PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Hills climbs into new role at right guard

stillers4me
08-16-2011, 05:09 AM
The Steelers have opened a drive-thru window at the right-guard position in their offensive line, hoping the next person in line is just what they ordered.

Tackle Chris Scott, a fifth-round pick in 2010, was the most recent to pass through, getting a chance to play extensively in the preseason opener Friday night against the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field. But, in his first extensive action since being drafted, Scott had the window close quickly.

Next in line: Tony Hills.

Remember him?..............

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11228/1167600-66-0.stm

Steeldude
08-16-2011, 05:42 AM
when are they going to let this joke go? i am more worried about the LT than the RG.

86WARD
08-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Sink or swim time...

Austin87
08-16-2011, 08:33 AM
It would be awesome if Hills could actually contribute this season.

steeldevil
08-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Hills starting? Must mean he is 3294563265 times better at RG than he is at LT....

Texasteel
08-16-2011, 08:49 AM
A failed OT could turn into a good OG. Right now I would like to see anything out of hill.

suitanim
08-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Hills graded out very well against the Redskins. Glad to see they may be able to put him to good use.

Too bad they didn't try to be more utilitarian with Dennis Dixon.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-16-2011, 11:20 AM
A failed OT could turn into a good OG. Right now I would like to see anything out of hill.

Yeah, I think its a matter of trying to put your best 5 linemen on the field somehow. Getting pretty lean when Jon Scott and Tony Hills are 2 of the 5. I hope he can contribute after this being his 4th training camp.

86WARD
08-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Guard ain't really the issues...

Psycho Ward 86
08-16-2011, 04:39 PM
i thought Hills' candle of went out long ago. I hope he doesnt just contribute, but contributes well.

86WARD
08-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Hills was GREAT last night...I must admit...very impressed with how he and Gilbert played.

Edman
08-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Well, what do you think about him NOW? He was incredible last night.

86WARD
08-19-2011, 10:09 AM
He might help salvage that 2008 draft class if he keeps that type if play up...lol. He was solid.

suitanim
08-19-2011, 10:19 AM
when are they going to let this joke go? i am more worried about the LT than the RG.

"Let this joke go"?

As in...........cut him?

You are almost beginning to become a caricature of yourself.

katmandu
08-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Hills was GREAT last night...I must admit...very impressed with how he and Gilbert playedX2. Hills is obviously a late bloomer. Everything I've read and seen about Hills this season indicates he's coming on strong and will be a very productive starter for us.

The coaches say he is the most athletic O/L on the squad! That's saying a LOT folks!

Too many of you are too quick to throw slow developing players under the bus!

Have you ever heard of a man named... James Harrison ???

steeldevil
08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
He has looked much better thats for sure. As long as the injuries are not serious, I still dont see him starting unless its at RG. But I can certainly say that if he keeps his pace up that he deserves to make the team as a backup. Good for Hills.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Hills should make the 53 this year on merit instead of "potential". He played well, but let's be careful before we anoint him as the next great Steelers LT. I'd be happy if he solidifies the RG position.

Kind of becoming the new utility O lineman like Essex was, just not as fat and slow as Essex.

Steeldude
08-19-2011, 01:53 PM
"Let this joke go"?

As in...........cut him?

You are almost beginning to become a caricature of yourself.

still trolling the MB. as i stated before, if you do not like a person's posts then ignore them. you get all upset and start crying because people have differing opinions than your own.

try to be happy and not so negative all of the time. we all understand that you agree with whatever the steelers do. if they put hills at QB you would call it a great idea. if they re-signed kordell you would say it's fantastic. you need to remember not everyone is a lemming like you. people have their own thoughts/opinions. the sooner you accept that fact the sooner you will be happy.

Chidi29
08-19-2011, 02:08 PM
It's unfortunate the team couldn't get a longer look at him at guard after the injuries. Though I think he kicked back inside after the reserve lineman started playing.

suitanim
08-19-2011, 04:36 PM
still trolling the MB. as i stated before, if you do not like a person's posts then ignore them. you get all upset and start crying because people have differing opinions than your own.

try to be happy and not so negative all of the time. we all understand that you agree with whatever the steelers do. if they put hills at QB you would call it a great idea. if they re-signed kordell you would say it's fantastic. you need to remember not everyone is a lemming like you. people have their own thoughts/opinions. the sooner you accept that fact the sooner you will be happy.

How about addressing the content of the post? Like answering why you want Hills gone?

