the corner which takes a moment. He can no longer break on the ball; rather, he breaks on the receiver. A big part of receivers running underneath routes, or really any routes that aren't streaks, is getting to the corner to turn and run. Just something to chew on.

- 1st and 10, 6:45 left in 2nd. Pass play. Heyward runs over the LG.

- One thing I'm surprised teams don't try more often on us in the run game. Zone blocking concepts. Cincy has had a lot of success with it against us. The stretch plays. Let the running back use his vision and pick his gap. Instead of trying to block man on and overpower us, something you're not going to do, move us out of the way. Keisel isn't that hard to move. Again, the Bengals have given him all kinds of trouble. All Washington used were inside/outside zone runs. It's simple but effective and the only way you're going to run on us.

- 1st Redskins TD. Brought both ILBs, Sly and Foote. Left the middle wide open. TE Fred Davis ran a corner route with Moss running a cross underneath it. Created a rub and forced Mundy to go over the top to get to him. Left Moss more than open enough to score. Good blitz pickup and play execution from Washington and Kyle Shanahan.

http://i52.tinypic.com/161j1fr.jpg

- Jamie McCoy working as a FB/TE hybrid.

- Barry Cofield was having a field day against Legursky. Very quick hands left Doug clutching at air more than once. Issue with "T-Rex" being limited athletically and having short arms.

- Good block from Antonio Brown on Redman's TD.

- Red Zone continues to keep his legs churning. A load to bring down.

- Sly knocked off an O-line's helmet on a blitz.

- Deep ball to Moss late in the 2nd quarter. Off coverage from Warren and he blanketed the receiver. Just sayin...

- What appears to be a very heads up play from Heyward. 2nd and 10, 3:58 left in the second. TE motions away from Cam's side, RE. We see narrow splits from the receivers and assumes a stretch to the strong side, away from himself. He moves laterally right off the snap instead of engaging with the tackle/guard, fights off a cut block, and helps make the tackle.

- Just something to keep in mind. A play we like to run out of our Trips Bunch. Saw them run it over and over in practice, too. Flat route, block and release if it's a TE, a curl, and a deep in. Far side "X" receiver looks for a back shoulder throw or maybe a streak depending on the coverage. Not entirely sure what his role is.

- I've been wondering this for awhile and think I've figured it out. We'll pull our center to defend against CB blitzes. Saw an instance of it Friday. Any tackle won't have a chance of stopping him from the edge so we pull the lineman on an angle to get there quicker. The RG and RT crash down to their left to compensate for the fact the center has left.

http://i53.tinypic.com/afkj6o.jpg

- Ed Nelson met the preseason's quota of "comparing Grisham to Welker". This again proves it doesn't matter about Welker's intelligence and work ethic. You're a clone provided you are white and short.

- Brinkley and Robinson were gunners right before the half. Again, Robinson can't beat the jam.

- Late in the second half. Looked like Cromartie was at FS and Mundy at strong.

Second Half

- O-line to start the half: Hills, Williams, Malecki, C.Scott, Jolly

- Lyons likely suffered a concussion. Hit his head really hard off the ground. He did not practice the following Sunday.

- Next offensive line group. Gilbert, Williams, Malecki, Hills, Jolly

- Tony Hills will be starting at right guard Thursday.

- Saunders was mainly used standing up in the slot. Rarely down in a three point.

- Ryan Mundy with a quality game sans the one poor tackle attempt. Hard-hitting and solid tackling. Much more comfortable with him as a backup safety.

- Ditto with Cromartie-Smith. Looked like a missle out there. Will Allen is definitely no lock to make the team this year. Remember that DCS lost his chance at making the team after a shoulder injury in the third preseason game.

- 12 men on the field on the FG. We actually had 13 and one ran off as we were getting set. Thank God it's the preseason.

- Sonny Harris injury. The 3rd down before the FG attempt. Planted his right foot wrong pulling up, immediately started hopping on his left. Waived/injured. Will land on IR after clearing waivers.

- Terrence McRae also getting time as a gunner.

- Sly with a good first step and jump off snap.

- Kenneth Moore with time at KR/PR.

- O-line mid-way through 4th. Gilbert, Williams, Malecki, McKaskill, Turner

- Another Trips Bunch combo. Fair inside guy runs curl to middle of field, next runs curl straight ahead, outside guy runs an out. All break at a little past five yards.

- Bad snap to Dixon was short. Malecki's fault.

- Sizeable punt return by Washington late in game. Again the gunners, can't tell who they were, couldn't get off the line and ended up weaving through the sidelines.

- Get out the oxygen tanks! Six guys with hands on their hips.

http://i51.tinypic.com/140eyax.jpg

- Anthony Gray was really getting worn out. Pancaked on the following play.

- Pompeani on Baraka Atkins. Has "good abilities". Thanks Bob!

- Corbin Bryant looked good in limited work. Excellent upper body strength and got penetration.

- Dixon needs to keep the ball tucked to his body when on the run past the LOS. Had it loose and away from the body on both scrambles. Ugh.

- Gilbert and Williams did an excellent job picking up one stunt. Couple rookies using their heads.

- Chris Scott didn't look special. Really struggled getting to the 2nd level a big key for any RG in this ZBS.

- The scouting report on Keith Williams looked spot on. Good run blocker and didn't look shabby when pulling but awful in pass protection. Bad first punch and the DL is constantly in control.

- Gilbert with quick feet at LT. Also able to push the end upfield when neeed be.

- Trevis Turner slow and late off the snap.

- Chris Carter was usually washed out of run plays. Redshirt this year, hit the weight room, and then we'll talk.

- Willing to give Dixon a pass on....pass plays. Playing with an all rookie line and inexperienced receivers. Timing is everything in the passing game and any throws that may have looked off the mark by Dixon could have easily been the receiver's fault. Being slow out of his breaks, rounding off his cuts, etc.

- With that said, I still think he's an awful QB.

- Sweed with no snaps at receiver. Maybe a few snaps as a jammer but that's it.

- Heyward showed excellent hustle.

Sacks

- 3rd and 7. 2:07 left in 1st. 10 personnel, 4 WR.

Redskins bring six, including CB. Pouncey pulls to left to pick up blitz. Johnson in the backfield also looks that way. Chris Scott should've sealed down immediately knowing the "A" gap is wide open. But he hesitates for a moment. Bowen runs in free and dumps Leftiwch.

It's a tough play for Scott because it's possible the LE and LOLB could've blitzed, the 'backer peeled off, but you have to take the inside guy. Let the OLB run free and Leftwich step up. Quarterback can't do a thing if a lineman is coming right at him. Especially with a QB who runs at the speed of smell.

- 3rd and 8, 9:10 left in 4th. Shotgun, 11 personnel. TE and RB in backfield.

Line thought blitz would come from left, came from right. RB James Johnson sees it too late and Saunders gets a deer in the headlights look.

Sack Counter

Chris Scott: 1
Wes Saunders: 1

Players Who Did Not Play (non-injury)

Vaughn Charlton, Will Allen, Colin Miller

News of the Weird

Please tell me someone doesn't own a Jonathan Scott jersey. Hoping it's just a custom.

http://i55.tinypic.com/wvy3ns.jpg

86WARD
08-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Not only did Ben overthrow Wallace, so did Byron. Nice breakdown Chidi...

I plan on watching the game again tonight or perhaps this weekend. I'll keep the notes with me.

Pittsburgh43
08-17-2011, 11:45 AM
I'd have to go with 12-4, maybe 13-3.

The first 9 games are tough with the likes of @Baltimore, @Houston, @Indy and home games against New England and Baltimore. We do have very winnable games of Seattle, @Arizona, Jacksonville and Tennessee sprinkled in there. I consider no game a guarantee, but we do catch somewhat of a break in the 2nd half. Starting out the stretch run with away games at Cincy and Kansas City, the season closes with Cincy, Cleveland, @San Francisco, St. Louis and @Cleveland all in a row. We'll close out the AFC North during that run, and possibly the #1 overall seed in the AFC.

Pittsburgh43
08-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Damn it, wrong thread.

I did read this though, Chidi. Nice evaluation.

vader29
08-17-2011, 12:39 PM
News of the Weird

Please tell me someone doesn't own a Jonathan Scott jersey. Hoping it's just a custom.

http://i55.tinypic.com/wvy3ns.jpg

Could maybe be a Leon Searcy jersey? Very good evaluation of the game Chidi.

fansince'76
08-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Could maybe be a Leon Searcy jersey? Very good evaluation of the game Chidi.

I was thinking a Moon Mullins "retro player meets new jersey style" type of thing. :lol:

Nice breakdown, Chidi. :drink:

Austin87
08-18-2011, 03:21 AM
Good stuff. Very insightful.

Count Steeler
08-18-2011, 05:31 AM
I always look forward to your breakdowns Chidi29. Thanks.