Steeldude
08-19-2011, 05:49 PM
How about addressing the content of the post? Like answering why you want Hills gone?

i have stated why before. shouldn't you know that since you claim to obsessively read all of my posts? also, why would you care? all that's going to happen is you are going to start crying as you always do. you know with your usual rants of, "you are mean" or "you are negative" blah blah blah...

suitanim
08-19-2011, 06:50 PM
i have stated why before. shouldn't you know that since you claim to obsessively read all of my posts? also, why would you care? all that's going to happen is you are going to start crying as you always do. you know with your usual rants of, "you are mean" or "you are negative" blah blah blah...
So you want Hills cut. Even though it looks like he might end up being our starting guard.
Hell, that makes about as much sense as all the other garbage you post, so......

As far as the other tripe, I don't obsessively read your posts. It's clear that you barely understand the game of football...but I do think you are the poster child for negative ignorance and you represent the lowest common denominator.

Now run along and whine to the mods about how I was mean to you again so they'll remove all my posts...

suitanim
08-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, any other starters you'd cut, braniac? Ben? Lines? Harrison?

XxKnightxX
08-19-2011, 08:19 PM
X2. Hills is obviously a late bloomer. Everything I've read and seen about Hills this season indicates he's coming on strong and will be a very productive starter for us.

The coaches say he is the most athletic O/L on the squad! That's saying a LOT folks!

Too many of you are too quick to throw slow developing players under the bus!

Have you ever heard of a man named... James Harrison ???

Ill never forget that one play in College in which he pulled from the LT spot all the way to the 7 technique on a trap play for VY

Iron Steeler
08-19-2011, 08:32 PM

You probably have the most insight on this kid. being a long horn and everything... what do you think Tex will he work at Gaurd?

Wasnt he a highschool TE turned Tackle?

Steeldude
08-20-2011, 02:07 AM
Just out of curiosity, any other starters you'd cut, braniac? Ben? Lines? Harrison?

still trolling. is there anything you else you can do? you are always whining about someone. don't you think it's time to grow up? just keep drinking your milk and it may happen :thumbsup:

since when is hills a starter?

why would i want the mods to remove your posts? i want everyone to see your insipid rants. perhaps the mods removed your posts because they were trash. it's no coincindence that so many find you to be a troll. it's not only from this MB, but the steelers fever board as well. how does this make you feel : )

So you want Hills cut. Even though it looks like he might end up being our starting guard

so you were all for kordell being the QB. i wanted him cut the day they decided to make him the starting QB. you of course disagreed because, as we all know, you are incapable of creating a personal thought/opinion. don't forget, you wanted sweed cut before giving him a chance. hills can't even supplant scott or essex as a tackle. how many years has hills had now?

I don't obsessively read your posts

sure you do. you are an obsessed fan of mine who cannot help but follow my every word. i control you from behind a keyboard. let me guess, you will reply back whining and spewing out more insults...lol

86WARD
08-20-2011, 06:03 AM
I don't know...have you watched Hills in the first two games? He's been the most impressive lineman the Steelers have had out there...

GBMelBlount
08-20-2011, 07:19 AM
I would love to see Hills pan out and will certainly give the Steelers credit for giving him enough time to transition if he does....however a few good games does not translate to a successful pro career.

Regardless, I am really, really hopeful that Hills has FINALLY hit his stride because we need ALL the help we can get shoring up the o line.

ALLD
08-20-2011, 08:09 AM
We should try and trade Dixon for an OL.

SteelerFanInStl
08-20-2011, 08:48 AM
I would love to see Hills turn into a good OL for us but I'm not holding my breath. The fact is that he hasn't even been able to get on the field since he was drafted. I'll be watching him a little closer for the final two preseason games. I hope that he's turned the corner and is ready to step up.

43Hitman
08-20-2011, 08:49 AM
You probably have the most insight on this kid. being a long horn and everything... what do you think Tex will he work at Gaurd?

Wasnt he a highschool TE turned Tackle?

Oh no, my man TS is a die hard Hawkeye.

suitanim
08-21-2011, 10:45 AM
still trolling. is there anything you else you can do? you are always whining about someone. don't you think it's time to grow up? just keep drinking your milk and it may happen :thumbsup:

since when is hills a starter?

why would i want the mods to remove your posts? i want everyone to see your insipid rants. perhaps the mods removed your posts because they were trash. it's no coincindence that so many find you to be a troll. it's not only from this MB, but the steelers fever board as well. how does this make you feel : )

so you were all for kordell being the QB. i wanted him cut the day they decided to make him the starting QB. you of course disagreed because, as we all know, you are incapable of creating a personal thought/opinion. don't forget, you wanted sweed cut before giving him a chance. hills can't even supplant scott or essex as a tackle. how many years has hills had now?

sure you do. you are an obsessed fan of mine who cannot help but follow my every word. i control you from behind a keyboard. let me guess, you will reply back whining and spewing out more insults...lol

WTF are you taking about Stewart for? Why do you incorrectly attribute defending him to me? I mean, is that all you got? I consistently refer to "Kordoza Line" (look it up, as I'm sure you're as clueless to that as just about everything else you post) as a reference to the incredible mediocrity of the dude. Please at least find something I actually said before you rip me up for it. It's beyond retarded.

Sweed was a bust from day one. How does me calling that out make me wrong, when, in fact, YOU'RE the idiot bashing the second-best looking lineman on our team? The hypocrisy is only overshadowed by the arrogant ignorance.

I mean, when the best and only defense you have is to ignore content and incorrectly attribute support for a player that I didn't support, that pretty much sums your posting up. Most of the rest of what you typed, as usual, is even worse idiocy. And how would calling an idiot a idiot who continually posts idiocy make me a fan?

For instance, tell us Woodley is "fat and slow" again.

Garbage in
Garbage out.

suitanim
08-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Or how Arians can't beat a 3-4, when his record in 09 was 6-2 vs the 3-4, and 3-5 vs the 4-3.
Or how the Steelers "neglect inserting talent on the OL" when they spent last years first and this years second on the OL.
Or how "anybody can be a Steelers LB because it's plug-n-play"
Or how Ike was leaving a for a bigger paycheck.

That's all the stupidy I can remember now without actually looking it up.

And WTF is your constant obsession with Kordell Stewart? That dude has been off our team for years. Nobody gives a fuck about him anymore but you...

X-Terminator
08-21-2011, 12:42 PM
OK guys, let's cool your jets here. It's starting to get a bit out of hand. Please use the ignore feature if you don't want to read each others' posts.

Thanks.

86WARD
08-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Hills Play Breakdown:

Played 58 out of 73 plays on Friday...First Series - 14 plays at RG; Plays 15 to 45 at LT; 45 to 58 at RG.

tihmtahm
08-21-2011, 02:38 PM
The "Kordoza Line" lol! That's cold! Regardless of what anybody says (and I know I'll be pelted with rotten fruit and veggies for saying this...) I always liked Kordell and I wish his career would have been better... Not the face... Not the face... :behindsofa:

Steeldude
08-21-2011, 05:08 PM
OK guys, let's cool your jets here. It's starting to get a bit out of hand. Please use the ignore feature if you don't want to read each others' posts.

Thanks.

i didn't start this. i am not the one trolling. it's suitanim as usual just as he did on the other forum. i have asked him and mentioned to him to use the ignore feature, but he insists on stalking and obsessing over my every post.

this reminds me of the refs in the NFL. for example, if BR gets punched the refs overlook it, but if a steelers' player retaliates it then the ref steps in.

86WARD
08-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Why don't you two wimmins start your own bitchfest thread?

Steeldude
08-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Or how Arians can't beat a 3-4, when his record in 09 was 6-2 vs the 3-4, and 3-5 vs the 4-3.
Or how the Steelers "neglect inserting talent on the OL" when they spent last years first and this years second on the OL.
Or how "anybody can be a Steelers LB because it's plug-n-play"
Or how Ike was leaving a for a bigger paycheck.

That's all the stupidy I can remember now without actually looking it up.

And WTF is your constant obsession with Kordell Stewart? That dude has been off our team for years. Nobody gives a fuck about him anymore but you...

i never said he couldn't beat a 3-4. once again you lie...lmao.

you failed to mention the context and age of my post on the O-line and how i mentioned the steelers finally invested a worth 1st rounder in pouncey. see how well it worked out? but you said i didn't know anything about football. this leads me to my kordell comment. if i don't know anything about football this means you think kordell, as the starting QB, was a great idea. i have been suggesting the steelers to draft a QB in higher rounds, but to you that's was a ignorant and horrible idea. why do you think that? well you said i don't know anything about football so drafting BR was a dumb move, right? i also wanted porter released so harrison(the better LB) to start because i knew harrison would be awesome, but to you that was a bad idea.

i never anyone can play LB in the steelers' scheme. you lied again...lmao.

it's was my opinion taylor would leave for a big paycheck. many people thought the same. turns out no one was willing to give him that huge paycheck.

Nobody gives a fuck about him anymore but you

such anger and hostility. try to relax. you are losing it again : ) how many 4-letter words will you reply back with now? it's like i am talking to a raiders' fan...lol

O'Malley
08-21-2011, 05:51 PM
:blah::fish2::jerkit::boink::flame::troll::thumbdo wn::deadhorse::violin::mad::flipoff::mad2::banned:

O'Malley
08-21-2011, 05:51 PM
That summs it up....

Count Steeler
08-21-2011, 05:54 PM
:smileystooges::smileystooges::coffee:

43Hitman
08-21-2011, 08:24 PM
:pop2:

X-Terminator
08-21-2011, 08:41 PM
i didn't start this. i am not the one trolling. it's suitanim as usual just as he did on the other forum. i have asked him and mentioned to him to use the ignore feature, but he insists on stalking and obsessing over my every post.

this reminds me of the refs in the NFL. for example, if BR gets punched the refs overlook it, but if a steelers' player retaliates it then the ref steps in.

It doesn't matter who started it. I'm asking you both to stop it. Now.

suitanim
08-22-2011, 05:37 AM
i never said he couldn't beat a 3-4. once again you lie...lmao.

you failed to mention the context and age of my post on the O-line and how i mentioned the steelers finally invested a worth 1st rounder in pouncey. see how well it worked out? but you said i didn't know anything about football. this leads me to my kordell comment. if i don't know anything about football this means you think kordell, as the starting QB, was a great idea. i have been suggesting the steelers to draft a QB in higher rounds, but to you that's was a ignorant and horrible idea. why do you think that? well you said i don't know anything about football so drafting BR was a dumb move, right? i also wanted porter released so harrison(the better LB) to start because i knew harrison would be awesome, but to you that was a bad idea.

i never anyone can play LB in the steelers' scheme. you lied again...lmao.

it's was my opinion taylor would leave for a big paycheck. many people thought the same. turns out no one was willing to give him that huge paycheck.

such anger and hostility. try to relax. you are losing it again : ) how many 4-letter words will you reply back with now? it's like i am talking to a raiders' fan...lol

This post is a convoluted mess, and I never said or suggested any of the things you're accusing me of. You said Arians doesn't gameplan against the 3-4 (which implies we are weak and ineffective against the 3-4), We are not.

I have no idea what you're talking about with Kordella. He was makeshift stop-gap, a K-mart QB and that was the price the team paid for not having luxury boxes and PSL's. When we drafted Ben, I was posting on Steeler Nation and was all over that board begging the Steelers to draft him. I was standing in Heinz Fields parking lot leading the cheers the day we drafted him. It was no coincidence that we didn't find our hundred million dollar Qb until AFTER we built the new stadium.

I also have no idea what you're talking about with Porter and Harrison. Now, granted, I defended Porter because many, many people couldn't understand that he had not "lost a step", but in fact had become a complete 3-4 LB, and that meant that he dropped into coverage and had many responsibilities that detracted from his stats. I'm sure you were in that camp as well.

You said the Steelers LB position is "plug and play". That's a quote.

How does anyone know what other teams were willing to pay Ike? He signed with us the morning after FA opened...a clear indication he was telling the truth an wanted to stay a Steeler.

Dude, you're just so full of shit, it makes me laugh...you get caught in lies and making all kinds of ignorant statements, then try to blame me because I call attention to it.

stillers4me
08-22-2011, 05:47 AM
Do either of you understand the meaning of "knock it off"????????????

suitanim
08-22-2011, 06:51 AM
I'm not personally attacking him, I'm setting the record straight...and there is also football talk.

If someone says "You thought Kordell Stewart was a good QB, therefore you know nothing about football", when, in fact, all along I said he was mediocre (which he was), is one not allowed to set the record straight?

This started because sunshine said he wanted Hills cut. That's a nonsensical statement. It's not my fault it's a nonsensical statement, and it's not my fault for pointing out the nonsensical nature of the post. I may have gone a little overboard, but there's football talk here. There is content (at least in my posts).

HometownGal
08-22-2011, 06:58 AM
I'm not personally attacking him, I'm setting the record straight...and there is also football talk.

If someone says "You thought Kordell Stewart was a good QB, therefore you know nothing about football", when, in fact, all along I said he was mediocre (which he was), is one not allowed to set the record straight?

This started because sunshine said he wanted Hills cut. That's a nonsensical statement. It's not my fault it's a nonsensical statement, and it's not my fault for pointing out the nonsensical nature of the post. I may have gone a little overboard, but there's football talk here. There is content (at least in my posts).

Yes - there is "football talk" in your posts, Randy, but both of you went a bit overboard with the daggers. We would appreciate it if both of you would disagree and debate a little more respectfully. :drink:

Besides - you don't want to piss Barney off. :heh:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SifTL4fQql0/S-f1tpFFEvI/AAAAAAAAFz8/yfgbE4OwyOc/s400/medium_barney.jpg

Texasteel
08-22-2011, 07:00 AM
It doesn't matter how it started, nor who gets the last word. This has gone too far and needs to stop now please.

86WARD
08-22-2011, 07:45 AM
How about that Tony Hills?!? To get back on topic...

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Yes - there is "football talk" in your posts, Randy, but both of you went a bit overboard with the daggers. We would appreciate it if both of you would disagree and debate a little more respectfully. :drink:

Besides - you don't want to piss Barney off. :heh:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SifTL4fQql0/S-f1tpFFEvI/AAAAAAAAFz8/yfgbE4OwyOc/s400/medium_barney.jpg

lol

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2011, 09:57 AM
How about that Tony Hills?!? To get back on topic... Nice try.
Hills has always been athletic, but some would say he "doesnt have much sand in his pants" so looked to be a guy that might not anchor well in pass protection. But, he showed the past 2 years in preseason that he has good pad level and leverage when run blocking.

So, it looks like he has all the tools to play guard, but not the bulk maybe to handle the big guys like Haynesworth, Ngata, Wilfork, etc by his own in pass protection. He also shows the feet and technique to handle speed rushers on the outside, but is a question mark against the bull rush. I'm just happy it looks like he gonna contribute after 4 years.

suitanim
08-22-2011, 10:23 AM
I not only thought he looked pretty solid at guard, but he did a pretty good job at LT as well. He's also one of the few linemen who has looked decent in pass protection. It's beyond ridiculous to think of cutting him.

86WARD
08-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Agree 100% suit. He's been the best lineman this preseason...

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2011, 11:46 AM
I not only thought he looked pretty solid at guard, but he did a pretty good job at LT as well. He's also one of the few linemen who has looked decent in pass protection. It's beyond ridiculous to think of cutting him.

I agree, he wont get cut. Mostly because the Steelers have not really addressed the OT position in the past 4 seasons until Gilbert. Its why guys like Flo Adams, Jon Scott had to be signed, or Trai Essex extended. This is Hills last shot and if he doesnt perform this year he will be following other guys from his draft class like Bruce Davis, Limas Sweed, Mike Humpal (maybe Dennis Dixon this year).

GBMelBlount
08-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Nice try.
Hills has always been athletic, but some would say he "doesnt have much sand in his pants" so looked to be a guy that might not anchor well in pass protection. But, he showed the past 2 years in preseason that he has good pad level and leverage when run blocking.

So, it looks like he has all the tools to play guard, but not the bulk maybe to handle the big guys like Haynesworth, Ngata, Wilfork, etc by his own in pass protection. He also shows the feet and technique to handle speed rushers on the outside, but is a question mark against the bull rush. I'm just happy it looks like he gonna contribute after 4 years.

Why doesn't he work on gaining some weight and strength?

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Why doesn't he work on gaining some weight and strength?

I think he had developed strength under 4 years with Gerrit Giemont and the Steelers. He just doesnt have the naturally thick legs and butt that can help anchor. He's a guy that is kind of built like Jordan Gross.

Funny thing is that in Hills draft year he was compared to ....Jon Scott- RT for the Detroit Lions. The guy he replaced at Texas.

steeldevil
08-22-2011, 12:36 PM

He's awesome!! DUH!!! :chuckle:

tihmtahm
08-22-2011, 01:33 PM

Hillis?!? I thought this was a Kordell thread. :scratchchin: :huh:

86WARD
08-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Tsk Tsk!

suitanim
08-22-2011, 02:25 PM
If your goal is to trash an organization, you point out it's worst mistakes, not it's successes. That's why many people obsess over the Kordell years (although, to be fair, we also had the Mark Malone/David Woodley years, the Tomczak years, the Tommy Maddox years and the Bubby Brister years). All in all, Kordella actually probably had more success than most of those guys, but he was still, at best, a mediocre NFL QB, hence the moniker "Kordoza line".

Every organization makes mistakes. The Steelers make their fair share. But drafting is an inexact science. For every Brett Keisel you find in the 7th, you're going to have your fair share of Jermaine Stephens. It doesn't mean your front office is filled with morons. It's especially nice when you find a guy like Hills who looked like a bust and may turn out to be a pretty decent pick after all.

Count Steeler
08-22-2011, 04:16 PM
You can never tell when someone is going to click. Most of the NFL players are physical specimens, it is their mental state and character that makes the winning difference. Pretty hard to determine the winners in a limited time, losers are easier to find.

Credit to Tomlin for taking the challenge of Mr Rooney at the beginning of last year, that we must develop the younger players. While the 2008 draft is pretty much behind us now, 2009 and 2010 and even this year have promise.